PDA

View Full Version : Submarines

Pages : [1] 2

Pirate Girl
04-25-2004, 09:13 PM
Anyone else excited about that little tidbit at the end of this weeks Disneyland Update (http://www.mouseplanet.com/parkupdates/dlr/dlr040426.htm) about the submarines? A Nemo overlay would be extremely cool if they did a good job with it!

sleepyjeff
04-25-2004, 09:44 PM
I wonder if they will leave the Subs Yellow, or go back to the old Grey. Maybe they will paint each one a different color.

Here's to getting my hopes up again :)

Tigertail777
04-25-2004, 10:23 PM
YAY!!! subs! YAY!!! Actually finding Nemo could fit very seamlessly into the original attraction. I am excited at the prospect!

Pirate Girl
04-25-2004, 10:25 PM
I wonder if they will leave the Subs Yellow, or go back to the old Grey. Maybe they will paint each one a different color.

Here's to getting my hopes up again :)

Wow, how long did that post take you? ;)

sleepyjeff
04-25-2004, 10:28 PM
Wow, how long did that post take you? ;)

I think you have a pretty good idea now :)

sleepyjeff
04-25-2004, 11:30 PM
How come only Oregonians seem interested in the prospect of a Nemo/Submarine Voyage?

Must be the Duck in us.....oooops, sorry PG, I mean the Beaver in us.

audibleatom
04-26-2004, 04:52 AM
as much as i hear all the hype and all the possible things to do with the subs i still dont think they will be back in service before the 50th if they are back at all...i love the ride and would love to see it in a finding nemo state but i dont really get excitied about it because deep down inside i know they will just sit for a long time to come... :crying:

CoasterMatt
04-26-2004, 07:18 AM
I know I'll probably get grumbled at for this, but too bad... The LAST thing I want to see in the Sub lagoon is a Nemo-fied sub ride. Whatever happened to Tomorrowland? Whatever happened to IMAGINATION? How about something original? Or have Disney fans become so used to "settling" for less, that anything being opened is ok?

mrs_toad
04-26-2004, 07:30 AM
I know I'll probably get grumbled at for this, but too bad... The LAST thing I want to see in the Sub lagoon is a Nemo-fied sub ride.
I agree...I vote NO on Nemo! :mad: Bring back the subs in the traditional form with an updated twist! The mermaids would be cool too, as has been mentioned before. But maybe the water is too filthy for that.

DigitalLizard
04-26-2004, 09:28 AM
I know I'll probably get grumbled at for this, but too bad... The LAST thing I want to see in the Sub lagoon is a Nemo-fied sub ride. Whatever happened to Tomorrowland? Whatever happened to IMAGINATION? How about something original? Or have Disney fans become so used to "settling" for less, that anything being opened is ok?

I agree CoasterMatt! I'd like to have the original brought back or see something completely new and fresh...

They are attempting to make too many "kiddy" rides out of our older adult type rides... ie: buzz on the people mover/rocket rods track...

Kids have small world, autopia, storybook land, dumbo... etc... they don't need Nemo in a submarine - or buzz on a slow track either!

just my $.02 Don't flame me folks!

:D

dude
04-26-2004, 09:30 AM
I am in CoasterMatt and mrs_toad's camp. I definetly do not want to see a Finding Nemo theme for the subs. Disney should stick with the original idea of the submarine voyage, but they should update the effects to modern standards. And why not keep the yellow submarines? It would be cool to do a throwback to the Gray days though.

Sorry for going off-topic, but for the 50th, they should give all DL CM's the old name tag. The one with red letters and Mickey on it. Or one that's even older, like opening day old.

By the way, I don't think that Buzz attraction will make use of the PeopleMover track. I think it will just be an indoor thing like pooh.

NirvanaMan
04-26-2004, 09:39 AM
I too am with CoasterMatt. What does Nemo have to do with the future???

Nephythys
04-26-2004, 09:44 AM
There are some rumors to the lagoon being made a part of Fantasyland rather than Tomorrowland- so this whole brouhaha over the "future" theming of the subs may be a moot point.

I want the subs back- I don't care if they put in Nemo or not, as long as one of the most beloved attractions of my childhood is returned to me.

mrs_toad
04-26-2004, 09:49 AM
Sorry for going off-topic, but for the 50th, they should give all DL CM's the old name tag. The one with red letters and Mickey on it. Or one that's even older, like opening day old.

I love that idea...they should do a lot of retro stuff for the 50th.

IMHO, the subs should be GRAY, not yellow! :)

dude
04-26-2004, 09:49 AM
Well if nemo comes in, then it won't be the beloved attraction from your childhood, will it? It'll be a new, and probably dumb nemo thing where you get to see bits from the movie instead of mermaids and Atlantis.

DigitalLizard
04-26-2004, 10:03 AM
I too am with CoasterMatt. What does Nemo have to do with the future???

Nothing! The only thing Nemo and Subs have in common is water!

I bet you they have some left over props from something that they decided were taking up too much room in the warehouse! Waterproof em and there you have the morphed Subs ride!

