PDA

View Full Version : Haunted Mansion 50th Event

Pages : [1] 2

Shortpix77
05-21-2019, 10:36 AM
So Disney Parks Blog officially announced it and the event page is back up:
https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2019/05/going-our-way-celebrating-50-years-of-the-haunted-mansion-retirement-unliving-at-disneyland-park/

$299, two different nights. Crud-ton of merchandise:
https://www.eventswithdisney.com/profile/web/index.cfm?PKwebID=0x123957b812&varPage=home&&varPage=activity

Anyone trying for it? I'm debating. It's sooooo late. And soooo expensive. But I bet the entertainment and photo ops will be cool, not to mention all the awesome merchandise (but on top of the $299 ticket price, that would be one pricey evening...)

NickP
05-21-2019, 10:52 AM
definitely thinking about it. I can get past the sticker shock since it's a limited, after hours (basically overnight) event and I am not one to jump to the "Disney's greedy" bandwagon but for them to not include parking is a bit stingy.

cstephens
05-21-2019, 12:12 PM
I'm interested but since I don't think it's going to sell out, especially given that it's two nights, I'm gonna wait and think about it for a bit. The pricing is in line with recent events, so that's not surprising. Kind of a blast to the past to see RSP again for merchandise. I'm really surprised they're offering AP only merchandise. I don't recall them doing that for an event like this in the past. And the AP-only merchandise includes a Dooney and Bourke. That's gonna cause a riot.

SoCalDisneyLover
05-21-2019, 02:54 PM
I'm interested but since I don't think it's going to sell out, especially given that it's two nights, I'm gonna wait and think about it for a bit.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Though on the bright side, if you wait, and it sells out, your decision will have been made for you.

MidwayManiac
05-21-2019, 02:54 PM
This couldn’t come at a worse time with our first two days of the school year being August 8 & 9. I teach middle school. And there’s nothing even remotely fiscally responsible about doing this.

That said, I’m considering it.

olegc
05-21-2019, 03:18 PM
well it has to be Aug 9th - thats the actual 50th date. Interesting that some of the items had descriptions that included noting the merch will appear in some retail locations after the event. Does that mean they made a lot? Hmmm.

RSP is back but so much? Like pent up demand. I spoke with Michelle Harker last year when HalloweenTime started and she mentioned something huge was coming for HM 50th. I am surprised as to the wide variety of items. Taking a chance to have some stuff at the store later is what my plan is.

If I go. I was all set to sign up then it hit me about the amount of spend. Spending enough at SWGE next month then having enough put away for the next set of purchases. ugh!

olegc
05-21-2019, 05:41 PM
I forgot to note that, to me, POTC got a raw deal for their 50th compared to this. I know HM will generate more merch sales but POTC never had a special event, nor a ton of special merch. Just a few items on the actual weekend like tshirts, pins, sipper, and a couple of food items. For me POTC has more importance on Disneyland history. I guess, though, that doesn't matter compared to $$.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

tea4two
05-21-2019, 08:25 PM
It's so tempting, but it's right before CHOC Walk weekend. And then Expo comes zooming up after that. We're going to be soooo broke! (And soooo tired!) And then the Halloween Parties start the next month... I guess if we just quit eating, maybe we could swing all these fun things into our schedule.

olegc
05-21-2019, 08:28 PM
It's the new metaphor (like the food in the parks). There's just too many options to do everything.

The more I think about what tea4two mentioned I'm leaning towards not attending and taking a chance some generic 50th merch may be around. Then again, the expo is every two years but there's only one 50th anniversary.

cstephens
05-21-2019, 09:16 PM
It's the new metaphor (like the food in the parks). There's just too many options to do everything.

I don't think they expect everyone to do everything. The last big event was the Pixar Pier re-theme, which was last year. They've had a couple of After Dark events, with different themes each time. Expo is a whole different thing than anything offered at the parks. They are all different experiences, and while there would reasonably be some kind of overlap of interest, I expect most people are interested in one or the other.

ChipmunkStar
05-22-2019, 07:14 PM
They had me until the price tag. If it were priced like the other recent events at around $99 or $150, I'd be completely sold. But $300 is pretty steep for an event I'll probably sleep through half of!

olegc
05-22-2019, 07:43 PM
I made the decision tonight. Not going. Though I know I'll be jealous when I see the Instagram and Twitter posts. Asking for $300 blows my budget out for a bunch of other stuff. I'll just be sure to be there during ops hours on the 9th and maybe some items will make it to Port Royal or Disneyana.

NickP
05-23-2019, 07:03 AM
Arggh, I don't know what to do. I was planning on going but now I am leaning towards not. If the tickets sell out fast my mind will be made up for me though so that is something

Dave1313
05-23-2019, 08:13 AM
No one putting the one of a kind guitar on the top of their list? ;) (I might be wrong, but I think that was the highest ticket at around $30k?)

Certainly an interesting assortment of merchandise, but it does seem over the top, even for such an iconic attraction's 50th anniversary.

I hope all of you locals who do decide to do it have a good time! :)

Shortpix77
05-23-2019, 09:29 AM
No one putting the one of a kind guitar on the top of their list? ;) (I might be wrong, but I think that was the highest ticket at around $30k?)

