PDA

View Full Version : Weight Watchers...help?

Pages : [1] 2

blueckles
04-26-2004, 07:07 PM
Hey everyone. I recently joined Weight Watchers, along with a couple of friends who are also Disneyland enthusiasts. Since we go to DL and DCA quite often, I was hoping to gain some insight from other members as to suggestions of places to go or things to get. I've been to both places countless times, and I know what I like, but always find out from someone else of something else to enjoy. Ideally, I would love it if anyone had any items with the points already tallied. :D

PS I already did a search on the message boards and found that the last post of a related topic was over 2 years ago and not very useful. So ANY new information would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks!
:)

happyhaunts999
04-26-2004, 07:51 PM
TIP: Switch to Atkins or South Beach Easier to to be on at the resort. Hope that helps.....

There are alot of healthier alternatives like the salads at pizza port. But to a real meal you would have to dine at places like the blue bayuo in order to not eat garbage dipped in grease. Breakfast is easy because at the plaza you can pick and choose what to eat, but lunch and dinner are harder, less choices.

Not Afraid
04-26-2004, 08:03 PM
I go to the resort almost weekly and have no problems getting healthy, WW-friendly meals.

You can usually alter what you order to fit your specs. For example, at Plaza Inn you can order the Cobb, no cheese, not tossed, dressing on the side with a low fat Italian (or mix a bit of Bleu Cheese with the Italian). Or, Pasta with Marinara, no cheese, less sauce.

Pizza port has some great alterable salads.

You have more control in the restaurants that actually prepare your meal.

You can go along the Atkins line for a day, but I always feel I need more veggies and meat in my diet.

Lani
04-26-2004, 09:54 PM
You can go along the Atkins line for a day, but I always feel I need more veggies and meat in my diet.Unfortunately, Weight Watchers and controlled-carb plans are almost mutually exclusive. About the only overlap is in avoiding processed sugars and corn syrup. [it might explain why WW has been publishing a lot of anti literature about such plans] On top of that, there is absolutely no benefit to doing Atkins or South Beach for a day if you're on WW, since you'll undo the good you're doing on WW, and not get any benefits of lowering your carbs (other than feeling tired).

[NA -- I'm not quite sure what you mean by "need more veggies and meat in my diet," since that's about all you're allowed to eat on Atkins. Confused. But no problem! :) ]

blueckles, I haven't been on WW in 10 years so I can't really help you, but one thing you might consider is bringing some snacks you're allowed to eat. Otherwise, there are some carts that sell fresh fruits and veggies, and that's always a good filling way to eat in the park. Another method, if I recall correctly, is portion control. Consider looking at the kids' meals options. For example, the pasta dish at Plaza Gardens is yummy, but it's way too large for a person on WW. The pasta dish for kids, though, is much smaller and of a realistic portion (and in all honesty, that's about the correct size of one adult serving, but these days most restaurants serve way too much in their dishes). If that's not quite enough, consider getting a side salad with that, and it'll make for a perfect sized meal.

TinkR
04-26-2004, 11:21 PM
Hey Blueckles,

I just came back from Disneyland and as a lifetime WW member I can completely relate to the delima of trying to stay within points without feeling deprived. One of my favorite places to eat is Rancho del Zocalo Restaurante. I get the Chicken Taco salad. I order it w/o the shell and no sour cream. Instead of sour cream they will subsitute tomatoes (salsa) if you ask them to. I figure 8-10 pts for this meal which means that my other meals are low pointers. My mom (also on WW) gets it w/o refried to lower the point level. They are really great about customizing the salad for those on special diets. Another place I like to eat at is the Taste Pilot in DCA. I order the BBQ Sandwich w/ no fries (they knock of $1 if you remind them). I only eat the bottom half of the bun and count it as 4 points. Fruit is everywhere (if you don't mind paying the price) and I don't mind. Many of the resturants offer soup and depending on the type this would be a low point meal. My mom got a great deli turkey sandwich in DCA at the Boudin Bakery and we figured that 1/2 was 6 pts (no mayo) - it had lots of meat and cheese. She said it was really good. We went to the Storyteller Cafe on Saturday and my mom had the honey chicken with fresh fruit (easy 6 pts) and she said it was delicious. I was working with flex pts and had a hamburger and fresh fruit (11 pts). Good Luck!

