PDA

View Full Version : Loved Anaheim's Pooh, dislike Anaheim's ToT

Pages : [1] 2 3

iAmJacksDLand
04-27-2004, 09:24 PM
I'm weird, I know. DCA's Tower just isn't what the original tower is... not that it HAS to match up with original or be exactly the same - but the ride is rushed and contains very little of the original story.

And it isn't about the fifth dimension room. DCA's tower did not specifically need a "fifth dimension room" to measure up. It needs something though.

The ride has a lot of plot holes and many problems, and rushing through things to meet capacity needs in this particular tower arrangement was a bad way to go.

I must also ask, why is there a lush, large mirror sitting directly in front of an abandoned service elevator?

However, the lobby and boiler room are stunning. Everything else, except for the actual drop sequence, let me down (and even then, where are all the little teeny tiny effects? The fans, the strobe light... ::sigh::)

But while I would've preferred a Tokyo version of Pooh here in Anaheim, I love Anaheim's Pooh over Florida's! :p

MonorailMan
04-28-2004, 08:11 AM
I must also ask, why is there a lush, large mirror sitting directly in front of an abandoned service elevator?

Remember: Once you start your ride, you drift back into the regular elevators' shaft. Implied by the star effects. (Your not in the Service shaft anymore!)

Also, many hotels have mirrors on the floors where the hallway extends right and left. :) :p

oohykitten
04-28-2004, 09:07 AM
How many show scenes are there, just two right?

dude
04-28-2004, 09:47 AM
There are two show scenes, then the doors open to the outside world.

iAmJacksDLand
04-28-2004, 10:29 AM
But think about the service elevator's shaft, it would have to go right up through where the mirror and the hallway are. It really doesn't make sense at all. Not that things are supposed to make sense in the twilight zone but it causes you to leave the ride feeling disjointed.

SoCalDisneyLover
04-28-2004, 11:26 AM
Haven't you all figured out by now that there is a lot to this ride which is "disjointed?" If they had wanted to make a 100% accurate attraction, they would not have cut corners in an effort to save money.

Face it...for all the people who try hard to make it seem like the DCA Tower is equal to or better than the WDW one, it's rather obvious that it's not all that it could have been, and now it's up to them to figure out how to get around it, and make it as real as possible.

I have no problem with the ride, since it's one more attraction for me to go on, but it's clearly the typical DCA ride, which leaves you asking....why could it have not been so much more?

HBTiggerFan
04-28-2004, 12:23 PM
but it's clearly the typical DCA ride, which leaves you asking....why could it have not been so much more?Have you been on DCAs ToT SCDL?

It is anyting but a typical DCA ride. The typical DCA ride is an off the shelf carnival ride, a movie, a food processing plant that poses as a tour or a carbon copy of a WDW movie.

ToT is a ride that they also have at WDW, but it is not a carbon copy. We have a version that is different than WDWs. Better or worse, it is not a typical DCA ride. It can also be reprogrammed so it never gets stale.

Personally I would consider our version of Pooh more along the lines of a "typical DCA ride" if your defination of typical DCA ride involves cost cutting. with the cheesy cardboard cut outs, the overuseage of blacklights, the lack of story line, the hurried pace, the barely themed queue.

I can't say I would wait 3 hours in the hot sun for this ride, like I did for Splash the summer it opened, but I am also a lot older than I was back then. I would easially wait 2-3 hours for this ride if I was with a group of friends, and it wasn't over 80 outside.

Edited to add: Would a lovely moderator consider putting a spoiler warning in the title since this thread is now contaning spoilers?

Ghoulish Delight
04-28-2004, 12:35 PM
Haven't you all figured out by now that there is a lot to this ride which is "disjointed?" If they had wanted to make a 100% accurate attraction, they would not have cut corners in an effort to save money.Where exactly are the blue prints for the Twilight Zone so we can see how innacurate it is?

I'm sorry, but menutia like exactly where the elevator shaft would go doesn't bug me any more than Walt Disney's own explanation of the "obvious" way to come back to present day after falling down a waterfall in Pirates. "Go up the waterfall?" Huh? And yet that somehow doesn't ruin the experience.

