PDA

View Full Version : Security questions

Brookelh
10-23-2001, 06:23 AM
My family will be going to DL next month. I have read that due to heightened security, they are searching all bags as you enter the park. Is this true? Does it take forever? And does it mean that I can't "sneak in" snacks and water bottles for my kids?

zapppop
10-23-2001, 07:02 AM
Your bags will be checked everytime you enter a park at the resort, even if you've already been in the park earlier that day.

It shouldn't take too long. There are lots of guests waiting to enter so they can't take more than a minute. By best advice is to travel light so it won't take much time to check your bags and when your inside the park and plan to leave to go eat or whatever, get a locker. That way you won't have to be searched again.

I have brought food from outside the park and so far, no one has hassled me, so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

Water bottles should not be a problem.

Nigel2
10-23-2001, 11:39 AM
Depending on the age of the searher will usually depend on how throurogh they are. The youner ones actually look in every pocket of the bags so I would recomend traveling with things that lack tons of pockets.

Napsto
10-23-2001, 06:12 PM
intresting...

MammaSilva
10-23-2001, 06:25 PM
the security checks are a joke ok.....yeah it slows down the lines but unless you have a huge weapon in plain site they aren't going to find it....we had backpacks with bottled water and special snacks because my daughter is medically fragile and has a weird diet.. not one castmember said a word about any of it....oh but here is a neat trick..if you have park hopper passes.. go into DCA first.. the lines are soo short/fast then just go out the exit making sure to get stamped of course then go across to the same day re entry gate at Disneyland....there was never a line of more than two or three people.. while the regular gates had lines past the middle of the esplanade!

Dlandmom
10-23-2001, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by Nigel2
Depending on the age of the searher will usually depend on how throurogh they are. The youner ones actually look in every pocket of the bags so I would recomend traveling with things that lack tons of pockets.

Hadn't noticed that before, but you're actually right!

Brookelh, just bring whatever you would've brought before all this heightened security. I bring bottled water and snacks for my daughter all the time, and I've never been hassled about it. The searches do slow down the lines, but not by much. If you're really worried about the lines, then enter the park through the Monorail station at Downtown Disney...there's hardly ever a line there.

EandCDad
10-24-2001, 07:20 AM
Just add my comments to the consensus that you can bring in snacks and water bottles. I guess that DL does not consider them a big security risk, which is why they are not confiscated.;)

I would recommend having your bag open with all pockets unzipped and held out in front of you when you reach the "checker" (who stands about two feet in front of the turnstile). Despite the fact that they have signs and announce it, some people still get to the front with their bags jammed into their strollers or their backpacks still on their backs.

tabacco
10-24-2001, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by EandCDad
Just add my comments to the consensus that you can bring in snacks and water bottles. I guess that DL does not consider them a big security risk, which is why they are not confiscated.;)

Not unless you're a fan of the old Monty Python sketches :)

http://www.montypython.net/scripts/fruit.php

Sgt.: We haven't done them, have we? Right. Bananas. How to defend yourself against a man armed with a banana. Now you, come at me with this banana. Catch! Now, it's quite simple to defend yourself against a man armed with a banana. First of all you force him to drop the banana; then, second, you eat the banana, thus disarming him. You have now rendered him 'elpless.

Palin: Suppose he's got a bunch.

Sgt.: Shut up.

Sorry... now back on topic. I don't think they've ever minded you bringing food in, so long as you aren't walking int he gate with a McDonald's bag in hand and a cooler under your arm.

MammaSilva
10-24-2001, 09:19 PM
actually this summer (August) I did see small coolers and was amazed! we aren't just talking those little six pack soft sided ones that a lot of people stash under the strollers, but the next size up, in plain view...I did a double take the first time I saw that...but saw more than one so it wasn't a fluke either....but I wouldn't suggest it.. every thing says no outside food is permitted...if you have a few snacks and some water I don't see the castmembers hassling you .... the outside fast food...who knows?

Nigel2
10-24-2001, 11:01 PM
It surprises me that they don't ban any food from coming in, you could probably hide a weapon, or some bomb parts in various food items like a large bag of chips. Paranoid now?:D

jslivinski
10-31-2001, 10:43 AM
We were there a few weeks back, the security check was just a quick check of the backpack with a flashlight. No questions about food, didn't check if the water bottles had been opened, didn't check the bag on the back of the stroller.

blusilva
10-31-2001, 12:29 PM
Once, I had them search my purse so thoroughly they made me open my wallet. Another time, the guard made a comment about my cigarettes, saying there was no smoking in the park except in designated areas. I thought both of those incidents were completely inappropriate.

Last time I was there, I got a cursory glance at my backpack and the guard didn't even look in the main compartment. He just bounced it around in his hand and said "feels like a couple of bottles of water..."

ripplededge
10-31-2001, 10:02 PM
Just be happy your not backstage.
Security even more now kind of treats CM's like they are at the bottom of the food chain. It really ticks me off sometimes to watch how another Security CM treats a (different dept.) CM.
One girl from parades just came up to me and said "Are you gunna keep herding us like sheep, or what!" I was like... "uhhh I am just standing here checking to see if you have clearance."
But, then I asked for Cynthia Harriss to show her ID and she didn't even mind one bit... she just smiled and asked how I was doing. Maybe it all just depends on what mood you are in.
All I know is that it is really weird to have to show my ID when I am driving a Security tracker backstage and even wearing this pin that we have to check in & out every single day, to make sure that we aren't phony, and then to top it off get my tracker searched! But it's all good. Atleast people on the perimeter gates (Periphery) do their job right.