PDA

View Full Version : TOT today

PurpleDove33
04-25-2004, 06:54 AM
I want to thank everyone that posted in the spoiler thread about TOT. See I am a big chicken and I am hoping when I am there later on this morning early afternoon, I won't chicken out. See when I went to WDW back when the had thier 25th anniversary, I ended up not going on it. So I am wanting to tell my sister when we talk tomorrow, that I did TOT out here in Ca before she did. So if you hear a real loud soprano scream, you will know that PurpleDove is on TOT.

SoCalDisneyLover
04-25-2004, 07:44 AM
Isn't it only open to CM's still, or is there a way for an ordinary person to get on it today. I just won't be able to make my AP time on Monday since I can't take off early from work, and I'd like the opportunity before it gets crazy after May 5.

fiendishnessxsally
04-25-2004, 06:57 PM
There was a ticketed event on Friday, but I'm not sure about today or yesterday. I hope the AP things wont be too crowded...

PurpleDove33
04-26-2004, 12:38 AM
I just got home and what can I say is WOW!! I am friends with a guy who's mom works at the resort. That is how I was able to ride it today. We ended up riding it 7 times. For someone who hates free falls, I loved this ride. The first time I went on it, I didn't know what to expect so I sort of freaked out at the first drop. Then the rest of the time we rode it I found myself giggling all the way thru it. The special effects were amazing. I did notice that there were some differant drops. So you don't know how many times you will drop. I liked riding it better at night time. But it still was great. For those of you that have the AP days coming up the next few days. Have a great time. I don't know how crowded it will be for those days. But today it was just walk on and ride.
Now since I had never rode the one at WDW, I have nothing to compare it with. But this ride is still great!!

MetalliKitty
04-26-2004, 09:22 AM
For someone who hates free falls, I loved this ride.

That bodes well for the chances of my husband going on it, more than once...(I hope). I still have not gotten him on Maliboomer, but maybe after TOT he will be desensitized!!

only about 5 hours till I get to go...woohoo! :fez: :p :D
Can anyone tell I am so stoked!!??

AP2CM
04-26-2004, 09:35 AM
I took my dad on it during the Cast preview days and he really liked it! We went on the florida one too last year (with the randomizer) and he didn't like it nearly as much! In florida, he sat out when I went back on, but in DCA, he was ready to go again as soon as he got off! I think Imagineering really out did themselves with this one -- a drop ride that EVERYONE can enjoy, even those who DONT LIKE DROP RIDES!!! AMAZING!

Ohana33
04-26-2004, 02:17 PM
haha same with my mum. we've been to wdw millions of times and she only went on tower of terror once. mainly because she has a weak stomach (but she loves rockin' rollercoaster for some odd reason). but also because it wasn't all that exciting for her. my parents are going to the club33 preview on tuesday! we'll see if her reaction is that same as your dad's ap2cm :)

AP2CM
04-26-2004, 02:30 PM
post her reaction Ohana! Are your parents Club members? Also, how's life up in Coto these days? I came very close to moving there about a year ago. :) I still have the same zip code though, 92679. :) I live nearby (obviously).

DJ_MENTOS
04-26-2004, 03:22 PM
3 Hours ago! I went at 1-2pm today. Got in the attraction at around 1:00pm. It was blistering hot outside. Got into the library rather quickly (5 minutes or so) however once in the boiler room we waited for about 30 minutes. One of the shafts was having technical difficulties. Being in the boiler room for 30 minutes is hot. Ride was great! Unfortunately, like they say, you can only ride once. They mark your ticket so you cannot go in again.

Had a great time, watched a showing of DUH before and after the ride. If you have not seen them , I highly recommend catching a show.

AP2CM
04-26-2004, 04:01 PM
Ah...the first regular guests to ride are begining to surface...THE RIDE NOW BELONGS TO THE GUESTS!! AAARRRGGGHHH! :crying: ...Oh well, I guess that's kinda why we built it in the first place, isn't it? :D

SoCalDisneyLover
04-26-2004, 06:56 PM
Ah...the first regular guests to ride are begining to surface...:D

AHEM! We're not "regular guests." We're AP's....and we're "Privileged." And we need to be treated as such. :~D

SCUBAbe
04-26-2004, 08:21 PM
3 Hours ago! I went at 1-2pm today. Got in the attraction at around 1:00pm. It was blistering hot outside. Got into the library rather quickly (5 minutes or so) however once in the boiler room we waited for about 30 minutes. One of the shafts was having technical difficulties. Being in the boiler room for 30 minutes is hot. Ride was great! Unfortunately, like they say, you can only ride once. They mark your ticket so you cannot go in again.

Had a great time, watched a showing of DUH before and after the ride. If you have not seen them , I highly recommend catching a show.

That happened to use too at the 12-1 time. They eventually had everyone going up the stairs and our small group waited...then they had us switch to the elevator over to the right and we still waited....it eventually worked and it was great!

SCUBAbe
04-26-2004, 08:22 PM
There was a ticketed event on Friday, but I'm not sure about today or yesterday. I hope the AP things wont be too crowded...

It wasn't crowded at all. About half the seats were empty on our ride.

MetalliKitty
04-26-2004, 10:15 PM
What an awesome ride!
It was over too soon, though, but very much worth the wait.

