PDA

View Full Version : A Job at Disneyland Resort

Tinker Bell
05-05-2004, 09:28 PM
I'm not sure if this is where i put this. But here it is.

I want to get a job at Disneyland. We need the extra money.I can only do part time.I do not want to be a singer, parade person, character in anyway (I have no talent). I can waiter, be a janitor,work on rides,or mail room person. Here is the thing. I was a teen mom. I have no job skill and have not had any job. Completed High school that is all. When I do get a job I would like to be home by 2:30.I know this asking a lot of a job.But i willing to get up early and go to work.

SweetAurora
05-05-2004, 09:48 PM
I'm not sure if this is where i put this. But here it is.

I want to get a job at Disneyland. We need the extra money.I can only do part time.I do not want to be a singer, parade person, character in anyway (I have no talent). I can waiter, be a janitor,work on rides,or mail room person. Here is the thing. I was a teen mom. I have no job skill and have not had any job. Completed High school that is all. When I do get a job I would like to be home by 2:30.I know this asking a lot of a job.But i willing to get up early and go to work.

Hi there Tink-

Well you can probably hire in for the summer as a Casual Temporary (part-time seasonal work), which will go up to Casual Regular if you stay past the summer. I think you can also be considered a "casual regular" if you hire in before the summer casting starts.

A lot of kids fresh out of high school (many without job experience) get jobs at the Resort. Unfortunately, casting people usually look for people with full availability--meaning that you can work anytime. I was turned down 2 summers ago for having one single week during the summer unavailable... you will probably have to call the casting office and tell them your specific needs, and hopefully they may accomodate to them.

Check out disneycareers.com and see other info about a job at the Resort.
Hope this helped you. If you need more questions answered, feel free to ask.

ToursbabeC3po
05-05-2004, 09:56 PM
As a new hire you would get mostly night shifts and weekends. People with high senority get the morning shifts and they are 8 hours long. Good Luck!
((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))
Tours

ChipmunkStar
05-05-2004, 10:39 PM
Yeah... most of our shifts are 8-430, 9-530, 10-630, or 4-8 (or some variation of those times). None really get out around 2... maybe if you tried for hotels you could ask for graveyard or something, but that's the only thing I can think of....

DCAWhites
05-06-2004, 08:05 AM
Yep, expect to work a ton of closing shifts when you start. Once you have been there awhile you can working earlier shifts, but they're more like 11:30-6 or so. However since there are SOOO many positions at the resort and so many schedules, you can work whenever you want pretty much once you have been there for awhile. If you want to be off by 2:30 pm when you are new, the only thing I can think of at the moment is 3rd shift custodial. All the depts you mentioned in your post (don't know about mail room) you'd be working short, 4 hour shifts from 5:30-9:30 or whenever and only get a $50 pay check some weeks. 3rd shift custodial workers get off by 8am-10am, but they start EARLY in the morning (we're talking 1am) and newer people that work in that department get more hours than new people in normal depts (you are guaranteed 6 hours but 8 is very common having seen their schedules out of curiosity). Plus you don't have to start out as a casual temporary with no benefits (custodial never seems to have any of them, we have 1 i believe).

As for getting hired, it isn't too terribly hard, provided you have good availibility and they are hiring when you go in (now would be a very good time). Pay, expect 7.60 to star, more for 3rd shift (like $1 more per hour, and extra if what you're doing pays a differential). Pay rises rapidly with the 2 raises per year of 3% and 5%, so in 3 years you'd make something decent. Benefit wise, you'll get a few days of vacation each year (which you can cash out), the main entrance sign in pass, and health care once you go up in status and work 25 hours or more per week.

