PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland Alone

Pages : [1] 2

MCComposer
04-19-2004, 10:45 PM
Probably a stupid question:
Has anyone gone to DLR alone?
Was it good, bad? would you recommend it?

The Mouse Is Back
04-19-2004, 10:51 PM
I have been to DL alone, and I love it! Of course, 99% of the time when I go, my daughter is with me, which means she has her own agenda. I rarely get to just wander through the shops or sit and people-watch, or ride the Mark Twain multiple times, etc., which are among my favorite activities.

So when I do get a chance to do that stuff, it's great!

:)

-Allegra-

TDBearGrrl
04-20-2004, 01:35 AM
I went to Disneyland alone for the first time on April 1st. I loved it. I got to do what I wanted, when I wanted. I got to sit and rest and relax and watch people. I love going with my friends and family, but going alone is great too. When you go with others, part of the fun is enjoying their company, when you go alone it is just you and the park. A totally different experience. Since that first trip I have already been back once - and all I did that trip was people watch. My partner is going to be out of town for the next two weekends and I am looking forward to at least one more solo trip.

Photographer
04-20-2004, 09:07 AM
Going to Disneyland alone is great fun. Sure being with yor friends has that extra element but you can do whatever you want, whenever you want. I used to sit near Main Street and just watch characters interact with people. Also in Pooh's Corner, great fun watching Tigger and Eyeore. Have a hilarious photo of Tigger with a little boy's shoe between his feet.

Also when you're alone it's easier to flirt with Cast Members. :)

Go! Enjoy!

NirvanaMan
04-20-2004, 09:12 AM
I've done it. When I did it because I had to as I was only in town briefly on business, it was OK...but when I started coming regularly it got to be not so fun. Plus you can't do any of the Fantasyland rides as all the CM's look at you as if you're creepy when you say you are just by yourself. That is always the hardest part, when you get to the front of the line and they ask how many in your party and you have to say one. I actually had a CM argue with me about that once. She asked how many, I said one. She said no, I need to know how many total. I said..yes, One. She said, no you don't understand, I need to know how many people are in your entire party. At this point I was feeling quite low and embarassed. "Yes, still just one"

The park alone can be quite lonely.

LSPoorEeyorick
04-20-2004, 09:17 AM
There are a lot of padders who go by themselves. Myself included (though to a lesser extent since I started going to meets.) I find it fun to take it easy, mosey about and peoplewatch. I was a little pink in the cheeks the first time I had to say "one, please," at Pinocchio's Daring Adventures, but then I got used to it and now I'm a happy single-rider.

Speaking of single-riding, the biggest plus to going by yourself (next to having your own preferred agenda) is being able to use the single-rider lines on rides like Indy, Splash, Screamin', Soarin' and presumably Tower, as it seats a specific # of people as well. Get a single-rider pass from the greeting CM at any of those rides, and you'll cut out 80% of the wait.

Quinten27
04-20-2004, 10:58 AM
I'd love to go to Disneyland alone sometime!!!!

Anyone want to come with me? ;)

DigitalLizard
04-20-2004, 02:12 PM
I wish I COULD go by myself...

The drive is a little long... 490 miles of desert!

But when someone hears I am planning to go
they ALWAYS talk me into having them go also!

:fez:

millionairegirl
04-20-2004, 02:19 PM
I had toyed with the idea of going to WDW for four-five days by myself. It sounded like an excellent idea at first.

But then I went to DL by myself to practice! Oh it was terrible. Yeah, it's fun getting to go where/when you want, but riding rides by yourself and eating alone was not so fun. I especially didn't like waiting in line by myself, I felt very lonely.

I usually like to be myself too, so I thought this was interesting. I guess I just like to share the Disney experience with people!

Quinten27
04-20-2004, 02:26 PM
I wish I COULD go by myself...

The drive is a little long... 490 miles of desert!
:fez:

You think that's bad? Try a 3,000+ mile drive! No way I'll be doing that alone anytime soon........

Eliza Hodgkins 1812
04-20-2004, 02:56 PM
Speaking of single-riding, the biggest plus to going by yourself (next to having your own preferred agenda) is being able to use the single-rider lines on rides like Indy, Splash, Screamin', Soarin' and presumably Tower, as it seats a specific # of people as well. Get a single-rider pass from the greeting CM at any of those rides, and you'll cut out 80% of the wait.

