PDA

View Full Version : Tomorrowland additions verified

Pages : [1] 2 3

jrad32
05-05-2004, 02:13 PM
Well now that Buzz and Space Mountain were officially greenlighted at today's press conference (I know we've all known about them for months, but today's announcement got me thinking) what else do they need to do in tommorowland to get things back up to speed in that sorry corner of the park?

There is so many possibilities with the space and buildings they already have. To me the two easy fixes would be bringing back the peoplemover and the subs with whatever overlay they want to do. Those two additions with the Autotopia, Buzz, Star Tours and Space would be a good start.

I don't count the Astro Jets in TL because of their current positioning, but I could live with them if they had the other six rides (space, buzz, peoplemover, subs, autotopia, Star Tours) as a base. Then I think they should lose Innovations and put a major capacity no height requirement E or D ticket where the Innovations building now sits. Finally how about a different show in the Honey I Shrunk the Kids Theater? It's getting a little tired.

CoasterMatt
05-05-2004, 02:46 PM
How would Peoplemover be an EASY fix? The track/supports were nicely wrecked by Rocket Rods.

dude
05-05-2004, 03:06 PM
What I want to know is this: WHY were the subs and the peoplemover neglected in the announcement? Buzz and a new SM still can't fix a dormant track that goes all over TL and they can't fix a big dormant pool of water which still has the waterfalls active and bubble machines working. It makes no sense to leave these things closed anymore. But as someone else said in another thread, the original park is second class.

jrad32
05-05-2004, 03:11 PM
I understand that the Rocket Rods messed up the peoplemover track. I guess by easy fix I meant in the sense of they were there before, and they are known quantities. It wouldn't be like starting from scratch on a new ride system. Also while the track may be jacked, I'm sure some of it must be salvagable.

merlinjones
05-05-2004, 03:27 PM
They need to:

Reopen Submarine Voyage (whatever the new theme is).

Either restore PeopleMover or take down the track.

Return the Astro Orbitor to the center of Tomorrowland where it belongs - either up on the pedestal, as before, or demolish that whole unit (especially the hideous oil rig Observatron) and move the current one to that location. - - Or better yet, run another set of rocket ships up there.

Return the mod design elements and white/silver color scheme, adding even more mod stuff.

Restore or redesign a beautiful stage top for the Tomorrowland Terrace, not the cluttered junkpile it is now.

Replace Honey I Shrunk the Kids with anything else... Stitch Encounter, Adventure thru Inner Space, Circlevision, Flying saucers, something new and cool or bring back the outdoor Space Stage, which looked better.

Fresh Star Tours films or bring back Adventure thru Inner Space.

Make the entrance fountains work again - - add a new dancing waters fountain where Astro-Orbitor is now at the entrance.

Do something with Crime Alley (by Matterhorn) and the top level of Tomorrowland Terrace. These are eyesores.

Bring back The Carousel of Progress from Walt Disney World as a tribute to Walt Disney and Disneyland's 50th, moving what's left of Innoventions to the second floor.

And these are just no-brainers...

oshida
05-05-2004, 03:55 PM
they should reopen the peoplemover but they would have to close innoventions because isn't some of the track go thru the buliding? if they do take out innovention's they could put a ride based on a classic disney movie like ton or something

dingdong2U
05-05-2004, 04:00 PM
One of the things I'd like to see come back is the 2-story Starcade. It was nice being able to go to the upper level and find even more games to play as well as a bunch of Ice Hockey machines and a plethora of pinball machines to play till your quarters ran out.

But, that's just my opinion...

oshida
05-05-2004, 04:04 PM
One of the things I'd like to see come back is the 2-story Starcade. It was nice being able to go to the upper level and find even more games to play as well as a bunch of Ice Hockey machines and a plethora of pinball machines to play till your quarters ran out.