dude
05-06-2004, 09:45 AM
I have a job question. I completed and turned in an application in early April and the casting office told me they would call me sometime in the first week of May for an interview, when positions for minors open up. It is now Thursday, and I haven't heard anything. Does this mean they aren't interested? Should I go back and complete another application?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Niwel
05-06-2004, 09:51 AM
Hey Tink -- I saw postings on Disney Careers and they are looking for people in the departments you mentioned. I think you should go for it -- the worst that would happen is they say "no," but you never know until you try. They will train you in any position. A high school education is minimal for any CM, so I wouldn't worry about that. And about having no job skill -- being a mom is a job. You probably have more skills than you think you do. If you know how to work with people and can follow procedure/directions you've got it.
In your interview just tell them things you've done during high school -- were you ever a leader of a group? When you work with others what role do you usually take? How did you handle a difficult situation?

DCAWhites was correct about the seniority. When I worked in Fantasyland most of the others on morning shift had been there 15+ years -- with the newer people working later in the day. However, each department runs differently.

If you want to learn more about the interview process or stories about being a CM, visit Cast Place (http://www.mouseplanet.com/kevin/).

Please keep us posted about what happens. :)

Niwel
05-06-2004, 10:02 AM
I'd give them a call -- if you don't hear today, call tomorrow or Monday. You shouldn't need to fill out another application. They might be going down a list and just haven't gotten to your name yet. If they aren't interested they should tell you then.

I have a job question. I completed and turned in an application in early April and the casting office told me they would call me sometime in the first week of May for an interview, when positions for minors open up. It is now Thursday, and I haven't heard anything. Does this mean they aren't interested? Should I go back and complete another application?

littlemermaid
05-06-2004, 10:22 AM

If they weren't interested they would have sent you a letter in the mail. i got turned down because i wasn't sure if i would be fully available but then went back again and they ended up hiring me. so my suggestion is to call them and see whats up with you application. good luck.

Tinker Bell
05-06-2004, 10:30 AM
Thank you for your help. I was not looking in those areas just tring to say I will do anything any where. I dont know what kind of jobs there are so I was guessing what there was.I have no talent so I do not want to ruin some kids day by being a losey minnie or something like that.Plus all my friends say I would be bad at that cause I love to talk.They keep telling me that they would duck tape my mouth shut to get me to stop talking in on of those outfits.
One other thing does Disney have day care? I will still have a kid home she will be 2 in a couple weeks.And we have no freinds or family in the area to help with her that is the only problem i have in getting a Job.What to do with my DD.

Niwel
05-06-2004, 11:15 AM
I checked the benefit site at Disney Careers and found this as a benefit to all CMs:
Personal Assistant Network® : resource & referral program to assist with work/personal life decisions such as childcare, time management, budgeting, et.

When you call the job line 800-766-0888 their might be a way to talk to a live person and you can ask them.

One other thing does Disney have day care? I will still have a kid home she will be 2 in a couple weeks.And we have no freinds or family in the area to help with her that is the only problem i have in getting a Job.What to do with my DD.

DCAWhites
05-06-2004, 09:28 PM
No childcare at the park, I think florida's disney world has that (hell the high schools there have day care centers for the students too), but I'd bet they have SOME program where they'd help you find a babysitter or daycare center. However a babysitter can end up costing more than you make at disneyland, so if you really need the money to do it, disney can probably help you get money from the state or wherever.

And if you LOVE to talk thats a big plus when you go into your interview. you loose major points for being excessively shy.

Tinker Bell
05-06-2004, 09:33 PM
High school here in Cal have childcare too. If they didn't I would not have grad.

dude
05-07-2004, 09:36 AM
I'd give them a call -- if you don't hear today, call tomorrow or Monday. You shouldn't need to fill out another application. They might be going down a list and just haven't gotten to your name yet. If they aren't interested they should tell you then.

So should I call the jobline or is there another number that goes directly to the casting department?

Niwel
05-07-2004, 12:57 PM
Try the jobline first. If that doesn't work, call the disneyland operator (714) 781-0000 and ask to speak to someone in Casting.

So should I call the jobline or is there another number that goes directly to the casting department?