PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland Help Questions

Supermatt70
04-21-2004, 06:30 AM
Hello everyone! This is my first post and I'm going to Disneyland! Woo-hoo! :)

I don't see a trip planning section of the board and was hoping I could ask a couple of questions about my May trip? Please?

1) I saw in Monday's Disneyland update that there could be a showing of Believe on May 14 & 15. How accurate is that? Disneyland told me "No Believe showings" for my trip dates. Based on past Disneyland updates, should I view this info as some what solid?
2) Park restaurant recommendations other than Blue Bayou (which I have booked)? How is River Belle Terrace for breakfast? Or is Carnation Cafe a much better breakfast location? Any ideas for lunch or dinner? DCA?
And finally, :rolleyes:
3) Is pin trading still a big deal at Disneyland? (I'm from WDW.) If so, where is the place to be for pin trading and is there a better time to meet traders?
Thanks in advance for any help!
Matt

stan4d_steph
04-21-2004, 07:26 AM
Welcome to the board. There isn't a specific trip planning section, but you can often find answers to many questions by doing a search (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/search.php?).

1) The fireworks won't officially be returning until June. Soft-opening peformances aren't always a guarantee, so I would check the schedule when you arrive on those days, or ask at City Hall.

2) You'll get quite a lot of opinions on this question. You should check out the Review Section on MousePlanet (http://www.mouseplanet.com/cgi/reviews/do/find.cgi) for reviews on many of the eateries at DLR.

The nice thing about RiverBelle for breakfast is the view of the Rivers of America from the patio seating. It is also a counter service restaurant, whereas Carnation Cafe is table service.

3) Pin trading is still an activity at DL, especially for the hardcore fans. There is a pin shop in Tomorrowland with an area just outside that usually has several people looking over each other's collections.

PsychDoc
04-21-2004, 08:09 AM
I've eating at both Carnation and Riverbell a few times. I really enjoyed Carnation, especially at the end of the trip when I'm tired. It's nice to sit and be served. It's also cool to sit next to Mainstreet and people watch. The food was excellent (I usually don't like breakfast) and the prices weren't too bad either. Riverbell has good food as well. Usually I split with my daughter, the portions are pretty large. The prices are about the same for both. Also ate dinner there once, it was also pretty good. I really love Ariel's Gratto in DCA. For a character meal it's very reasonable in price. It's also sit down and the food it great too. I love sitting by the water. Usually eat lunch on our last day. Don't know why, also seems to end up that way. First day, lunch at Blue Bayeu. Second day, breakfast with Pooh and Dinner at Goofy's Kitchen. Last day, lunch with Ariel. As you can see, I love character meals. I have a 10 year old and a 1 1/2 year old. The baby loves Eyore. The first time we ate at Pooh she was 4 1/2 months old. She rubbed her face in his ears and was so excited. She's never been afraid of charcaters. She can say "Pooh" now too; it's so cute. I've eaten just about everywhere else (including Club 33) if you have any other questions.

PsychDoc
04-21-2004, 08:13 AM
One more note. If you're staying for a few days, especially at one of the resort hotels, I'd highly recomend La Brea Bakery for dinner. Two people can usually split a salad and sandwich. Food is excellent and very reasonable. We'll usually get it to go and take it back to the room and watch the fireworks or parade (depending on which hotel we're at) from the window. Much cheaper and faster than roomservice.

Photographer
04-21-2004, 08:38 AM
Hello there Supermatt! I personally like the River Belle for breakfast. Just beware of crows in trees and take cover under and umbrella. :eek: For lunch and dinner it depends on what you feel like. Plaza Pavillion (DL) offers fried chicken, penne and salads. They have some good kids meals too if you're not in the mood for a big meal.

If you're staying at the Resort or want a cheaper bite to eat, there's Croc's Bits and Bites at the Disneyland Hotel, outside near the arcade and Lost Bar. They have burgers and chicken fingers at a slightly lower price than inside the parks.

Have a great time. I'm jealous! :(

LSPoorEeyorick
04-21-2004, 09:11 AM
You've already got a PS for my #1 suggestion (Blue Bayou.)

I'll be the first (and probably not the last) on this thread to suggest Whitewater Snacks (in the Grand Californian) as the best inexpensive meal in the resort. Great burgers and sandwiches for reasonable prices, and a nice respite from the bustle of the parks.

I personally love getting a mid-afternoon protein snack at the Bengal Barbecue (in Adventureland.) My favorite is the bacon-wrapped asparagus spears, but everything is qute tasty.

The fresh sourdough bread bowls are offered at various places around the park (by the Boudin display at DCA, and a few of the restaurants in New Orleans Square) are very tasty, as are the various soups and chowders that fill them.

Storyteller's in the Grand Californian has tasty breakfast/dinner buffets that aren't often recommended around here. It's a nice atmosphere.

There are several not-must-see restaurants that are similar to WDW ones:
Plaza Inn mirrors Crystal Palace+Plaza Inn
Village Haus mirrors Pinocchio's Village Haus
Red Rocket's Pizza Port (despite tasty chicken caesar salads) mirrors Cosmic Ray's
The mexican food at El Rancho del Zocalo mirrors Pirata y el Perico somewhat, while the barbecue food there has no WDW counterpart.

Welcome to the Pad! I'm a long-time WDW-goer, but once I moved to LA I became a DL-passholder... so if you need any extra help or hints, please feel free to send me a Private Message through the board, I'm happy to help!

CarlieB
04-21-2004, 02:03 PM
I love the Carnation Cafe for breakfast. I like that it's table service, and the location is great for people watching and just soaking up the Main Street atmosphere:) The Mickey waffles are my favourite thing on the menu, and they also make a good vanilla latte.

downingfamily1
04-21-2004, 04:14 PM
I love Riverbelle Terrace. The Mickey Mouse pancakes are very tasty and the view from the tables outside is great. Whitewater Snacks and Red Rockets are good for lunch and dinner.

downingfamily1
04-21-2004, 04:19 PM
I almost forgot, there is a great little Mexican place in DCA that has the best nachos.