PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland Mark V Monorail Toy!

FXwakeboard
04-23-2004, 04:28 PM
Hey All,
This is my first post here and I wanted to take this time to say hello to all of you.

Now to my question, I know that the Disneyland Monorail was avalible at one time but now I can't seem to find it. I was just at the park last week and all they had was the Disneyworld yellow train. Any idea where I might be able to track one down? Is it even still produced?

Klutch
04-23-2004, 06:43 PM
I don't know if there was ever a specific Disneyland monorail toy, but I used to see the Walt Disney World toy monorail in the Disney Store all the time. I searched on the Disney Store web page and came up empty (imagine that). I did find this:

http://www.mainstreetmegastore.com/pd_walt_disney_world_monorail.cfm?RID=15&TID=2#

It's kinda pricey, but looks pretty cool.

Tinker Bell
04-23-2004, 06:46 PM
I think i saw one at DCA about a month back.At that shop on the right when you get in the park.

disneyboy7
04-23-2004, 06:59 PM
I've seen it in Tomorrowland. I don't remember the name of the shop but it is in front of It's a Small World.

Lost Boy
04-23-2004, 08:51 PM
There are three versions of the Disney Monorails. There is a large oneof the WDW world Monorail. The stands that hold the track are about 3 inches or so in height, you get a four car train (counting the "Engine" car) and it makes a large oval or smaller circle. The second was also a large version but included the Golden Gate Bridge that is in DCA. The last was a smaller version for DCA without the bridge, only two cars (including the "engine" car) and the rail stands are only about 2 inches in height. Much smaller radius of oval or circle. The WDW train has a speil from Florida and the two DCA trains are speils from Disneyland. The smaller one also has the special stands to activate the DCA ride toys when the Monorail passes over the special switch (sold speratly). These switches will also fit the taller stands. I have not seen the smaller one except in the Train Toy Store in DCA. The larger versions are at World of Disney in the toy section at the East End of the store or in Disneyland, usually Tomorrowland and the Main Street Emporium toy store next to the clock store. The big one costs around $60 and the smaller one is $39 something. I have the big WDW version and the smaller DCA one.

mousey_girl
04-23-2004, 10:30 PM
I just bought the small DCA monorail at a Disney AMS closeout store. It was $58 and 60% off.

FXwakeboard
04-23-2004, 11:06 PM
I looked but did not see any of the DCA train set's avalible when I was at the park last weekend. Does anyone know where I might be able to buy the full DCA set online?

AVP
04-24-2004, 06:13 AM
At the moment, the only battery-operated Monorail toy available through Disney is the WDW version, which is once again available through Disneyland and WDW. (They had pulled this toy just after Christmas because of some mechanical problems with the current crop of them, and they just came back into stock three weeks ago)

Both DCA versions have been "retired." You can usually find them on eBay.

AVP

lazyboy97O
04-24-2004, 09:38 AM
Both DCA versions have been "retired." You can usually find them on eBay.
AVP

But they get rather price. I saw one sale at $285 recently. The big DCA ones witht he bridge only pop up every so often. I think it just be mroe worth it to save up and by an old Shucco one witht he way theold DCA ones sell.

MonorailMan
04-24-2004, 06:53 PM
:mad:
Is all I have to say...

MarkVI
04-25-2004, 01:50 PM
I own both the DCA Mini-Monorail and the Disneyland Resort Monorail sets. When I bought them last year they cost $22 and $60 respectively. Recently the Resort Monorail began this high pitch squeeling noise which I now know is the defect that caused Disney to remove them from the shelves and replace them with the DisneyWorld sets. As of Friday, April 23 they had about 5 DisneyWorld Monorail sets with the yellow stripe in the Downtown Disney Disney Store. Does anyone else know of any new developments about the resort sets?

DisneyFan25863
04-25-2004, 03:28 PM
$285?!?! I have BOTH of the DCA versions (the mini set and the bridge set). Yay! :fez:

FXwakeboard
04-25-2004, 06:47 PM
Does anyone know if Disney plans to sell the DCA full set once the problem has been fixed? Also I noted that I feel the yellow monorail runs slower the the red set I boguht in 98'.

lazyboy97O
04-25-2004, 07:32 PM
Does anyone know if Disney plans to sell the DCA full set once the problem has been fixed? Also I noted that I feel the yellow monorail runs slower the the red set I boguht in 98'.

Hmm. My Monorail Yellow one also runs slower than my Monorail Black. I wonder if that has to do witht he Monorail Yellow model. I thought it was just because I bout Monorail Yellow off eBay and Monorail Black new from a store in St. Augustine.

AVP
04-26-2004, 08:47 AM
Monorail Yellow was the one with the problem. If you look at the "new" boxes of them, you'll notice that they have been opened and re-taped. That's because they replaced the Monorail itself in every box. Monorail Blue, the one that came with the DCA version, did not have any techical problems that I know of.

I was told that DCA Monorail toy disappeared (in November, right before the holiday shopping season no less), because of an error in the fall inventory. Note: ALL of this info is based on what three different merchandise managers told me, and NONE of it may be correct. I'm presenting it as one theory.

According to the story I got, somehow the SKU for the DCA Monorail and the DCA Coaster got switched in the computer system. They had planned to discontinue the coaster, and didn't order any more after inventory. They ordered a ton of "monorails" - 1200 of them, or so I was told - but they had the wrong SKU number.

As a result, they got NO monorails and 1200 coasters. By the time they figures out what happened, it was too late to solve for Christmas. And that's why the coasters all ended up at the outlet stores.

At the same time, they switched manufacturers, and based on the "low" sales numbers for the monorail SKU (which was actually the coaster), someone at WDW made the decision not to continue the DCA version.

The monorails produced by the new manufacturer were the defective monorail yellow, which have been replaced.

AVP

FXwakeboard
04-26-2004, 04:08 PM
So what your saying is that we may never have another DCA monorail set...great! In that case is there anyone who would be wanting to sell their DCA set?

Lost Boy
04-26-2004, 09:00 PM
And (if the SKU story is correct) are supposed to be the kings of merchandising. What a joke they have become. I noticed a lot of the toy ride vehciles that are started by the monorail at that outlet store near Disneyland. The Orange Stinger, King Neptunes Carrousel, Dumbo and Astro Orbiter where all on sale there at two for $12.95 and they were still on sale at DCA for $19.95 each. Someone somewhere is just not paying attention. :eek:

FXwakeboard
04-27-2004, 08:11 PM
Anyone want to sell their full DCA set? Anyone at all....?