PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland Park vs. WDW Magic Kingdom

SimpTwister
10-25-2001, 11:00 PM
DL vs. MK comes up all the time, but I haven't seen a thread dedicated to the subject (forgive me if I've missed it).

Anyhoo...

Obviously DL has the superior versions of Pirates, IASW, and HM.

MK does have its advantages, though. Big Thunder Mountain is HUGE at WDW. The mega-castle is cool. I like MK's JC... the part where you go through the temple!

Oh, and MK has an ACTUAL Tomorrowland, with SEVERAL ATTRACTIONS! (Though with CoP and Timekeeper closed, it looks like they're trying to emulate the wonders of DL's Non-TL. :rolleyes: Ingenious.)

The setting of MK is much better than that of DL. With the lake out front, the ferry dock, etc.

I also like the 'alternate universe' aspect of MK. Since I'm more accustomed to DL, it's a gas being in MK and feeling like "I recognize everything, but... it's all... different...".

Nigel2
10-26-2001, 01:33 AM
There have been a few threads on this subject, but Disneyland is still somewhat superior to MK. Even when we have some cloned rides like SM we have better versions than them, we also redo rides for the holidays, and yes as you said our pirates is superior.

DisneylandKid
10-26-2001, 05:45 AM
Disneyland has New Orleans Square, Roger Rabbit, Alice in Wonderland, Storybookland, Autopia, Critter Country, Indiana Jones Adventure, Mr. Toad, Casey Jr.---WDW does not.

I've also heard that our Fantasmic, Tom Sawyer's Island, Space Mountain, Pirates, Small World, & Haunted Mansion is better.

WDW also doesn't have that "Walt Was Here" feeling.

innerSpaceman
10-26-2001, 07:24 AM
Well, where to start?

Let's see - WDW's Main Street is a collection of overblown, victorian monstrosities that would never have been found on any Main Street USA. Every building looks like a cartoon. Every single one has an American flag flying atop - appropriate at last after 30-odd years. None of the charm and scale of DL's Main Street. The story goes that the Castle had to be hugely increased from it's planned scale so that it could be seen from across the Lagoon, and then everything on Main Street was scaled up to match. Big mistake.

And what about that Castle? Well, some like it, some don't. It's awfully white, awfully straight in its lines, and awfully big. Some applaud the realistic scale. I bemoan the loss of the charming, slightly smaller-than-full scale so lovingly used throughout Disneyland that is completely missing from the Tragic Kingdom.

The layout of the place is all done in vast, straight-line sprawls. None of the twisting, turning, curvaceous design of Disneyland that, in it's brainlike structure, provides the illusion that the place is bigger than it really is. The Tragic Kingdom doesn't need that illusion, it really is big. Walkways rarely get choked or crowded. But they look awfully bare and boring in their vastness and linear layout.

No one seems to have gotten the word that King Arthur style Fantasyland went out in 1983. They finally got a decent-looking Dumbo a few years back, but then went ahead and got rid of their only good dark ride (Snow White - a laugh riot compared to Disneyland's), got rid of Mr. Toad, got rid of their lone remaining Disney skyway, and got rid of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. It's a Small World has always been an embarrasment of design that was notably not repeated in Tokyo or Paris.

In Frontierland, you cannot walk along the riverfront. The Haunted Mansion is a cake-top setpiece that you cannot walk up to and go inside (you must use the "side entrance" underneath to preserve the illusion of the tiny structure being an actual mansion.) Tom Saywer Island is paved! I will grant that Big Thunder Railroad and Splash Mountain are both very different from the West Coast versions, and both very good.

Pirates of the Caribbean is a complete joke. As you may know, it was not planned to exist at this park, but the public clamoured for it. And what did they get? A second-rate rip-off!

Tomorrowland got a decent face-lift a few years back after being even more embarassing than Disneyland's for years. Of course, they stole all the attractions that were planned for Anaheim. But that's another story. Even with the recent rash of ride closures in this Land, Florida's Tomorrowland now beats the west's by a mile.

WDW's Space Mountain is terrific. It's the original. Liberty Sqaure is very charming. It's not a copy. The rest of the park has a knock-off aura, a complete lack of charm. For a while, improvements were set to lift the Tragic Kingdom out of the doldroms. The new Dumbo, their Splash Mountain, their new Tomorrowland. Finally getting the place on the right track. But that wave has passed, and the fade is back on.

As for being located across the lake, boy is that a pain in the butt. Must park your car, take a shuttle, and then hop on a monorail or boat or another tram to get to the park. Long lines to face before you even get there. I used to laugh and laugh at this ill-conceived set up - that is, until Disneyland lost it's adjacent parking lot. Well, at least it's still one shuttle away, instead of a shuttle and a boat ride.

