PDA

View Full Version : What Is Wrong With Indy?

SoCalDisneyLover
04-25-2004, 12:01 AM
The last two times I've been on the ride, what I believe is known as "the bug room," has not been working. Perhaps I'm mistaken, but isn't this the room right before the collapsing bridge? Anyways...the last 2 times, it has been a plain pitch black room, with no effects whatsoever.

Then of course there is the snake. I understand that whatever new effect they had planned somehow wasn't working, so now they plan to wait until after summer to fix it. But why can't it go back to the way it was for the time being? Has it been irreparably altered or something? At least the old lunging effect was cool. Now it just looks dumb sitting there doing nothing.

Some of what I've seen since the rehab leads me to believe there were improvements. Oh the other hand, a couple of the major effects I recall previously, are currently missing. And I find the new queue setup kind of confusing, but if it makes sense to the CM's running the line, and is working in a positive way, then I'll follow their lead. It just seems like the wait has gotten longer once you get inside, rather than shorter. Plus the potential walk-on nature of single rider appears to be gone forever. Nothing will beat Splash where it comes to that though.

tracilicious
04-25-2004, 09:56 AM
a cast member told me that the snake will be slithering when it comes back in a month or two. the bugs were working last time i was there. i LOVE the fact that they are doing the queue inside now. it made no sense the other way.

HBTiggerFan
04-25-2004, 02:02 PM
The Indy queue for standby used to be mostly outside and often went into Adventureland clogging the walkways. Now they use the interior of the queue for standby. The reason the wait may seem like it's longer once you get inside is because it is longer. But if the wait time was 90 minutes last summer (when you waited most of it outside) it's still 90 minutes now (where you wait for most of it inside...).

Cadaverous Pallor
04-25-2004, 06:51 PM
Just rode Indy today.

Bugs were NOT working. Snake still not moving.

All the rad fire/light/smoke effects were awesome, however. Mara destroyed the bridge with eye "lasers". Wicked. :fez:

We had fastpasses, and they were doing it the old way - holding a bunch of standby people outside the building and taking fastpasses at the door. I felt bad for all those standing out in the heat. When we got to the film room, they were using both the switchbacks and straight line on the side, alternating where they'd send people.

MonorailMan
04-25-2004, 06:53 PM
Lucky Devil. Most of last Sunday, Indy was 101. ;)

AP2CM
04-26-2004, 09:30 AM
from what I've been able to dig up, there is supposed to be a new snake on order that will have air sacs in the "hood" of the cobra, allowing it to enlarge and hiss before it strikes. This new effect is supposed to be really cool, and I cant wait to see it! Expect the new snake by late june to early july!

DigitalLizard
04-26-2004, 09:35 AM
"the bug room," has not been working.

Eisner decided he needed another Holiday bonus and he had to cut this to make it happen! Ha! lol! jk!
:p

SoCalDisneyLover
04-26-2004, 10:44 AM
I thought the whole idea behind the queue adjustments was to give people more access to the stuff inside. However, it appears that the real reason behind the switchbacks and delays inside is actually to force the watching of the film. I don't mind having a more leisurely pace walking to the ride itself, but they're still doing the line outside, and the Fast Pass division outside, so all they've accomplished is forcing the Fast Pass people to wait inside for a couple of minutes, and then watch the "safety" film for an additional couple of minutes. Aside from the novelty of watching the film, the only thing it really does is mention that there is a storage pouch, and also explains how to fasten a seat belt. 'Nuf said.

AP2CM
04-26-2004, 11:20 AM
actually, the reason they reconfigured the queue was because the california themepark safety board (cant remember the acronym) stipulates that everyone must listen to the safety spiel, so this is the solution they came up with (that uses existing infrastructure).

SoCalDisneyLover
04-26-2004, 11:31 AM
As solutions go, I guess their procedure is the best scenario possible. And I feel SOOOOO much safer knowing how to fasten my seat belt ahead of time.

At least it will protect Disney from any incompetent riders who might somehow get around the seatbelt requirement.

AP2CM
04-26-2004, 01:16 PM
I suppose it's conceivable that there are some guests who travel internationally that may not have a seat belt law where they come from...remember, DLR has to assume people know nothing ahead of time. A safety requirement is only as obvious as is the perception of the most UNINFORMED guest possible.

Cadaverous Pallor
04-26-2004, 01:25 PM
I would like to ask a current Indy CM whether they think the new seatbelt film is having any effect. Do they fasten their belts faster, with less coaching from the CMs?

I have no problem with the film - Star Tours has been doing this for ages. It's just a matter of not seeing the rest of the movie.

I think they should let the line be inside and simply time the film better. Perhaps have the seatbelt bit once every 5 full minutes. That way, you'd definitely see it while waiting in the film room, but you'd also see the rest of the movie. I wonder how long the original movie is....I think that sounds about right. If the line is too short (in other words, you can walk right through the film room), THEN have a CM stop people inside that room to be sure they see it.
I hope they don't stick with the "fastpass at the door" bit that we saw on Sunday.

dav
04-26-2004, 01:57 PM
Some of what I've seen since the rehab leads me to believe there were improvements. Oh the other hand, a couple of the major effects I recall previously, are currently missing. This is great, I haven't even thought about talking to you guys about this.

Ok, Indy was down for quite a while. The projectors are nice and the lasers are great behind that main door and everything. I want the Ice avallance and the eyes of mala back so much. I am so sad they reopened it for spring break without even putting the keystone room back to repositionable. I looked back through the closed door to see nothing happening, mala yelling at me with no smoke or sparkles comming out of his eyes. The snake was hilarious, not moving or anything. I knew it was not done, but WOW!

