PDA

View Full Version : Disney Mail

Pages : [1] 2

Mr D
10-24-2001, 05:17 AM
I would again like to be my proactive self and reccomend to all those needing to send or recieve correspondence to Disney (ALL of Disney) to try and use alternative services such as FedEX, E-Mail, FAX and be understanding that the possibility may arise of disruptions across the US of the USPS, if you are waiting for tickets or passes from Disney I would think its prudent to call them and request they send these other than by the USPS, I know right now I am waiting for an item I just bough 12 days ago from back east and its being delayed possibly because it is in quarantine at a mail distribution office, pull your heads out of the sand folks and shake that pixie dust out and think ahead folks.

Ace
10-24-2001, 06:52 PM
well folks I don't think the post office is worrying about packages from Disney, so move along, move along

Mr D
10-24-2001, 07:23 PM
What about someone or parties sending "letters" or packages to Disney? This actually happened right down the street from my work today in Wasilla, Alaska a new Sears store recieved a package from Pakistan (new store stocking up for grand opening) and when it was opened up powder came out, its being analyzed by the proper athorities right now, you can check on the status of that at KTUU Newschannel 2 Anchorage (http://www.ktuu.com) it may or may not be there but I did hear it on the local radio.

Nigel2
10-24-2001, 10:40 PM
You are way to paranoid man, this is like his 3rd thread about dangers of anthrax, if there is a big dissaster I would rather check out with everyone else than stay huddled in my house for the rest of my life. (on a side note) Also since you feel that in times of war laws are silent, what about the Geneva Convention?;) Just relax, drink some tea, coffee, alchohol, whater and do something that will calm you down.

Ralph Wiggum
10-25-2001, 11:41 AM
ITs okay to be cautious but when it totally disrupts your life then your letting whoever is behind this anthrax scare win.

Bill Catherall
10-25-2001, 12:22 PM
Mr D - So much for living "in the land of the free" (as your location states). You're scaring yourself into your own little prison.

Ace
10-25-2001, 04:33 PM
chill out........its not even a thing. ansmax, anthrax, ann jax, batman, what ever...

Nigel2
10-25-2001, 10:18 PM
Yeah batman! But anyway, I think this guy is just trying to get everyone paranoid, plus its not like Alaska is some super target for terrorists when compared to places like DC, CA, and NY.

mrcoffee
10-26-2001, 05:01 PM
He's been posting some of the same type of message in the DisneyWorld group. (He was concerning about the McD's at Downtown Disney at WDW.. )

I guess some people just want to live their life in terror.

Thomas

Largent81
10-26-2001, 05:45 PM
Don't you guys think you are being a little harsh? All his first message was saying was that usps will be slow for awhile. This is true. Do you really have to act like grade schoolers and gang up on him. Next thing you will all be chanting "scardy cat scardy cat" . Geez.....

AVP
10-26-2001, 07:13 PM
While I hardly consider myself to be a reactionary scare monger, Mr. D has made some valid points. All mail delivery is going to be affected by this - it's life, learn to adjust.

Want some examples? USPS Priority Mail from California to Texas is taking 10 Days to be delievered in some cases. Many packages over 16 ounces are considered "Target Mail", and in some cases has to be stored for 48 hours in a postal distribution center before it can be processed.

Lands End just held a two day meeting to discuss security measures in the packaging and mailing centers. They have discontinued the use of corn starch in the catalogues, used to prevent the pages from sticking together, because of consumer fears.

The Direct Mail association has suggested that its members find a way to identify gift packages, so recipients are not afraid to open them. MouseShoppe will be using a "To: From:" label on all gift shipments, and we're suggesting that our customers let the recipient know they should expect a package from us.

Living in fear? Heck no. But living in reality, yes.

AVP

Nigel2
10-26-2001, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by Largent81
Don't you guys think you are being a little harsh? All his first message was saying was that usps will be slow for awhile. This is true. Do you really have to act like grade schoolers and gang up on him. Next thing you will all be chanting "scardy cat scardy cat" . Geez.....

