PDA

View Full Version : How Safe is The Matterhorn Structure?

awinner
10-24-2001, 10:54 AM
I have heard from some reliable sources that the Matterhorn Structure is really not that safe...all of the refurbishments that go on with it, is that they are always reinforcing the structure. I have heard that some CM's would not put there family on it. True...I know they are in the process of putting some new bobsleds, and the recently finished painting part of the ride. I will continue to ride it, as it is one of my favorite rides in the park. I just want to know if anyone else can confirm this or has a comment about it.

JRob2k1
10-24-2001, 11:45 AM
I've also heard these stories of how CM's or Imagineer's wont let their familes ride on it because its unsafe. I personaly dont think it's that bad because Disneyland would never let that happen....I mean thats a PR disaster if people got hurt and Disney knew about it the whole time.

My guess is that the structure is getting weak, but not to the point where it's "un-safe." And thats why its been going through major re-habs. Think about how many times the Matterhorn has been down the last year even, twice I believe? IMO, they are slowly upgrading the structure and bringing it up to todays codes and standards!

-JRob

MammaSilva
10-24-2001, 12:13 PM
it's my understanding that Disney is aware of the age problem at the Matterhorn and is slowly 'upgrading' the infastructure but I have no solid "proof" of that.. I was also led to believe that they are improving/revamping the emergency evac situations to be more accomodating for special needs guests... but no proof on that rumor either....

as far as it being so unsafe as to not let their familys ride on it....how would a castmember or imagineer actually "know" how unsafe it is.. unless they have a degree in engineering or have some very solid information from an engineer.. I have to say that it sounds more like another "urban legend" situation...but that's just MHO

dot
10-24-2001, 01:42 PM
You can rest assured that the Matterhorn Structure is very safe. I happen to know someone that has worked on several of the rehabs and they are replacing all of the origional matterial with steel and is actually now one of the safest sturctures out there. My children ride it all of the time and I feel very good about letting them do that. Remember that the State of California has very strict codes on ride structures that must be met!

Lost Boy
10-24-2001, 06:38 PM
The Ride is structuraly sound for its age. It is being refrubished in a long process because of the work that has to be done.

Over the years, because of it's incredible wieght, the Matterhorn has sunk about three inches deep. There is realy nothing they can do about it. It is just so heavy. 3 inches in all those years is not that much.

Over at Tokyo Disneyland, which is built on reclaimed land in the bay and very subject to earthquakes, the Imagineers came up with quite a method to protect the Castle. It is on hydraulic lifts that are positioned a key location around the base. They are individually controled and are monitored constantly. A computer adjusts them so that the Castle is always level no matter what.

Too bad they didn't have that technology back when the built the Matterhorn.