PDA

View Full Version : The 50th Plans: Why are you not excited?

Pages : [1] 2 3

wonderful
05-05-2004, 03:11 PM
Your reasons might be many and might be valid, but take a moment and think of where this all was two years ago...
The buzz online spelled disaster. Cynthia was going to turn the party into a pin event and everything, EVERYTHING was a mess... a Mount Rushmore Matterhorn, no new attractions, and some weird news about La Nouba at the Resort!
Today they announce (officially) what could very well be the best version of the Buzz attraction to date, the re-launch of Space Mountain which, in spite of its rather early closure, was ALWAYS a part of the plan, what looks like an amazing parade, a new fireworks show, and Tower opened to park guests today... and what is the most talked about aspect?
THE CASTLE! The @%#$ CASTLE! The castle which, from the concept art, will only have slightly more decor than it does during the holidays, is being heatedly discussed, but why? As someone posted earlier, the changes are temp-or-ary! And if it looks like a My Little Princess castle, well, gee... maybe those hordes of little girls who come to the park might enjoy it! Maybe we might enjoy it, too! Why not wait and see and just look forward to seeing the decorations come up? No one I know LOVES everybodys idea of how to decorate for christmas, but I'll be darned if there's not a little romance, magic and wonder in just about any christmas display I see... I think the same holds true for a celebration. Yeah, you might've done it different, but that doesn't make what they've come up with bad. In my opinion, it looks kinda neat, and I'm excited to see what giant jewels look like... then again, I LOVE Vegas, so i guess I am a bit biased.
The point is that there is so much good happening at the Resort right now that it seems like such a disservice to the general public to zero in on the Castle's decor. And it simply feeds into the mind set of "well if we just do merch events, they grumble; if we add attractions, the grumble; the merch events cost less, so..." I'm all for giving it to THE MAN (or the Mouse) when he deserves it, but a little credit, even a "gee, thanks for doing SOMETHING" goes a long way. You can't trust a public (or Board) that only praises your every move. Conversely, you can't trust a public (or pad) that only critisizes your every move.
That's all.
The parade is my favorite part... death to POTS!!!!

disNeytEen
05-05-2004, 03:15 PM
Uno Momento what does POTS mean

Khiori
05-05-2004, 03:16 PM
Uno Momento what does POTS mean

I was wondering the same thing :confused:

disneynut
05-05-2004, 03:18 PM
Parade of the Stars

MartyLuvsTigger
05-05-2004, 03:20 PM
Parade Of Stars (aka Disney under glass :) )

Tinker Bell
05-05-2004, 03:20 PM
My one and only things is this.Its Disneyland Birthday why are they doing this stuff for the other places.I like that the ship is coming here kinda makes it sound like its Disneyland Birthday.

I liked POTS only cause I was in it once.

Kevy Baby
05-05-2004, 03:22 PM
Parade Of The Stars - the current parade in Disneyland

Oops - got distracted and posted redunt info - sorry

Not Afraid
05-05-2004, 03:26 PM
Parade of the Stars

HBTiggerFan
05-05-2004, 03:29 PM
This is Disneylands 50th birthday and WDW is getting a new E-ticket, new fireworks, new parade, recycled stunt show. Tokoyo Disneyland is getting a new E-ticket and new parade. Hong Kong DL is going to open, DLP isn't getting anything.

DCA is getting a new parade.

Disneyland is getting a recycled E-Ticket (may be the best version but it's still recycled), reopening of a closed attraction with some new effects (a ride they were going to have to fix anyways), a new parade, new fireworks.

The question is this: WHY is WDW getting so much stuff for DLs birthday?!?! We didn't get squat for WDWs birthday, or Walts birthday. I can almost understand TDL getting stuff since OLC is funding most of it, but WDW getting anything for DLs birthday is unexcuseable.

Focus on DLR! The birthday is of the DLR! Not of WDW.

We really are the neglected red headded step-child.

zapppop
05-05-2004, 03:30 PM
I look forward to the celebration but feel today's announcement was a bit flat because no 'new' news was announced.

Some of the special offerings are the exact same four that Cynthia Harris pitched [ 1. Gold Castle 2. New Fireworks 3. New Parade 4. Reopen Space Mtn.] which didn't impress anyone (except Cynthia, maybe :~D )

The additions Jay Rasulo and Matt Ouimet made [ Buzz Lightyear's Astro Blasters, Disneyland Retrospec. & Cruise Line coming to the west coast ] are very much appreciated, but the information was leaked months ago. No 'new' news was announced at the event today.

Plus the celebrating at the other Disney resorts makes the celebration here seem less special.

I think that's why people were a bit disappointed; but hey, it's still a year away. Who knows what may change over the next year ?!

BTW: (The 45 Years Of Magic Parade) Of The Stars is not really dying. It's being shipped to Penny's Bay, Lantau Isle to become the daytime parade at Hong Kong Disneyland. It just keeps going and going and going.....http://members.aol.com/mreurodisney/images/rolleyes.gif

SweetAurora
05-05-2004, 03:40 PM
Well I didn't go to work today to see the announcements on Cast TV, but it looks as if I haven't missed anything...