Not at all, he has had like 4 or 5 threads about paranoia on Anthrax, it wouldn't surprise me if he was one of the people selling various "protection items" for anthrax like they are doing at the homeshows now, I mean honestly one of the items they have for mail looks like something that Homer Simpson used in an episode once. It seems to me that a whole lot of people are thinking they are alot more important than they really are by having fears that some bad person is going to send them Anthrax.

Largent81
10-27-2001, 12:48 AM
So, he's paranoid. But must you still be so rude? Have you ever been afraid of something? It only makes it worse when people mock you and make rude comments. Trust me.

In my opinion, this anthrax thing seems to be out of control. However, it is quite understandable why people are paranoid with the media the way it is.

There is still no excuse for rudeness.

Nigel2
10-27-2001, 12:59 AM
But it is even more inapropriate when one is trying to plant the seeds of fear into everyone else. Plus as it has been said before he is taking it to far, it was ok with one thread when he asked about people geting flu like symptoms at WDW since there might actually be a flu bug going round since there are so many guests (anthrax isn't contageous btw) but then he starts to drift into every aspect of life, he even said "Beware of McDonalds" and it wasn't for the food.:). And yes I have been scared before but I don't try to drag others into my paranoia.

Largent81
10-27-2001, 01:06 AM
Gee, if you know what he's going to write about, then don't read his post! (Just as I am going to do to this thread since you are irritating me!) Have decency. Say you don't agree. But you don't have to act so childish. DON'T READ HIS POST! You already know what he's going to write. SO avoid him. Wouldn't you feel better if you didn't know about it? Or are you one of those who gets joy from hurting others?

Mr D
10-27-2001, 01:42 AM
Problem is folks I really am trying to scare you into facing reality, we have for the first time in American history a scale of events that are too farflung and horrible to accept by most of us. We have sheltered lives and we think that all this is fantasy and sci-fi, but those that think this is paranoia should really evaluate that concept, if we do not heed even a miniscule amount of that concept of thinking then we are walking around in a daze and highly prone to be involved when these type of events actually concur. Now here is a fact from our government, did anyone know that the FBI, CIA overtly requested Hollywood scriptwriters to map out scenarios of the most absurd,looney,crazy and just plain weird because our government agencies had no premade profiling for these terrorists and their actions on 9/11, and they still do not. Even right now look at the news, the Supreme Court, CIA offices hit with Anthrax. We are NOT ahead of thes terrorists because we do not think like them, they will do WHATEVER they can to destroy, they will do what we least expect, where we are not looking, and in ways we think are inplausible and incomprehensible, its because we just think in terms of normalcy, and they do not. We need to be a little paranoid.

Mr D
10-27-2001, 01:53 AM
Oh and BTW if I had possibly had written a discussion thread at a postal employees discussion site about those having flu like symptons would that also put me in the crying about nothing class as well? Explain that it was idiotic to question somebody about that to the families of the two postal workers that died recently, they had flu like symptons were seen by their doctor, sent home and they expired tragically. I am sorry if I offend those stuck in their secure little world but unfortunately it isn't so secure right now and I am very happy with myself of what I say when I say it and how I say it because I have experienced death close to me personally in tragic events and it has tempered my position in life much like when steel has been heated and quenched, it makes it stronger but sometimes more brittle. What I mean is I have in my daily life a company that requires my leadership and foresight, with at times my actions being questioned and right now I am thinking ahead of "what if" do you?

tabacco
10-27-2001, 01:59 AM
what can I say but "pffffft?"

USofA
10-27-2001, 02:42 AM
tabacco, i call that "pfffffffft" and raise it one "rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr"

EandCDad
10-27-2001, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by Mr D
Problem is folks I really am trying to scare you into facing reality, we have for the first time in American history a scale of events that are too farflung and horrible to accept by most of us.

uhhh, American Revolution, War of 1812, Civil War, WWI, WWII, etc. etc. etc.

Most people have said that they should be cautious and aware. I believe that is a reasonable response. I think Mr. D's "get your head out of the sand" attitude is encouraging the rudeness from some. I heard the same crap before Y2K when if I didn't move to the hinterlands with a generator and three year supply of granola bars and kugarands then I was some sort of stooge.

Currently there are three (I think) known fatalities from anthrax (the two postal workers and the original guy from Florida), more have been infected (with some some released from the hospital already) and still more have been exposed but have not (yet) become infected. This is a terrible thing that has happened to our country and I think all Americans should be more aware about their mail and "suspicious" envelopes and packages for the near future.

