PDA

View Full Version : Why only fries?

MickeyD
10-23-2001, 04:45 PM
How come at places like the Harbor Gallery they only sell McDonald's french fries, and not any other food like burgers or something?

totbellhop
10-23-2001, 04:54 PM
(Homer[from the Simsons]tasting face):
Yum, delicious hamburguers, better yet Mcdonalds hamburguers, yum, and fries, hummm. Well enough with the drooling.

(Normal face again):
I always wondered that too, why not sell hamburguers, like at Burguer Invasion at DCA, not just that delicious, fried, and meticolous salted fries?
My dream of the best Disney restaurant is that they partner with Mcdonalds to make a themed restaurant(what theme? Go figure out) and they sell themed, delicious and dripping food, Yumm :rolleyes:

Napsto
10-23-2001, 06:03 PM
yea, that is pretty wack that they don't sell some burgers, ya know!!!!!! a big mac would be better than the burgers from tomorrowland terrace!!!!!!!!!

Ace
10-23-2001, 08:17 PM
ARE YOU GUYS INSANE??? You are aware that a McDonald's "burger" is like 10% "beef"? AND are you aware that Disneyland wouldn't want all those greasy "food" items running around the park, AND the smell of McDonalds in enough to make me puke. So remember, Disney made the right choice in not letting McDonalds "burgers" into the park.

totbellhop
10-23-2001, 08:22 PM
Hey, did you know that they sell hamburgers at the park?
Well at DCA, but it is the park.
I love the smell of Mcdonalds, or what do you prefer:
-Carl's Jr.
-Burger King
-Jack in the Box
-In and Out
They are the same for me. They all sell delicious food, yummy.

MickeyD
10-23-2001, 08:22 PM
We're all entitled to our own opinions, remember? And I'm not saying that I wish they sold McDonald's burgers there (it doesn't matter to me one way or the other), I just find it odd that they only sell fries. Why not sell some other type of food too?

Gemini Cricket
10-23-2001, 08:26 PM
Say... I just thought of something! Clarabelle is a cow. They sell burgers at Disneyland. Does that make her mad? If I was a cow, that would curdle my milk...:mad:

And another thing. French Fries. There's a singing potato at WDW's "Food Rocks" isn't there???:eek:

zapppop
10-23-2001, 08:55 PM
Just go across the street to get 'em.

It's not gonna take THAT long.

USofA
10-23-2001, 09:55 PM
if one thing frosts me more than anything it is people who bash on McDonalds beef. I don't now, but for 7 years i worked for McD's and there beef is 100% beef 90% lean or greater. If you dont think it tastes like real meat, you are probably so used to the cheap crap from the grocery store that you don't know what beef tastes like

zapppop
10-23-2001, 10:03 PM
What exactly makes McDonald's meat taste " different " from grocery meat ? Is the meat prepared differently ?

Darkbeer
10-23-2001, 10:30 PM
Could it be that French Fries are so CHEAP to make, how much are potato's by the pound in bulk????? Less staff, less area, more profit????

bluepearl
10-23-2001, 10:41 PM
It's not that I don't like McDonald's fries (I prefer them to any other fast food place out there), but passing by that wagon (is it still open? I can't remember even though I was there on Sunday) or Harbor Galley just kinda makes my stomach uneasy. I can smell the grease a mile away; I can't imagine what it's like to work in there. But I had no idea they only sold fries there (for $2.50 no less). That's interesting.

Morrigoon
10-24-2001, 12:44 AM
Then how come In-n-Out burgers taste so incredibly much better? And I'm talking purely about the patty here, the meat tastes much better at In-n-Out. Maybe that 90% lean is the problem. Fat is where the flavor is. Or maybe it's because McDonald's freezes their meat? (Does In-n-Out?) Or maybe because there's so bloody LITTLE of it in McD's burgers? Those patties are so thin, I can't believe pure beef would hold together.

But I'm straying off the topic:

DL's burgers used to be good, before they all went on the belt system. Once upon a time they used to cook the meat on an actual grill.

If they had any desire to serve a quality burger to their guests, they'd a)grill them again instead of the conveyor belt thing, and b) buy the bun recipe from Flakey Jakes.

I'd just as well see McDonald's OUT of the park. I'm glad they don't sell burgers there (yet).

tjrj
10-24-2001, 07:04 AM
Oh, I'm drooling here. Simply the mention of In-and-Out gets me. When we head to CA-one of our first stops must be In-And-Out. If not that, than Tommy's-oh, the chili cheese fries brings back high school memories. Sorry, off topic....

I'm not overly happy that McDonald's in any shape or form is in DL. I want a different, immersion(sp??) experience while at DL-not the same food that I can get at home. However, that's my opinion, to each his/her own. We just don't chose to patronize McDonald's while at DL.

hbquikcomjamesl
10-24-2001, 07:38 AM
Personally, I don't find McDonald's hamburgers unpleasant, and indeed, I've found a lot of hamburgers costing as much as ten times the price that don't taste as good. But I prefer In-N-Out, probably because (1) they don't freeze anything, (2) they make everything to order, (3) the patties are bigger, and (4) they have grilled onions.

The acid test of a hamburger, by the way, is how it tastes COMPLETELY AND UTTERLY PLAIN.

An idea:

Wouldn't it be nice if there was someplace in one park or the other (it might give me a reason to have lunch at Taste Pilots' Grill, for example) that offered authentic, made-to-order, Philadelphia steak sandwiches? Maybe something approaching the quality of what one can get from Philly's Best?

mad4mky
10-24-2001, 07:48 AM
When you have a kid who practically ONLY eats McDonald's french fries...I welcome the carts.

I suppose the reason they sell the fries only, is perhaps its their best seller? It's only one item...so easy to get out to the public? A great snack while you're walking...like popcorn? It's hard to eat a burger while walking. People like them? Fries only is hard to screw-up? Could be endless...

Gemini Cricket
10-24-2001, 08:56 AM
Here's why I think there's only fries:

French Fries = Salty
Salty = Thirsty
Thirsty = Buy a Coke
Coke = Product that Disneyland has that Disney doesn't have to pay for but gets all profits from.

Therefore,
French Fries = Disney $$$ ka-ching!

I guess they are very popular fries too. I wish fast food places would still sell those long, fat, crinkle cut ones.

dshimel
10-24-2001, 10:00 AM
As said before, McD burgers ARE 100% beef and very lean. The Big Mac and basic burgers are 1/10 lb. patties. Even with "two all beef patties", the Mac has less meat than a 1/4 pounder. The Mac is mostly bread, lettuce and thousand island dressing.

Also, grease has not been used in McD for many years. The fries are no cooked in beef-flavored vegitable oil.

I've not had an In-n-Out burger in a decade, but I remember it being very good. My now favorite burger is the $4, $6-Burger at Carl's Jr. Now that is a burger!

Speaking of which, I don't know why they don't sell McD butgers in the park, but I'm heading out to Carl's Jr. RIGHT NOW!!!!!!

Mouse
10-24-2001, 01:43 PM
I agree with Doc’s logic about fries=money.
Also there is a big difference between maintaining and operating a whole McDonald’s restaurant opposed to just a fry cart. As it is there are far less cast members working there then required in an all out restaurant. You might also consider that there are plenty of dinning locations in that area and I’m sure a McDonald’s would quickly rob other venues of there business.

SimpTwister
10-24-2001, 02:52 PM
I would think it's mainly because it they stick to just fries, they don't need to set up a grill.

I remember seeing McDonald's Express stands in malls, etc. that serve only fried menu items, but not burgers. Same reason.

I suppose it would be pretty easy add chicken nuggets, pies, even chicken and fish sandwiches (though buns take up a lot of space) to the fry locations.

D'oh! What an I saying? I don't want to give them any ideas!

McDonald's in DTD would be fine, but NOT IN DISNEYLAND!!!

Ace
10-24-2001, 06:31 PM
regarding the free Coke product thing...that can't be right. It wouldn't make any sense for Coke, economically.... how many people drink coke/sprite/ whatever for the first time at Disneyland, and then go out and but a lot of it? I doubt it.... there's no sense in that deal

Mouse
10-24-2001, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by Squinky
regarding the free Coke product thing...that can't be right. It wouldn't make any sense for Coke, economically.... how many people drink coke/sprite/ whatever for the first time at Disneyland, and then go out and but a lot of it? I doubt it.... there's no sense in that deal

Actually Coke is a product Disneyland receives no charge in exchange for dispensing it in cups with their name on it.

MickeyD
10-24-2001, 08:39 PM
A lot of large venues have the same deal with Coke.

innerSpaceman
10-24-2001, 08:41 PM
Not that Coca Cola needs any free publicity, but just about any company on earth would pay Disneyland to push their brand in the faces of its guests. As Coke is only giving away their product and not paying for placement in the Park, I'd say they've got a pretty good deal.

As for us lowly guests, I'd say drink prices in the Park are about the most rip-off items in a sea of rip-off items.

Nigel2
10-24-2001, 10:50 PM
Speaking of the fat content in McTasteless shoeleather's burgers:D sure the meat has no fat, but when you add in the processed cheese and other junk (Big mac I think) they found that it has the same amount of calories and fat(I am totally not kidding) as like 16 sirloin steaks (A serving is what I am guessing)