Except this--what about that memo Matt sent out months ago about the Tiki Room closing this fall (for refurbishment perhaps, or otherwise..?) ? Has anybody found out anything else about that? Since they didn't announce anything about it today, I'm wondering if it's being closed for good.

I just CAN'T believe there's nothing about the submarines...

Who else thinks the "newest" tomorrowland is going to be DOA?

Disneyfreak
05-05-2004, 03:41 PM
This stinks so bad. I would have been happy if they would have given us these things:

1. Tehitian Terrace
2. Big Thunder BBQ
3. Redo of Tomorrowland
4. Submarine Voyage
5. Peoplemover
6. Movie Change for Star Tours

Those 6 things would have made me really happy.
I guess we have to wait sixty years before we get all this stuff lol. It seems like they only build major things every ten years which is absolutely rediculous. I am also very angry that they are giving WDW more things then we are getting for the celebration. I mean our park seems to be getting $%#% as of late and I am sick and tired of it. :mad:

EandCDad
05-05-2004, 03:52 PM
I honestly don't care that the ride is recycled. I haven't ridden it before. I've never been to WDW or Tokyo Disney. I'm glad they are bringing it here, it's exciting, I'm sure the kids will love it.

New parade, great. New fireworks, great. New ride, great. New track on an old ride, great. Add to that the recently opened Tower of Terror and there are several new reasons to get excited about going next year.

cstephens
05-05-2004, 04:04 PM
This stinks so bad. I would have been happy if they would have given us these things:

1. Tehitian Terrace
2. Big Thunder BBQ
3. Redo of Tomorrowland
4. Submarine Voyage
5. Peoplemover
6. Movie Change for Star Tours

If you're only going to be happy if all of those things happen, you're going to be unhappy for a very long time.

Gemini Cricket
05-05-2004, 04:14 PM
Here's why I am not excited:

Disneyland has been neglected for a very long time.

No new E ticket since Indy. We're getting a rebuilt Space Mtn, that needs to be rebuilt because the track was neglected. So we're not getting anything new, the ride is a clone of the old one. And it needed to be fixed anyway. They're not giving us a gift, they're fixing an old gift and trying to pass it off as something new and amazing. ie. Once I got a watch for a Xmas present from my parents. It broke. So they got it fixed and then presented it to me in March as my birthday present. Wooo Hooo :| . True story.

Just recently, the buildings in the park have been painted. Prior to this, they were left in such a faded state that it started to look like other theme parks out there that started with a good theme and then gave up (Six Flags, Knott's etc). I mean, have you seen the Tiki Room roof? It has looked like that for a long, long time.

Disney World, because it's bigger, has more parks and thus more people going to it, gets all the new stuff. The Mouse feels like they don't have to do much to Disneyland because people will go to the park based on its good name. ie. A while ago, all of the mountains were down, being worked on, recovering from a death on it, etc. The attendance didn't drop. The suits see this and say, 'Heck, we don't need to do anything to make this place popluar. It already is.'

The Disney Cruise line is coming to California. Woo pee. Do you know how much it is to do a cruise on the Disney Magic? A lot. Where's the incentive for the guests who have been fans of the park for 50 years? Now they get to spend a couple of thousand dollars on a boat trip? Great... What does the cruise ship have to do with Disneyland? Nothing.

For the 40th Anniversary, they were giving away prizes and had special events, collector's cards, concerts etc. They're not doing this for the 50th which is supposed to be even more spectacular than the 40th. They're just strip mining what they already have: Space Mtn, the castle, a fireworks show, a parade, Julie Andrews and 'regifting' us all this in celebration of the park. So what? Who cares. Whether they really did or not, Disneyland used to make us believe that they cared about the guest. Now it's irrelevant.

The economy is to blame. Disney can't afford to do anything great. After 9/11, things all went down hill for the Mouse. Bull. Disney can throw money away on DCA, go.com, ABC, ABC Family, Celebration property in Fla, Disney Interactive, crappy sequels to classics straight to DVD, BUT they can't throw a single dime into the park that gained the company everything it has now. To say it's not in the budget is horribly wrong to me.

Ever since Disney's California Adventure was sketched on a bar napkin by Michael Eisner to the day it opened, it was a horrible, horrible idea for a park. The concept, the theming, the rides, the target audience, the lack of kids rides all of it was flawed. They didn't want to spend the money on a Westcot. So we ended up getting Six Flags Knotts Berry Busch Gardens crap park. Now all the money that was supposed to go into the original park is being thrown at DCA to fix it. If they had invested time, money and creative energy into the park to begin with, they wouldn't have to fix it now. The E ticket ride would have gone to DL and not this cruddy park. (Which, by the way, made more money when it was a parking lot.)

