PDA

View Full Version : Disney "Resort" restart tomorrow! [50th Announcement on 5/5/04]

BrerFox
05-04-2004, 02:26 PM
I really can't wait to get info from tomorrow's press release!! There will be a lot of promises made tomarrow and I hope they are all valed!

Who thinks this relauch of DCA will clean up ins Rep?

I Think I tjust might!! :D :D

SoCalDisneyLover
05-04-2004, 03:05 PM
What relaunch? They're opening up a new ride. That's not going to make DCA suddenly become Disneyland. It's just going to add another ride to the 3 rides(Soarin', Grizzly, Screamin')...that the park basically has. If this is the silver bullet they're looking for, they better open their eyes. It will improve the parks' numbers, but is not going to automatically make it as healthy as it needs to be, in order to charge the same amount as the park across the esplanade.

sediment
05-04-2004, 04:30 PM
That "resort" on the logo keeps getting smaller and smaller.

I agree with SCDL. ToT won't pull more paying customers. And by "paying" I mean, "Guests who wouldn't otherwise be spending money at DL or DCA."
Looking to pull in new paying customers.
It should be a good summer for the "Resort," but as more people visit DCA, more people will get a glimpse of how unmagical it is. And tell their friends. Etc.

Of course I could be wrong, and I could be happy with that remote possibility.

Kevy Baby
05-04-2004, 05:14 PM
I agree with SCDL. ToT won't pull more paying customers. And by "paying" I mean, "Guests who wouldn't otherwise be spending money at DL or DCA."
Looking to pull in new paying customers.
It should be a good summer for the "Resort," but as more people visit DCA, more people will get a glimpse of how unmagical it is. And tell their friends.I disagree.

I think that this will start the recovery process for DCA. With your average visitor, I don't think they will find the park as horrible as most of us here on the Pad do. The non-pad, non-AP guest who might have had a dim view of DCA before may see this as a reason to start liking the park. They will probably enjoy the experience of ToT tremendously and THAT will stick in their minds more than the rest of the park.

I guess that I am being more optimistic than some/most (I am not sure) that Cast Member Matt is trying to do right (yes, I know this was not his baby - I just mean in general). ToT is not DCA's panacea, but I think actions are being taken to remedy the situation. It is going to take time, but I feel the direction is there.

sediment
05-04-2004, 05:29 PM
I see no direction yet. I'm sure my bud, Cast Member Matt, is planning long-term stuff. But I don't think anyone should believe that this one ride will fix anything by itself.
I even cringed (cringed!) when I saw the Sunday LA Times Business section headline: "Disney Pins Theme Park Hopes on new Ride."
First, I don't think Disney is. Maybe that's the face it's putting out there, in order to get into the papers. If it were, and if ToT is a failure, will Disney suddenly shut down or sell the parks? Go bankrupt?

Tell you something: the theming of ToT should be worth a return visit. Unlike DCA in general.

Can someone transcribe the 50th's events on their wireless?

BJW
05-04-2004, 06:50 PM
What I'm hoping for tomorrow:
1.Sack the Pooh ride :~D , announce opening of one large Country Bears theatre
2.Reopen SSL (To handle overflow crowd at HPB)
3.Announce next E-ticket for DCA
4.Reopen Submarines with the rumored Nemo overlay
5.Reopen Motor Boat Cruise (good promo for cruise line???)
6.Announce opening for Buzz
7.Put something on that empty Rocket Rods track for a change!
8.New parade and fireworks

Realistically most of these things probably won't happen, but we can dream right? Anyone else have any ideas of what they would like to see tomorrow?

sediment
05-04-2004, 06:51 PM
I agree with Mr Koenig's final bullet points in his column from today. My comments about each bullet point:

1. Crowds will be healthy for a while. Mostly AP holders, who will be savvy enough to get a fastpass AND to get in line. Some park-hoppers. This is the major problem with DCA: the attendance numbers do not convert into revenue as easily as, say, WDW's parks.
2. No, I don't think enough people will pay full price for DCA. I might have to start a thread asking how much would we pay for a day in DL and/or DCA.
3. I think DLR is going to get about one extra day from most visitors. It's not the only destination in the region.
4. Guests will be mildly satisfied with the park. Much like a day at Universal Studios or Knott's. Meaning, on the next visit it might get skipped or put into rotation.

