PDA

View Full Version : Bees close the DL railroad.

MotorBoat Cruiser
04-28-2004, 08:12 AM
On Monday, we were hoping to catch the train to the other side of the park. When we noticed the station was closed, we asked a cast member what the reason was. We were told that it was closed due to a problem with bees and would be down for quite a while, most likely.

I'm just wondering, does this happen frequently? I'd never heard of it before and neither had another cast member that I spoke with. Are bees becoming more of a problem in the park?

The reason I am asking is because I was driving down a street near my house the other day, when all of the sudden, a bunch of stuff hit my windshield at the same time. It sounded like a sudden rainstorm, with very big drops of rain, except my windows didn't get wet. Upon closer inspection, I noticed a bunch of fragments of bees all over my windshield and hood. I must have driven through a swarm of them.

The next day, one of my friends told me of a similar encounter. Then, after hearing about the DLRR on Monday, I'm just wondering if anyone else has noticed anything, either in the park, or otherwise.

sediment
04-28-2004, 08:25 AM
It is likely a random event. We had a swarm in the backyard a few years ago. Can't do anything while they're swarming. You have to wait until they settle.

scaeagles
04-28-2004, 08:37 AM
Just curious - do you guys in CA have those Africanized killer bees? We've got them here in Phoenix and they are nasty, nasty creatures. Nothing to mess with, for sure. That would be truly difficult for DL to deal with, I'm sure.

dsnyredhead
04-28-2004, 08:42 AM
Augh! I hate bees. I've always been frightened of them. Since I'm a redhead, they seem to be attracted to the color...which is now a concern for my redheaded child. :eek:

nightdesigns
04-28-2004, 08:46 AM
Actually here in OC it's quite common, especially if you use the eastern toll roads a lot. I've had it happen a good 4-5 times in the past couple of years. Most often happens in the evening hours when they're headed back home.

cemeinke
04-28-2004, 08:58 AM
I'm just wondering if anyone else has noticed anything, either in the park, or otherwise.
Seen Autopia closed due to Bees before:
http://www.linkline.com/personal/cemeinke/img/BeeMan%20in%20Autopia.jpg
:fez:

Forbin
04-28-2004, 09:00 AM
Once saw them on Main Street...they couldn't close it down so I guess someone got stung a whole lot while transferring them to a container.

ChipmunkStar
04-28-2004, 11:16 AM
Screamin' has been closed quite a few times for the same reason. Recently there was a hive found in one of Sleeping Beauty Castle's towers as well (there's still some paper stuffing in the window to keep them out last I saw...)

scaeagles
04-28-2004, 12:40 PM
Anyone know anything about pest control at DL? Have they ever considered some sort of ultrasonic system to repel them? That may have more of a broad reaching effect than they want, but swarms of bees at DL isn't good for anyone (except maybe the flowers).

Ghoulish Delight
04-28-2004, 12:46 PM
Anyone know anything about pest control at DL? Have they ever considered some sort of ultrasonic system to repel them? That may have more of a broad reaching effect than they want, but swarms of bees at DL isn't good for anyone (except maybe the flowers).You ever been stung there? I've always loved Disney's mostly hands off approach to wildlife at the park. They dealt with the rodent problem by bringing in cats and letting them live there feril. They birds obviously have free run. And they do a good job of controlling the bees when they need to. As you can see in cemeinke's picture, they are well equipt to deal with bees when they show up.

scaeagles
04-28-2004, 12:52 PM
Actually, no. In fact, with the exception of a flower or two, I have rarely seen a bee at DL, and certainly not a swarm. This is why I earlier inquired as to if you are getting the Africanized killer bees that made it into the Phoenix area a couple of years ago. They are aweful, and would cause MAJOR problems at DL. Very territorial, and attack in swarms if they feel their home is being infringed upon.

Ghoulish Delight
04-28-2004, 12:54 PM
They have yet to be an issue in SoCal. I think the San Diego area had a small problem with them a little while back, but it's been very limited here.

mamabot
04-28-2004, 01:00 PM
You ever been stung there?

Actually, I have been stung at DL. April 1991. I noticed when I was on POTC, so I had to wait a while to get to First Aid. Not fun to get stung by a bee, much less at DL.

Ghoulish Delight
04-28-2004, 01:01 PM
Actually, I have been stung at DL. April 1991. I noticed when I was on POTC, so I had to wait a while to get to First Aid. Not fun to get stung by a bee, much less at DL.Oh, no doubt it happens. But I'd personally rather risk being stung then have them turn Disneyland into some sterile lifeless bugfree zone. They do a good job of keeping the risk to a minimum without eradicating everything in sight.

mamabot
04-28-2004, 01:15 PM
Oh, no doubt it happens. But I'd personally rather risk being stung then have them turn Disneyland into some sterile lifeless bugfree zone. They do a good job of keeping the risk to a minimum without eradicating everything in sight.

I agree with you. The gardeners always do a great job of keeping the flowers looking good. Flowers need the bees, the bees need the flowers. I am glad to know that DL is concerned enough to put the DLRR 101 until the bees are gone instead of having people ride through the swarm.

Ohana33
04-28-2004, 01:43 PM
last summer, we almost closed GRR because of bees. there was a beehive near the extended queue and we couldnt get rid of it because of the guests. plus, kids were throwing things at it. we ended up just closing off that section and rerouted guests