PDA

View Full Version : Any word on the 50th announcement?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

tracilicious
05-05-2004, 09:05 AM
does anyone know what was announced?

only1mouse
05-05-2004, 09:12 AM
I'm waiting too - and I'm on hold with the Disney Cruise Line........ Any news would be great!

millionairegirl
05-05-2004, 09:16 AM
I should have just gone to the park for all the work I'm getting done today, sheesh!

DigitalLizard
05-05-2004, 09:23 AM
That is what I just came to post!

I know the cruise information was out yesterday...
although details are being confirmed this morning at DLR...
there was an article 5/4 the Los Angeles Daily News about
it - written by Gregory Wilcox... do a web search for it,
you should find it.

jiminycesq
05-05-2004, 09:29 AM
Heres a news release ...

The Walt Disney Co. will dock one of its two cruise ships in California waters for 12 weeks next year as part of the celebration to mark the 50th anniversary of its Disneyland theme park, the company said Sunday.

The decision to offer 12 seven-night cruises beginning next May is also part of a larger strategy to test the waters for a possible expansion of the cruise line, which has been extremely successful since it began operating out of Florida in 1998.

The formal announcement will be made Wednesday when Disney unveils its plans for marking Disneyland's 50th anniversary at each of its 10 worldwide theme parks.

Company co-founder Walt Disney opened the park, built on what was once Anaheim orange groves, on July 17, 1955. The company opened its second park, Walt Disney World in Orlando, in 1971 and now operates parks in Paris and Tokyo. It is building an 11th park in Hong Kong, slated to open in 2006.

"It is a great opportunity to bring the magic of the Disney Cruise line to a whole new audience on the West Coast," Jay Rasulo, chairman of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts, told The Associated Press Sunday.

The "Disney Magic" will travel from its home port through the Panama Canal next year and offer cruises leaving from the Port of Los Angeles in San Pedro and docking in three Mexican ports, including Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan and Cabo San Lucas.

While there are no plans yet to permanently expand the cruise line, Disney executives said Sunday they are considering it.

"The Disney Cruise Line is a business that holds huge expansion opportunities for us," Rasulo said. "I think someday you will see more cruise ships, not only in the Caribbean, but also on the West Coast and probably elsewhere in the world."

The Disney Cruise Line opened with "Disney Magic" in 1998. It added a second ship, the "Disney Wonder," later the same year and offers cruises to the Caribbean, the Bahamas and its own island, Castaway Cay.

Each ship is 964 feet long, has 875 staterooms and can accommodate about 2,600 passengers.

The announcement comes as Disney unveils a major new addition to its California Adventure theme park, which opened three years ago.

The park opened in the midst of an economic recession and just months before the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, which hurt the worldwide tourism market, including Disney's theme parks.

The park was also criticized for not offering many rides or activities for younger children.

Disney has steadily expanded the park's offerings, including adding new shows, parades and attractions. Executives hope the opening of the "Twilight Zone Tower of Terror," this week will finally bring in the crowds Disney originally expected.

"We got direction from early guests who visited 'Disney's California Adventure,"' Rasulo said.

Riders strapped into seats on an elevator free fall 13 stories down the shaft of an abandoned hotel. The ride is already one of the most popular at Disney-MGM Studios park in Florida.

California Adventure attracted around 5 million visitors its first year according to trade publication Amusement Business -- far fewer than the 7 million Disney had hoped for.

Attendance fell in the second year, as it did with most tourist attractions around the world, but increased about 13 percent in 2003.

Disney's domestic theme parks are on a rebound as the economy recovers. Analysts estimate attendance increased 15 percent at Walt Disney World and 12 percent at the Disneyland resort in the fiscal quarter ended March 31, compared to the same time last year.

Analysts expect the "Tower of Terror" to add to the trend.

"Our studies suggest a major reinvestment typically produces, all things remaining equal, a 5 percent to 10 percent increase in attendance the first year," said John Robinett, senior vice president of Economics Research Associates, a leisure and tourism consulting firm.

Lani
05-05-2004, 09:33 AM
The big 50th Anniversary press event is happening right now as we speak. We've got staff there now, so you need to hold onto your hats for just a bit longer... :)

DigitalLizard
05-05-2004, 09:34 AM
Lani!
Will there be something on the news page?

tracilicious
05-05-2004, 09:57 AM
any word yet?

Tinker Bell
05-05-2004, 10:02 AM
Any one else bitting their nails, pulling hair and hitting refresh over and over.:)

DJ_MENTOS
05-05-2004, 10:03 AM
That would be me!

DL addict
05-05-2004, 10:06 AM
Any one else bitting their nails, pulling hair and hitting refresh over and over.:)
i'm doing that too. I can't wait to find out what went on.

Nephythys
05-05-2004, 10:11 AM
Yeah, That would be me too.

