PDA

View Full Version : Twilight Zone references in the Tower of Terror - can we document all 93?

Pages : [1] 2 3

AVP
04-29-2004, 10:20 PM
According to the Imagineers who designed the Tower of Terror, there are 93 references to Twilight Zone episodes hidden throughout the ride building.

The goal: find, validate, and document them all.

Please post them here as you find them. Include the item, location in the ride, and the episode the item comes from. Once they are validated by another member, we'll add it them to the master list. If you have a photo of the item, please include a link to that photo (on your own web hosting) to assist other people in verifying it. (If you have a photo and you need someone to host it, please post that and we'll see who can help you out)

I'll start - these are all from official Disney press releases, so I'll consider then validated:

The two glass fronted display cases just outside the library contain:
#1 A Gold Thimble - "The After Hours"
#2 A Broken Stopwatch - "A Kind of a Stopwatch"

The Library contains:
#3 Miniature Spaceman - “The Invaders”
#4 The Mystic Seer - “Nick of Time"

In “Modern Wonders” store front along the exit corridor:
#5 Box Camera - “A Most Unusual Camera”

Other references from The Twilight Zone®:
#6 Chalk Marks on the Wall (Boiler Room) - "Little Girl Lost"
#7 Willoughby Travel (Image Capture Area)

Your turn...

#8 Red Phone (Image Capture Area) - "Long Distance Call"
posted by KevyBaby, confirmed by cstephens

#9 Envelope with "Mr. Sterling" written on it (left library) - "A World of His Own"
posted by HB Tigger Fan, confirmed by cstephens
Note: This envelope probably says "Serling" (no T), as used in the original episode. There is a second envelope with the name "Victoria West" in the right library.

#10 Broken Glasses (Library, under TV) - "Time Enough At Last"
posted by Doombuggies, confirmed by Sophie832 and AVP

#11 Voice of little girl can be heard through the static of the radio on the workbench. (Boiler room) - "Little Girl Lost"
Posted by Ghoulish Delight, confirmed by AVP and an Imagineer.

#12 Self typing typwriter with the message "Get out of here, Finchley." (Image Capture Area) - "'A Thing About Machines"
Posted by Ghoulish Delight, confirmed by AVP.

#13 Electric Razor (Image Capture Area) - "A Thing About Machines"
Posted by Ghoulish Delight, confirmed by AVP.

#14 Envelope with "Victoria West" written on it (right library) - "A World of His Own"
posted by AVP, confirmed by Tony
Note: there is a second envelope with "Mr. S(t)erling" in the left library.

#15 Envelope with "Rod Serling" written on it (right library) - "A World of His Own"
posted by AVP, confirmed by Tony
Note: there is a second envelope with "Mr. S(t)erling" in the left library.

#16 Trumpets (both libraries) - "A Passage for Trumpet"
posted by AVP, corrected and confirmed by HollywoodTower

#17 Door with the number 22 on it in front of the out-of-order elevater doors in the lobby - "22"
posted by HollywoodTower, confirmed by Imagineer Michael Sprout.

#18 Note on message board about a guest complaining about having lost a watch that is broken - "A Kind of a Stopwatch"
posted by Ghoulish Delight, confirmed by cstephens.

#19 Copies of Popular Mechanics on workbench in boiler room. - "I Sing the Body Electric"
posted by CaliforniaCrazy, confirmed by AVP.

#20 Footage of Rod Serling on introductory video (library). - "It's a Good Life"
Source: Disneyland press kit.

Kevy Baby
04-30-2004, 09:13 AM
Oh, this will be fun!

I must shamefully admit that I do not have an extensive knowledge of "Twilight Zone" (although ToT has spurned an interest and I think I will tell TiVo to start hunting for it).

#8 But I can share one addition (and credit goes to GusGus on this one); in the exit lobby, in the display cases under the image capture screens, there is a little red phone that references an episode where "Grandma" would call a little girl. Unfortunately, I do not know the name of the episode though. Can somebody will in the details?

I noticed that there are small table tent (like when your name is shown where you sit at a formal dining) type placard in front of several items on display through the attraction (The Box Camera, The Red Phone, the Vases in the lobby right before the elevator, etc.). They seem like they are hinting that these items may be from episodes.

HBTiggerFan
04-30-2004, 09:57 AM
I don't know if this counts but in the left library there is a letter addressed to Mr. Sterling.

cstephens
04-30-2004, 10:42 AM
#8 But I can share one addition (and credit goes to GusGus on this one); in the exit lobby, in the display cases under the image capture screens, there is a little red phone that references an episode where "Grandma" would call a little girl. Unfortunately, I do not know the name of the episode though. Can somebody will in the details?