You know, I must admit I have not been to Tokyo or to Paris. But the Tragic Kingdom confirms my opinion of sequels. They're soulless works, devoid of the creative spark. It has always amazed me that, with a perfect example to work from, the creators of the Tragic Kingdom brought forth a decidedly substandard work. I'm convinced that, though they try to clone the original throughout the world, the original Disneyland cannot be successfully duplicated.

hbquikcomjamesl
10-26-2001, 08:05 AM
Personally, while I agree that WDW-MK is perhaps a bit lacking in the charm and the "Walt was there" feeling of DL, it also has quite a few things in its favor. Like the fact that, between its sheer size, and the fact that there are three other theme parks to put new attractions, it doesn't have to close existing attractions in order to make room for new ones (never mind that it's done so anyway). I like Liberty Square. I like WDW-Tomorrowland.

The biggest thing for me, though, is that its layout is just close enough to that of DL that I constantly found myself automatically expecting certain things to be in certain places, and was perpetually being surprised when they turned out to be someplace else.

I'm planning to go back in 13 months, this time for an adequately long stay.

mad4mky
10-26-2001, 09:52 AM
And there is a much longer walk between attractions. The place is very large...a lot more space! Disneyland has that "homey" feeling.

hbquikcomjamesl
10-26-2001, 10:03 AM
Oh, yes, and I almost forgot:

1. Parades can run an odd number of times in WDW-MK (and in DCA) and always run in the same direction, because both ends of the parade route lead back to the warehouse. (Good Lord, was THAT a shock last November!)

2. WDW-MK has a full basement, so you don't have such huge chunks of land set aside as backstage areas, or CMs having to walk through areas they weren't costumed for (the latter especially was Walt's pet peeve that he couldn't do anything about in DL).

BTW: Do Tokyo Disneyland or Disneyland Paris have Utilidors?

But I agree with DL having a more "homey" feel to it than any of the post-Walt parks.

While I actually DO like Innoventions (it's a good place to kill time during the hottest part of the day, when the "WaterBabies #50 sunscreen" is starting to both wear off and give me a rash), I'd be the first to say "good riddance" if losing it meant getting the Carousel of Progress back. Pity I never saw it, and was too young to appreciate it, back when it was here.

innerSpaceman
10-26-2001, 10:47 AM
Yes, the acquisition of Carousel of Progress was one of the few real advantages for Florida, especially went they reverted to the original theme song about 5 years ago. Their choice to dump it after so tenderly revising it as a tribute to Walt is just shocking and stupid. Will they repeat the Disneyland boondoggle of having the structure remain empty for 15 years only to return with something incredibly lame?

Nigel2
10-26-2001, 10:04 PM
I always thought this was somewhat funny, We had a souther HM, they have a northern HM and DLP has a Midwest/western HM. Its funny but they have clones of ours and we have clones of their attractions, but somehow they turned out better here than at WDW. I also Hate Countdown/Dino.

USofA
10-27-2001, 02:38 AM
Most of you would consider this blasphemy, but I think that the Magic Kingdom at WDW is much better than Disneyland. I know there are specific examples of individual attractions that are better at DL, Small World, Pirtates, etc

That said, MK has a much better atmosphere. If you are going to a theme park, space is something that is good. Clogged Streets, jostling crowds, avoiding strollers, and hot sweaty crowds shoulder to shoulder do not make the top ten list of vacation memories. In this way MK way exceeds DL.

The scale of MK vs DL point is true. My first thoughts on returning to DL after visiting MK was the castle isnt a castle, its an undersized prop. MK's castle is the scale of a fairy tale castle. The restaurant in the castle is a fantastic touch. At least they have fixed the naming problem. (Why in the world would Sleeping Beauty's Stepfather run a restaurant in Cinderella's Castle?)

Tomorrowland at MK is a definate improvement. Much better layout. and...it has attractions.

As for the lagoon. That was Walt's idea and another definate winner. compare the entrance to DL prior to DCA. city streets, tram accross the parkinglot to ticket booth, to railroad station, under the tunnel...There is the magic. Now MK, beautiful parkways, to parkinglot (if you are staying off property) magic transportaion cener of the future with monorails gliding back and forth. or old fashioned ferry accross lake, Castle gleaming in the sun. definately not in the real world, to the park entrance. Memories are made that way.

overall score-->MK is the new and improved version of Disneyland. Took the mistakes of DL (yes, we have to admit Walt made a few) and fixed them. Overcourse there were a few ones made aswell.

Fantasyland is definately a fantasyland, not based on anyplace you find today.

Final Point. People visit Disneyland to go to Disneyland and some to DTD and DCA. People go to WDW to visit MK, Epcot, D-MGM, and DAK as well as other on property activities. WDW was always planned to be a larger experience. To be fair, you have to compare both resorts to each other. And then hands down WDW wins. Disneyland is great, can't wait to go back again, but will always end up spending the extra to enjoy the full WDW vacation. The pixie dust is so much brighter in the Eastern Orange County.

