PDA

View Full Version : How are crowds?

happyhaunts999
04-19-2004, 04:17 PM
Just wanted to know how crowds were today,as spring break is coming to an end. Lets keep this thread going to see how daily levels at both DCA and DL are. Wait ride times would be great in this thread as well. Please tell us anything you noted while visitng the park.

150cc
04-19-2004, 04:27 PM
I can't tell you about today, but Saturday they were surprisingly light. The rains in the morning (fairly fierce, by California standards, for a half-hour stretch) kept the crowds away. Matterhorn lines were about a half-hour or so all day (it broke down a LOT at night), same for Thunder. The Fantasyland dark rides were 15-30 minutes (Peter Pan the longest of course). Rides like Splash and Indy still had the typical hour-long wait, and it took about five hours to get a return on a Fastpass for Indy... but it was FAR less crowded than I expected.

cemeinke
04-19-2004, 09:55 PM
I was at the park this morning and the lines to get into Disneyland were surprisingly long - looked like a crowded day there for sure. Lines to DCA were light though.

The Mouse Is Back
04-19-2004, 10:56 PM
I was at the park this morning and the lines to get into Disneyland were surprisingly long - looked like a crowded day there for sure. Lines to DCA were light though.

Ugh, and we are going next Wednesday (28th) for two nights and three days. I'm almost wishing I would have booked for the week after ToT opens, thinking maybe that will pull some of the crowds away from DL.

I was sure that once the SoCal promotion and Spring break ended, the crowds would be lighter, guess I was wrong. :confused:

-Allegra-

MotorBoat Cruiser
04-19-2004, 11:30 PM
We got there at 8:30 on Sunday. The crowds seemed pretty light in the morning, at least compared to recently. By around 3 in the afternoon, they were pretty heavy though. Splash had about a 75 minute wait and Indy, around 45 minutes, each time we checked.

They were having problems scanning some of the SoCal AP's yesterday. They had problems with mine and said that it was a computer problem that they were working on. That may have made the lines at the gates longer than they should have been.

Kevy Baby
04-20-2004, 09:28 AM
Nobody goes to Disneyland anymore - it's too crowded.

Aimz
04-20-2004, 09:27 PM
I was there today, Tuesday the 20th, and it was very busy. We had chosen today to go figuring that the official spring break season was over as of last weekend, and had hoped it would be pretty light with crowds. But, it was much busier than I had expected it to be. We got there an hour before opening, around 9 am, and strolled through Downtown Disney for a bit and was amazed at how many people were already there doing the same thing. I last went to DL this last January, on a Monday, and almost no one was in Downtown Disney on that morning. When I saw how many were there today before the park opened, I knew I was in for a crowded day. Once we got inside DL, the crowds seemed pretty light and spread out from about 10-noon, but between noon and 1 pm the size doubled. I remember coming out of Pirates and wondering where all those people came from- they weren't there when I went in! It wasn't totally jammed, or anything near an average summer day, but there were a LOT of people there all the same so we had to do a lot of weaving when we walked. However, I think the longest wait time I ever saw posted was 45 minutes for Splash Mountain. We took advantage of Fastpass for a couple rides, and did standby for most- I think the longest we had to wait was about 30 minutes for Indiana Jones. We did get to do everything we wanted, and some of them more than once.

NirvanaMan
04-20-2004, 09:50 PM
They seemed pretty tasty to me. Defintely tastier than last weeks crowds. They were a little dry.

disneyboy7
04-22-2004, 07:24 AM
People may be using up the current 2fer promo. No?

happyhaunts999
04-22-2004, 09:32 AM
Yes, the 2fer ends at the end of the month.... So crowds may be heavier until then.

disneylandia
04-22-2004, 09:52 AM
I went yesterday (Wed the 21st) and it was great! Most lines for the "fast rides" (Matterhorn, Indy, Big Thunder, etc.) were 10 minutes mid-day, which usually is the busiest. Of course Fantasyland was packed, as it always seems to be. But it was so nice to walk around the rest of the park and not be in a crowd of wall-to-wall people.