Our luck. It must have been!

I, of course, would never go to Disneyland by myself.

Because it would be too long of a walk.

disneyboy7
04-20-2004, 03:20 PM
I love going by myself. I went Easter weekend with my Mom, nephew (13) and half brother (16). My nephew had fun just riding attractions. My brother; however, had to try recording everything on a digital camera. He even turned the flood light on in Pirates. I had to explain that such behavior is inconsiderate of others. It's OK to go with family once in a while, but going without adult duties is better.
I haven't gone with a friend since 1887... I mean 1997.

Quinten27
04-20-2004, 03:30 PM
Because it would be too long of a walk.

No problem, I'll just pick you up on my way........if I leave now, I should be there in 5 or 10 days.........

Niwel
04-20-2004, 04:09 PM
I love going alone. If I didn't go alone, I'd never go (My family is content to go every 2-3 years).

I leave my house early and drive the 60 miles to the park. I always bring a Frapucchino, a paperback book and a small booklight (so I can read in line) plus I wear my not-sold-anymore Cinderella slipper pin (always a good topic of conversation).

I go where I want, when I want, as much or as little as I want. I never have to confer with someone if I decide to take the double-decker bus down Main Street instead of walking. I can people-watch while eating breakfast at the River Belle Terrace or lunch at the patio of the winery. I can see Golden Dreams for the umpteenth time (I still cry). I can spend an hour in Downtown Disney without worrying about other people wanting to go on an attraction. I can ALWAYS find room on a tram. ;)
I have stayed in Anaheim two times by myself at the Sheraton.

It is very different going with others (I have to remind myself to slow down). I do miss having people I know to talk with -- but it gives me a chance to talk to people in line.

Some people mentioned earlier how they sometimes felt ashamed of saying "party of one." Don't be embarrased -- be proud! Say it with a smile. Don't let the CMs make you feel bad -- it is usually because they are surprised to see a party of one. Congrats! You have the chutzpah to be at a family theme park without a family! :fez:

I think everyone should go to Disneyland by themselves at least once in their lives -- it is really a one-of-a-kind experience.

BTMichael
04-20-2004, 04:18 PM
Going solo is fun, in limited doses. My wife, DD and I have gone the last 6 summers in the July/August timeframe. Every afternoon my wife and DD head back to the shops or the hotel for a swim to get out of the summer heat. As such, I get to spend about 2-4 hours in the parks solo.

Some rides are fun solo, like Indy, Splash, Matterhorn and BTMRR, but many others are not so fun. I can't imagine going on Pirates or one of the Fantasyland rides like someone else mentioned alone. Going on Autopia is only fun when our DD is driving the car between my wife and I.

SweetAurora
04-20-2004, 04:47 PM
Blah...as outgoing as I am, I still can't go on rides alone. I dunno why!!!

However, I like to play by myself in the park when I can. I go shopping, get a Frappucino on Main Street, and try to stay in the peaceful places and enjoy the sweet magic that makes me love being at Disneyland.

I used to sit on a block of steps on the right side of the castle by Snow White's Wishing Well. I would write poetry there. All was peaceful and quaint, until the one time I nearly threw a kid over the drawbridge into the moat. The brat was throwing ink from his pen onto one of the poor swans.

Niwel
04-20-2004, 04:56 PM
Blah...as outgoing as I am, I still can't go on rides alone. I dunno why!!!

Start in small doses. Next time you go with a group, ask to sit by yourself. Then maybe split from the group and go on one ride in Fantasyland by yourself. You can do it SA, I know you can! :D

BELLEH5
04-20-2004, 05:37 PM
I love going by myself. I go to DL about once every 2 months. I drive all the way down on I-5 from Sacramento,Ca. It's soooo much fun. No one to tell what u can or can't do. Disneyland is ur playground!!!!

Dominguez Grove
04-21-2004, 12:12 AM
I've gone alone at times. Last time we were there, my wife and kids slept in and weren't ready to head out the (hotel) door until around 10:30. I got up early and headed out around 7am. I hung out in DTD until the park opened at 8, and then I wandered/explored until my family caught up with me around 11.

