PDA

View Full Version : What can you do before official park opening?

espnmylife
04-22-2004, 08:17 AM
I haven't been to DL in over twelve years. I was wondering how early and how far do they let guests (not staying on property) into the park? In other words, are you able to get on Main Street prior to the official opening time? What about at CA?

Also, when does the Monorail start running. Are you able to enter DL from the Tomorrowland stop?

Finally, does the train operate before the official opening time?

Thanks in advance

ToursbabeC3po
04-22-2004, 09:23 AM
No attractions open until park opening. There are no soft openings anymore. Main street use to open for the rope drop but I have not even seen that lately. I would get some breakfast outside the park before going in to save some money$$$$ IT is good to go with a full tummy so you can have lots of fun all morning!

DL addict
04-22-2004, 12:59 PM
When we were there in March we were allowed to go down Main Street before the park officially opened. The gates opened 15-30 minutes before the park opened. I believe all the shops on Main Street were open at that time too.

Niwel
04-22-2004, 01:24 PM
Since you can no longer get in "early" everyday (if you go during the week off-season Main Street is open early) consider doing one or more of the following:
Go over to Whitewater Snacks at the Grand Californian and get some breakfast if you have time (enter the hotel near Sephora).
Go rent a locker to put all your purchases and jackets in (believe me it is a big help not having to shlep stuff around).
Go to the bathroom.
Go to the ATM

The monorail opens slightly before the park does (you see it passing overhead while you wait at the main gates). If Tomorrowland is your prefered starting point (once SM opens back up this might be the case) then the Monorail is a good idea. But check first because I've seen times where they make you show your room key in order to get in.

At DCA you can get in the "guest-only" entrance. I've never had to show a room key -- but that might not always be the case.

EdD
04-22-2004, 01:50 PM
The CM from Disney Vacation planning told me that Main Street opens 1/2 hour early when the park opens at 9am or later (thus 8:30am). I asked because the first day we will be "in the park" I wanted to take my 4yo to the Plaza Inn for charecter breakfast. Trying to get her to wait to eat till 9am would definetely not work (7am daily she is awake asking dad to make her breakfast, I don't need an alarm clock), but I can get her to last to 8:30am with a quick bowl of cheerios.

Too bad, I remember when the wife and I last stayed at the DLH, before DCA was even built, you used to get into the park an hour early as a hotel guest, and catch the monorail right at the hotel too.

Cancer Norm
04-22-2004, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by ToursbabeC3po
I would get some breakfast outside the park before going in to save some money$$$$ IT is good to go with a full tummy so you can have lots of fun all morning!

How dare you!! What is not fun about having some MickeyMouse Pancakes at the River Belle Terrace. That is loads of fun! However if you prefer an EggMcMuffin.......

DCAWhites
04-22-2004, 08:12 PM
I'll confirm they open main street one half hour before official park opening when the park opens at 9am or later. Plaza inn is open, as well as the resturant near the bakery i believe (not sure on that one). The rope prohibits you from leaving main street.

As for DCA, if you are a guest you can get a short tour of soarin from guest relations if you show up at the GCH hotel about 40 mins before opening. Then they open the main gate 30 mins prior to opening, with the sunshine plaza and soarin over ca both being open (FYI most of the time-if not all, fastpass at soarin is NOT available till 10). The three ropes are at the entrance to hollywood, entrance to bugs land, and right before the lockers in grizzly peak.