PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars Galaxy's Edge Opening thoughts and ideas

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

olegc
04-18-2019, 12:40 PM
So Disneyland posted this video today - which essentially was rehashing information that already exists.
https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2019/04/know-before-you-go-no-cost-reservations-for-star-wars-galaxys-edge-at-disneyland-resort/
While a little over the top for me I can see where they are trying to continue to inject excitement and information wherever they can. I struck me, though, that if they are pushing for more people to reserve rooms then there must have been a decent slowdown from the initial announcement and now they're trying to be 100% booked for the month of previews. My take on this is many locals are waiting for the reservation system to be announced, while those that wanted to travel may be willing to wait for ROTR to be open. It could also be as simple as money - room prices are higher (more so closer to opening weekend with some reduction as you move out the 3 weeks).

Berry Princess
04-18-2019, 09:37 PM
I wasn't into the video myself. I felt like you that it was to over the top. Yet there is a few comments under it and one questioned why they are pushing the rooms in the Disney Hotels if they are all booked. I looked at the hotels myself. I picked just a random date in June but can imagine the cost is probably the same pretty much most days if the rooms aren't booked.

Paradise Pier- Premium View $503/1 Bedroom Suite $906
Disneyland Hotel- Standard $561/Deluxe View $617/Premium View $651 and it goes up from there
Grand Cali Hotel- Woods Courtyard View $763/Deluxe Partial View $821 and it goes up from there as well.

Its not that they are sold out as the one thinks in comments on the blog, its that the prices are just so high that most can not afford it (or maybe justify it). If they are needing to buy tickets into the park(s) it could be just to much for many. I think that not even just locals but those that can't afford those prices for a hotel are waiting as well on the reservation system to open as well. I can imagine there are some waiting to go after everything is opened and might have had reservations set for a certain time they rather keep instead of changing or they can't for one reason or another (jobs/school/etc). It does seems they are really pushing to try to fill the rooms left by giving out the reminder on getting that reservation spot by booking a room with them. I just wonder in the end when it come time for opening day, how booked the hotels will be. Obviously the standards will be gone but will some just do a last minute splurge before opening day if they can't get a reservation otherwise is going to be the question...and I'm sure one Disney is hoping for.

olegc
04-19-2019, 07:36 AM
It does seems they are really pushing to try to fill the rooms left by giving out the reminder on getting that reservation spot by booking a room with them.

Opening weekend will be packed- but that seems about it to far.

The conspiracy theorist in me says they're waiting until more rooms are booked before they announce the reservation system. I hope its a lottery of some sort. I'm OK if I don't get one when its a lottery system. First come first served would be bad - and I also wonder how they will manage duplicates. They have in the past so that's great - but this is SWGE. Folks are more hyped for this - including non-Disney/pro Star Wars fans.

Berry Princess
04-19-2019, 08:28 AM
Opening weekend will be packed- but that seems about it to far.

The conspiracy theorist in me says they're waiting until more rooms are booked before they announce the reservation system. I hope its a lottery of some sort. I'm OK if I don't get one when its a lottery system. First come first served would be bad - and I also wonder how they will manage duplicates. They have in the past so that's great - but this is SWGE. Folks are more hyped for this - including non-Disney/pro Star Wars fans.

Hmm could be. I know I have 3 guys here that are waiting for this so if I can snag them reservations great. If not its all ok as well. If it opens to a first come first served it will be crazy and I would bet crash the system between the Disney fans and the SW fans. Lottery type system isn't a bad thing though. Which would probably be easier to keep it from having more then one person/group getting more then one set of reservations. Then how will they deal with each set of reservations leaving when its time? With the set up and pushing the interaction of things I can see some wanting to spend as long as they can there. Will be interesting to see how the first weekend/week ends up. That first weekend is a given to be crazy. Especially that Friday with those wanting to be first.

NickP
04-22-2019, 07:28 AM
My friends, who made a hotel reservation, just got their GE reservation time for 11a-3p on..... May 30!

olegc
04-22-2019, 08:29 AM
My friends, who made a hotel reservation, just got their GE reservation time for 11a-3p on..... May 30!

