PDA

View Full Version : Naples in DTD - any better?

CarlieB
04-26-2004, 02:56 PM
Reading the comments about customer service at Totilla Jo's made me wonder: while Catal & the Uva Bar in DTD have always had good reviews, I remember that Naples hasn't always had the same praise. Has anyone dined there recently? Has it gotten better? And has the new(ish) deli downstairs made a difference? I'd be interested to hear:)

Ghoulish Delight
04-26-2004, 03:05 PM
We visited Naples a few months ago for the first and only time, so I don't have a previous experience to compare to. But I had read the earlier reviews that talked about bad service, and we experienced none of it. The service was fine. The food, however, was only mediocre. Not horrible, but I found it to be very underflavored and uninteresting.

Napolini (the little counter service attached to it), however, is great. I love their panini and calzones, and the prices are reasonable (as DTD prices go).

AVP
04-26-2004, 03:37 PM
I seem to be in the minority here for not loving everything the Patina Group operates. I've had terrible meals and service at all of the Downtown Disney Patina incarnations and the Bowers Museum location. I've not tried the Hollywood Bowl or "stand-alone" locations, and I doubt I will unless I have no say in the planning.

Because my friend adored one particular dish at Naples, I used to eat there about once a month or so. The meal usually ended with my friend asking, "Why do I like this place again?" When seated indoors, you are often SO CLOSE to the table next to you that you are rubbing elbows with your neighbor. At one meal, a gentleman at the table next to us set his glass on OUR table, because they were so close he didn't realize it wasn't his table.

I once had a waiter drop a bottle of balsamic vinegar on me, and his only concern seemed to be if the vineagar was going to stain the napkin I was using to clean myself off with. I have twice now been served a beverage from a glass with a lipstick smear on it. My friend was once charged an extra $4.00 to order an entree without the chicken it usually came with.

Several MousePlanet staffers were at a dinner where we watched a waiter clear a basket of rolls from a nearby table when the party left and take the rolls back into the kitchen. He then put them into a new basket, and served the same rolls to the another table. Before they switched to the new focaccia bread service, we used to watch to make sure our rolls were coming from the bread drawer, and not another table.

I find Naples prices to be far too high for the meal, especially the pizzas. The service is nothing to write home about. They don't seem to keep up with cleaning the restrooms - they usually need attention. And the "musical executive chef" game and frequent menu revisions drives me nuts. Although I should be grateful - during the last revision, the dish my friend loved was discontinued, and he no longer drags me there for his monthly fix.

Napelini, on the other hand, is quite a gem IF you get a crew that knows what they are doing. I've been there six times now, and the crew makes all the difference between a disaster and a fantastic meal. If you can get someone who knows how to warm the panini sandwiches all the way through without burning them, they are incredible. I've had my ham-and-cheese prepared correctly ONCE, and it was just like being back in France.

AVP

Not Afraid
04-26-2004, 07:19 PM
After the dinner that GD was refering to, I sent a letter to The Patina Group letting them know how bad (and cold) the food was and that I expected more out of a restaurant group whose restaurants I normally enjoy. (I posted the letter sonewhere on the Pad.)

I received a call from the VP of Operations about my experience. We talked for quite a while and he told me that he is very aware of the problems at Naples. They have made some changes to fix certain things but more changes need to be made. In addition, there are some pretty significant challenges with the facility set-up. It seems it is not ideal for running an efficiant restaurant. From what he said, they are actively working on their improving all aspects of the restaurant.

I spoke to the VP of Ops again the first time I ate at TJ's. I first spotted him (or heard him) when we were being seated. He was very involved in pointing out operational improvements in the restaurant including making sure the glass in the doors was squeeky clean.

I haven't gone back to Naples since the group meal. I will soon, though. The VP of Ops gave me his phone number and told me to call next time we go. I'm sure we'll get good service that way.

Lekta
04-27-2004, 09:48 AM
Hmm, that's odd. My wife and I have always had a great meal and service at this resturante. Our first time there really stands out to us, as our waiter was VERY good and was and actual Italian, which, for some strange reason, made the food that much better. I can't really explain it, but, we so look forward to going there again in May.

sediment
04-27-2004, 09:58 AM
I haven't gone back to Naples since the group meal. I will soon, though. The VP of Ops gave me his phone number and told me to call next time we go. I'm sure we'll get good service that way.
Don't do that! Don't warn him ahead of time! See if his word about improvements are genuine. And if they're not, let him have it again, and note that you will tell all your friends. (You don't have to tell him where your friends are, though.)

jrad32
04-27-2004, 03:43 PM
I can't understand eating at any of the D-town Disney restaurants. Most are chains (HOB, ESPN, Rainforest Cafe) serving food that is nothing to write home about for more money than it's worth.

My D-town disney food purchases are usually limited to a possible ice cream or candy stop.

Not Afraid
04-27-2004, 04:17 PM
And if they're not, let him have it again, and note that you will tell all your friends. (You don't have to tell him where your friends are, though.)
He already knows.:~D

AVP
04-27-2004, 11:45 PM
The VP of Ops gave me his phone number and told me to call next time we go.After an especially wretched meal at Catal, I wrote a polite but pointed letter to the Patina Group. I received a reply very similar to the one you shared, the business card (with cell phone number) of the OPs manager, and a gift certificate. We were also "encouraged" to call him before our next meal. We decided not to do so, because we didn't want to be treated differently *just* because we had complained once.

We did present the gift certificate when we were seated, as requested, so it was a red flag to the staff anyway. And we had an incredible meal - I wish that ravioli was still on the menu. But the service we received during that one meal was SO different than the service we had on every visit before - and since - that it was patently obvious that we were getting white glove treatment. The tables surrounding us certainly were not getting the same attention.

I guess that's what really annoys me about the Patina restaurants I have experienced. It seems that you get great service if you "know" somebody. John Q. Public walking in off the street has no hope. Our most recent experience at Catal is an object study in this recurring problem. We wanted to try out Tortilla Jo's the night it opened, but they had a 2-hour line. We went over to Catal, and they said they had a 20-minute wait. So we put our names in, and proceeded to wait almost an HOUR for a table.

It seems that the Patina Group had invited a ton of VIPs to Tortilla Jo's that night, and the restaurant couldn't handle the crowd. So the TJ's managers were sending these invited guests to the other two Patina restaurants. We watched as group after group of "Patina Priority" guests were seated ahead of us. (That's the term the Catal manager used for the groups) When we asked why it was taking so long, we were told that their management was requiring them to absorb TJ's overflow. People with reservations were being bumped for these VIPs.

Had we not been waiting to meet friends, we would have walked. As it was, our meal was hurried as the staff desperately tried to turn tables to accomodate the crowds. It's really a shame, because their food is awesome when it's cooked and served correctly. It's just not worth the hassle to eat there.

AVP