It's Disneyland's 50th anniversary. The park that started all the major theme parks now. And what do we, the fans, the guests get? Nothing, nada, zilch, zip. And I'm supposed to be excited about it?

Not me.

:|

sediment
05-05-2004, 04:24 PM
Most of those things on the list could not be disclosed today as a surprise announcement. We would have known about those months ago. Unfortunately, months ago management was a lot different from today's. And the 50th anniversary's date cannot be changed.

And we know about Tiki Room already. As it is a niche attraction, there's no need to bring it more attention than it deserves.

Face it folks, Disneyland resort doesn't bring in the huge bucks that WDW Resort does. There's a big (financial) loser across the street not pulling its weight, and more attractions do not translate into more net income here (while it does at WDW). More marginal-paying guests are needed, not more $0-marginal-paying guests buying lunch and a churro. More hotel guests are needed, not free-parkers.

I expect something more than the previous 5-year-incremental anniversaries. Yes, it's much better than previous management's ideas, but deadlines forced this less-than-exciting announcement.

Eisner and Rasulo and everyone else with a voice (besides us) should have acted a lot more quickly in getting rid of Pressler and Harriss, so a better 50th could have been planned. Like two years ago, in my estimation. Three years would have been enough to plan better.

merlinjones
05-05-2004, 04:37 PM
>>This stinks so bad. I would have been happy if they would have given us these things:

1. Tehitian Terrace
2. Big Thunder BBQ
3. Redo of Tomorrowland
4. Submarine Voyage
5. Peoplemover
6. Movie Change for Star Tours <<

>>If you're only going to be happy if all of those things happen, you're going to be unhappy for a very long time.<<

Sounds like a done deal! I'll join you!

Pirate Girl
05-05-2004, 10:03 PM
Well, if nothing else I'm excited about the Cruise coming over to this coast!!!! I am seriously going to try and scrape together the money to go!

cemeinke
05-05-2004, 10:12 PM
Well, if nothing else I'm excited about the Cruise coming over to this coast!!!! I am seriously going to try and scrape together the money to go!
Hey, you're Pirate Girl - can't you just Commondeer the Magic and take it on a personal cruise?

DisneyFan25863
05-05-2004, 10:15 PM
When I eagerly told my dad the Magic was coming over to our side of the nation, he just looked at me, laughed, and asked why he would take a cruise on a Disney ship when for the same price we could go to Hawaii.

Erg.

Pirate Girl
05-05-2004, 10:17 PM
Hey, you're Pirate Girl - can't you just Commondeer the Magic and take it on a personal cruise?

Hey! I like that idea! And of course...there would be room for all my Mouse Pad buddies. ;)

sambo
05-05-2004, 10:20 PM
The economy is to blame.

:|

Now you sound like Michael Eisner! The Japanese economy is far worse than ours and yet they built Tokyo Disney Sea, and it still continues to make money hand over fist.

The economy is not to blame, what's to blame is lack of courage, vision, and will.

screamin4ever
05-05-2004, 10:57 PM
I just heard the music "Wa...wa...waaaaaaaa!" in my head after reading the plans. Are we sure Cynthia is gone? What was all the secrecy for? Well we did get a surprise in the form of a roller coaster that has killed one and had another accident. It is rather surprizing and unpredictable. Maybe it will close suddenly, have track completely replaced, and open in two years as a ride for the new 1850's!

So disappointing. I guess exceeding expectations is no longer important since the DCA mentality hit full stride. Yes they are painting. Wooohooo. Should have been doing that all along. They should have announced at least two big future projects. Not ones already under construction. AND by projects I mean rides. NOT MORE SHOWS!!!!!!! DCA's new "POTC" style ride and a sub replacement being announced would at least give us something to look forward to while watching the new shows and riding the retread and the clone in "done before" land.

Where are the parking tickets with hologram mickey faces with a 50 in his forehead? Oh geez. I bet they're coming!

Walt's dream lays in rainbow splinters on corporate America's floor. Eisner holds the hammer. He's more an undertaker than a caretaker of the dream!

Ya I'm done.

BJW
05-05-2004, 11:24 PM
Disneyland has sank to the ultimate low with the 50th announcement today. How they can even mention a cheap dark ride taking the place of one of Walt's original attractions from opening day (Circlevision) is a disgrace! Space Mtn needed repair from accidents as Gemini Cricket noted, this is not for the 50th. It was time to replace the parades anyway. Maybe we'll have to wait another 10 years for a real ride. Al was right, DCA's failure has created a sucking noise heard across the esplanade. Disneyland shouldn't have to suffer for DCA's failure! :mad:

merlinjones
05-05-2004, 11:26 PM
All of the internal misperceptions of what can and can't be done with reinvestment at the park can be laid at the hands of Eisner's seriously flawed "strategic planning" group, which is where Rasulo got his start at the company (among others like CFO Tom Staggs and Feature Animation President David Stainton). The more they have followed these edicts, the more they have failed...