I've haven't ridden the WDW version, but I've talked to many people about it. And the reaction I got was very mixed. A good chunk of the people I've talked to weren't all that impressed with the 5th dimension. Definitely not enough to say that that's what makes or breaks the ride. When we rode the Tower here, there was someone in our elevator who said they had ridden the one at WDW and that she prefers this one.

I went on Pooh and thought it was a pretty enjoyable dark ride. I didn't hate it like some people did, but it certainly didn't knock my socks off. It was mediocre. ToT knocked my socks off. I loved it. It may differ slightly from the original (and much of that fact has less to do with budget and more to do with space limitations), but the essence of the attraction is the same. Unlike the differences between our Pooh and Tokyo's Pooh. After seeing the video for Tokyo's Pooh, our Pooh is a COMPLETE disappointment.

Pedro2NR
04-28-2004, 12:48 PM
I loved the ToT in DCA. I've never been to the one in Florida. In each park there has to be something different for example, the Space Mountains in each park are different and all are enjoyable.

SoCalDisneyLover
04-28-2004, 01:05 PM
I have been on the ride in Florida. It was one of my favorite rides in all the parks there, when I went about 4 years ago. I was very excited when I heard they were bringing it here.

I will admit that it is not quite as bland as some of the other DCA attractions, but it is still IMO a watered down version. It has been so analyzed by now, that I'm beginning to see where things got done, which make the ride just a little less than it could have been.

The most glaring comparison to WDW is simply the time itself. I'm not going to sit here and justify whether DCA's version packs in more during it's time than WDW does...but at 2:15 compared to 3:15 in Florida, it's rather obvious. Sure it's a fun ride. Sure it has some cool special effects. Sure it is a thrill with the multiple drops. But it definitely leaves you wanting more, and although some may say..."what's wrong with that?"...I think they should have expanded upon what was done at WDW, not shrunk it.

innerSpaceman
04-28-2004, 01:50 PM
I shouldn't post, since I have yet to ride either of the world's ToTs, but since when has lack of direct experience stopped me from expressing my unwanted opinion?

I don't know if the the vaunted Fifth Dimension room is all it's been cracked up to be, but it seems to me that if that is the place where guests see the flying doll, the floating E=mc2, and the giant eyeball .... then it is the PRIMARY expression of the Twilight Zone theme in the attraction, and DCA's lack of these particular effects located only in Florida's Fifth Dimension room result in a big negative on the part of the California attraction that is far more telling than the mere fact of a one-minute loss of ride time.

spectromen
04-28-2004, 01:58 PM
That's correct, ISM. 5th Dim Room IS where you see all that stuff.
Some say that said room isn't all it's cracked up to be and that DCA's version doesn't suffer without it. I think the point is that it's a different experience, that is, a variation. The first scene is going up one floor and seeing the ghost family. Then the 5th Dim is a totally different experience where you move forward, physically moving through a scene. At DCA, there's two effects, but they're both in the elevator shaft. That, to me, is where the cheap factor came into play and influenced my preference for WDW's version. Not to mention, the exterior theme and landscape is just sooo superior in Florida. Just an opinion.

oohykitten
04-28-2004, 02:20 PM
Again being a TOT virgin of both coasts stop me if I am wrong. The 5th dim has the icons that say "Twilight Zone" and ours just has a starfield. It's like a Disney park with out Mickey, nothing to show it's iconic nature. Perhaps at a rehab they can throw that in, as you move back into your loading zone. Just to tie the story together.

SoCalDisneyLover
04-28-2004, 02:21 PM
Someone summed it up best a while back. Regardless of whether the DCA version is better or not, it's here. The only way I could go on the WDW version instead, is to fly 3,000 Miles, while the DCA version requires only a 30 Minute drive up Interstate 5. Given that, I will take the DCA Tower any day. It's all we've got.

I'm realistic enough to understand that it came down to $$. If the money had been there, they could have done the added special effects AND the 5th Dimension Room. The reason they didn't do the 5th Dimension Room had less to do with design & spacing, and more to do with budget constraints. Same as with Pooh.

Doesn't anyone realize by now that the "Disneyland Resort" is no longer the crown jewel of the Disney parks. It might be for us, but for Disney, it's a place to patch up with re-treaded, watered down attractions which were big hits in other parks. It would be nice to get something original, unique, awe inspiring, but I guess the DCA Tower is better than nothing. Since I like the ride itself, I'm sure I will go on it lots, but it's about what I expected.