However, our wonderful American tabacco companies likely kill more terriorists from lung cancer weekly. We kill ourselves with lung cancer, heart disease, car accidents, murder at a greater rate hourly than all the people effected by anthrax so far. I don't think it is impossible that this thing could spread (or intensify), but I'm not going to freak out and try to freak out others in the name of "information."

Nigel2
10-27-2001, 11:19 PM
See I wouldn't read his posts if I didn't need a good laugh and a need to fire off a rant, but if you are too scared to open your mail go ahead, (that would be a good excuse to not pay your bills :) ). Its one thing to ask postal workers in a major metro area about their health, but when you think terrorists are going to attack some podunk town that has an average shoe size larger than the population you really need to come out of the bomb shelter and get a grip on reality. Yes there is a threat of Anthrax out there, but has any been sent to the home of some random person with no major status? Now if Mr. D was the Govoner, Senator of Alaska, or held some high position on a military instalation then he could have reason to be concerend. Plus those postal workers probably had bad insurance to begin with and their Physicians probably didn't know they were postal workers, and if they had caught it before the big scare occured then they too would have thought it was the flu and just taken their flu meds, plus I never actually heard about them going to doctors, but that might have been an oversight.

Morrigoon
10-27-2001, 11:51 PM
Well, I work for an airline and we've had at least two "white powder" scares that I know of. Both were hoaxes mind you (the most recent being cocaine in the bathroom, how stupid do you have to be to bring an illegal white powder on a PLANE right now?).

Okay, now I'll get to my point:

One of the flight attendants has Kaiser. She called them up trying to get an appointment with her doctor to test for exposure. At first they wouldn't give her an appointment, then they wanted her to come in the next week, then the following Monday, then they said she could come into the emergency rooms, but not to bring in any samples (yeah, like she's walking around with potentially hazardous white powder in her purse, I'm so sure!). Well, her response was this (I love this):

"I'll come to the emergency room then. I will wait one half hour. If I am not helped by then, I will announce to everyone within earshot why I am there."

She got the appointment with her physician :D

Nigel2
10-27-2001, 11:56 PM
Hmmm that actually is really funny, it probably works for anything medical related. The only problem is that Anthrax isn't contageous, but odds are the patients don't know that.:D

Mr D
10-28-2001, 09:23 AM
Just to bring things up to date, yes the postal service has ordered the machines to eradicate ANY known viruses in the mail, also in Florida it has just been reported another mailing of an anthrax letter, now basically this applies to mail to and from WDW since it goes through Florida (duh) and other letters can get cross contamination, also about using a lead lined box, does anybody have an idea how much that would weigh? it would also defeat its purpose to leak the substance out,and it would stick out like a pork sausage at a muslim birthday party. Now on to a possible future scenario in the news, smallpox, and its easily passed on by objects, case in fact the US gave out smallpox infected blankets to indians more than a hundred years ago, these terrorists may use the mail system to do the same. I would actually consider ironing all my mail or put them in an oven on LOW heat for an hour or so to kill any viruses. Sure laugh all you want but look at what everyone is talking about on the news and also what you don't hear about, like the government NOT having enough smallpox vaccine and a company that makes it has seen a 70% increase in its stock recently (ACAM) course I might expect some readers here just poke their heads into the comics on a daily basis instead of really digging out the little things that eventually paint the big picture.

Largent81
10-28-2001, 12:13 PM
Ok, I said I wasn't going to post anymore but, here it goes. Mr. D, after that last post, you have caused me to believe you need help. Try finding a professional to talk to. I am not scared. I still read all my mail, go to large events, and live my everyday life. I see it this way: Either way the world is going to come to an end. Maybe not now, but sometime. Now, if this were that big of a deal, wouldn't you rather go sooner than later? Wouldn't you rather die clueless than die of fear? If you enjoy standing in front of your oven watching your mail be sterilized, that's fine. But would you stop pushing this on people please? I don't want to be "rude", but I'm going to be. I made a fool out of myself defending you. Now please, shutup and get some psychological help!

BTW, how would mail in florida affect you all the way in nowhere alaska?