But, that's just my opinion...
i agree but it was probably to much to handle with people cutting in to the space moutain lines (probably to many complanets) and all but i woud like to see a two story starcade again

sambo
05-05-2004, 10:09 PM
i agree but it was probably to much to handle with people cutting in to the space moutain lines (probably to many complanets) and all but i woud like to see a two story starcade again

Why would I go to Disneyland to play arcade games I can play just down the street? Put in an "Attraction", there are enough "Stores" already...

cemeinke
05-05-2004, 10:16 PM
I find it amusing that most of the attractions people want sounds like a restoration of Tomorrowland 1967 - I guess Walt took Futurist thinking with him when he passed.

sambo
05-05-2004, 10:28 PM
I find it amusing that most of the attractions people want sounds like a restoration of Tomorrowland 1967 - I guess Walt took Futurist thinking with him when he passed.
Big LOL! That's because his futurist thinking is still more futuristic than what is currently being passed off as "Visionary". Buzz Lightyear indeed... how profound! It may be fun - but it's not futuristic or visionary.

Mezo
05-06-2004, 02:56 AM
Big LOL! That's because his futurist thinking is still more futuristic than what is currently being passed off as "Visionary". Buzz Lightyear indeed... how profound! It may be fun - but it's not futuristic or visionary.
LOL! I agree with you there. Nothing in that land is futurist, a dark ride based on a cartoon. How can that be considered futuristic? And the talk about turning the subs into a Finding Nemo theme follows that same line of thinking. It shouldn’t be called Tomorrow land, instead call it Pixar land. :p

Mezo

Photographer
05-06-2004, 05:51 AM
It'd be nice if more effort was put into restoring Tomorrowland. By that I mean adding attractions that are new and futuristic...things that show what the world may be like in 30 years or so. But since that's not the case maybe it should be renamed: No Hope for Tomorrow Land :(

dude
05-06-2004, 09:51 AM
No Hope for Tomorrow Land :(

Exactly. If the Nemo submarines do eventually work their way in, I agree with the earlier comment of calling it Pixar land. Even though the movies were successful, they don't belong as attractions in Tomorrowland. The original park always gets the short end of the stick...it's just not fair.

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
05-06-2004, 11:22 PM
Were the subs really considered a part of Tomorrowland? I always thought they were more in Fantasyland. Riding in a sub is surely not something that would be happening in the future.
I think that they need something for kids in Tomorrowland. There is nothing there for little ones.

Tigertail777
05-07-2004, 12:08 AM
well this just goes to show how fast the future can be dated... in the 50's through the late 60's the subs were still considered futuristic because people who didnt work for the navy or anyplace like that had no hope of ever riding a submarine. The idea is still futuristic if they emphasize the idea of actually LIVING on the ocean floor. They still havnt really figured out how to live on the ocean floor on a full time basis, especially with no help from the surface.

To cap, yes it was indeed a tomorrowland ride, it opened the same day that monorail opened (transportation of the future), and Matterhorn.

However in Walt DisneyWorld, they had a 20,000 leagues themed version of the ride that was put into fantasyland. Same ride, just different theming on the ride vehicles, and different narration.

CoasterMatt
05-07-2004, 04:35 AM
I think that they need something for kids in Tomorrowland. There is nothing there for little ones.

There's nothing in Tomorrowland for ANYBODY anymore. I don't want "something for the kids" as defined by recent additions at DL/DCA, the park is supposed to be a place enjoyed TOGETHER by whole families.

mbrady
05-07-2004, 07:57 AM
Turn the sub lagoon into an omnimover ride where you move through a clear tube underwater and through the caverns. The theme could be almost anything, underwater cities of the future or something like that.

NirvanaMan
05-07-2004, 11:04 AM
I was totally going to say the same exact thing. This is supposed to be tomorrowland, not yesterland...

innerSpaceman
05-07-2004, 11:51 AM
Well, instead of decrying going back to Tomorrowland '67 as not visionary, perhaps we should instead admit that Walt Disney and his 60's imagineers were so visionary that their vision for Tomorrowland still holds up 40 years later.

I'm not necessarily calling for the exact same attractions, but rather I'm pointing out that the themes of those attractions are still quite futuristic and would make excellent starting points for new attractions utilizing new technology.

As earlier pointed out in this thread, submarines may not be too futuristic - -but undersea cities and ocean exploration & science could easily be used to make an interesting attraction out of the always exciting guest sensation of going underwater that the creaky old Submarine Voyage stalwartly provided.

