PDA

View Full Version : Terrorism and Disneyland

first time DL
05-01-2004, 08:28 PM
Forgive me for asking - I don't want to start another firestorm - but I am wondering about the "heightened terrorist threat in LA", and what that might mean for DL. I know that the report is "shopping malls" but how reliable is that considering the "terrorists" are providing the information.

Is the DisneyLand Security on heightened alert these days?

Bruce Bergman
05-01-2004, 09:30 PM
Forgive me for asking - I don't want to start another firestorm - but I am wondering about the "heightened terrorist threat in LA", and what that might mean for DL. I know that the report is "shopping malls" but how reliable is that considering the "terrorists" are providing the information.

Is the DisneyLand Security on heightened alert these days?

They have been at a pretty high level of alert from the beginning, and they have hardened the security at many points around the resort - though most of it is invisible, and some only obvious if you know where to look. I wouldn't try pulling anything.

The only thing you have to worry about as a Guest is bringing any knives, glass bottles or other weapons (or potential weapons) with you, they check everyone as you enter the parks. If they don't approve of the item, you will be taking it back to your car - or you'll be having a discussion with the nice DL Security CM's and the nice Anaheim PD Officers instead... :eek:

:fez: --<< Bruce >>--

disney_j
05-01-2004, 10:13 PM
Well,
I don't know how 'heightened' the terroism threat is now, but i know back in March of 2003, the week the war on Iraq started, it was heavy security. Lots of Anaheim police and Disneyland Security. And the one sight i'll never forget, is seeing the historic Disneyland Castle, and three US Army helicopters flying above, patrolling the Disneyland Resort. Kinda breaks the magic and brings you back into the real world...

cemeinke
05-02-2004, 12:01 AM
Forgive me for asking - I don't want to start another firestorm - but I am wondering about the "heightened terrorist threat in LA", and what that might mean for DL.
Hopefully it means lighter crowds

SCUBAbe
05-02-2004, 08:26 AM
They do have have bag checks going in, but I think thats just to make peope "feel" more secure. They do not look well enough to catch anything. I barely get the zipper on my backpack opened and they are alreday looking at the next person. Thats true with all parks though. I set the metal detector off at MM and they pulled me aside and did a wand sweep over me. The determined the object was in my purse. I went to unzip the purse so they could search it and all the said was, "do you have a cell phone in there?" I said yest and they waved me on without even looking.....maybe I just don't look like a trouble maker...:)

Bruce Bergman
05-02-2004, 11:04 AM
They do have have bag checks going in, but I think thats just to make people "feel" more secure. They do not look well enough to catch anything. I barely get the zipper on my backpack opened and they are already looking at the next person.

They're not just checking the bags, they're checking you out, too. If they have being properly trained, they are studying the people going through the checkpoint for signs of nervousness :confused: , trying to avoid having the Security person check in that particular compartment of their purse or backpack, or other subtle things...

I don't know everything that they are doing to enhance security, but I can spot a LOT of the "hidden" stuff that they are doing (Hey, being observant is part of my job) - and if that's only the tip of the iceberg I'm seeing, this is a big one. :cool:

Thats true with all parks though. I set the metal detector off at MM and they pulled me aside and did a wand sweep over me. The determined the object was in my purse. I went to unzip the purse so they could search it and all the said was, "do you have a cell phone in there?" I said yest and they waved me on without even looking.....maybe I just don't look like a trouble maker...:)

But that's at Six Flags Magic Mountain, or as they were called a few years ago "Six Stabs Tragic Mountain" - they had a huge gang problem for a while, and they had gang members entering wearing colors, with knives and guns, and if someone got on their bad side they weren't above starting a turf war right there. :eek: Obviously, from SFMM's point of view this is very bad for business, so they had to get really serious with their Security, and install metal detectors and get almost Gestapo-like with the "Little Darlings" (*) trying to sneak stuff in at the front gate.

(* - I call them that because when the police call their parents and inform them that their precious Johnny just stabbed someone / grafitti'd the place/ vandalized / etc. the response is inevitably "You're Lying. My Little Darling would NEVER do anything like that!" <Gomer Pyle Voice> Well, Surprise, Surprise, Surprise!! </Gomer Pyle Voice> He did, and we have proof...)

:fez: --<< Bruce >>--

DCAWhites
05-02-2004, 06:35 PM
Security does a generally good job. I mean, I don't think disneyland has EVER had a child abducted (sp?). I'd like to see the pluto patrol units be out a bit more, sniffing lockers and stuff. And as for the bag checks, they're useful for checking for bombs, but guns and knives....no. Someone could freeking wrap a gun up in a sweater in their bag and pass right on through, or carry a knife on their body. But six flags magic mountain has the problems with guns and knives, not disneyland... disneyland should be more concerned about bombs, cause terrorists wouldn't use guns or knives at disneyland.

MonorailMan
05-02-2004, 08:18 PM
Hopefully it means lighter crowds
Ahh, cemeinke, you never let me down. :)

Slate
05-03-2004, 08:29 AM
DL had one gang shooting in the 70's but since then it has been clean and safe. The fact that DL brings people who are into DL characters and history will keep the gangs down. If DL was the only game in town it would be a problem, but with Knotts and 6 flags near by and way less coasters than 6 flags DL is a real family place.

SCUBAbe
05-03-2004, 04:29 PM
DL had one gang shooting in the 70's but since then it has been clean and safe. The fact that DL brings people who are into DL characters and history will keep the gangs down. If DL was the only game in town it would be a problem, but with Knotts and 6 flags near by and way less coasters than 6 flags DL is a real family place.

It's also way less expenisve to get into those other parks. So, they attract a certain type of crowd. MM has a $60 annual pass right now. I'm only about 30 min from MM, but I wil drive the extra hour to go to disneyland. I took my daughter to MM once, because she won tickets. I wasn't sure what to think. Was I at MM or hollywood and vine...apparently they don't have any rules how one can dress there....LOL...I'm pretty opened minded about those things , but who wears short shorts, bikini tops and heels to an amusement park...??

Sailor Butterfly
05-04-2004, 04:50 AM
but who wears short shorts, bikini tops and heels to an amusement park...??

Hoochie mommas, that's who. lol They dress like that everywhere- even when it's cold outside. ;) I can't imagine walking around an amusement park in heels all day. :eek:

The first time I went to DL, I was surprised that they didn't have metal detector wands. Of course, my only knowledge of theme parks at the time was PGA....

Not Afraid
05-04-2004, 07:11 AM
Ten degrees of seperation between Terrorism and Hoochis Mommas. ;)

mrs_toad
05-04-2004, 07:19 AM
Hoochie mommas with a deadly substance tucked between their breasts? :confused: