PDA

View Full Version : Per Day Expenditures?

Lekta
04-23-2004, 08:28 AM
On a whole, what would you all say is the planned expediture of a young couple in Disneyland, per day? Now, I'm not talking about buying out every gift shop you go into, but, what do you expect/plan to spend each day you visit Disneyland? As far as food, possible gifts, etc.

Also, disregarding the ticket cost, as that is something that is basically set in stone. My wife and I are just trying to plan a budget that we can comfortably live by and still enjoy ourselves immensely. Perhaps, a better way to phrase this question is, what do YOU plan to spend everyday you are in Disneyland (or the amount you wish to not exceed daily)?

Thank you :D

NirvanaMan
04-23-2004, 08:36 AM
Hmm, that is really a rather difficult question to answer. The amount you spend of gifts is really up to you. I rarely buy anything from any of the gift shops, though when I used to go as a tourist, I suppose I would spend $30 on that sorta stuff for the trip. Food can vary greatly. For lunch, you can figure $10 a person per day. It is possible to spend a little less, and if you go to someplace like Blue Bayou for a nice sit down lunch, you will spend a little more. Dinner is even more varied as you can again spend around $10 a person if you do something really simple, or you can spend $50 or more a person if you go to one of the fancier Grand Cal eateries. If you are on a budget, it is prolly best to work backwards. Figure out how much you want to spend, and from there you can decide what sort of meal and gift allowance this can afford you.

kkmickey
04-23-2004, 08:43 AM
Although I don't have a budget range for you, I do have some tips that save me quite a bit of money. I always pack snacks and drinks (sodas, juice, water, etc) to take in (in a backpack or fanny pack) because that can add up QUICKLY. Then I save my money for the best things that I can't get anywhere else - Monte Cristo or Crab Cakes at Blue Bayou, Apple fritters in NOS, Beigne's (spelling?) at the French bakery in downtown Disney (sorry, I forgot the name). I would plan at least $8 for breakfast (in the park), $10 for lunch and probably a little more for dinner. (If you eat only in the park). Meals are cheaper outside of the park, or if you buy groceries and make your own.

I also ALWAYS look for a good sweatshirt at Disney - especially since the Disney stores in our area no longer carry adult clothing. A sweatshirt will run you about $50, unless you find one on sale (not very likely).

The rest depends on what you are buying and who you are buying for. I try to buy things that will be useful, or decorative for my home, not just "souvenoirs". Because although I love stuffed animals and mouse ears, they aren't as meaningful to me (especially after the first 20 or so!) as a Christmas ornament, a piece of art, or a unique kitchen item. That is what I love about shopping at Disney - the unique items! Another tip - if you are looking for t-shirts, I found some GREAT unique Disney ones at our hotel's gift shop - for half of what I would pay at the park!

Have a great time!

Photographer
04-23-2004, 08:48 AM
Let's see, I would say you can budget at:

$50 per person for food
Now you can completely low-ball that. The $50 would allow you to have a character meal or dine at one of the nice restaurants like Blue Bayou for dinner plus a regular lunch (sandwhich, drink), light breakfast (muffin, bagel) and snacks.

Gifts all depend on what you buy. If you have a car I highly recommend shopping at the Character Warehouse in Fullerton. It's a 10-15 minute drive from DL. They have out-of-season clothing, things that didn't sell in the park, etc. There are lots of T-shirts at $12-8 VS. $19 in the park. Stuffed animals, home decor, jewelry. The items always change but you're sure to find good deals. Keep in mind you'll be paying 7 3/4% sales tax on everything.

Ok I'd say you 2 can have food, souvenirs, and such at a cost of $150 per day combined. I'm sure you can come in much lower than that too.

Did that help? LOL

julgraham
04-23-2004, 08:51 AM
I spend $300 a day for a family of four. That's for the food, snacks, and souvenirs. For two people I would cut that in half. Seems a little high, but I like to enjoy lunch at the Blue Bayou or dinner at the Rainforest Cafe.

Lekta
04-23-2004, 09:05 AM
Thank you for the excellent info! We are on a semi-tight budget, but, we do at least want to have a good meal a day at Disneyland. I especially am excited to try the ever popular Monte Cristo at the Blue Bayou. Now, is that the restuarante at the PoC? If so, I know that runs a bit on the expensive side, but, I'll foot the bill if my wife is so inclined. Also, I didn't know about that store in Fullerton. We'll have to go there and grab some goodies.

Thank you all so much!

Zigen
04-23-2004, 09:21 AM
Keep in mind if your on a tight budget, a lot of the meals at the nicer restaurants like Blue Bayou have meals can feed 2 people. My wife, 2yo and me usually buy 1 appetizer, 1 meal, and share. Blue Bayou split a bowl of soup 3 ways for us. At places around the park we will buy 1 kids meal and 1 adult meal and share. It saves a little money for other goodies. If it was just me and her, we could get by just buying 1 good meal and sharing. Also bringing a bottle of water and snacks will help save money too.

SCUBAbe
04-23-2004, 05:06 PM
I plan on $100.00 a day. We often spend way less. I'm not a morning person so we usually don't get there until noon....we'll have lunch or dinner..thats usually about $20.00 for both of us....a couple of sodas or water $12.00...and maybe a snack later $10.00.....we don't always by "stuff" because we go alot.....now we will be there this weekend and spending the night...so for the two days I have about $350.00 planned. ...I think it all depends on what you want from your trip. We went during the winter alot and sometimes I would only spend $25.00 all day other times it's way more...

Photographer
04-23-2004, 08:16 PM
The Blue Bayou restaurant overlooks Pirates of the Carribean, yes. And the Character Warehouse shop is on a strip mall along with a Marshall's and a Circuit City on Harbor Blvd, the cross street is Orangethorpe. Just ask someone to point you towards Fullerton on Harbor Blvd. It's a straight shot and it'll be on the right-hand side. :)