TTFN

Hakuna Makarla
04-27-2004, 04:37 AM
as a person who lost 40 lbs in less then 2 months ( from March 5th to now)on just portion control and eating fruits and vegi's and of course just to maintain is to eat less, ( portion control) .going for a week will undoubtedly be a struggle for me, but I plan on eating where I can find grilled chicken,pleanty of fruit plates, and just doing my best to portion control all my intake .Have a great time at the park**Karla

tjrj
04-27-2004, 07:05 AM
WW on-line member here. Remember you'll be getting lots of AP's for all that walking too. Most of the fast food type places have a grilled chicken sandwich-you can ask them to put the sauce on the side. Also, for breakfast, you can substitute Egg Beaters type egg substitute for the eggs. Club Buzz-the breakfast place in Tomorrowland that comes with some packages? Has a plate with egg substitute, fresh fruit, ff muffin.

What I've found is the most important thing is portion control. I'm just not going to DL and NOT eat a Mickey pretzel, ok? So, I eat half and share the rest. Or have a couple of bites of cheesecake for dessert-then either leave the rest or share with the family. That's what I love about WW-nothing is "off-limits". It all has to do with portions.

I had a leader mention this kind of neat way of doing WW while on vacation-any type of vacation not just Disney. She called it "her 2/3's rule". Two meals a day OP(on program) making the smartest choices she can; 1 meal a day off program-eating what she wanted(within reason of course!). I tried this during a long weekend away and it worked well. And she doesn't even consider losing weight during vacation-maintainance is the goal. Anything else is just a bonus.

And of course, getting in your F/V, milks and water is critical. I found carrying a water bottle with you at all times works well(have a cute Disney lanyard for the purpose). Getting my milks in can be difficult for me on vacation. Non fat lattes help with that I found! If you have access to a fridge, you might consider some non fat yogurt.

Most importantly-have fun!

04-27-2004, 07:45 AM
That's what I love about WW-nothing is "off-limits". It all has to do with portions.

Exactly! When you return from Disneyland, will you tell us how the food worked out for you?

Not Afraid
04-27-2004, 07:50 AM
Unfortunately, Weight Watchers and controlled-carb plans are almost mutually exclusive.
Not really. It's just that WW gives you a lot more flexability. However, the basic Atkins premise of hamburger, no bun, etc, works quite well for a WW diet on a limited basis. There is a great benefit to following the Atkins premise for a day or sao.....you use less points and you stay on track with your diet. However, Pasta is perfectly acceptable on WW - in small quanities. Everything is OK in smaller quantities, but the challenge is to eat a balanced diet with lots of fruits. veggies and some meat (forget the whole grains - it's never going to happen at DL).

LOYL2DZNY
04-27-2004, 08:11 AM
though most of you won't agree w/me, i would just count on no points at all! it's disneyland and part of the fun of it is eating those wonderful snacks that are all over the park! :) a few days of no points days was never a problem for me to get right back on track after the trip. sometimes you just gotta say, what the h*ll! that's just me, though. good luck to you all who are counting points at the park. i won't be one of them! :)

blueckles
04-27-2004, 08:12 AM
Thank you SO much everyone for your input!! I have gotten a lot of great tips that I will definitely keep in mind for the next time I go back.

On a side note, if anyone has additional Weight Watcher tips and good, low-point snack ideas for everyday/non-disney days, PLEASE send them my way in a personal message.

Thanks again! :D

Lani
04-27-2004, 08:55 AM
Not really. It's just that WW gives you a lot more flexability. However, the basic Atkins premise of hamburger, no bun, etc, works quite well for a WW diet on a limited basis.Ahh, OK, gotcha. You're generally talking about cutting out the starch. Atkins isn't just about cutting out the starch, though, so it didn't make sense that it was OK to do Atkins for a day... a perfect Atkins day would consist of a breakfast of two overeasy eggs and two strips of bacon, a portion-controlled chef salad for lunch with ranch dressing, bacon crumbles, grilled chicken, and cheese, with a dinner of a petite steak and steamed veggies (not including carrots), tossing in snacks of nuts during the day... and I know several of those are not really kosher for WW (cheese, bacon, nuts, creamy dressing).

So not really "Atkins" per se, but just lowering the processed foods intake, and limiting sugars and starches. That certainly works. :)

sediment
04-27-2004, 09:26 AM
You know what you're not supposed to eat. Don't eat it. You can get fruit at ODV carts.
Eat a good breakfast at home, sneak in some healthy snacks (crackers, for example), salad for lunch, fruits (or a frozen fruit pop, if it's warm), etc. Eat when you get home, if only so you know what you're eating, in terms of points.

Hakuna Makarla
04-27-2004, 11:43 AM
though most of you won't agree w/me, i would just count on no points at all! it's disneyland and part of the fun of it is eating those wonderful snacks that are all over the park! :) a few days of no points days was never a problem for me to get right back on track after the trip. sometimes you just gotta say, what the h*ll! that's just me, though. good luck to you all who are counting points at the park. i won't be one of them! :)
your right!! I plan on portion control and enjoy my self! I did not go just for the food, but I darn well am going to eat some good stuff!
Pushing the baby and running all over the place will be my excercize and allow me to eat good with out over doing it. I plan on eating grilled items, but I also plan on having one of those famouse pretzels! And one day while I am there have a goofy buffet! when I come home, I will just get back on track again. :)

LOYL2DZNY
04-27-2004, 01:41 PM
thanks for your support, karlahart! ;)
i will do enough walking (or running) to work off any unwanted calories while i'm there. see you all there! i'll be the one w/ the chocolate dipped waffle cone w/ sprinkles filled w/two fabulous scoops of fantasia ice cream! mmmmmmm! my fave! i get that ice cream everytime i go to disneyland. i usually share it w/my husband and daughter, but i'm sure i could put the whole thing away on my own if they'd let me. :)

David R
04-27-2004, 02:12 PM
I lost close to 100 pounds 4 years ago and have kept it off.

My secret is that I simply watch what I eat and try to be more active. Consumed calories < Burnt calories.

If you are going to Disneyland for a day, go ahead, indulge in one or two good meals, put your diet to the side for that one meal. Maybe get a hamburger instead of a cheesegurger, or eat half the fries. But enjoy your day at Disneyland. It's good for your sanity. Simply be a little more careful with what you eat the day before and a couple days later. Jumping your diet one day is not going to hurt you, it's constantly eating bad that is going to hurt you. And keep in mind that you'll be walking a few miles during your stay. That will help exercise-wise.

I also like to remind friends that everything at Disneyland is fat free. Enjoy your day.

Lani
04-27-2004, 02:30 PM
thanks for your support, karlahart! ;)
i will do enough walking (or running) to work off any unwanted calories while i'm there. see you all there!Do you wear a pedometer when you go walking? You should wear one on your trip so you can see just how far you walk! :)

Hakuna Makarla
04-27-2004, 03:00 PM
Thanks Lani
I plan on doing just that, and am looking for a good one at walmart tomorrow.Also I have this great site I go to every day and I love it!! http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/Index.html
It has everything to help you keep track of weight, loss,excercize,calories,and even shows you charts and graphs you can look back to any time to see how you are doing. I have been on it for over a year and I can still look back to see where I started and where I am at now. I go ewveyday with out fail and chart my weight, what I ate( it figures my calories for me) and also I add my excercize. It tells me if I have had to much carbs, etc. Try it you will like it!
I can not wait to see how much walking I do each day while at he park, and how many calories I will burn doing it.Now I wish I had a lap top to go online each night to log it into fitday.com but I guess I will just have to chart on paper :)
I am so thrilled to be going for the first time I am losing weight just sitting here trying to hold down my excitement!

Hakuna Makarla
04-27-2004, 03:01 PM
By the way dave R I am very proud of you for getting that weight off, good work!! Have a great day all **Karla

LOYL2DZNY
04-27-2004, 03:48 PM
I also like to remind friends that everything at Disneyland is fat free. Enjoy your day.[/QUOTE]

I LOVE THAT! THAT'S THE BEST! :D

LOYL2DZNY
04-27-2004, 03:55 PM
Do you wear a pedometer when you go walking? You should wear one on your trip so you can see just how far you walk! :)

Nope! I refuse to spend my vacation @ DL thinking...worrying about how much excercise i get, or how far i've walked. that isn't why i go there. i go there to escape the realities of the "real world" and be a kid again, with my daughter & husband. isn't that why any of us go for, really?

wood_is_mine
04-27-2004, 03:56 PM
I'm not on Weight Watcher officially, but my Mom and brother have been for a long time so I have the mind set and always think about what I eat. If you want some FATFATFAT dessert, just do what I do. Have it for a meal instead of a snack, It might still be quite a lot of points, but it's yummy, and this way you won't have meal points plus those dessert points. Oh yeah, and bring lots of steamed brocolli (0 points!)

TerryTiger
04-27-2004, 04:12 PM
TIP: ...But to a real meal you would have to dine at places like the Blue Bayou in order to not eat garbage dipped in grease...
Like their famous Monte Cristo? LOL

David R
04-27-2004, 04:16 PM
Thank you karla :) If I can do it, so can you. Enjoy the new you.

Hakuna Makarla
04-27-2004, 04:53 PM
LOYL2DZNY
The pedometer is just for kicks, I just want to see how much walking I will do in a day. Nothing serious, I want to hjave fun and not worry about weight or anything else while I am there.Believe me I plan on letting the outside world pass me by LOL!
My mom and friends want to know about how much walking a first timer does there first time there. It will be kinda interesting and besides, it clicks on my waist, I will not even know its there. :)