PDA

View Full Version : Eisner not so bad?

BiggJakeMoney
10-22-2001, 09:25 PM
I just read an excerpt online from Premiere Magazine, and their "100 most powerful people in Hollywood" list. Eisner was #4, and under the "Yes it's true" portion of his entry, it says,

"Originally fought building the old-fashioned roller coaster and Ferris wheel that are now California Adventure’s signature attractions."

That got me thinking: either Eisner still has the creative itch in him, and wanted something a little more "Disney-quality" for DCA, instead of off-the-shelf carny rides,

-OR-

He, in his miserly ways, thought that the installations of the rollercoaster and ferris whell would be too costly, and wanted something even cheaper put in.

What do you think?

-BJM

P.S. Here's the link:

The 2001 Power List (http://www.premiere.com/Premiere/Special/Power2001/power1.html#4)

Nigel2
10-22-2001, 09:49 PM
Speaking of Eisner, his suite at the pond is right by a firend of mines, actually its about 5 feet away. I wont give the number out, unless someone can give me a compelling reason. But he seems like a nice person, but since he is a public figure I cant really say.

Morrigoon
10-22-2001, 10:11 PM
-OR-

He's been reading MP and is trying to "PR spin" his way out of the guilt for that atrocity across the esplanade

I knew people who were rubberheads. Eisner acts all buddy buddy with them on camera like he loves them so much, but as soon as the cameras stop rolling, he completely ignores them, doesn't give a d*mn.

He just has good PR people.

Nigel2
10-22-2001, 10:14 PM
I would say that, but there weren't any cameras on him and few people were focused on him since he came in during the concert. I just looked over and asked my friend "Is that who I think it is?" He said yeah, but Eisner shows up for major star concerts, like Striesand, Cher, and Bocelli.

SimpTwister
10-22-2001, 10:23 PM
When Eisner greenlights a quality new E-Ticket attraction (like Mansion, Indy, Splash, Pirates) at DLR, he may start to get my respect.

Sorry, ToT doesn't count. As much as I'm looking forward to it, it's been pretty much a given since DCA opened. It should have been there in the first place. Besides, it's a clone.

Oh, then there's Tomorrowland. As long as TL sits half empty, Eisner ain't doing his job.

9oldmen
10-23-2001, 08:22 AM
I remember reading that item in "Premiere" magazine. It's interesting, "Entertainment Weekly" just published there annual "Hollywood Power List", and I don't know where Eisner is on it now(Ron Meyer and Stacey Sneider of Universal topped the list), but there is a side-bar retrospective article showing how Eisner used to be quite a bit higher on the list back in the early nineties. (There is a picture of him holding a huge, then state-of-the-art cell phone.)

innerSpaceman
10-23-2001, 08:52 AM
According to a post above, Eisner "originally fought building the old-fashioned roller coaster and Ferris wheel that are now California Adventure’s signature attractions." Don't know if that's true (after all, there they are), but he certainly did oppose those two attractions when they were headed for WDW's Boardwalk, where they would have been much more appropriate, but never materialized.

Yes, Screamin' is a neat steel coaster cleverly disguised as a wooden oldy. But a ferris wheel and rollercoaster are throw-back rides that would be great as an addition to a themed resort, but are pathetic as centerpieces of a new theme park.

merlinjones
10-23-2001, 10:03 AM
Don't believe anything from the Anti-Walt Ministry of Propoganda.

Main Street Magic
10-23-2001, 02:26 PM
OK....now I don't want to sound real negative here (right!!) but I ran into Mr. Eisner several times during the previews of the broadway show Aida. He was surrounded by "go-fers" and "yes-men" and he really didn't give a darn about speaking to anyone outside the circle. We tried to let him know what we felt about the play and basically he ignored us. :o

BiggJakeMoney
10-23-2001, 06:50 PM
Sounds like Eisner needs an attitude adjustment. Or an ego-stripping. Or a demotion to popcorn vendor. Or something.

-BJM

Gauchograd99
10-23-2001, 07:41 PM
How does "all the above" sound in regards to what he needs? :)

BiggJakeMoney
10-23-2001, 10:03 PM
Sounds good. But on his little cardboard hat that he'll have to wear, the hat will have a small label that says, "Hi, my name is Michael Eisner, and I'm a bad CEO.

-BJM

SimpTwister
10-23-2001, 10:12 PM
LOL!

'This popcorn is cold!'

'You gave me the wrong change!'

'Who's your supervisor? I'd like to talk to him!'

If only there were justice in this world...