PDA

View Full Version : Tower is open today, 4/29ff

Pages : [1] 2 3

AVP
04-29-2004, 11:23 AM
The Tower of Terror is soft-open right now. The park closes at 6.

AVP

Jason Reynolds
04-29-2004, 02:07 PM
With this occurance, would you presume this would extend into the weekend?

Ghoulish Delight
04-29-2004, 02:28 PM
With this occurance, would you presume this would extend into the weekend?You never know. Soft openings are always tentative and subject to change. They can never be counted on.

happyhaunts999
04-29-2004, 02:32 PM
crap 2 more weeks until i'm there. I can't wait now, it's open it's really open. So sweet.

Cadaverous Pallor
04-29-2004, 02:51 PM
You never know. Soft openings are always tentative and subject to change. They can never be counted on.And, just for everyone's info, they usually don't do fastpass for soft open.

Disneykid
04-29-2004, 03:12 PM
Well that just sucks!! I was there Tuesday and Wednesday and drove back to AZ last night! Talk about timing.... :rolleyes:

AVP
04-29-2004, 07:15 PM
OK, just got back from the park - and a few more rides on Tower. The longest line was 30-minutes, the shortest was a walk-on into the library, and 5 minutes in the boiler room.

They WERE handing out FastPasses today. And the Bellhop Band was out, which was a treat - they are awesome.

The ride is fully staffed for tomorrow, so I would expect another soft open.

AVP

DisneyFan25863
04-29-2004, 07:38 PM
I rode it for my first time today....WOW! I was just hoping to get a good picture, and I walk in to see its open! What a treat!

DisneyDaniel
04-30-2004, 03:42 AM
If someone happens to visit Disney's California Adventure today on Friday, April 30, would you report back if Tower Of Terror is available to ride as a soft open? I will be there anyway this evening, regardless. Thank you!

By the way, while I was driving through Northern California last weekend for vacation, I saw about half a dozen Tower of Terror billboards along freeways, downtown streets and city streets.

ToursbabeC3po
04-30-2004, 07:58 AM
Just so you all know the ride is fully staffed until it opens May 5th. The only reason it would not be open to the public is private parties, press events, or tech. problems. Like AVP said all availability of Attractions at Disneyland are subject to change. Even more so with a soft opening. So please don't sneeze wrong on the ride and loosen a nail :D
I am sure DOSH is all over that ride!
Thanks!
(((((((((((((Hugs))))))))))))
Toursbabe

CoasterMatt
04-30-2004, 08:35 AM
I am sure DOSH is all over that ride!

Actually, they've been all over the ride, and turned it over to Disney for operations. No more or less scrutiny than any other attraction.

Kevy Baby
04-30-2004, 09:19 AM
Has anybody noticed any operational problems thus far with ToT? I have been fortunate enough to be at two different previews (including last night's private party) and have not seen nor heard of any problems - not a single shut-down or interruption that I know of.

I would not be surprised if there was one - its a new ride (even if they already hae one in FL). I guess I have been more surprised to not hear of one :)

AVP
04-30-2004, 09:31 AM
Kevy, the only recurring problem I have heard of is with shaft three - it seems to be the one that breaks down most often.

AVP

Ponine
04-30-2004, 09:40 AM
I dont know WHAT the problem was, but the Wednesday AP previews, we got all the way into the boiler room and I waited to 35 minutes before we were able to board.
There were people who said they had been there for an hour, they were on the ground floor.
When the finally did start loading, they loaded the elevator on the far right first.

But.. we were delayed

dude
04-30-2004, 09:45 AM
I went to the Wed. AP previews with a 4-5 pm ticket and I walked right on. The only wait I had was waiting for the elevator to unload.

innerSpaceman
04-30-2004, 09:46 AM
So does anyone know if soft opening is continuing today, April 30?

I would never have been able to make it yesterday by 6pm, but can try for somewhat later hours tonight - - if it's worth my while to attempt the trek from L.A. to Orange County with the random truck protest blockage of various freeways!

HBTiggerFan
04-30-2004, 10:03 AM
iSm, it is supposed to be soft opened tonight. So come on down!!!!!!!!!!!!

