PDA

View Full Version : space mountain, what is it exactly?

Hakuna Makarla
05-05-2004, 04:44 PM
is there a picture of it, and what did it do. Some say they missed it terribly, and now some say its a bunk ride and no biggie about its reapearance. I would love to know what kind of ride it was/ is thanks

disNeytEen
05-05-2004, 04:46 PM
a ride.

No but really its a ride were you board a space ship looking coaster and you ride the coaster through the "galaxy". Just like BTM just themed around Space.

Ghoulish Delight
05-05-2004, 04:48 PM
Space Mountain is a high speed adventure through space. :fez:

It was an indoor rollercoaster. Fast and fun. If by saying people think it's "no biggie" that it's returning, what we mean is that we're annoyed that the fact that it's reopening is beign billed as part of the 50th anniversary celebration. It was closed because it had fallen into such a state of disrepair that they had to rebuild it from the ground up. So it's a bit annoying for them to tout how wonderful it is that they are ropening a ride that was broken due to lack of maintanance.

orangechicken
05-05-2004, 04:50 PM
My favorite ride EVER. You board "spaceships" or whatever, then are taken up a steep ramp with laser lighting effects and stuff. You start to go down the track and are speeding through almost-complete darkness. You feel like if you put your hands up you'll hit the supports over your head, it's really really cool. It feels like you're going pretty fast, but you're actually not. I miss it but it will probably come back better than ever.

Pedro2NR
05-05-2004, 05:10 PM
Space Mountain was first built in Florida because the wet weather there and couldn't built a Matterhorn Mountain. So they made a "Indoor Coaster" themed in Tommorowland. Does anybody have guesses on what the 50th SM will have?(besides a new track)

disNeytEen
05-05-2004, 05:13 PM
I read somewere that they were going to offer two version of SM one during the day then some special one during the night. Its supposed to have some extra special effects and other stuff. Wait one minute and i'll find the website were it tells of this.

disNeytEen
05-05-2004, 05:14 PM
http://www.cinemazement.com/wd3.htm is were it backs up what i said

christina
05-05-2004, 05:21 PM
Cool!! 2 versions, I wonder if this is true. I miss Space Mtn so much! But when the heck is it truely going to open? The website said summer 2005 but I've in several threads that it's not opening till Novenber :(

disNeytEen
05-05-2004, 05:25 PM
Does anyone else have facts that support "Rocket Mountain" the night time Space Mountain

KeithOfTerror
05-05-2004, 06:15 PM
That sounds far too out-there for Disneyland...but lord, it would rule.

adriennek
05-05-2004, 10:28 PM
This article here (http://www.mouseplanet.com/kkrock/dockrock-2.htm) is part one of Doc Krock's three part article all about Space Mountain. Parts two and three are linked in the sidebar. They're kinda techie but part three linked here (http://www.mouseplanet.com/kkrock/dockrock-5.htm) includes some pictures of the model of the Space Mountain track.

Adrienne

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
05-06-2004, 11:26 PM
I think SM is a great ride. And I think that it is a wonderful time to reopen the ride, the 50th.

Grumpy4
05-07-2004, 03:16 PM
Space Mountain is a high speed adventure through space. :fez:

It was closed because it had fallen into such a state of disrepair that they had to rebuild it from the ground up. So it's a bit annoying for them to tout how wonderful it is that they are ropening a ride that was broken due to lack of maintanance.

WooHoo! Thank you Paul Pressler and Cynthia Harris!!!!

hbquikcomjamesl
05-07-2004, 07:31 PM
The original Florida Space Mountain (if you superimposed WDW-MK's Tomorrowland on DL's Tomorrowland, Space Mountain's entrance would be about where our Tomorrowland DRR Station is) is a high-speed, multi-car, computer-controlled space-travel-themed rollercoaster, built on approximately the same track plan as our Matterhorn. Ours (which was on the drawing board, in about the same location it ended up, without the name, for quite some time before WDW was even built) followed a few years later, with a completely different track plan, and 2-across seating (as opposed to the single-file seating of the original, and of our Matterhorn). The lowest points of the track were sunk about 20' below grade, so that the show building would be no taller than Sleeping Beauty Castle. Sometime in the 1990s, the cars were retrofitted with sound systems, which (when they're working; they've been working every time I've ridden it since sound was added) play Dick Dale's surf guitar version of "Aquarium," from Saint-Saens' "Carnival of the Animals." (I remember the first time I rode it after that was added: I was about halfway down before I realized why it sounded so familiar!)

Early concepts of Space Mountain called for part of the track to be outside the show building; this idea finally came to fruition in the Paris Space Mountain, which has a cannon-like outside launch tube that suggests something out of Jules Verne's From the Earth to the Moon

Our Space Mountain was originally painted white, much like the Florida version; it was repainted in the current scheme (that many people loathe) during the most recent Tomorrowland renovation.

The Magic Eye Theatre/Imagination Institute was originally an open-air ampitheatre that, in turn, replaced the original "Tomorrowland Stage" that had been torn down to make room for Space Mountain. It was converted to an enclosed 3-D theatre after a summer test of "Magic Journeys" proved wildly successful; for some years, it ran the Michael Jackson/Anjelica Huston 3-D film, "Captain EO."

The roof of the Magie Eye Theatre was originally the queue for Space Mountain, and the fastpass area was originally a counter-service restaurant.