PDA

View Full Version : Best tips for a first timer.....

siamese1975
05-02-2004, 04:02 PM
Can anyone share their tips for the park with me? I've heard about the single riders line, although I'm not sure how it works..... Also any restaurant recommendations to either go to or stay away from? Thanks so much, all your comments will be of help to me!!

:D

MonorailMan
05-02-2004, 04:48 PM
First, about Single Rider. How it works, is that you go to the Cast Member at the entrance of the Attraction, and ask for a Single Rider Pass. Then you useally enter the exit, and board the attraction that way, however, some attractions load differently. Ask a Cast Member for help.

Attactions that offer Single Rider:
Disneyland: Splash Mountain, Indiana Jones Adventure (Been on and off, refining the system.)
California Adventure: MaliBOOMer, Grizzley River Run, Soarin' Over California, Mulholland Madness (Only if line is longer than 25 minutes)

kdrickard
05-02-2004, 08:23 PM
Two tips that have been mentioned by many others before but I will attest are two of the most important:

1. Get in to the park early; you can walk on to virtually any ride with little to moderate wait for the first couple of hours after the park opens in the morning.

2. Understand how the fastpass system works. See the most recent post on this by Darkbeer.

hope this helps,

Kevin

MonorailMan
05-02-2004, 08:30 PM
Here's the link to DarkBeer's "Joy of Fastpass" thread:
You better Click Here! (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=24421&highlight=Fastpass)

Also, another tip, is don't be afraid to ask for little things. Want Row 1/6 on Tower? Ask for it.

Plus, at most eateries, you can ask for a free cup of ice water. Plus!, if your looking for a quick, cheaper bite, (and darn good burgers!), head to Whitewater Snacks in the Grand Californian Hotel. :)

Morrigoon
05-02-2004, 09:36 PM
Ride Peter Pan FIRST. It doesn't have fastpass and the line will never be shorter than right after rope drop. After that, become a fastpass-gathering junkie. BTW: your fastpasses can't be used before the window, but can be used after, so ride non-FP attractions while the lines are short, and gather your FPs as you go along, then use them later in the day. Pirates is not attached to the system, so you can hold that FP AND mansion at the same time.

cryan71
05-02-2004, 09:59 PM
Also, DON'T STRESS. Stop yelling at your kids -- hate seeing that.

You don't have to see everything. You can come back a year later.

Buy water and snacks outside of the park as you will save a ton of money, even if you get it from the AM/PM on Ball Road.

grnardo
05-02-2004, 10:11 PM
I would say relax, look around, and don't stress. Going to a theme park is not that hard, despite what you may read on here.

Getting flustered so you can ride Alice in Wonderland, for example, is not worth it- it's a standard amusement park dark ride. Disneyland Resort has about nine great rides and a lot of mediocre ones or ones also available in regional amusement parks. Try to see the big nine and figure out the fastpass thing to do so, but if you miss one or two so what? Just have fun.

Don't miss the entertainers, people-watching, and atmosphere so you can hurry to see a 3-D movie where you are covered in pretend dog snot!

GR Nardo

Zigen
05-03-2004, 06:45 AM
Watch Fantasmic! Try to watch the 10:30pm showing if possible (less crowed) or pay for reserved seating (its worth it IMO).

ToursbabeC3po
05-03-2004, 07:37 AM
Also, DON'T STRESS. Stop yelling at your kids -- hate seeing that.
AMEN!!!!! I hate it when parents are yelling at there kids!

siamese1975
05-03-2004, 08:01 AM
:cool: thanks so much for all the info!!!

millionairegirl
05-03-2004, 08:05 AM
Get there at park opening and see more in two hours than some won't see all day. Take a midday break, and come back for evening (if the park is open late). Make a priority list; maybe you've wanted to ride Dumbo forever, if that's a priority do it first (or last).

Make a lunch PS for Blue Bayou. Nothing beats a mardi gras salad and a Monte Cristo, while watching the POTC boats float by.

Nephythys
05-03-2004, 08:05 AM
Don't miss out on the Blue Bayou.

Definately hit Fantasyland first, but pick up FP for things like Splash.

How long will you be there? One day or more?

siamese1975
05-03-2004, 08:16 AM
I'll be at Disney for 5 days.......any advise for the Fantasmic priority seating?

SCUBAbe
05-03-2004, 08:18 AM
defiantly start early. I'm not a morining person and usually show up around noon and it's already busy then. Last time we got there at 8:30am and walked on the first few rides. In two hours we did more than we usually do all day. When it got very hot and crowded we left the park and came back when our room was ready. Then went back at night. It worked out perfect.:)

Nephythys
05-03-2004, 08:29 AM
I'll be at Disney for 5 days.......any advise for the Fantasmic priority seating?

Get there early, unless you want to pay for the dessert buffet.

5 days- then let me tell you what NOT to do, don't do what I did, try to go from open to close. That quest to absorb as much DL as possible really knocked me out. Take your time, see the shows. Hit the Tiki Room during the hottest part of the day.

Take time for a Character Breakfast, Goofy's Kitchen is alot of fun.

Is this a "grown up" trip, or are there kids? You mentioned the single rider line, so it's just you?

Zigen
05-03-2004, 09:09 AM

1st, decide if you want Balcony seats or River Front seats. Balcony seats seem to be the favorite on the boards (i havent done the balcony, i did the river front and liked it very much, there are many threads on this subject). Balcony is a little further back away from the "stage" but has a very good view. River front isn't right up against the water but is close enough to get a clean view with maybe 1 light post in your view. The price includes a all u can eat dessert buffet and drinks. If the fireworks are showing, you can stay and watch from the priority seats.