The best part was...every single second.
I love 0 G's!

I could not resist the merch and bought my second Disney jersey in four days.

Then I got surveyed, specifically because of being an AP (?); and THEN the coolest thing happened.

There was a man waiting for his family who was not able to ride because he had a bad back.
He asked me if I was alone, because he was not going to use his single ticket - and I got to go again.
That was the last thing I thought would happen today!

As for the crowds, the first time through the line the queues were full but seemed to move pretty quickly. My second trip through was pretty close to 4:00 and the next crowd was gathering outside the gates, but I pretty much walked straight back in.

I can't wait to ride again, but I guess I will have to...sob...

Tigertail777
04-27-2004, 03:33 AM
Didnt really want to start a thread just for this, but can anyone give a basic rundown of the TOT themed merchandise in the shop as you exit at DCA (or wdw for that matter)? I keep hoping for one of those little diecast ride vehicles of the TOT elevator.... they havnt made one yet have they? I also really would like a real working miniature sign thats like the one in front of the ride that changes from "Hollywood Tower Hotel", to "Twilight Zone Tower of Terror". SO what all new merchandise do they have?

AP2CM
04-27-2004, 07:11 AM
The Tower gift shop has a lot of the same stuff as florida. Keychains, t-shirts, swea shirts, etc. They also have posters (framed), and a whole array of "hotel" stuff, like bath towels, slippers, robes, etc. bearing the infamous ToT logo! Additionally, some TZ merchandise is sold, including model figurines and DVD episode packs. In the back of the store, they sell period stuff like 1930s style radios and CD players (these are pretty expensive). They also sell vases and bowls that are 1930s themed (expensive too)! As far as "Tower" specific stuff, there is a light-up model of the tower itself, but its quality is more on par with a gigantic christmas ornament that you plug-in to the wall. Some will find it cool, but I'd rather wait until a more detailed model comes out. Finally, there is an array of squishy eyeballs and other "weird" stuff that hints at The TZ tv show. Naturally, they also sell the image capture photos and frames. I hope this helps! That's all I can remember!

spectromen
04-27-2004, 07:44 AM
3 Hours ago! I went at 1-2pm today. Got in the attraction at around 1:00pm. It was blistering hot outside.

Boy, I feel ya there. I was in the same time slot. The heat was more akin to the Inland Empire in mid-August, and with BAD smog to boot. Worst of all, there is almost no shade in the whole ToT area, which really disappointed me. Of course, having been to the WDW version several times, I'm going to be biased. But there is a whole section of the queue that is directly in the sun - did noone realize that yes, it gets hot in Southern California and that guests are going to wilt while waiting??! And as far as the excuse that the landscaping needs time to grow, nope - palm trees aren't going to change much over the years.

This is a good ride, and a sorely needed addition to DCA, but I'm going to have to continue to favor Florida's version - much more immersive queue, better exterior theming, and I'm sorry, but seeing a mirror image of all of us sitting in the car didn't hold a candle to the 5th Dimension Room. I'm sorry they cheaped out. Conversely, the lobby looks great and the little touches like the period doll and the current newspaper on the sofa were very cool.

One of the highlights for me was actually getting to see the interior of Hollywood & Dine again. I'd only glanced at it once in 2001 (thinking it would always be there - heh) and I was pleasantly surprised at the theming. Considering Soap Opera Bistro is no more, this was, IMO, a well-themed food court. I have fond memories of Don the Beachcomber so seeing the little storefront recreation of it was a treat, along with the various seating areas themed to look like interiors of classic restaurants. I'm sure hoping they will reconsider opening this when Tower opens!

Ohana33
04-27-2004, 08:46 AM
post her reaction Ohana! Are your parents Club members? Also, how's life up in Coto these days? I came very close to moving there about a year ago. :) I still have the same zip code though, 92679. :) I live nearby (obviously).

haha are you really? RSM i'm guessing? yea my parents have been club members for years (and no i'm not the stereotypical coto brat haha)... i lived down there for years, went to high school there (i bet you can guess which one ;) ).. now i go to school on the east coast but whenever i'm home for break, i work at DCA :) i'll definately post her reaction! haha i can't wait! my dad's going to videotape it just to get it on record

Rallymonkey23
04-27-2004, 11:26 AM
We got to ride yesterday. Our time slot for the AP preview was from 2-3 PM and they let us in 30 minutes before our time slot. There really wasnt a big line. We waited about 15 minutes. Our kids are 5 and 6 years old so we were ready to do the baby swap thing. But when we got into the elevator the kids just sat down and buckled up. THIS RIDE IS AMAZING! The kids loved it. The special effects are amazing. The drops are great. I can't say enough good about this ride. Looks like we will be spending more time at DCA! ( I never thought I would say that! ) :eek:

AP2CM
04-27-2004, 12:40 PM
rallymonkey --

Excellent! I believe your reaction is exactly what the imagineers were after: enjoying a superbly executed attraction AND a desire to visit DCA more often! They've FINALLY done it again in Anaheim! Just compare your reaction to the reaction of guests after they got off of DLR's last new attraction (Pooh). Totally different, and this time, desirable! I don't think that's happened since Indy opened back in '95)!