PDA

View Full Version : How to pass the time....

Lekta
05-04-2004, 12:05 PM
We have almost planned and replanned every part of our upcoming vacation, however, we now have nothing to do to pass the time... Any suggestions?

We have started looking and doing research on various pins to collect, we find a new daily photo background for the computer (Disney themed of course), I check the boards what seems like every half hour. All this is just a filler for the event. Anyone have suggestions/ideas for what they do to pass the painstaking time it takes to arrive at the glorious date?

Thank you kindly,

Niwel
05-04-2004, 12:19 PM
Well since you seem to have everything under control ... rent and watch "Disneyland Sing-A-Long Songs." It is a bit dated but still a lot of fun.

scaeagles
05-04-2004, 12:20 PM
I wrote an excel spreadsheet with a countdown of the weeks/days/hours/min/secs left until our 8:00 a.m. departure on June 27. We have fun checking it to see exactly how much time is left until we go, and check it frequently. As of now, there are only 4,646,816 seconds left! Even less now.....even less now...even less now....

I was amazed at how difficult it was to do something that would seem so simple in excel, but man, was it a pain!

The Mouse Is Back
05-04-2004, 12:22 PM
(1) Go get "Birnbaum's Disneyland: The Official Guide", which I think is updated every year or so. I still have fun reading it and it gets me all geared up to go to DL! Even though we go many times per year.

(2) Plan your wardrobe, and if you can afford it, purchase some new lightweight (it's going to be warm), non-wrinkling, easy to pack separates.

(3) After you plan your wardrobe, do as much packing as you can ahead of time.

(4) Play Trivial Pursuit, Disney version. It's fun!

I'm sure that some of the other Padders will be along to add to the list, but maybe this will give you a start.

:)

-Allegra-

Photographer
05-04-2004, 12:25 PM
I'd say you could watch Disney movies to re-aquaint yourself with the various stories. Unless you already know them. :) Ehhh if you do scrapbooking you could go out and buy the supplies ahead of time. Make a list of all the characters you want to meet. :)

mrs_toad
05-04-2004, 12:40 PM
Go to the Library and check out all the Disney books you can find. There are a lot of them out there.

If you want to purchase a few guides, Overstock.com has the Birnbaum's book that Allegra mentioned. They also have "Los Angeles & Disneyland for Dummies" (it's pretty good, don't be offended by the title). The latter covers a lot of stuff, not just DL, which would be good for you since you are going on other outings as well. Overstock's prices are great and their shipping is cheap.

I love your enthusiasm...it's contagious! :)

Khiori
05-04-2004, 01:03 PM
My trip is next week. I've been passing the time listening to music on this (http://www.live365.com/cgi-bin/directory.cgi?searchgenre=All&quality=0&genre=All&searchdesc=Disney&searchfields=&x=16&y=6) site. (hope that link works!)

Hakuna Makarla
05-04-2004, 02:24 PM
I to have been watching this site every half hour LOL! between house cleaning, and computer, doing dinner, and watching computer LOL! I am now packing and un packing to see how all fits( I will need a bigger suitcase! ) And making sure my list is up to date on what to bring and what to not brin g. So far, new cloths( got most of them now) video now and movies( for little one to watch while standing in lines) scraping suplies are begining to take shape, and so far I to am going nuts til the day we leave.....
I better go get them books you all are talking about, off we goooooo ....

Hakuna Makarla
05-04-2004, 02:31 PM
ok, got the book( went to ebay and did the purchase it now feature! ) I love ebay!!
I will now have something to read while passing the time until our trip. boy I can not believe I found a copy of this and paid only 4.99, with 3.99 shipping ( its new to! ) now off to find the other book( the official guide. thanks for good info!

Hakuna Makarla
05-04-2004, 02:40 PM
My trip is next week. I've been passing the time listening to music on this (http://www.live365.com/cgi-bin/directory.cgi?searchgenre=All&quality=0&genre=All&searchdesc=Disney&searchfields=&x=16&y=6) site. (hope that link works!)

Thanks for your link , I like it already!

Lekta
05-04-2004, 05:12 PM
Great suggestions all! I have "The Everything Travel guide to the Disneyland Resort". It is a good read. I'm also planning on watching The Haunted Mansion and Dreamcatcher (I know, not a very good movie, but, last time we went to DLand we watched it in the theatre in Downtown Disney, so, it has it's memory for me). Also plan to watch a few other Disney movies a couple days prior.

Boy, I can't wait!

Kevy Baby
05-04-2004, 05:21 PM
Plot an overthrow of the government
Learn Latin
Start a journal of every word you know
Manually figure pi
Attempt to discover 3894/Helen's nom de plume
Memorize the leaders of every country
Pick up a copy of your local white pages and recite every name
Translate "War & Peace" into Pig Latin
Write pointless lists on MousePad

Lekta
05-06-2004, 05:46 PM
On the previous subject of movies to watch, has anyone had the chance to see the new Peter Pan? I hear that it is not too shabby, and was considering renting it tonight to further build on my anticipation.

superjocko
05-06-2004, 07:18 PM
I'm in the same boat. We'll be leaving early in the AM (probably between 4 and 5) on June 27th. I've got several Disney movie DVDs to keep the kids entertained on the drive after they wake up. That DVD player option for the minivan was money well spent. ;)

As far as passing the time right now, I've just been cruising a few Disney related message boards and what not. I'm glad I found this thread though. I think I'll pick up the books mentioned, and possibly even the Disney version of Trivial Pursuit. (I never even knew they had one)

Not Afraid
05-06-2004, 07:48 PM
Thanks for your link , I like it already!

E Ticket Radio is the creation of our own Flubber.

I'm an information junkie. I start at maps, read books about places, make lists of what I want to see. I always pick an "off the beaten track" thing to do while I'm visiting. (I'm going canoeing in Florida, maybe see some gators!).

There are many many many books about Disneyland other than the travel guides. See if your library has The Nickle Tour which goes through the history of the park via postcards. It's a fascinating book and might be fun to peruse.

Plan to start a collection. Pins, Postcards, Antenae Balls, something fairly inexpensive.

Order your Disney Scrapbook from Creative Memories. It's perfect for preserving your Disney memories. AdrienneK has much more info about that than I do.

You'll be here in no time.