I hope I didnt offend any of you DL lovers, because I definately love it there. worked there in college. Of course, my real claim to history was being the first one accross the drawbridge when they lowered it at the opening of the new Fantasyland. That is a magical momment that MK can never reach. see I love DL too

Scott

zapppop
10-27-2001, 05:37 AM
Disneyland.
It had Walt's personal touch.

mspangler
10-27-2001, 07:59 AM
Disneyland, of course.

WDW is too spread out. And since the air is so darn humid, along with the tropical storms Florida has, most things are indoors or under canopies. Something we never needed in DL. (I hate the humidity!)

No NOS. No Critter Country. A Fantasyland that's a joke (no Matterhorn either). No charm.

And not to mention the fact that, everywhere you go, there's a boat, tram, monorail, or bus you have to take to get there. Nothing like the DLR. With just 2 parks, I can take one tram up to both gates, and walk back and forth in a very short time. And we have a Downtown Disney that's convienient to both.

stinkyface
10-27-2001, 08:22 AM
this will sound silly, but the first thing that struck me about DL after many visits to wdw was the bathrooms. at DL they are smaller and in many cases tucked away in little nooks. none of the industrial size bathrooms we have at WDW.

Main Street Magic
10-27-2001, 10:31 AM
OK...I've heard both sides of the argument and I've been to both parks. In fact I am a former CM at DL who now lives closer to WDW so, obviously I get down to WDW more often and let's face it, each park has something good to offer. However, when I wander through the MK I am not thinking..."gosh this is better at ..." or "I really liked that better than the one at ...." I just enjoy myself. Let's face it, I don't want both parks to be the same. If they were, why go to both? Besides, when I go to DL I have memories of things that aren't there now (flying saucers, the mine train, the Golden Horseshoe Review) but that doesn't make my visit any worse. I have the same feelings when I visit the Magic Kingdom. Oh sure, the mansion is different and so is Small World and Pirates but then I can do things at the Magic Kingdom that I can't do at DL (we do some of the backlot tours that are given). What I am saying is that my visits to either Magic Kingdom are Disney moments to me! Sure, I miss the Matterhorn and you can't find a Magic Shop in the Magic Kingdom but I do find a good time every time I go. I am at the moment planning for our next trip, sometime next year when I finally get to take my grandson and show him the company that his grandfather worked for. One of these days I'll return to DL and walk up Main Street and remember the day I stood on the castle drawbridge, alone in the park hours before it opened.....similar to the photo that you see of Walt...... I'll walk among all the good memories of DL and remember the good times I had there and not once will I compare the size of the buildings to the size of the buildings at the Magic Kingdom or that there's a lake in front of the Magic Kingdom and that DL is surrounded by Anaheim! They're both GREAT! Thanks Walt! But the parks can be better. Restore DL to where it belongs! To the Disney company, put some money into the parks to make them all the crowning monuments that DL used to be! Don't let them go downhill! Remember the Magic!:D

rexfarms
10-27-2001, 12:17 PM
Totally for Disneyland, but....Put this threat in the WDW Resort section, and I think you will know the results;)

DisneyFreak2000
10-27-2001, 07:10 PM
Right now, I'm too lazy to sit down and right out what each park is better at, etc. and so forth. I personally like Disneyland better because it IS more magical, we have the Walt walked on this very street, Walt hand created this very ride feel. Also, people try to use the whole surrondended by Anaheim thing against us, but it helps our case. At Disneyland Resort, the hotels and DTD all mix into Anaheim a little but also giving it the old time charm. Everything is perfectly accesible and laid out at Disneyland Resort. The hotels, DTD, DCA and DL are all cramped up next to eachother making it feel like they've cramped so much more magic into such a little space. Then upon entering Disneyland, all the sights and sounds of Anaheim disappeer as if you have entered some other magical destination. No matter where you go in the park, you get the same magical feeling and we have more nooks and crannies and DETAIL than Magic Kingdom has. Sure our castle may not be as big, but the magic is much greater. This is why DCA isn't thought of to be very magical, because of the fact that upon entering DCA you don't get such a magic rush because it's wide and spread out as well as the fact that you see ANAHEIM. If they covered the berm, it would improve the experience. In WDW all the surrondings are laid out, and isolated. Everything is accessible but it is so far away and distant it is a pain in the _ _ _ to get from one park to another, hotel to restarurant, etc. Upon entering the MK, you get a magcial feeling but it's so spread out and wide like the rest of the resort it doesn't seem as magnificent. To this day, entering the park at DL and walking down Main Street towards the castle gets me a little sentimental because of the fact that in our world it is one of the last places you can find magic. I think Disneyland Park is far superior to Magic Kingdom, and Disneyland Resort is far superior than that of Walt Disney World Resort.