Oops. A typo? Maybe they should confirm.
and interesting that the 4 hour window is 11-3, when I saw another email someone posted online that says 8-12. so I wonder if there is a 1 hour overlap to the windows.

tea4two
04-22-2019, 09:11 AM
Disney has admitted that the dates and times are wrong. Corrections will be made and new emails sent out soon. The errors do not invalidate the SWGE reservations.

olegc
04-22-2019, 09:43 AM

i have read where Disney Travel had made some serious errors (have your friends look at the checkin date on their email). So a phone call is in order to determine what the real story is.

olegc
04-22-2019, 09:44 AM
DPB announced the public reservations
May 2nd 8am - info released on the Park blog.
May 2nd 10am - reservation system open (I will be taking off from Denver, thats a bummer)

You must have a Disney account to be able to make a reservation.

NickP
04-22-2019, 09:59 AM
i have read where Disney Travel had made some serious errors (have your friends look at the checkin date on their email). So a phone call is in order to determine what the real story is.

Check in date for hotel was right, same date May 30. They're not worried as they are there through Sunday. No reason to call but have been monitoring online and the phone lines are obviously busy with people calling. Most common issues seemed to be GE reservation times being a day before their hotel reservation check in date.

sjhanksaz
04-26-2019, 05:47 AM
My thoughts and ideas are to avoid the park for several months.

cstephens
04-30-2019, 02:33 PM
So we know that reservations are required from May 31 to June 23 to enter Galaxy's Edge. But what about after that? The Disneyland website says starting June 24, no reservations are required. But an article in the Auto Club's Westways magazine says starting June 24, guests will get an entry time upon entering the park. Here's the thread I posted on Twitter with the details. (https://twitter.com/cstephens2/status/1123352244101890048) Wonder which is right.

Berry Princess
04-30-2019, 02:58 PM
Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if either they give each group of guests a time for entry SWGE or if they continue with reservations for the land itself. Either way it seems like its the best way to handle things so guests get to enjoy the land if they want on a visit and still enjoy the rest of the park while they wait to get in...instead of wasting a day in some sort of a standby that might not get them in at all. It also makes it so the walkways don't get cluttered with a standby line to get in the land as well. Which if they go either of those ways after the first month, hopefully they don't mix it in with the info on the 2nd so it doesn't confuse some people about what they need to do that day.

olegc
04-30-2019, 03:12 PM
Historically, though, the resort has never created any controls when a land is officially open. SWGE is a different case in terms of serious popularity so it could happen. Like anything else - wait and see. We *don't* have the answers right now.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

newhdplayer
04-30-2019, 04:29 PM
Historically, though, the resort has never created any controls when a land is officially open. SWGE is a different case in terms of serious popularity so it could happen. Like anything else - wait and see. We *don't* have the answers right now.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk������

indiejones33
04-30-2019, 06:50 PM
I think there was a Mouseplanet article that explained how the entry will work starting June 24th. Basically once the land has reached capacity in the morning, each guest waiting to come in will be given a “boarding pass.” Meaning that when enough people have exited the Land, the guests waiting to come in will be sent a text or push notification through the Disneyland app notifying them that it is their turn to enter the Land.

olegc
04-30-2019, 08:17 PM
I think there was a Mouseplanet article that explained how the entry will work starting June 24th. Basically once the land has reached capacity in the morning, each guest waiting to come in will be given a “boarding pass.” Meaning that when enough people have exited the Land, the guests waiting to come in will be sent a text or push notification through the Disneyland app notifying them that it is their turn to enter the Land.Great but what's the grace period after notification (I know - we don't know). If im in line at haunted or pirates ,etc, I wonder how soon you'd have yo be there at land entrance?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

NickP
05-02-2019, 07:12 AM
Anyone gonna try for general reservations this morning and if so want to make a list to try to help each other? I am going to try for May 31 or June 2 (my AP is blocked on June 1)
I have 4 names I can try for. If anyone wants to help each other out, pm me.

