PDA

View Full Version : When is it worth it to buy an annual pass?

miss_sonja
04-20-2004, 07:41 PM
DH and I have decided we really enjoy DL vacations. We've been three times since the birth of our first DD 4 1/2 years ago. We last went in December, with family and our two DDs (had a great time, been meaning to write a trip report:-).

Anyway, I'm thinking we should get annual passes. Then, we could just get airfare (we're in Seattle, too far to drive realistically) and hotel. When does it pay?

Also, if we use regular park hoppers on our next trip (we usually do a package deal through Alaska Air or Disney Travel), can we upgrade to an annual pass? How much of a discount does that give you toward the pass?

Forgive me if this has come up; I did search the forum, but couldn't find anything recent on the subject.

Thanks for any tips!

Julia in Seattle

DisneyDustin22
04-20-2004, 08:00 PM
its worth it to get an AP when you realize you see Disneyland more than your friends and family. ;)

Bruce Bergman
04-20-2004, 08:51 PM
DH and I have decided we really enjoy DL vacations. We've been three times since the birth of our first DD 4 1/2 years ago. We last went in December, with family and our two DDs (had a great time, been meaning to write a trip report. :) )

Anyway, I'm thinking we should get annual passes. Then, we could just get airfare (we're in Seattle, too far to drive realistically) and hotel. When does it pay?

Last time I did the math, the break-even point was between 5 and 6 days in a calendar year - and it's a bit lower if you drive (or have a rental car at a motel without a shuttle) which means you need to pay for parking every day, versus getting a Premium Pass or a Deluxe with the parking add-on option.

They have raised the pass prices a bit, though it still makes sense over all. Two short vacations in a calendar year and it's paid for. ;)

And the merchandise & dining discounts lower the break-even point further, for some people who plan to drop some serious coin on food and a few big-ticket souveniers it makes more sense to buy a Premium Pass right off, so you can get the discounts for your whole stay, versus converting your tickets at the end.

Also, if we use regular park hoppers on our next trip (we usually do a package deal through Alaska Air or Disney Travel), can we upgrade to an annual pass? How much of a discount does that give you toward the pass?

You can upgrade your tickets to a pass that costs more than the face value of your tickets - meaning turning a 5-day ticket into a SoCal Pass that costs less won't work. The expiration date of your Pass will be back-dated to the first day you used the multi-day ticket.

Where this is desirable is if you want to convert your tickets to a Deluxe pass, and part of your visit is going to be on Blockout Days for a Deluxe pass - changing to a pass on the last day lets you come in on those blockout days. It also means that with a Premium or So-Cal Pass you have to plan ahead with a calendar before returning later in the year.

Premium Passes are the way to go - they have no blockout dates at all (unless it's a "hard-ticket" after hours event) and the discounts are a bit better.

As to buying your airfare alone (instead of in a package), you'd be surprised at the deals you can find if you have a chance to shop and plan 3 to 6 weeks ahead, and can meet the usual "stay over a Saturday night" type restrictions. If you find a great hotel deal and a great airfare at the same time, lock them down and start packing. :D

:fez: --<< Bruce >>--

miss_sonja
04-21-2004, 07:12 AM
Thanks Bruce for that reply. That's *just* what I needed to know. Now, I can start some serious trip planning:-).

And agreed, Dustin22:-)

Julia

sediment
04-21-2004, 09:25 AM
First, I feel the need to suggest a correction to Mr Bergman's post: "Calendar year" suggests a Jan 1 - Dec 31 period. It should be changed to "365-day period."

From such a ways away, it would probably be better to plan like this:
1. Late May 2004 trip.
2. December 2004 trip.
3. Early May 2005 trip.

Three trips on the same pass, two trips per year.

Then wait as long as you can stand it to buy annual passes on your next trip, for your next three trips. Say:
1. Mid-December 2005 trip.
2. May 2006 trip.
3. Early December 2006 trip.

For four hours longer on a plane, you can do WDW instead, and do the same thing with WDW annual passes. And do more Disney. Perhaps buy a timeshare. In SoCal, you'd probably have to take a break (Universal, SFMM, Knotts, Sea World, SD Zoo, beach, etc.) or make your trips shorter.

These strategies do tend to squeeze out any other vacation option, like Hawaii, Mexico, New Zealand, etc.