PDA

View Full Version : ap holders

Pages : [1] 2

jake99
10-25-2001, 02:56 PM
ap hordlers does it ever get old going to disneyland so much

Ralph Wiggum
10-25-2001, 03:05 PM
Staying all day becomes harder and harder. I don't wait in long lines unless I am with people who dont have passes. Besides that I don't really get sick of it and I go at least 2 times a month.

Ghoulish Delight
10-25-2001, 03:26 PM
I'll echo Ralph on the staying all day thing. No more than a few hours has become enough for me. I end up going at least 3 times a month. And the really nice thing about it is that even if you don't plan on addictively going, like many of us MPers do, it's nice to be able to go and know that you can come back. No need to rush or worry about lines being too long or rides being closed. It really allows you to enjoy it fully (or find other things to complain about ;) ).

You know, I don't know if this has ever been mentioned, but it seems to me that if you go just 3 or 4 times a year, the pass pays for itself :D. And 3 or 4 certainly won't burn anyone out.

bluepearl
10-25-2001, 03:48 PM
Absolutely NOT! I just got my AP at the beginning of the summer and it never gets old. But with school starting, I don't stay too long - I usually go during my breaks in between classes, which lets me wander around the park for at the most, four hours. I agree with the two previous posts that staying all day isn't as much a priority as it used to be, though I still do that with my friends on weekends. My family always asks if I ever get tired of Disneyland (because I go almost every week) and my answer is always NO!

JRob2k1
10-25-2001, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by Ghoulish Delight
You know, I don't know if this has ever been mentioned, but it seems to me that if you go just 3 or 4 times a year, the pass pays for itself :D. And 3 or 4 certainly won't burn anyone out.

Im an AP and live in Portland (OSU right now..) I get down to DL about 3 or 4 times a year!! And your absolutely right, those 4 trips saves us money through the AP system instead of purchasing 3-Day flex passports each time we go down there!!

So it does pay for itself!

-JRob

MammaSilva
10-25-2001, 04:00 PM
I recently bought the 2 park premium passes for myself and my daughter I did the math...if we go to the park a total of six days in a year I got my money out of them not counting the 10 percent discounts at the shops and food places...and since I ususally shop a LOT while I'm there the discounts really add up....I've already been back once for 3 days with the AP's we got in August and have at least 3 more trips scheduled before they expire next August

MickeyD
10-25-2001, 04:03 PM
I have to echo everyone else that staying all day is not something I like to do anymore. Last week we took my boyfriend's little sister for her birthday and stayed all day, and by 9:00 I was REALLY dragging.

Ok, and I'll post this at the risk of being shunned for such blasphemy, I have been known to experience Disneyland burnout. (Hides under desk to finish typing) It rarely happens, but sometimes I just get like, "been there, done that". I usually cure it by staying away for a couple weeks, or, a sure-fire cure is to go to another park. After that I want to rush back to DLR.

tabacco
10-25-2001, 04:08 PM
I know quite a few castmembers (myself included) who still like to go there, even for a full day, and they're there day in and day out working.

blusilva
10-25-2001, 04:26 PM
Nope, it never gets old.

I go with different groups of people for different reasons every time.

For example:

Fri. Oct 5 - went by myself with the sole intention of seeing HMH. Had a bit of dinner, did all the things my friends hate doing. Tried the Astro Orbiter for the very first time. Decided to never go on it again.

Fri. Oct 12 - met a group of four friends. Did HMH, spent an hour trying to find a place to eat dinner, ate at Cafe Orleans , watched the fireworks, did some Fantasyland rides.

Sun. Oct 14 - went with a totally different group of four. Breakfast at Carnation, train ride, HMH, some heavy duty shopping at the Disney Gallery.

Sun. Oct 21 - met up with a group consisting of a combinations of groups one and two, plus a new member. Breakfast at Carnation, HMH, Star Tours, shopping in Tomorrowland, Monorail ride.