Ghoulish Delight
04-28-2004, 02:27 PM
Again, the reason for the lack of the 5th Dimension was because they didn't have the space to build a building big enough for dual drop shafts. So with everything happening within the one shaft, there was no need to move you through the fifth dimension. Like iSm, I will speak from not enough experience, but as I consider the DCA experience, I think I'd like NOT having the 5th dimension better. The fact that it's all in the one shaft is cool, as far as I'm concerned. And, because there is no movement from one shaft to the other, you are completely unprepared for what is to come. I had NO clue I was about to drop, scared the begeezus out of me. That was awesome. It would seem to me that if your elevator started moving, and then locked into another shaft, it'd be pretty obvious something was about to happen, so that complete surprise on your first ride just wouldn't be there.

Personally, I don't need blatant references to have it feel like the Twilight Zone during the ride. The pre-show and the music is enough for me. Heck, seeing seeing icons from episodes in the middle of the ride sounds kinda cheesy, if you ask me. It's not like on Indy you see scenes from the movies. It's its own experience, its own story. A subtle wink here and there (a la the reference to Indy's fear of snakes, which is a recurring theme in the movies) is one thing. But blatant references to specific scenes? I think that would take me out of it, make me feel like I'm on one big tribute, rather than experiencing the story.

innerSpaceman
04-28-2004, 02:51 PM
Heck, seeing seeing icons from episodes in the middle of the ride sounds kinda cheesy, if you ask me. ... I think that would take me out of it, make me feel like I'm on one big tribute, rather than experiencing the story.
I see your point here, GD. Perhaps it would be a little too much like a tribute. But I can't help the feeling that I would find it extremely cool to physically move through the awesomely iconic opening credits to the Twilight Zone on a ride that is supposed to be, in some manner, an episode of the Twilight Zone.

Since the corruption of Epcot about a decade ago, I have had no desire to go back to Florida. The ToT there opened 4 days after the end of my last visit! But the tantilizing existence of that Florida attraction did not tempt me to make the pilgrimage. The opening of the DCA version has. I've no doubt that I will be back at DisneyWorld within the year.

HBTiggerFan
04-28-2004, 03:07 PM
SoCalDisneyLover,

Perhaps you missed when I asked before. Have you been on the DCA ToT?

Ghoulish Delight
04-28-2004, 03:08 PM
I see your point here, GD. Perhaps it would be a little too much like a tribute. But I can't help the feeling that I would find it extremely cool to physically move through the awesomely iconic opening credits to the Twilight Zone on a ride that is supposed to be, in some manner, an episode of the Twilight Zone.Perhaps if the effect were right at the beginning of the experience, I'd agree. But it apparantly comes in the middle, doesn't make sense to me. I have not idea what the WDW preshow is like, but I think the DCA preshow provides excellent 'opening credits.'

AVP
04-28-2004, 03:15 PM
I've been on both versions, and I far prefer the original incarnation because of the 5th Dimension. It may be because the WDW version was the first one I ever experienced, but I don't feel that the ride is the same without that forward motion.

You can't even look at the ride without understanding that it drops you down an elevator shaft. Everyone boards the WDW version for the first time, thinking they "get" the ride. You get into the elevator, sit down, and are raised to the first show scene. You *think* you're prepared for what's to follow - the elevator should drop, everyone should scream, and it will be over. You *think* you know what to expect.

Then the elevator moves up again. Another show scene. OK, now are we going to drop?

No - now the elevator moves forward through the set. WHAT THE ????? Until this moment, your entire life experience has been that elevators move up and down (or at a diagonal if you've been to Luxor) But they don't move forward.

Your expectations are completely shattered, along with the window you've just watched. Now you don't know what the ride is going to do. And THEN you drop.

To me, the 5th dimension is THE effect of the Tower of Terror. When the car moves forward, it's like you are heading into the Twilight Zone, because machinery has just begun to behave in a manner completely inconsistent with your experience.

The DCA version tosses this effect aside, casually spoiling the surprise within the first few moments of the ride. It's like a remake of Psycho, without the shower scene.

While I enjoy the DCA version, it does NOT have the same effect on me that the WDW one does. I *like* the DCA ride. If I had never been on the original, this would be incredible. Using a chocolate analogy, I *have* tasted the good stuff, and I know the difference. It's hard to go back to Hershey's when you've had Leonidas.