Zigen
04-26-2004, 10:10 AM
I bet kids would love to see Nemo rather than the old crabs, fish and mermaids attraction it was. Disneyland, for the most part, is for the kids (yes, adults can be kids too). If they did a good job with Nemo, i bet all of you would like it too. Sure the old was good, but if they could make something better, why not?

I bet you guys arent complaining about the redo of Space mnt. It's not going to be exactly the same when you were a child. It's going to be better and you and the kids will appreciate it more. Change can be made for the better.

CoasterMatt
04-26-2004, 10:33 AM
I bet you guys arent complaining about the redo of Space mnt. It's not going to be exactly the same when you were a child. It's going to be better and you and the kids will appreciate it more. Change can be made for the better.

The redo of Space Mountain is something that came about out of physical necessity (the original track support structure was not designed for cars as heavy as the most recent set with their added on sound systems). How is Space Mountain going to better? The layout is identical, and I have yet to hear ONE reliable source of any real improvements made to the show effects.
I'd be mad if they added Buzz Lightyear to it.

I wouldn't mind seeing something ENTIRELY different in the sub area, I mean tear every last vestige of the subs out, but replace it with something entirely different. If the area is going to become part of Fantasyland (not that the so called Imagineers even seem to understand what that is anymore), then replace it with something other than a bunch of oversized Happy Meal toys bobbing along in a store display window. They've got SO many other properties that could make for wonderful experiences, without making every land Fantasyland.

sediment
04-26-2004, 10:43 AM
"Pixarowland"?

Along the same lines, Fantasyland will be rethemed as "Miramaxland," accompanied by a R rating. Rides themed to "The Crying Game" "Priest," "Dogma," "Trainspotting," "Pulp Fiction," "Sirens," and "Agnes of God" will be planned, along with a place off to the side of each for "protests": CMs with placards denouncing the rides as guests board them.

04-26-2004, 11:00 AM
Re: Subs, Nemo, and the future

With a Nemo overlay, the subs would still fit into Tomorrowland. There could be signs of mankind's interference (like the mines), signs of exploration for drugs as is done in the rain forests (Cousteau expedition-type divers), reclamation of an oil-spill. You can probably think of other ways to show the good and bad of technology + the oceans.

CoasterMatt
04-26-2004, 11:46 AM
Re: Subs, Nemo, and the future

With a Nemo overlay, the subs would still fit into Tomorrowland. There could be signs of mankind's interference (like the mines), signs of exploration for drugs as is done in the rain forests (Cousteau expedition-type divers), reclamation of an oil-spill. You can probably think of other ways to show the good and bad of technology + the oceans.

I just don't think they need Nemo for an overlay of that sort. I don't like the overlay idea much, because it reminds me too much of what they did with Universe of Energy at EPCOT.

Quinten27
04-26-2004, 12:11 PM
Out of curiousity, was the original sub ride based on "20,000 leagues Under the Sea"? I haven't ridden the subs since I was 7 or 8, so I don't really remember for sure, but I seemed to remember that theme tied in somehow. I personally would leave the ride pretty much as it is. Add a few new fish and other objects to view, and maybe have Nemo swim by in one part, but I don't think they need to go overboard with the Nemo theming. The attraction shouldn't be about a lost fish, it should be about the wonders under the ocean.

ROBONICS95
04-26-2004, 12:40 PM
Out of curiousity, was the original sub ride based on "20,000 leagues Under the Sea"? I haven't ridden the subs since I was 7 or 8, so I don't really remember for sure, but I seemed to remember that theme tied in somehow. I personally would leave the ride pretty much as it is. Add a few new fish and other objects to view, and maybe have Nemo swim by in one part, but I don't think they need to go overboard with the Nemo theming. The attraction shouldn't be about a lost fish, it should be about the wonders under the ocean.

i believe that the WDW version was based on 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.
That being said, i have enjoyed watching the progression of this topic/discussion. it went from one person quoting an article, to disneyland going overboard by theming the submarines with "finding nemo". just humorous. sorry. ;)
robert

smd4
04-26-2004, 01:09 PM
The original sub attraction had subs loosely based on the first-generation nuclear submarines then entering service in the US Navy, the first of which, the "Nautilus," was successful in traversing under the North Pole Ice Cap.

That being said, the ride story line actually did include several episodes from the book, "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea," such as the polar trip (although in Verne's story, it was the South Pole), and the trip to Atlantis.

I do have to agree that the continued "cartoonization" of the park is disturbing. Where once the park was a place of imagination, now it is a place for the M-Tv generation, people who are used to folks doing the imagining for them. Just like the Swiss Family treehouse, where the story wasn't forced down my throat through the use of rediculous 3-d cartoons, but instead where I was encouraged to "imagine" what it would be like to live there.

By the time my son gets old enough to go to the park, I imagine I'll be sitting on a bench, eating peanuts while watching him ride the rides, wondering when someone will (re)invent a place where children and families could have fun togther...

Pirate Girl
04-26-2004, 02:00 PM
Must be the Duck in us.....oooops, sorry PG, I mean the Beaver in us.

Ooooo...nice recovery. I almost had to go kung-fu on you there. ;)