I'm hardcore about every little detail at DL. I like to read every single window on Main St. I like seek out the sites of the past (e.g. the Pirate Ship used to be here, the Barker Bird used to be there, The Indian Village was here, Walt Disney was photographed there). I've been known to offer sacrifices to the Tiki gods. I've been caught gambling on the Mark Twain. I've been seen making a jackass out of myself on Pinocchio's Daring Journey. :geek:

My point is this. My wife and kids don’t get in to it on this level, so it's great for me to have this time alone to indulge my Disneyland passion. It also allows me to get it out of my system, so I don't have to put my family through the agony of studying paint schemes on garbage cans.

Riding by yourself isn't that bad. I did seem to get the odd look now and then, but once a ride starts, it's usually so engrossing that you forget yourself and those around you.

In short, I doesn't bother me to go alone, but I admit, I have no pride.

BornieoTheLoveBug
04-21-2004, 12:58 AM
Since I have no friends I go by myself all the time.

I always enjoy the stares from people when I'm exiting a ride, laughing and chatering to myself.

LSPoorEeyorick
04-21-2004, 07:35 AM
Since I have no friends...

Bullflop!

stupid word limit kills jokes

Photographer
04-21-2004, 08:56 AM
Disneyland alone is fun. Don't worry about going on rides and saying "One." Live it up and when they ask you, "how many?" Yell MEEEEEEE! Talk to people in line, you may make new friends or at least laugh at their conversations. And best of all when you see and hear people complaining to one another...just think, I don't have to deal with that right now! :D

I went to WDW for an entire all by myself and only 2x did it actually set in.

Have fun.

Mr. Fusion
04-21-2004, 10:34 AM
Going to Disneyland alone almost every time, I've found I have an ongoing love-hate relationship with it. I hate the fact that I can't share my joy with anyone else, or even share in their joy. That being said, it gives you a lot of freedom to do as you wish when you wish. On a whim, you could leave Fantasmic to run off to Indiana Jones or any other attraction that might be crowded afterwards. No need to worry about your friend(s) getting lost either.

There's also a richer approach -- helping spread the magic to other guests. I'm sure everyone offers to take someone's picture every now and then, but I usually keep my eyes peeled for that sort of thing. If I'm standing in or near an attraction, I go into character, almost as if I was wearing a cast name tag. Take Indiana Jones for example. If I end up in the driver's seat, I'll talk to the other guests: "Umm, you may want to duck..." (while very animately dodging & ducking from invisible arrowheads), "Come on, Indy, jump in!" etc. I'll also help conduct traffic during Fantasmic if needed, or even give my all-time classic horror movie scream in Haunted Mansion that's sounds so cliched, you'll wonder when the lights come back on whether or not it came from me. There's much fun to be had, especially if you can bring a brighter smile to a stranger's face. :)

150cc
04-21-2004, 11:47 AM
I've always wanted to try going to the park alone, but I too have been a bit intimidated by going on rides by myself. I'd have a great time doing it, and there are plenty of times where I love being adventurous and going places by myself, eating by myself, and doing whatever I feel like. But still, you know you'll get looks, it's a bit "weird" to go to places like this by yourself.

Then again, as a young college guy, I could do it under the pretense of girl-watching.

I'm sure my girlfriend would LOVE that.

jazzjunkie
04-22-2004, 05:49 AM
Heh. 3rd time coming up this May! I spend about 5 days in DL every 6 months (yay for school vacations) , totally and utterly alone except for the occasional meet with NA and Cemeinke :D

Like posters above mentioned, there are 2 sides to it. I love doing the mocha ice-blend thing and people-watching, and no matter how many times I see it I still love that sketch in front of the Golden Horseshoe. Heh. I also love walking as fast/slowly as I want to, sitting idly for ages just doing... nothing. Sometimes I get a fastpass - then I decide not to use it. I eat at odd hours, and call it an early day if I feel like going back to the room for a snooze and some trashy TV. No one to make me feel guilty about getting my 'value for money'!

I don't get embarrassed when CMs ask how many in my party. However, I still don't have the guts to dine in the fancier sit-downs or character dining areas. Perhaps I'll save that for when/if I ever have kids ;)