AVP

merlinjones
04-28-2004, 03:30 PM
>>Again, the reason for the lack of the 5th Dimension was because they didn't have the space to build a building big enough for dual drop shafts. <<

Say what? What is that huge open parking lot behind the Tower of Terror? They were just being cheap.

sediment
04-28-2004, 03:41 PM
The WDW version also appears to trick the first-time goer in regards to where you are when you board relative to the shaft, which can be seen from outside.
This forward-moving elevator is something not experienced in the regular world. Only in....The Twilight Zone.

Does the DCA version do this? I'm guessing not.

I think one goal of a ride "with a twist," as one should expect in a Twilight Zone" themed attraction (the show was ALL about twists, and none of that reality show "twist" crap) is to make you think you're somewhere when you are actually somewhere else. Think "Pirates" (underneath NOS) and "Haunted Mansion." (in the haunted mansion front building).
But then, it's at DCA. Nothing twisty about it at all. Even Soarin's queue takes you around the ride. "I'm not going anywhere. I'm not going on a trip around the state. I've been around the confines of the ride."

Question: are the top-and-bottom loads for simultaneous riding -- meaning, are the two elevators hooked together, or are they run separately up the same shaft?

Ghoulish Delight
04-28-2004, 03:49 PM
Question: are the top-and-bottom loads for simultaneous riding -- meaning, are the two elevators hooked together, or are they run separately up the same shaft?Separately, same shaft.

Filbert
04-28-2004, 07:08 PM
Well, all I can say is that in Florida, the hilights of the TOT ARE the lobby and the boiler room. The ride itself is short, but pretty cool. The fifth dimension scene in Florida is really cool, actually amazing with all the special (defects). But from what I've seen from the DCA version on the internet, the lobby is great, and I've read reviews about the boiler room that say it's better than Florida. The drop sounds the same as Florida, well controlled so it doesn't give you a heart attack! The thing that I enjoyed the most in Florida is all the subtle things, lots of props recreated from the original Twilight Zone series, like the dummy from the Cliff Robertson episode and the fortune teller machine from the William Shatner episode and lots more, they're hidden here and there and you really have to look to find them. From what I've seen of the DCA version, they have lots of the same touches, and I love the display case at the end with the dummies of some of the wierdest figures from the original show. So I think with all the budget cuts they've been through, you have to give it to to the WDI designers on this one for fighting the good fight and it's really what you'd expect from Disney (and you're hearing this from Mister Negative himself!)

As far as Pooh in (Critter Country?) is concerned I'm sorry, it's no excuse to tear out one of Disney's greatest attractions! You'll never see anything like it again in DL. And a cheap black-light ride belongs in Fantasyland with the rest of them, not on the edge of the Rivers of America. Someone has it out for all the great old stuff I think. When you look at America Sings being cut-out and the poor little characters being put into SPLASH like so many shadows of their former beings, what a waste! America Sings was one of the ultimate shows ever as far as animated figures goes and a great 20 minute experience my family and I did over and over! Wouldn't you all like to see it again? I sure would, it was great.

But they keep tearing things out don't they? Someday soon Disneyland is going to be just like Six Flags - kind of like DCA. What's happening!?

Look at what they did to Tomorrowland recently, let's see, two great attractions - the PeopleMover and CircleVision, GONE. Mission to Mars GONE. Subs GONE. Carousel of Progress? Gone yeears ago and replaced with what? America Sings! GONE!

What's next? Better yet what's left?

I think as they slash Disney employees they ought to start at the top instead of the bottom - and that goes for WDI as well. But then we know who's in charge don't we!?

Filbert
04-28-2004, 07:19 PM
I've been on both versions, and I far prefer the original incarnation because of the 5th Dimension. I agree with this also, an excellent description! The 5th dimsion effect was great.

Filbert
04-28-2004, 07:25 PM
I'm weird, I know. DCA's Tower just isn't what the original tower is... But while I would've preferred a Tokyo version of Pooh here in Anaheim, I love Anaheim's Pooh over Florida's! :p Okay, so he (or she) loves TOT although says it's not as good as Florida's. He loves Disneyland's Pooh but it's not as good as Tokyo's. So it sounds like desperation to me. Get a life poor thing. Okay, enough out of me tonight!