The Mouse Is Back
04-22-2004, 02:33 PM
Thanks for posting that, Disneylandia. Also thanks to the padders who cleared up that 2-fer matter for me. Grr, I hope to gosh Cast Member Matt does something about the off-season promotions, perhaps allowing for at least SOME actual slow time before the attendance boosting gimmicks kick in.

=Allegra-

happyhaunts999
04-22-2004, 04:58 PM
Thanks for posting that, Disneylandia. Also thanks to the padders who cleared up that 2-fer matter for me. Grr, I hope to gosh Cast Member Matt does something about the off-season promotions, perhaps allowing for at least SOME actual slow time before the attendance boosting gimmicks kick in.

=Allegra-

I dont think that will ever happen they have to get people into the park all seasons in order to make money even if it means 2 for 1 sometimes.....

RickW
04-22-2004, 08:14 PM
I've been talking to people in my store this week (gift shop by the beach) and it seems that there are still some people out on Spring Break.

The Mouse Is Back
04-22-2004, 09:32 PM
I dont think that will ever happen they have to get people into the park all seasons in order to make money even if it means 2 for 1 sometimes.....

I'm not buying that they "have" to do that in order to make money. It's only in about the past ten years that the off-season has totally disappeared. Apparently Mikey Eisner wasn't happy with his annual bonuses.

Up until they started running non-stop promotions such as SoCal Resident Salute and now this 2-fer, there was actually a real off-season. It didn't matter to me, and I'm sure to a lot of other people, that there were a lot of attractions down for refurb, or even that DL often closed at 6:00 p.m. on weekdays. The payoff was that you could enjoy a quiet atmosphere in the Park.

Am I the only AP who has stopped going as often because of this change? The only thing I have to look forward to any more is rain.

-Allegra-

[Edited due to poor sentence construction - don't tell the nuns from elementary school! I hear they can come back from the grave with their rulers.]

ADMDBR
04-27-2004, 04:05 PM
Could someone give me a report as to how the crowds are today and for the next few days. I'm planning on taking my family + mother-in-law to DLR in about one year. I know this isn't scientific but I'm curious how the crowds are this time of year. Is spring break over yet? Thanks much for the help.

ADMDBR
05-02-2004, 06:22 AM
Could someone give me a report as to how the crowds are today and for the next few days. I'm planning on taking my family + mother-in-law to DLR in about one year. I know this isn't scientific but I'm curious how the crowds are this time of year. Is spring break over yet? Thanks.

PurpleDove33
05-02-2004, 06:31 AM
When I got home last night from my sister's, I was talking to a friend who was sitting waiting for fantasmic and he told me for a saturday it was pretty dead even for a warm day. I am not sure of that. But since maybe the word of mouth may get out that the TOT may have another soft opening today sometime that may change. Just be warned that it is suppose to be in the upper 90's today from what I saw on the news last night. I know I was there last sunday when at 11am they were saying it was 91 and of course by 2ish all the fast passes were gone for grizzly and the stand by line was 3 1/2 hours long. That is to long of a line for me. So hope for the best and have fun.

Lekta
05-02-2004, 09:25 AM
You would think that it would be pretty "light" in the parks up until May 5th. And, hopefully, the rush of crowds will die down by the 17th =P

cstephens
05-03-2004, 11:14 AM
Could someone give me a report as to how the crowds are today and for the next few days. I'm planning on taking my family + mother-in-law to DLR in about one year. I know this isn't scientific but I'm curious how the crowds are this time of year. Is spring break over yet? Thanks.

Keep in mind that crowd patterns this year might not match crowd patterns next year. It was very uncrowded on Sunday, but that was probably mostly because the Southern California 2fer ticket expired on April 30, 2004. The offer usually extends into mid-May at least, but it probably ended earlier this year because of the opening of Tower of Terror. Also, next year, early May will be the kick-off of the 50th celebration, so there could be more crowds then.

happyhaunts999
05-03-2004, 01:05 PM
anybody know how crowds were today @ both parks. I'll be there fom the 14-24 and just want to get an Idea of what the midweek crowds will be like.