PDA

View Full Version : Will Pooh Push Out Paradise?

innerSpaceman
10-24-2001, 05:50 PM
Not only are we going to get a second rate Pooh ride, but I am wondering if my worst fear will come true and the best spot in the magic kingdom will be destroyed in the process.

I'm talking about that delightful spot beneath Hungry Bear Restaurant, all the way back - - keep going - back, back as far as you can go. That wonderful alcove hardly visited by another human soul, right along the banks of the Rivers of America. Best place to go on a crowded day, or a hot & crowded day, or just to enjoy the sheer tranquility and beauty of it at any time. It's such a special place that I usually wouldn't dare mention it for fear of its popularity spreading (though anyone reading this is probably familiar with it already). When lines are too long, crowds are too thick, weather's too hot, etc., one can sit there for ages watching the ducks and the canoes paddle by, the Mark Twain making her stately rounds, and even the Columbia when she's rarely sailing. The Disneyland Railroad goes by now and then. It's a veritable cross-roads of Disneyland transportation and yet the most peaceful and relaxing place in the Park.

Will it be destroyed when Pooh comes to town? Will it be off-limits to law-abiding guests? Does anyone know the fate of this most magical area?

What will be achieved if we have gained a Pooh ride, but lost the most blissful spot in all of Disneyland?

totbellhop
10-24-2001, 06:14 PM
First they take out the Country Bears.
Then a Pooh ride(pause here, it hasn't be officially announced), copy from the one at the Magic Kingdom, that will drive the crowds like Splash Mountain did when it open.
Now, we lose one of the only calm places from Disneyland.
What is next?
Pooh Land:eek:

Ace
10-24-2001, 06:26 PM
you're freaking right! I went there for the first time last visit, and that place rules...It's one of my two favorite spots, along with..... well, it's the only place of it's kind in Disneyland....along with NOS

rexfarms
10-24-2001, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by innerSpaceman
Not only are we going to get a second rate Pooh ride, but I am wondering if my worst fear will come true and the best spot in the magic kingdom will be destroyed in the process.

I'm talking about that delightful spot beneath Hungry Bear Restaurant, all the way back - - keep going - back, back as far as you can go. That wonderful alcove hardly visited by another human soul, right along the banks of the Rivers of America. Best place to go on a crowded day, or a hot & crowded day, or just to enjoy the sheer tranquility and beauty of it at any time. It's such a special place that I usually wouldn't dare mention it for fear of its popularity spreading (though anyone reading this is probably familiar with it already). When lines are too long, crowds are too thick, weather's too hot, etc., one can sit there for ages watching the ducks and the canoes paddle by, the Mark Twain making her stately rounds, and even the Columbia when she's rarely sailing. The Disneyland Railroad goes by now and then. It's a veritable cross-roads of Disneyland transportation and yet the most peaceful and relaxing place in the Park.

Will it be destroyed when Pooh comes to town? Will it be off-limits to law-abiding guests? Does anyone know the fate of this most magical area?

What will be achieved if we have gained a Pooh ride, but lost the most blissful spot in all of Disneyland?

Please explane more to me about this, I have never been there, sounds like a great spot.

Thomas
10-24-2001, 07:09 PM
NO, NO, NO!!!! This place is too private. Do not give out directions. Sorry, for being so greedy.

MammaSilva
10-24-2001, 07:28 PM
LOL the directions were already in the first post.....but anyone who spends much time on that side of the park already knows the spot....and I agree it is almost 'magical'

rexfarms
10-24-2001, 07:43 PM
Alright fine, I'll find it myself. It will just be harder. Sure could use some "magic" in my life these days. And if it is that private, it shouldnt have been posted in the first place.

MammaSilva
10-24-2001, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by innerSpaceman

I'm talking about that delightful spot beneath Hungry Bear Restaurant, all the way back - - keep going - back, back as far as you can go.

Like I said .....the directions were in the first post :)

innerSpaceman
10-24-2001, 08:32 PM
Rexfarms, it is not private. It's just very out of the way and not known to many casual Disneyland guests. But to you, and to everyone who frequents MousePad, I'd be glad to point the way, although as mammasilva says, it's in the first post.

Just go down below Hungry Bear Restaurant, the lower level where the restrooms are ... and then keep going back as far as you can go. You'll know it when you get there. But, sshhh, it's a secret. Part of the charm is that hardly a soul ever goes there. Still, I'm glad to pass it on to any who haven't yet discovered it, cause I'm really scared that we won't be able to go there much longer. Sometimes when the Park is real crowded, this place saves my sanity.

bluepearl
10-24-2001, 11:17 PM
I was at Disneyland last Sunday, and while my friends went to the restrooms, I sat down in the lower level of the Hungry Bear restaurant. And reading from the descriptions, I think I would know how to get there and will have much more time to explore different parts now that I'm an AP holder for both parks. However, I noticed that the back area was roped off and no one but the cast members were permitted to go beyond that point. Let's see if I can explain what I was seeing - I was sitting with my back towards where the canoes leave the dock; and if I were to follow the River, it would be going clockwise. I could also see a small...how do I say this...area where it looks like small boats can go through, off to the right of the restaurant. Anybody get what I'm saying? I know, I have a bad way with words. Anyway...the back section of the lower level was roped off. I'm assuming that's open during peak hours?

splbound
10-25-2001, 09:03 AM
Just had to add my two cents...

Every year in the middle of summer I take a week's vacation and go to DL each day with my now 4 year old daughter. The special place described here is where every day we go, get lunch, and feed the ducks with a few stray french fries. She sits on my lap, and we watch as the Mark Twain and canoes amble by. Time stands still, and it is truly a magical time and place for the both of us, and one that I'm sure will be a lifelong memory of her crazy dad who loves DL so much.

The thought of that place going away brings a little tear to my eye, but this was the last summer that we will be doing this little ritual, as next summer she will be in school. Oh well....

Thanks for letting me share....

Ralph Wiggum
10-25-2001, 10:16 AM
I love that place..you can wave to people as the train goes by and as the boats and canoes go by and you can feed the ducks...its a great place

stinkerbell
10-25-2001, 01:03 PM
The thought of that place going away brings a little tear to my eye, but this was the last summer that we will be doing this little ritual, as next summer she will be in school. Oh well....

Thanks for letting me share....

Oh, please, please, please don't let a little thing like kindergarten interrupt that kind of magic!! That area back there is so wonderful and your ritual is so beautiful.

Last year my family went to go hang out there for a quiet time and there was another couple there. We all looked so surprised to see other people there, but then they smiled and the woman said, "This is a really special place, isn't it?" and then they visited with us and were so sweet to my not-so-sweet-at-the-moment children. This last visit I sat out there with my mom while my husband took a turn with the girls. She told me a few stories from my childhood visits to DL, while we held hands. I'll always cherish those moments and when I return next month with my oldest daughter, who is six, I know we'll spend time there each day. By the time the Pooh ride goes in, my girls will miss that quiet oasis, more than they'll enjoy a Pooh ride. I like to think of that as my "Thotful spot."

Nigel2
10-25-2001, 10:24 PM
Oh yes playing spot the tourist, you wave and anyone who waves back is (usually) a tourist. :D

stinkerbell
10-26-2001, 05:03 AM
Originally posted by Nigel2
Oh yes playing spot the tourist, you wave and anyone who waves back is (usually) a tourist. :D

Or a parent of a young child. Give us wavers a break!!:o
Just kidding.......;)