That's "Long Distance Call", and it was actually a boy who was receiving phone calls from his dead grandmother.

I don't know if this counts but in the left library there is a letter addressed to Mr. Sterling.

It's not actually a letter addressed to him. It's a letter that has the audiotape of his description and is from the episode "A World of His Own", where a writer actually creates the people in his environment by talking into a dictation machine. There are actually two envelopes in the library, but I can't remember the name on the other envelope.

Doombuggies
04-30-2004, 06:05 PM
In the Library, below the TV, there a pair of broken glasses from a classic episoide (forget what its called though).

Sophie832
04-30-2004, 08:18 PM
In the Library, below the TV, there a pair of broken glasses from a classic episoide (forget what its called though).

"Time Enough At Last"

AVP
05-01-2004, 09:25 AM
On the bookshelves of both libraries are books (scripts?) with the titles of various episodes on them. I'm going to try to get a list next time I go - I know "To Serve Man" is one of them. I don't know if these are supposed to count individually, or as a group.

AVP

Ghoulish Delight
05-01-2004, 09:44 AM
In the cases below the photo screens is the self typing typwriter with the messagen "Get out of here, Finchley." from 'A Thing About Machines'. The electric razor in there are a reference to the same episode.

As you exit the right-side library, there is a message board with lots of little notes. I haven't read all of them, but I saw one of a guest complaining about having lost a watch that is broken (a reference to the same watch that is in the glass case in before the library.

I THINK this is also a "Little Girl Lost" reference, but just before the downstairs load area there is a work table with a lot of items on it. One is a radio. Most of the time you hear static, but every once in a while you hear some pretty freaky noises, some of which sound like a little girl's voice (didn't they hear the girl's voice through a radio?). There's also a simlar radio upstairs in the cage with all the dials.

Not really an episode reference, but just something I noticed. I first thought about this while playing that game to get the online fastpass thing. During the switchboard bit, there's a call from kids trick or treating. That made me wonder. So, on that same table downstairs that has the radio, there's a newspaper...and it's dated October 31, 1939. So that apparantly is supposed to be the date.

Again, not an episode reference, just interesting. There's a sign hanging on the smaller boiler that says, "Danger man in boiler." Weird.

AVP
05-01-2004, 09:49 AM
I THINK this is also a "Little Girl Lost" reference, but just before the downstairs load area there is a work table with a lot of items on it. One is a radio. Most of the time you hear static, but every once in a while you hear some pretty freaky noises, some of which sound like a little girl's voice (didn't they hear the girl's voice through a radio?).Yes, it's definitely a separate loop, and not bleed from the upstairs audio. You can also hear the "monster" dragging his chains.

AVP

CaliforniaCrazy
05-01-2004, 07:12 PM
I noticed that in the boiler room, there is a couple of magazine of Popular Mechanics on a bench. I believe this is a reference to the episode written by Ray Bradbury, "I Sing the Body Electric". In the episode, a little boy shows his father an ad for a company for robot grandmothers, which is in Popular Mechanics.

Mr. Fusion
05-01-2004, 10:03 PM
It's a letter that has the audiotape of his description and is from the episode "A World of His Own", where a writer actually creates the people in his environment by talking into a dictation machine. There are actually two envelopes in the library, but I can't remember the name on the other envelope.

Victoria West, I believe.

davebert4
05-03-2004, 08:35 AM
On the bookshelves of both libraries are books (scripts?) with the titles of various episodes on them. I'm going to try to get a list next time I go - I know "To Serve Man" is one of them. I don't know if these are supposed to count individually, or as a group.

AVP
"To serve man, It's a cook book!" At least thats what it was in the episode, I haven't seen TOT yet.

AVP
05-03-2004, 08:39 AM
We went on the ride a few times this weekend, and I was able to confirm some of the items, and find a few more. The envelope in the right library is addressed to Victoria West, but there's ANOTHER envelope in the same room addressed to Rod Serling. It's tucked into the "scripts" on the bookcase - a CM pointed it out to me.

Gabriel's Horn is in the right library - I've only been in the left once, so I don't know if it's in there too. There are 32 scripts in the right library - the CM said the scripts in the left library have different titles.