As for problems, at the AP preview on Monday we were in line for the downstairs shaft on the left and it broke down. Then we had to go to the shaft on the right, and it broke down. THEN we finally got to the middle, where it took an insanely long time for the ride to take place.

I hope this isn't a sign of thigns to come.

cstephens
04-30-2004, 10:07 AM
Has anybody noticed any operational problems thus far with ToT?

One of the times we went on the ride during the April 23 event, we were loaded into the elevator and then sat there for about 5 or 10 minutes before the ride started. It was funny to watch the CM try to stall while staying in character the whole time. Don't know what caused the delay.

dude
04-30-2004, 10:19 AM
When I was on the Apr. 18 cast preview, the very first time we went on, the CM was about to start the ride, but then he didn't. Then a female voice came on a PA system and it said "Thank you for throwing things. Someone will meet you when you exit." Everyone in our elevator was just thinking "Whaaa? We didn't do anything!" The CM said it was the other vehicle and we didn't have to worry. The ride then went off without a hitch.

Other than that, I saw the top elevator on shaft 1 closed that day for a while (that was the car something was thrown out of) but it opened later on. Those are the only problems I have seen.

innerSpaceman
04-30-2004, 11:01 AM
For those with short memories, or those who simply haven't been alive long enough to remember the last time a major E-Ticket opened, I want to remind you all that Indiana Jones and Splash Mountain each had about a year of serious bugs and constant break-downs when they premiered.

AVP
04-30-2004, 11:08 AM
For those with short memories, or those who simply haven't been alive long enough to remember the last time a major E-Ticket opened, I want to remind you all that Indiana Jones and Splash Mountain each had about a year of serious bugs and constant break-downs when they premiered.And 10 years later, Indy still has serious bugs and constant break-downs. Ain't progress grand? :rolleyes:

AVP

ThemeParkOne
04-30-2004, 01:57 PM
For those with short memories, or those who simply haven't been alive long enough to remember the last time a major E-Ticket opened, I want to remind you all that Indiana Jones and Splash Mountain each had about a year of serious bugs and constant break-downs when they premiered.

And let's not forget our friend, Pooh... where the entire opening team
bailed back to their original attractions in less than two months.
:D

dingdong2U
04-30-2004, 01:57 PM
But, isn't Indy supposed to have bugs in it (in the bug room at least when it's working...)??? ;)

DCAWhites
04-30-2004, 01:59 PM
Has anybody noticed any operational problems thus far with ToT? I have been fortunate enough to be at two different previews (including last night's private party) and have not seen nor heard of any problems - not a single shut-down or interruption that I know of.

I would not be surprised if there was one - its a new ride (even if they already hae one in FL). I guess I have been more surprised to not hear of one :)

The nice thing about tower of terror here at DCA is that all 3 shafts are supposedly independent ride systems. So if one shaft breaks down, that usually means that they can run the other 2 with no problems. I'm sure there are certain breakdowns that will affect the entire attraction (power outages, lightening, etc), but disney has touted that for the most part a problem in one shaft will not affect the other. So if one shaft breakdown, the ride will still get a capacity of around 1000 pph by using the remaining shafts. And also, if something like a code v happens in the car, they can keep it in the load/unload area until its cleaned up, reducing capacity very minimally because they can still operate the other car in that shaft as well as other shafts. I'm not sure how florida's tower operates but I would think it would shut down an entire loading area from being used.

The worst breakdown I have seen happen at tower of terror was during cast member previews, two elevator shafts went down at the same time by chance and we were in the boiler room right where you get sent to the elevators and we didn't move for about 25 minutes while they brought people from shafts that had just broken to the lone operating shaft. We decided to leave. And sometimes seatbelts will malfunction (no, not during the ride, but when loading), rendering that seat unusable.

SoCalDisneyLover
04-30-2004, 02:27 PM
And sometimes seatbelts will malfunction (no, not during the ride, but when loading), rendering that seat unusable.

Perhaps you should explain that, for those of us who stopped reading after the first 5 Words.