-$00.02 from the mind of Christopher :D

Morrigoon
10-27-2001, 07:18 PM
:ahem: WDW's Space Mtn is NOT original. It's the Matterhorn track in a different housing. DL's "copy" Space Mountain is actually an original track/design.

DisneyFreak2000
10-27-2001, 07:20 PM
Right now, I'm too lazy to sit down and right out what each park is better at, etc. and so forth. I personally like Disneyland better because it IS more magical, we have the Walt walked on this very street, Walt hand created this very ride feel. Also, people try to use the whole surrondended by Anaheim thing against us, but it helps our case. At Disneyland Resort, the hotels and DTD all mix into Anaheim a little but also giving it the old time charm. Everything is perfectly accesible and laid out at Disneyland Resort. The hotels, DTD, DCA and DL are all cramped up next to eachother making it feel like they've cramped so much more magic into such a little space. Then upon entering Disneyland, all the sights and sounds of Anaheim disappeer as if you have entered some other magical destination. No matter where you go in the park, you get the same magical feeling and we have more nooks and crannies and DETAIL than Magic Kingdom has. Sure our castle may not be as big, but the magic is much greater. This is why DCA isn't thought of to be very magical, because of the fact that upon entering DCA you don't get such a magic rush because it's wide and spread out as well as the fact that you see ANAHEIM. If they covered the berm, it would improve the experience. In WDW all the surrondings are laid out, and isolated. Everything is accessible but it is so far away and distant it is a pain in the _ _ _ to get from one park to another, hotel to restarurant, etc. Upon entering the MK, you get a magcial feeling but it's so spread out and wide like the rest of the resort it doesn't seem as magnificent. To this day, entering the park at DL and walking down Main Street towards the castle gets me a little sentimental because of the fact that in our world it is one of the last places you can find magic. I think Disneyland Park is far superior to Magic Kingdom, and Disneyland Resort is far superior than that of Walt Disney World Resort.

-$00.02 from the mind of Christopher :D

SimpTwister
10-27-2001, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by Morrigoon
:ahem: WDW's Space Mtn is NOT original. It's the Matterhorn track in a different housing. DL's "copy" Space Mountain is actually an original track/design.

OK Morrigoon, I know you're a genius and I've said so, but I'm a bit skeptical of this...

USofA
10-27-2001, 09:16 PM
It is true. Space Mt. at WDW is the same roller coaster as Matterhorn. When the ride was brought to DL, they had to make many changes. Among them, the attraction is inside the berm, in WDW it is located outside the berm. Because of this the mountain had to be shrunk to not be seen over the top of Main Street That is why you go down the ramps, the loading area is below ground to lower the overall height of the attraction. In addition a new track design was conceived. If you visit WDW you will notice the difference right away, two loading stations, inline seating, and seperate tracks. Space Mountain in Tokyo is a clone of DL and Paris is an altogether different design, (It is the same ride design as Rock N Rollercoaser in Disney MGM in FL.

Morrigoon
10-27-2001, 09:32 PM
OK Morrigoon, I know you're a genius and I've said so, but I'm a bit skeptical of this...

Simp: your check's in the mail (I only docked you $5 for the skepticism....)

SimpTwister
10-27-2001, 09:42 PM
Heehee, I'll be watching my mailbox... :)

Still, I find it hard to believe that two coasters built 15-odd years apart by different companies (Arrow for Matterhorn, Disney for SM, right?) are identical.

They both use tubular-steel track of course, but as I recall the track has a completely different appearence between the two rides.

Also, Matterhorn is quite rough, while WDW SM, as I recall, is much smoother.

I guess I could believe that the layouts of the two (well, four) tracks are NEARLY identical... Does this satisfy you, Morrigoon and USofA?

Nigel2
10-27-2001, 10:35 PM
I thought that WDW SM is still pretty rough, but I am not sure how it is in comparison, but it needs music to make it more thrilling.

innerSpaceman
10-28-2001, 06:03 AM
Ok, with all due respect - I'm gonna need blueprint proof before I will believe that Florida Space Mountain has the same track layout as the Matterhorn. For starters, Disneyworld's Space Mountain has a much larger footprint than the Matterhorn, so maybe the track layouts are similar, but no way can they be identical.

Anyway, when I said that Florida's Space Mountain was the original, that was true - whether or not the track layout was copied from another ride. There's so much more to the attraction than the track layout.

SimpTwister
10-28-2001, 01:09 PM
Here's an excellent photo of Matterhorn's track- about the best one could ever expect, anyway.

http://members.tripod.com/~GLBsCAZone/d5842-15.html

It's from GLB's PhotoZone. If you haven't seen this site, you may want to poke around a little bit.

The site features aerial photos of several Disney and non-Disney theme parks, etc.

Anyone have construction or lights-on photos of WDW SM online?