PDA

View Full Version : Once Upon A Time, In Anaheim

Andrew
10-22-2001, 11:06 PM
Anyone else see the "Disneyland 25th Anniversary" show on Vault Disney tonight? I alternated between laughing and crying throughout the show... sometimes I forget exactly how wonderful the park used to be.

1980 was a great year for Disneyland, but given a choice I'd have to pick a little later in the decade. Sometime after EO but before Star Tours (is my chronology right on that?), with America Sings and the new Fantasyland.

What would be your pick for when the park was at its best?

Gemini Cricket
10-22-2001, 11:42 PM
I did truly like the Disney Afternoon set up they had a while back. All of the characters were out and about. It was fun.

But the night I saw Fantasmic for the first time, I knew that this was by far one of the best things the park has done well in a while and ever since. That night I got to sit next to an Imagineer who helped build the dragon. Captain Hook's Ship blew me out of the water... Belle waved right at me... The crowd clapped for a long time... People were crying tears of joy. It was sheer magic.

stinkerbell
10-23-2001, 04:22 AM
I thought Tomorrowland in 1980 was the best--I loved it all. Then slightly later, I loved the Tron/People Mover/shrinking machine/skyway area so much. To me, at that age, that was Disneyland. That, plus the Electrical Parade. Okay, now I am sad. I'm sooooooo not into change......

Then in the late 80's as a teen, I saw several concerts there--The Jetts, Rick Astley, and I think Pebbles (although I think she was a fake/lip synch act at Tomorrowland). That era holds so many memories for me as well. But clearly, the 80's era Disneyland was pretty cool and that's when we had APs, so I might be prejudiced.

80S ERA
10-23-2001, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by stinkerbell
Then in the late 80's as a teen, I saw several concerts there--The Jetts, Rick Astley, and I think Pebbles (although I think she was a fake/lip synch act at Tomorrowland). That era holds so many memories for me as well. But clearly, the 80's era Disneyland was pretty cool and that's when we had APs, so I might be prejudiced.

I second (or third?) that! The 80's were Disneylands glory years through my eyes! That was when TL was white and blue - very patriotic and represented the cold-war / space race era.

I also had the chance to see the Jets. It seems like they were ALWAYS playing at Disneyland? I also had a chance to see Ready for the World.

innerSpaceman
10-23-2001, 09:05 AM
I did not have the privilege of visiting Disneyland during any of the living Walt years, and so cannot comment on any of those times (I imagine '59 and '67 would have been particularly good years).

In the 31 years I have been visiting the Park, the unquestioned post-Walt highlight was Disneyland's fabled 30th Year in 1985. Eisner & Co. had pretty recently come on the scene and were anxious to play with their great new toy. The Giftgiver Extraordinaire actually rewarded about every 5th guest with gifts, and wonderful old traditions were re-introduced: Barbershop quartets on Main Street, Shoot-outs near the Golden Horseshoe, Swiss Climbers on the Matterhorn, Mermaids in the Submarine Lagoon. Walt's Birthday featured one of the largest balloon releases in history, and the year was all capped off by the best Disneyland Birthday party ever: 24 hours of fun and excitement with a balloon release that topped the one for Walt's Birthday, and an amazing light-effect rainbow that stretched from the parking lot to Storybook Land from midnight to daybreak.

blusilva
10-23-2001, 09:28 AM
Innerspaceman, I've got to agree with you. The 30th Birthday Party was the most magical 24 hours ever at Disneyland.

Why haven't they done anything that spectacular since?

DisneylandKid
10-23-2001, 06:46 PM

Indy.
Fantasmic.
Old TL (though I like the new version)
Toontown.

As for the Resort, definitely 2001.

Don't ask.