There are an infinite number of combinations of things we could do every day if we had the time!

zapppop
10-25-2001, 04:40 PM
I go weekly and always have fun.

Dreamstaker
10-25-2001, 05:18 PM
I do not get burn out, but I have suffered from withdrawls.

I have been known to run over to ride one ride, and then run back home. :D

Ralph Wiggum
10-25-2001, 05:25 PM
I too definately have withdrawls. I consider ditching school alot to go for one or two rides. In fact, I was suppose to go on tuesday but then i hurt my finger and had to go to the doctors (don't ask). Now i am having major withdrawls :(

MickeyD
10-25-2001, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by Ralph Wiggum
In fact, I was suppose to go on tuesday but then i hurt my finger and had to go to the doctors (don't ask).

Madame Leotta told me it had something to do with a car door. :D

Ralph Wiggum
10-25-2001, 06:34 PM
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhh!! Geez....I tell one thread and it follows me for life. ;)

JRob2k1
10-25-2001, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by Ralph Wiggum
but then i hurt my finger and had to go to the doctors (don't ask)

Hahaha....hhahah....ahahahha....wipe tears...ahahahhhhaa

Burn!!:p
:D

-JRob

bluepearl
10-25-2001, 09:16 PM
Withdrawals? I know what that's about. :lol: Before I got the AP, my family and I used to go once a year and that was enough for me. But afterwards, I started having too much fun (my friends and I go crazy at the park) and if we don't go at least every week (or every other week) I started to get fidgety. Luckily, on Mondays and Fridays I have a 6-hour break in between classes so I hop on down to DLR for a few hours, which I plan on doing tomorrow!

Nigel2
10-25-2001, 09:57 PM
It doesn't get old for me, its really nice to go on a thursday morning for a little bit when it has few crowds and even indy is walk on. Also on a side note, an annual pass, normal ticket,... is actually classified as a "Sunk Cost" since no matter how many times you go the pass generates no money, but if you go a whole bunch of times it spreads out the cost of the pass, but it can't technically pay for itself. Sorry to nit pick

Ghoulish Delight
10-26-2001, 11:48 AM
no matter how many times you go the pass generates no money

Okay, technically true. And I won't jump on you for nit picking because I am the king of nit pickers. Okay, ummmm....how about this? The value that you receive, as compared to buying individual day passes, exceeds what you pay, especially if you consider the intangible value of being able to relax and have a more pleasurable experience.:)

Cadaverous Pallor
10-26-2001, 03:01 PM
Ditto on everyone's AP comments. Not having to run from ride to ride is nice.

Now I'm trying to think of a downside to being an AP, and and I realize that it can lead to being picky. "Nah, that line's too long, we can always go on it another day." "Hey, let's walk to the total opposite end of the park so we can ride that one specific ride!" "Let's walk to the other side now so we can eat at that specific eatery!" After a while of this you realize you've been in the park for hours and most of what you've done is walking around being indecisive.

Or maybe that's just GD and me. :D

Sometimes I miss the frantic feeling of visiting a park only once a year. But I do love the "home" feel that I get from walking around the park, simply because of my familiarity with all of it.

coronamouseman
10-26-2001, 03:16 PM
My wife and I have SoCal 2-park APs and so do our two younger kids - $600 is not that much when you consider you will minimally go 4-5 times in a year - how many 4-person family events can you do for $150 which are the same quality as the Disney Resort?

Most certainly you don't pull those marathon days anymore, but you do feel that you have time to "stop and smell the roses" which includes reading the windows or listening to the various audio tracks on Main Street, taking time to more closely examine the detail of the architecture of the various themed lands and generally just taking your time when many around you are running frantically from ride to ride.

And now, with Downtown Disney, there is the added experience of actually having edible food and drink at Disneyland.

innerSpaceman
10-26-2001, 04:21 PM
Ok, my too scents, from the perspective of both sides. I was an APer from the inception of the annual passes until two years ago. There are advantages to both.