I am planning a major trip with my family for thr 50th and I am SO excited to find out what is going on!! :eek:

Cadaverous Pallor
05-05-2004, 10:16 AM
Ghoulish is at the park right now, and has been since 8:30am. I'm going to join him after 12. In order to stop the nail biting and hair pulling going on here, I'm going to call him at 11:30ish and see what's up (I don't know how long all that goes on, but hopefully he'll be able to talk by then).

I'll post what he knows here...just a little community service for y'all. :fez:

Photographer
05-05-2004, 10:17 AM
patiently waiting...twiddling thumbs...tapping keyboard...patiently waiting...

mamabot
05-05-2004, 10:21 AM
Has anyone noticed that there are twice as many people on the boards than usual?

halestorm
05-05-2004, 10:33 AM
must....know....now.....

bassett1976
05-05-2004, 10:34 AM
I'm glad that I'm a teacher and can check this out during my down time. I'm realizing how un-patient I really am right now...

Tinker Bell
05-05-2004, 10:36 AM
Tap Tap refresh Tap Tap refresh Ahhhhhhhh

SeedB
05-05-2004, 10:45 AM
I now have no nails left - moving to fingers...

Nephythys
05-05-2004, 10:46 AM
OMG 161 viewing!!

No wonder things are moving slow for me!

(twiddling impatiently)

TP2000
05-05-2004, 10:50 AM
In case anyone is still curious about what they "announced", it was pretty much what has been rumored online at various websites for months now;

New Parade called "Parade of Dreams"
New fireworks called "Remember..... Dreams Come True"
New Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters ride
Rebuilt Space Mountain with new special effects
New lighting effects on Sleeping Beauty's Castle
Cruise Line in SoCal for 12 Weeks during Summer '05
Something called "Block Party Bash" at DCA

And that was about the extent of what was announced for Disneyland. The rest of the ceremony focused on the new rides and attractions being built in Florida, Paris and Tokyo as part of "Disney's Golden Celebration".

I'm sure there will be video and more details about the big ceremony later. But that was what was announced and talked about. Enjoy.

Germboy
05-05-2004, 10:50 AM
I just got back from the park. It was an ok ceremony. Castle fireworks with confetti at the end. Bob Iger, Jay Rasulo, Michael Eisner, Julie Andrews, Art Linkletter were all there, with the Disneyland Ambassador (can't remember her name). I didn't see Matt Ouimet, but I got there at 10 minutes after and it had already started. Sun was hot and one of the speakers around the hub was so overdriven, it was hard to hear when they started singing. Towards the left side of the hub, the speakers were out when I was standing there.

They announced Space Mt. will reopen with updated special effects and "a few more surprises" (something to that effect). Announced Buzz Lightyear. Announced that the castle would become covered in jewels and gold crowns for each one of its spires. Announced the new fireworks show and said that it would honor old and new rides in the original park. Also announced a new parade. Announced the opening of a Disneyland retrospective in the Lincoln Theatre. Announced that the Disney Cruise Lines would come to Los Angeles and gave details.

On the giant monitors, they showed video of Tinkerbell taking guests to all of the other Disney theme parks and the new attractions those parks would be getting in 2005. "Wishes" fireworks from Florida will open in Paris. Also showed the construction site for Hong Kong Disneyland. They had each of the ambassadors from the other parks make a statement.

There's probably more, but I wanted to get this on the boards to satisfy at least some of the curiousity. ;)

I did get a little annoyed at all the "Remember" themes and the "Believe In Yourself" themes, but then that seems to be Disney's thing the last few years.

LSPoorEeyorick
05-05-2004, 10:51 AM
*twiddles thumbs*

*refreshes*

Jackpot!

It sounds like there might be some very cool things... honoring rides during the fireworks?

Little worried about the castle jewelling. Having seen the cake-castle live.

Did they say anything else about the Block Party? Is it just character-themed?

Cadaverous Pallor
05-05-2004, 10:52 AM
Sorry! I got busy.

Satellite uplink from all the other parks' ambassadors

Florida gets
car stunt show from Paris
Cinderella show from Tokyo
Soarin'
Mount Everest coaster
Lucky the Dino at Animal Kingdom

Basically nothing at Paris and Tokyo

We get:
Pixar interactive parade at DCA
Character float parade at DL - cool concept art
Space Mountain new and improved
Buzz Lightyear Astro Blaster - Tokyo version
Painting the castle gold and adding crowns on the turrets
new Fireworks show
Retrospective at Opera House with neverbeforeseen Walt movie

Julie Andrews was there - announced as honorary ambassador for Disneyland during the 50th.

Notably absent - Castmember Matt

Eisner, Rasulo, Linkletter, Julie Andrews spoke.

main announcements made on Jumbotron with pre recorded voice over.

That's all I know, I'm off!

Nephythys
05-05-2004, 10:53 AM
I am unhappy on two counts-
No sub announcement
A GOLD Castle? UGH! :(