The rock optical thing from it's inception needs to come back so there is reason behind that abrupt left turn into the first cave.

I have so many frowns....

-dav

AP2CM
04-26-2004, 02:13 PM
I remember the ice avalanche. That was cool! I dont think the flashfreezer they used (and then broke) is available anymore...that may be why it didn't make a come-back. I think the new lava effect is pretty cool though, and they DID fix the second fireball effect that happens just as you are leaving the cave for the last time (right after you go through the skull)! Bravo to the imagineers for that!

dav
04-26-2004, 03:04 PM
I think that thing worked for two or so months in '94. Then broke and wasn't repaired until '96 or late '95 and then broke again. Some multi expensive unreliable ice I tell ya!I am comming out there this weekend, QUEENSRYCE at the HOB! So if it is running, I will lean into the snake as to enhance my terror.

MactechCM
04-26-2004, 08:18 PM
The Saftey Film is now a requirement to ride the attraction - so yes, Single Rider is no longer a walk-up and get right on (but then again, if you READ the pass handed to you, it states that immediate boarding is not guarenteed). I would say that working Belt check, a LOT more people have them buckled, or at least are aware that there is a seat belt on the ride. And yes, even though people "watch" the video, they seem to not hear that they buckle from right to left.

MotorBoat Cruiser
04-27-2004, 01:14 AM
Bugs were not working on Monday (4/26), nor were they last weekend when we were there.

???

They were fine when the ride re-opened. I just don't get it.

DJLCB
04-27-2004, 09:45 AM
I rode Indy yesterday and had mixed feelings about the experience. I have not rode it since it reopened so I knew what to expect from reading the threads. First off, I was dissappointed the spikes were not working in the que. I remember the spikes moving when the ride first opened. or at least rumbling more. The line was VERY short yesterday but backed up just before the movie room. They definitely want you to see the safety portion of the film but not necessarily the News from around the world stuff. I liked the load in. I was not partial to the other method. This was the first time for my 5 year old son and he did benefit from the movie (and practice in the family car) and buckled up right away. And the yellow strap helped out since he had just experienced ToT that afternoon. Once in the ride it was very evident that the mood and clarity of the lighting was enhanced. It just looked great. However, one of the eyes were out on the face (I think it is Maya?) and NO smoke! The sound was incredible. Nobody really talked about that. The sound really immerses the rider in that ride. The fire and the repaired laser was nice to see. I think I saw it once when it first opened but have since forgotten it was there. I hope they keep it. But the big bummer was NO BUGS. I was looking forward to seeing how this effect improved and nothing! The ride also feels bumpier but not in a negative way. Maybe more dramatic with regard to the movement of the car would be better. I liked it. Overall I liked what has been improved and cannot wait until everything is working. I will take my son again for a new experience. He loved it. Which was a surprise because he sat there wide-eyed the whole ride. When we got off he said "I like that ride!". Get 'em started young, maybe he'll be an Imagineer!

olegc
04-29-2004, 01:40 PM
After our stint at ToT we went over to the main park to get some use out of my brothers freshly printed AP. As we got to Indy the whole thing was shut down - and had been for a while. I could not get an answer from a CM as to expected opening - but it did not look good. From reading the threads it looks like they opened the ride up too early from rehab - and not everything was done. Maybe that's why it was shuttered again....

SoCalDisneyLover
04-29-2004, 03:14 PM
Unfortunately that does not mean anything. Indy goes down all the time. I'm sure when it's back up, the same effects which were not working last week, Still won't be working. I can't understand how a ride can be down for rehab, and when it comes back, some of the major effects that previously worked, no longer do. The ride seemed to have lost more than it gained from the rehab, but I guess they got their air gates installed, and the safety film in the queue, so that's all they really wanted.

DisneyFan25863
04-29-2004, 07:49 PM
Indy opened today at about 1, after being closed since 11. I was 4th in line to get back on. The spike room and the mine rope both worked. The bug room worked. The lasers worked. The fire worked. The snake didn't work. The ball actually seemed to really fall this time.

disney_leonard
04-30-2004, 09:53 PM
In addition to the "safety" aspect the film also carries the attraction storyline. While I have seen the film many times, this week we took some people who had never been to DLR. Stopping to view the film helped carry the story of the ride. Since there is no way to separate first timers from veterans, this is the best course since missing the film can leave a hole in the story and make it just a "ride".

Cadaverous Pallor
05-01-2004, 09:53 AM
In addition to the "safety" aspect the film also carries the attraction storyline. While I have seen the film many times, this week we took some people who had never been to DLR. Stopping to view the film helped carry the story of the ride. Since there is no way to separate first timers from veterans, this is the best course since missing the film can leave a hole in the story and make it just a "ride".The current version of the story film is much shorter than the original. I, too, think that everyone should see the story before boarding, but the full story, not a tiny, edited version.

rihard2000
05-01-2004, 08:03 PM
From what I have been reading, single riders are merged into the regular line? I understand they give single riders a pass, but what is to stop a group of 4 from entering the ride claiming to be single riders, and then pocketing their passes and riding together? We all know that folks complain to ride together even the old way, but now it's seems like Disney has made it possible to avoid the long line and sneak in via the single rider line.

I haven't been to the ride since it reopened. Can anyone explain this. Hopefully I am wrong.

wendybeth
05-01-2004, 08:42 PM
Several weeks ago, it got stuck in the section right before the giant rock comes rolling at you. We sat there in the dark, engine vrooming, and sat there and sat there... I was sure we would be unloaded, but then it suddenly took off again. Eric was actually trying to record the ride on our video cam; I should check and see how long we were stuck. (No, he did not turn on the light, so of course very little shows up on screen, but the audio is pretty good!)