With an AP, it was possible to enjoy the park in little chunks, and to never hesitate to go as there was no cost involved. I would often go just to watch the fireworks. Or for dinner and a ride or two. Or just for a cruise on the Mark Twain. Having a pass and being able to go pretty often definitely allows you to experience the Park in a more relaxed, don't-have-to-do-it-all-right-now manner.

Well, after literally hundred and hundreds and hundreds of visits over a span of 25 years, I found myself (gasp) getting a little bored with the place. This bothered me, as I love Disneyland more than any place on earth. So I dropped my pass and started to go only 2 or 3 times a year! Suddenly, Disneyland was a special event again. I would spend entire days in the park and each time I went was a wonderful occasion. The absence of an AP and the financial disincentive to pay for each day at the park really cut down on my visits and, in turn, helped greatly to fight the burnout I was experiencing.

As it turns out, burnout has decreased to the point where I am averaging about 6 visits per year and it has become financially advantageous to buy a pass again. I will do that next time I visit, but I hope I can resist the urge to misuse my AP and will continue to limit my visits so that each time remains special and unique.

The foregoing is in no way meant to imply that there is anything wrong with going to the Park every two seconds. I spent many fun years doing just that. Most I ever went in one year was 1985's 30th year, and because I have the GiftGiverExtraordinaire tickets to document it, I have been able to determine that I went to Disneyland 78 times that one year. Never got bored with it once.

Morrigoon
10-26-2001, 07:12 PM
I've been known to go to the park and never get past Main Street. Okay, the hub. I still have my "special occasions" when friends who don't go as frequently come and I accompany them. When I'm at the park alone, or with my "DL friends", I take it easy, have a slow meal, maybe hit 3 rides and a show. One thing I never tire of (except the last time, when I was recovering from a sprained ankle) is the live swing band at Carnation on Saturday nights. Can't beat dancing to a live band. And my favorite band, Wartime Radio Review, darn them, has a nasty habit of playing all my favorite songs in a row and tiring me out ;). (They're there like the first weekend of the month or something)

How many "day guests" even know that there's a live swing band on Saturdays? Just the ones who find out when they get there.

MammaSilva
10-26-2001, 07:24 PM
I have to say that having my AP does seem to take the stress off getting my moneys worth each trip.... the nit picker that says the AP doesn't pay for itself it technically correct but for me at least it does because I don't have that "gotta do this gotta do that" urgency every visit... even tho I drive 8 hours to get there.... the last visit I totally enjoyed just sitting and listening to the swing band and to the beatles band over in tommorowland..sorry I can't think of that bands name off the top of my head but they are very very good... and DCA has a group called Jongo (SP?) that is totally awesome! they perform across from Soaring (or at least did as of Late September ... I love the "oldies" do wop music and they did them very very well! I look foward to going back sometime during the holiday season to see the decorations and check out the HM makeover... then we plan to go in the spring for my birthday/daughers birthday, then again in June with a group of special needs children/adults....then in July for Nephews 17th birthday.... NOT having to buy admissions each time lets me focus on other aspects of the trip :)

Nigel2
10-26-2001, 10:45 PM
If you wanted to have your pass generate money you could go on millionare play it and win the pass value in the prizes then try to sell them for their face value then it wouldn't be a sunk cost. But I always find it funny when people go to the parks on a single to multi day pass and say that they are trying to get their money's worth when they know that there is no redemption of value. I might let a discount slide since it is the money that is saved by the pass since the discounts can add up to the equivance of the pass.

MammaSilva
10-27-2001, 08:38 AM
well I did the math and at 299 for the premium 2 park AP you would have to spend a total of 3,000 with the 10 percent discount to equal 300 over the course of the year of the pass... so I'm thinking that isn't going to happen in most cases but the luxuory of just "knowing" you don't have to cough 43 bucks for a day pass to go for a short trip is totally worth the expense...