Call 30 days in advance as soon as they open to book balcony seats. River front seats more people so it doesnt sell out as fast. Its about 50 dollars per person.

If you dont buy the priority seating, try to go to the 10:30pm show, it is easier to find someplace to watch. If you cant make it that late, show up to the 9pm showing a couple of hours early. If you don't you risk getting a bad spot to watch.

If you have small kids who love disney characters, get a autograph book and get autographs from their favorite characters. This will give you time to rest while in line for the characters. Character dining is a good way to do this too (goofys kitchen is a good place). Take lots of pictures with the characters. I like to go back to the hotel and rest/swim after lunch then come back later. If you have a little girl, dress her up in a disney princess costume. Characters will bow and talk to them a little more ive noticed.

If your looking for a good spot for the DL parade, try sitting near the alice and wonderland wall close to the bathrooms and along the side of the street. Its a good shady spot. The matterhorn and the monorail is in the background in case you are taking pictures or video, they close down the line to the matterhorn and nobody is allowed to sit on that side so all the characters in the parade focus on your side.

Lasty start early when the park 1st opens. You can ride a lot of rides in a short period of time when it opens. Around noon, it gets very busy, take your time, rest, see a show, shop and have fun.

Tigertail777
05-03-2004, 09:20 AM
If you are a fan of pineapple, you just HAVE to have Dole whip during the hot part of the day (over by the tiki room).

Make sure you take time to see some of the more charming but tame nooks and crannies of the park: the Tarzan treehouse (except for the first steep climb) is a leisurely relaxing attraction for example.

Some of the best souvineers are the cheapest especially if you are bringing things back for friends or family: the squashed penny machines all around the park are great fun to colllect and are wonderful souvineers. In Adventureland go into the bazaar inside is a fun little machine called "shrunken head ned" you can get a "doctors prescription from the jungles only shrunken head witch doctor" a very fun experience, and you get a little keepsake card, which are great for putting into a scrapbook of your trip. If you ARE into scrapbooking, keep your old Fastpasses whenever possible they are also wonderful scrap book items. Postcards are another wonderful and cheap souvineer, AND if you look in the newsstands just as you enter the park, they also sell very cheap full wall maps of the park (right around $4) this is also a great souvineer to pick up for folks (DCA also sells a wall map, its very beautiful and cheap as well). My favorite souvineer to buy for others and myself: they have little diecast ride vehicles of the different rides in the park, they are pretty detailed and are only around $8.00, best selection is in the main st emporium. Bottom line on souvineers: dont feel you have to go for broke on getting expensive items the cheap ones are just as charming and fun, just try to get something that is exclusive to Disneyland park (or DCA) which is a little harder to do now than in the past, but still can be done.

When taking pictures, dont be the Disney Dork I was... make sure that you get pictures of YOURSELF in the park! If you want a picture with everyone in it, dont be afraid to ask a cast member to take a shot of all of you they will be more than happy to oblige.

DONT take flash pictures on the rides if at all possible, A) you wont get that wonderful shot you think you are getting, B) it ruins other guests enjoyment. It is indeed possible to get decent pictures of the insides of the rides without a flash: use 800 speed film, have a steady hand, and carefully time things.

One of my favorite souvineers: an audio party... bring a tape recorder or other audio recording device and just record you and your family having a great time on the rides etc. Its less of a hassle than a camcorder, you can just turn it on and let it make memories for you. You will cherish that audio in years to come, and audio is a wonderful little time capsule of the wonderful day you spent. You can later have the audio put onto cd, and put it in a paper envelope inside a scrapbook. Also its easy and cheap to make copies for others in your party that may want one.

05-03-2004, 09:25 AM
Ride Peter Pan FIRST.

I say skip Fantasyland completely. Also ToonTown.

You have better fish to fry.

First, you take the train all around the park. Get off where you started: Main Street. Now have a taste of the formerly glorious Tomorrowland (sob!). Go on to Adventureland, New Orleans Square, Tom Sawyer's Island, and Bear Country.

You're welcome.

wendybeth
05-03-2004, 09:57 AM
I say skip Fantasyland completely. Also ToonTown.

I have to disagree on this one; Fantasyland may not have the thrill rides, but it is my favorite. To me it's the heart of DL, and I couldn't imagine not going there. If you skip Fantasyland, you're missing:
Alice in Wonderland
King Arthur Carrousel
Matterhorn
Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
Peter Pan
Pinnochio
Dumbo
Snow White's Scary Adventures
Storybookland
Casey, Jr. train
Teacups
It's a Small World
...and a whole lot more. If you love the traditional Disney animated movies, you will love Fantasyland. Mickey resides in Toontown, so if you want to meet up with him, you pretty much have to pay a visit to his house. I don't really care for Toontown either, but I know a lot of people love it.

CarlieB
05-03-2004, 01:04 PM
5 days is a good amount of time to relax and enjoy the parks. Take a break in the afternoon - it's worth it. Go back to your hotel, have a nap or a swim, or check out Downtown Disney. Then you'll really enjoy the evening, back in the parks, which is one of the best times to spend in DL, imho - the lights make everything look magical and it's just beautiful:)

Make sure to take in some of the shows and entertainment. Billy Hill & the Hillbillies are fantastic - definitely worth seeing.

And definitely see Fantasmic if it's showing - it's totally worth it.

adriennek
05-03-2004, 02:04 PM

DL Fantasmic is not like WDW Fantasmic. WDW has a theater for Fantasmic. DL has the entire Rivers of America. You only need PS if you plan to pay for the dessert buffet on the balcony or on the "river front." Otherwise, you just get there as early as you can to claim your seats. As others have said, this is easier for the 10:30 show.

Adrienne