CarlieB
05-04-2004, 06:53 PM
Anyone else have any ideas of what they would like to see tomorrow?
The return of the Big Thunder BBQ! And, while I never got to experience it, the Tahitian Terrace sounded cool:)

Definitely some improvements in Tomorrowland - that's a must, imho.

disNeytEen
05-04-2004, 08:08 PM
How about the boot of Eisner- :fez:

You said we can dream :D

DisneyDustin22
05-04-2004, 08:18 PM
this is the way I see it going down. TOT will bring a lot of attendance to DCA. I'm not saying that youre going to see sold out like crowds everyday, but you should look at it this way. When CBJ was down to install Pooh, Critter Country was relatively quiet with the exception of the Splash crowds. Now what happened once Pooh opened? Critter Country became a crowded mess. On busy days right after Pooh opened I saw crowds dwindling the street between Pooh and Splash much like that you see in front of Indy or Pirates.

The fact is, TOT is a NEW ride. Its something a lot of people have been waiting for, a lot of people havent experienced yet, and bottom line, just something new and different. So with that, youre going to see a lot of people be heading towards DCA, just to ride it. Regardless if they stay in DCA the whole time or not, youre going to see a large overflow of people getting their "first time" ride. Theres lots and lots of them out there, they wont all be there on one day obviously, but throughout summer, you will see DCA at a higher capacity b/c of TOT. Eventually then it will dwindle back down, not like Pooh though because this ride does have that "fear factor" a lot of us are looking for, which will keep a nice constant flow to it. So in my opinion, I think we will see a gradual rise in DCA popularity, just based off TOT. This is exactly what people have been pointing out for a while now, DCA is starting to grow. We have to give it time. We wont see 5 new E TIckets over night. But we just got one more. Its better than nothing.

BJW
05-04-2004, 11:42 PM
How about the boot of Eisner- :fez:

You said we can dream :DI can just see Julie Andrews stepping up to the podium leading the crowd in front of the castle singing the "Na, na, na, na, hey, hey, hey, goodbye" song. :D

Boingonut
05-05-2004, 03:45 AM
I can just see Julie Andrews stepping up to the podium leading the crowd in front of the castle singing the "Na, na, na, na, hey, hey, hey, goodbye" song. :D

Yea, then they make the big announcement that they have found a cure for lung cancer and that they have unfrozen Walt, and Walt comes jumping unto the stage and yells to Eisner "WHAT THE HELL HAVE YOU DONE WITH MY COMPANY!!!. Then Walt will anounce that all of those big CEO bonuses that Eisner has pirated over the years will all be used to fix everything Eisner has distroyed, starting with the stuff in Disneyland! Then Walt will give him a broom, kick him off the stage, and tell Eisner that his new postion at Disney will be CEO of cleaning up after everyone else! Ha Ha Ha!!! :~D

dude
05-05-2004, 09:49 AM
Yea, then they make the big announcement that they have found a cure for lung cancer and that they have unfrozen Walt, and Walt comes jumping unto the stage and yells to Eisner "WHAT THE HELL HAVE YOU DONE WITH MY COMPANY!!!. Then Walt will anounce that all of those big CEO bonuses that Eisner has pirated over the years will all be used to fix everything Eisner has distroyed, starting with the stuff in Disneyland! Then Walt will give him a broom, kick him off the stage, and tell Eisner that his new postion at Disney will be CEO of cleaning up after everyone else! Ha Ha Ha!!! :~D

LOL!!! That is funny and as much as I would like to see that happen, this is what I think should happen:

1. Buzz attraction announced
2. Subs returning
3. PeopleMover returning
4. (hopefully)Innoventions closing
5. New parade and shows
6. The immediate removal of unnecesary(sp?) Exit signs at HM