AVP

HollywoodTower
05-03-2004, 11:39 AM
I have two for now

1. A trumpet in both libraries from the episode " Passage for Trumpet"

2. Door with the number 22 on it in front of the out of order elevater doors in the lobby from the episode "22"

olegc
05-03-2004, 03:41 PM
I found this episode list site that may help with some descriptions and synopsis.....
http://www.tvtome.com/TwilightZone/eplist.html

There are a TON of sites our there, but I liked this one..

Ghoulish Delight
05-03-2004, 04:00 PM
We went on the ride a few times this weekend, and I was able to confirm some of the items, and find a few more. The envelope in the right library is addressed to Victoria West, but there's ANOTHER envelope in the same room addressed to Rod Serling. It's tucked into the "scripts" on the bookcase - a CM pointed it out to me.
Each library has the 2 envelopes, but they are located in differnet spots (the Rod Serling one in the right library being the hardest to find).

cstephens
05-03-2004, 05:01 PM
OK, here's something I saw yesterday that maybe someone else can confirm. The details are a bit sketchy, so apologies for that. When you leave the right library, you enter a hallway that then becomes the line to get to the service elevator. In that hallway, there are some glass display cabinets on the walls, and in one section are posted what look like little notes, like the kind that employees would post. One of the notes (can't remember exactly where it is, but I know it would be towards the bottom of the cabinet) says something about looking for a stopwatch with a broken case. I'm thinking it could be a reference to the episode "A Kind of a Stopwatch" (http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet/GuidePageServlet/showid-237/epid-12709/). If anyone thinks to check that, that would be great. Thanks.

Ghoulish Delight
05-03-2004, 05:12 PM
As you exit the right-side library, there is a message board with lots of little notes. I haven't read all of them, but I saw one of a guest complaining about having lost a watch that is broken (a reference to the same watch that is in the glass case in before the library.Ahem....do I have my invisibility cloak on again? :P

cstephens
05-03-2004, 05:17 PM
Ahem....do I have my invisibility cloak on again? :P

Oh, ummm, ooops. :insert appropriate sheepish smilie here:

So maybe I count as the confirmation to your observation?

Ghoulish Delight
05-03-2004, 06:22 PM
Oh, ummm, ooops. :insert appropriate sheepish smilie here:

So maybe I count as the confirmation to your observation?So it seems. :fez:

One of these days I'll hang out there and read all those notes (the glass on the case is aged and dirty, so it's a chellenge to read 'em).

Big Dog
05-03-2004, 07:28 PM
http://www.tvtome.com/TwilightZone/eplist.html

There are a TON of sites our there, but I liked this one..

Do you know of any sites with pictures from the episodes? I use to be really into the series but I never carred about the names of the episodes. If I could see a picture from the episode it would "spark" my memory and I could place some of the artifacts.

I heard from someone that there are 150 artifacts from the show. Does anyone know if these are replicas or stuff actuall used in the show?

One of the re-ocurring artifacts that I see are room keys. Does anyone know if these are from the show or just abiance? In the right library is key 201 which seems very familiar to me.

crinklebat
05-03-2004, 11:16 PM
http://www.thetzsite.com/

It used to have incredibly detailed photographic records of each episode, but it looks like those have been taken down (unfortunately...they were wonderful). However, if you're one to have your memory jogged by incredibly detailed synopses, this site'll help you with titles.

#1POOHLOVER
05-04-2004, 09:44 PM
Hi All, I have rode TOT 10 times now and absolutely love it. I was never a Twlight fan per se but what about the coat on the desk where you would check in and also the newspaper on the chair in the area before you go into the library??? There is also a needlepoint project there. Are those some of the 93 that we are looking for??? Also how many hidden Mickeys did everyone find so far?? We have found 6. 3 in the film, 1 in the boiler room and 1 by the left downstairs entrance to the elavtor.

#1POOHLOVER
05-04-2004, 09:48 PM
Also on top of the books in the library is a silver bent up
cigarette lighter??? What do ya think???

AVP
05-09-2004, 06:26 PM
OK, I've updated the list with the new items you posted and confirmed. I also had a chance to interview Micheal Sprout, the senior Imagineer responsible for the ride, and asked him how the 93 items were counted. (Case in point - are the 64 scripts distinct items, or one. Are the duplicate envelopes and trumpets, etc, in each library to count as unique items?)

The bad news - he doesn't know. The worse news - he said there are WAY more than 93. He didn't know an exact number, but he thought there were over 150. But the WDI publicist has offered to contact the ride's art director, and try to get some further direction.

The cigarette lighter *might* be from "Nightmare at 20,000 Feet," where the William Shatner character (Mr. Robert Wilson) smoked his way through the episode.

AVP