GrumpyGoofyGuy
05-02-2019, 07:24 AM
I don't think we even know how this is going to work, do we? I'm logged in on the page that says not to close or refresh and wait until 10AM.

NickP
05-02-2019, 07:29 AM
This is from the DPB, lets you know that you can do up to six people, all needing ID's, which is why you need names of all in your party

Here’s How to Make a Reservation to Visit Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge at Disneyland Park Between May 31 and June 23, 2019
Michael Ramirez

by Michael Ramirez, Editorial Content Director, Disneyland Resort

If you are planning to visit Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge at the Disneyland Resort between May 31 and June 23, 2019, a reservation and theme park admission are required. There is no additional cost to make a reservation, but reservations are subject to availability.

Here’s how to make a reservation:

Beginning today, May 2, at 10 a.m. PT, visit the Disneyland reservation page.
You will need to be logged into your Disney Account and have the names of everyone who will be part of your Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge reservation (up to six guests total per reservation).
All guests will be required to have valid theme park admission in addition to their Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge reservation information and valid government issued photo ID. The guest who made the reservation (even if under 18 years old) and all guests aged 18 and over on the reservation will need to bring a government issued photo ID upon check in for your Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge reservation. Guests under the age of 3 do not need a Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge reservation. Only guests listed on the Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge reservation with proper ID will be admitted.
Once you make your Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge reservation, no changes or modifications will be allowed. Reservations are void if transferred or sold. Unused reservations will be forfeited and not replaced.

Guests staying at a Disneyland Resort hotel between May 31 and June 23, 2019 do not need to sign up for a reservation as they will receive a designated reservation to access Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge during their stay (one reservation per registered guest; valid theme park admission required). If you would like to stay at a Disneyland Resort hotel and guarantee a reservation to Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge, click here to book your stay or call (714) 520-5060 now! If the hotel reservation is cancelled, the Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge reservation will be cancelled.

During the reservation period, access to the experiences in Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge will be subject to capacity. Beginning June 24, 2019, reservations will not be required for visits to Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge, and access to Disneyland park, Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge and experiences will be subject to capacity.

GrumpyGoofyGuy
05-02-2019, 07:41 AM
OK-Guess we just wait. It doesn't really say if you get to pick a day or time.

NickP
05-02-2019, 07:44 AM
yeah that would've been some nice info to have :p

currence
05-02-2019, 08:20 AM
I don't think we even know how this is going to work, do we? I'm logged in on the page that says not to close or refresh and wait until 10AM.

I'm not sure if I'm going to try for a reservation, but I just tried to go to Disneyland's homepage just to compare my blackout days with our family calendar to see if there are any days where we could go, if we got tickets, and there was a wait just to get the homepage to load! Thank goodness for Mouseplanet posting the blackout days on their weekly update.

Berry Princess
05-02-2019, 08:33 AM
I'm not sure if I'm going to try for a reservation, but I just tried to go to Disneyland's homepage just to compare my blackout days with our family calendar to see if there are any days where we could go, if we got tickets, and there was a wait just to get the homepage to load! Thank goodness for Mouseplanet posting the blackout days on their weekly update.

Between those trying to see if they can get the reservations page and the ones still needing to make an account on the site to do reservations I am not surprised. At least its set up to make one wait in a virtual line instead of an error message or something. BTW, the app also has the blackouts so could use that as well.

NickP
05-02-2019, 08:40 AM
yeah I was able to get on the app, it was a little buggy but after one or two tries I was able to get to the blackout calendar and screenshot the dates just so I have them handy

I have been on the Disneyland site and signed in since 730 just to make sure I was signed in, currently at the "Reservation" (for lack of a better term)
I wish they would be a little more forthcoming with how it works as far as if you get to choose dates or not. Also if you have a hotel stay booked and got a time on one day of your stay, if you can book a "regular" (non hotel) reservation online for another time or day