PDA

View Full Version : Things that happen to you at Disneyland

cstephens
04-24-2004, 02:05 AM
I had the opportunity to spend some time sitting and listening to Rod play the piano this afternoon. I had pulled up a chair next to his piano, and Rod chatted with me and another person while he was playing. He was playing a particular song (I don't know what it was), and an older woman whose family was waiting in line at Coke Corner came out to listen to the song. She really seemed to be enjoying it. She told me that she had fond memories of the song because when she was in eighth grade, a boy had sung it to her. I told her that was cute. She said that the boy had gone on to become quite famous and successful. His name was Eugene Roddenberry. I smiled at her. Wasn't expecting to hear that kind of story today.

LibraryGirl
04-24-2004, 09:06 AM
I was waiting to get on the shuttle from my hotel to Disneyland last April. A family with a 5 year old girl and a 2 1/2 year old little boy sat in the seats behind and kitty corner from me. They family was fresh faced and excited for a day at the park. The mother leaned forward and asked if I had ever been to Disneyland before because this was the family's first trip there.

:fez: Well... had I?!? :D We talked for about 10 minutes about the fun stuff for the little ones to do, places to eat, cute little trinkets...etc. I found out they were from Arizona. The kids were as cute as they could be. I had mentioned that I had just brought my little girl to Disneyland in June and she had a great time and I knew the little boy and girl would love sharing Disneyland together. The clencher was... at the end, the mother looked at her little boy, then at me and said, "I know they will, becuase Caleb won't be with us for very long... this trip is is Make-A-Wish trip. Thank you so much for helping us plan a great vacation for the kids. There is no way of knowing all this information by reading a book!" When I looked at Caleb, he had a Make-A-Wish shirt and pin on... but an oh so radiant smile on his little face.

It was like I had been punched in the chest. I got off the shuttle, waited for the family, wished them a good trip and walked away.

When I got into Disneyland, I made it to the bathroom, and I cried for a good 10 minutes.

MeganPierce
04-24-2004, 11:22 AM
It was like I had been punched in the chest. I got off the shuttle, waited for the family, wished them a good trip and walked away.

When I got into Disneyland, I made it to the bathroom, and I cried for a good 10 minutes.

This brought tears to my eyes and has continued over the last 2 hours! It really made me think about the important things in my life. I am taking my kids to DL for the first time next month and could not imagine if it would be their last time. I know how magical the Disney parks can be and it is something that everyone should have the opportunity to expierence in their lifetime. Your story has inspired me to contact my local Make-a-wish to volunteer my time. Thank you for your story.

KeithOfTerror
04-24-2004, 09:38 PM
I had a nervous breakdown on the Jungle Cruise, and my heart was broken on the Matterhorn.

On a lighter note, I fell in love on...oh wait, that was at Knott's Berry Farm.

Disney Vault
04-24-2004, 09:51 PM
LibraryGirl that is so sad yet very happy at the same time.

Is make a wish for all kids who are dieing or only for kids with cancer?

KeithOfTerror
04-24-2004, 09:53 PM
LibraryGirl that is so sad yet very happy at the same time.

Is make a wish for all kids who are dieing or only for kids with cancer?

I'm almost positive that it is for all dying kids. (Text removed)

MontanaKC
04-25-2004, 08:48 AM
Your story has inspired me to contact my local Make-a-wish to volunteer my time. Thank you for your story.

I found the website, in case anyone would like to visit to find out about donating, volunteering, etc.

http://www.wish.org/cgi-bin/findus/findus_public.pl?state=ca

That's for local chapters in the state of California.

TDBearGrrl
04-25-2004, 08:53 AM
Make a Wish is for kids with life threatening conditions. Often the Make A Wish experience fills them with so much positive energy they make great strides in their recovery immediately following their experience.

LibraryGirl
04-25-2004, 09:17 AM
Your story has inspired me to contact my local Make-a-wish to volunteer my time. Thank you for your story.

That day, in the park by myself... I felt the magnitude of that little boy's wish and I cried throughout my day. At one point.. I wanted to follow them to get their address. But it wasn't about me... it was about their day and I went ahead and walked my seperate way.

This experience really did give me a new sense of what was important to me. It inspired me to volunteer my time as well. Unfortunately, they don't have an office close to me (I am 45 minutes away from Sacramento), so I need to try to work out a plan to go up there and get the ball rolling for my area.

The story just needed to be shared! Thanks everyone!