Adventure thru Inner Space? Surely not the same dark ride, but a shrinking expedition that explored, perhaps, the inner workings of the human body (not via film as in Epcot's retarded 'Body Wars,' but thru immersive physical sets and environments) before continuing on shrinking to the old attraction's theme of chemistry: molecules, atoms, electrons, etc. Or would such a fantastic voyage be too mundane for us sophisticated body shrinkers of 2004?

Rocket to the Moon/Mission to Mars played out? I don't think so. Although I'm sure we all thought in the 60's that we'd have visited the moon ourselves by 2004, guess what? It hasn't happened. Space exploration is still futuristic. A tour of the solar system that shot past Mars to navigate the dangers of the asteroid field before going on to explore the moons of Jupiter and the rings of Saturn could be a Z-ticket attraction.

Peoplemover and monorail too backwards looking? I don't think so. Now, more than ever, the world needs some examples of non-fuel-burning transportation systems. Maybe these old stand-bys, and the oldy moldy Autopia could be re-themed or expanded to demonstrate MagLev trains or fuel cell vehicles. More importantly, the over-riding theme of transportation MUST be made paramount again to restore the kinetic energy to Tomorrowland.

Carousel of Progress? Ok, that one's a dinosaur ... but it's "sequel," Horizons, a fabulous attraction about future living in mega-metropolises, desert agricultural communities, undersea cities, and orbital space stations is a perfect update for the theme of how the future can be fun for US. Epcot's carelessly tossed-away trash can be revived to become one of the best E-Tickets Disneyland has ever seen.

I happen to think Walt Disney was on the right track with Tomorrowland '67, with concepts that still work and are still futuristic now that the future seen from the 60's has actually arrived. Move all that Star Wars and Toy Story stuff over to the Hollywood section across the Esplanade, and return the tomorrow to Tomorrowland ... the tomorrow that can still be found in the past brilliance and genius of Walt Disney.

DBJ
05-07-2004, 12:56 PM
There seems to be an all or nothing approach to new rides being installed at DL. For example, one the most well liked rides in the park is a very simple ride with a clever overlay, the Mad Hatter's Tea Party. There are now literally dozens of flat rides, some simple for little kids, some mid range for families, some on the extreme side for parents with older kids, that Disneyland could install for far less than say the 30 million plus Winnie The Pooh. So instead of adding these simple rides, they add nothing. That to me, is a big problem that they don't see the value of adding attractions on the scale of Mad Hatter's Tea Party.

For example, here's a video of a simple flat ride that with a few cosmetic changes (or more complex, inside a building), could fit into a "ufo"/space theme just as well as Buzz Lightyear.

http://www.zamperla.it/download/video/pdf/disco.mpg

Disney Vault
05-07-2004, 12:59 PM
No thanks. that piece of crap doesnt belong anywhere near disney.

05-07-2004, 01:14 PM
I happen to think Walt Disney was on the right track with Tomorrowland '67, with concepts that still work <snip!> return the tomorrow to Tomorrowland ... the tomorrow that can still be found in the past brilliance and genius of Walt Disney.

Welcome back, iSm. Brilliant post.

merlinjones
05-07-2004, 01:43 PM
Hey, InnerSpaceman - -

How would you like to write a similarly themed entire article for SaveDisney.com? How the brilliant futurism of Walt Disney's Tomorrowland still holds up today VS the narrow marketing vision expressed by current Imagineers and executives... How can these visions be blended for the future? What is missing. You are the perfect guy to write something like this for an expanded audience.

And I'd love to do a complimentary "Tomorrowland's decay symbolises the future of the Disney Company" editorial. :)

Merlin (merlinjones@earthlink.net)

CoasterMatt
05-07-2004, 10:21 PM
...here's a video of a simple flat ride that with a few cosmetic changes (or more complex, inside a building), could fit into a "ufo"/space theme just as well as Buzz Lightyear.

http://www.zamperla.it/download/video/pdf/disco.mpg

That's video of a Zamperla Disk-O, and despite a certain other poster's distaste for it, Disney reps have spoken to Z about acquiring a model or two.

(BTW, if you want to RIDE a Disk-O, there's one at Golf N Stuff - Norwalk)