Certainly an interesting assortment of merchandise, but it does seem over the top, even for such an iconic attraction's 50th anniversary.

I hope all of you locals who do decide to do it have a good time! :)

$33K. Lol. Too rich for my blood! I decided not to do it, but I will admit I've been checking Twitter to see if others are doing it and how fast it sells out...

olegc
05-23-2019, 09:31 AM
$33K. Lol. Too rich for my blood! I decided not to do it, but I will admit I've been checking Twitter to see if others are doing it and how fast it sells out...+1

cstephens
05-23-2019, 09:45 AM

It's nice that they have an assortment of things at different price points. I know some of the prior events had a lot of merchandise offerings but I can't remember if it was this much, at least for a single-attraction event. I know that for Disneyland's 50th party, there was a TON of merchandise available. Some of the other events had some bigger-ticket items, but again, I can't remember. Didn't one of the prior Haunted Mansion events offer a replica of the standing clock in the hallway? I don't remember if it was full-size, though.

Just checked the queue. They've got a mechanism to weed out bots, and it was about a 30 second wait in the queue. It said 60% of the tickets were still available.

jswtsang
05-23-2019, 11:34 AM
Not going, I looked because I love the haunted mansion, but if all 4 of us went that would be $1200, which quite frankly I'd rather spend on another year of passes. It sounds fun, but it's late and I have a feeling most of the time would be spent waiting in line for stuff and pictures...I see there are some experiences but nothing that $300 wows me. I must be getting old and curmudgeonly, but I'd rather buy merch online or on online auction than in the middle of the night during a party I have to pay for, but maybe that's just me.

cstephens
05-23-2019, 11:51 AM
It sounds fun, but it's late and I have a feeling most of the time would be spent waiting in line for stuff and pictures...I see there are some experiences but nothing that $300 wows me. I must be getting old and curmudgeonly, but I'd rather buy merch online or on online auction than in the middle of the night during a party I have to pay for, but maybe that's just me.

Actually, the way these work because of the RSP, you wouldn't be buying merchandise during the event. During check-in during the day, you'd pick up whatever items you "won" in the RSP and be able to browse anything that would still be available, all of which is usually done in a meeting room at the Disneyland Hotel. It's not like with the After Dark events.

I'm likely not going to attend. I like the Haunted Mansion, but it's not "my" ride, so I'm more hesitant to spend that kind of money. And, I'm not really big on photo ops, which is a lot of what many events include nowadays because everyone wants to have that cute Instagram picture. I was just talking to a friend about this last night. I miss the old events with panel discussion and/or shows and maybe dinner included. Maybe nowadays, with so much information out on the internet, they don't think people would be interested in panel discussions anymore. And as a practicality, many of the Imagineers who worked on these attractions aren't around or available anymore. Those events were also much more limited in how many people could attend since it was the same itinerary for everyone. With these kinds of events, they can have many more people attend, and since entire lands and multiple attractions are open, they can charge more than if it was just one ride on one attraction.

olegc
05-23-2019, 12:04 PM
Good points all cstephens. I too miss the panels and events from the 2000s. I remember the first one for HMH. And Pirates of course. And the 40th for HM with the Bride "dinner and show". Those were real events. This one feels more like a Parks Blog Meetup with a little extra hype - and a steep price.

Shortpix77
05-23-2019, 01:43 PM
Agree with cstephens and oleg -- I'd WAY prefer a panel or something like that, or anything that's like an "inside look" at the ride itself or something you can't do as a day guest. Club 33 held a dinner inside the portrait hallway awhile back -- I'd pay the money for that!! A reception inside the Mansion, riding with the lights on, walking through... pretty much any of that I would've thrown the money at them. But when it came down to it, this was $300 to take a few pictures, ride rides that I can ride anytime NOT in the middle of the night, and buy stuff (and most of what interests me isn't limited, and it looks like I can probably buy the next day). Mansion is my favorite ride, but this still didn't get me.

june1st1997
05-23-2019, 06:01 PM
DD and I are going. She is on summer vacation and it happens to be a week she doesn't have much going on. I will not be buying ANY merchandise, for me it is about being in the park with my 13yr old at 1am riding rides. The experience.

DD and I did a 3 day girls trip last year to WDW. We had the BEST TIME. We aren't going back to WDW til their 50th (my 50th too ), so this was a mini WDW trip in my mind.

tea4two
05-23-2019, 07:55 PM
I hope there is a panel at Expo. I would totally wait in line for that!

olegc
05-23-2019, 09:30 PM
I was watching a live stream from FreshBaked tonight - and the host couple and plenty of viewers had bought tickets.

As of tonight at 1030pm Pacific there are tickets for both nights.

sjhanksaz
05-31-2019, 12:23 PM
I saw an news story pop up on my phone about voting to help make a haunted mansion Lego set a reality so that we could buy it in stores. When I clicked on it I was sad to see a Lego version of the HM at Disney World and not the one at Disneyland.

Disney World's HM is not 50 Years old.

Who checks the facts on these "news" articles?