PDA

View Full Version : 7 bodies of water at Disneyland?

MotorBoat Cruiser
04-19-2004, 02:18 PM
While at City hall yesterday, we were looking at the various documents on the wall. One of them proclaimed that, like our planet, Disneyland has 7 major bodies of water.

We figured that there is the following:

Sub Lagoon
Rivers Of America
Jungle Cruise

What else though? Keep in mind that the document was about Disneyland only, and not DCA.

We wondered if there is a difference between the sub lagoon and where the motorboats used to run. That would be 4. Would you consider IASW and Pirates? That would still leave one. We thought of Splash Mountain but I believe this document pre-dated Splash as well. I could be wrong though.

What are we missing? I have a feeling that the answer is going to be obvious. :)

Nephythys
04-19-2004, 02:22 PM
Maybe the Storybook Canal? Along with Pirates and Small World?

1-Pirates
2-IASW
3-Jungle Cruise
4- Storybook Canal
5-Rivers of America
6-Sub Lagoon
7-?? could be the moat around the Castle?

150cc
04-19-2004, 02:26 PM
-Storybook Canal
-Castle Moat
-King Triton's Lagoon
-Jungle Cruise
-Rivers of America
-Sub Lagoon

I can't think of the 7th.

sediment
04-19-2004, 02:27 PM
Ponds in front of Castle. Are they "major?

Kevy Baby
04-19-2004, 02:28 PM
Storybook Land Canal Boats
The water in front of Sleeping Beauty Castle (Swan Lake?)
The Moterboat Lagoon (is this even connected with the Sub Lagoon?)
Triton's Lagoon (I don't know the exact name of it)
The small body of water that you go over a bridge to get into Frontier Land

Zigen
04-19-2004, 02:33 PM
Small world?

150cc
04-19-2004, 02:33 PM
I don't think they'd include indoor rides like Pirates and Small World in those 7.

Morrigoon
04-19-2004, 03:04 PM
Motor boat lagoon is immediately adjacent to, but not the same as, the sub lagoon. Subs are a clear water attraction, motor boat cruise was a dark water attraction. I would be interested to know when the declaration was made, b/c the possible bodies change with that. Here's my guess though:

Castle Moat
Sub Lagoon
Motor Boat Lagoon
Jungle Cruise
ROA
That area along Big Thunder Trail (behind former Cascade Peak)
Water passing under the Frontierland bridge (though that could be construed to be moat)

smd4
04-19-2004, 03:59 PM
The motor boat cruise, castle moats, jungle cruise river and ROA are all one body of water...They are all connected.

Kevy Baby
04-19-2004, 04:18 PM
The motor boat cruise, castle moats, jungle cruise river and ROA are all one body of water...They are all connected.They may all be plumbed together underground, but I feel that they would still be considered separate bodies of water.

All of the oceans of the world all connected as well, but they are considered separate bodies of water.

BornieoTheLoveBug
04-19-2004, 09:58 PM
Originally Posted by smd4
The motor boat cruise, castle moats, jungle cruise river and ROA are all one body of water...They are all connected.

Back in the old days, according to some photos in E-Ticket, The moates by the castle ran from there to the front of Adventureland and Frontierland to the Jungle Cruise. (I guess until the Tiki Room was built.) From the Jungle cruise there was a waterway that lead to ROA, until NOS and the Tree House were built. There were airial photos in last years E-Ticket Magazine. :cool:

Not Afraid
04-19-2004, 10:33 PM
Storybookland Canal Boats
Submarine Lagoon
Motorboat Lagiin
Rivers of America
Jungle Cruise (Rivers of the World)
Castle Moat
Skull Rock Lagoon
Those would be the original 7, I believe.

There are others that came later - Pirates, IaSW, Splash, Triton's Garden but the were not there in the early days of the park.

So much depends on when the little blurb was written.

MotorBoat Cruiser
04-19-2004, 11:23 PM
And to think, I thought there was an easy answer ;)

Not Afraid, you do make a good point about the year. It would make everything easier to narrow down. We seem to think it was a 30 year anniversary commemoration of some sort. That would place it in 85. Then again, we read about 10 of these certificates there (They are pretty cool :)) so we might have our facts mixed up.

If it is 1985, that would be after the remodeling of Fantasyland, which would mean no skull rock, I believe.

Eh, the next time I'm there (monday), I will make sure to get the date. That should help us out. Unless of course, anyone is there sooner and wants to check. :) It is on the wall to the left as you enter City Hall.

ToursbabeC3po
04-20-2004, 12:35 AM
I know the seventh!!!! The flood in the ADA hallway of Star tours when it rains that they need to fix!!! That is a large body of water at least 3 inches lol

Tinker Bell
04-21-2004, 12:31 PM
I may have an idea on the miss 7th. I was reading Disneyland Detective and it said "Early in the rides history,bales of hay were putat the bottom to stop the ride. Walt liked the effect so much that the added a splash at the end of the ride.
The small body of water was named Alpine Lake".

JPIVERSON
04-21-2004, 02:50 PM
What about Splash Mountain? :D

Tinker Bell
04-21-2004, 07:47 PM
Did anyone get the date on the document?

MotorBoat Cruiser
04-27-2004, 09:53 AM
Did anyone get the date on the document?

I finally got the date. The document is from 1980 and states that there are 7 major bodies of water at Disneyland.

I think these are a given:

Rivers of America
Rivers of the World
Sub Lagoon
and possibly, the Motor Boat area.

The question is, do boat rides count? Are they really a major body of water?

One thing is for certain, Splash doesn't count, considering the date.

Not Afraid
04-27-2004, 11:27 AM
Caribbean, Rivers of America, Rivers of the World (Jungle), Undersea World, Storybook Land Canal Boats, It's a Small World.

The 7th could be either Castle Moat or Motorboat Cruise - but I can't fit them into the same "theme" as the others.:mad:

DonaldDuck14
04-27-2004, 11:54 AM
well ive heard how when walt disney opened It's a small world he got water from all of the 7 seas and poured all of it into the the water of It's a Small world when it opened. I don't know if that's true or not and i don't know if i answered the question or not...just thought i wouuld like to share.

Not Afraid
04-27-2004, 01:42 PM
well ive heard how when walt disney opened It's a small world he got water from all of the 7 seas and poured all of it into the the water of It's a Small world when it opened. I don't know if that's true or not and i don't know if i answered the question or not...just thought i wouuld like to share.
I'm not sure if that's exactly the way it went, but it was something like that.

That was enough for me to include IaSW on my list.

Tigertail777
04-27-2004, 02:15 PM
At the opening ceremony they had seven children dressed in costumes from the different nations they were from, each carrying a small bottle of water from the repective seas. Then they all poured the bottled water into the water on the ride (outside kinda by where the topiary animals are) next to Walt as reporters snapped away photos of the big event. Talk about a good publicity stunt!

cemeinke
04-27-2004, 06:11 PM
Since we are talking 1980, I believe the 7 bodies of water would be:

Rivers of America
Rivers of the World (AKA Jungle Cruise)
Submarine Lagoon
Motorboat Cruise waterway
Storybookland Canal Boat Water way
Captain Hooks Pirate Ship lagoon
Swan Lake (AKA Castle Moat)
Small World and Pirates wouldn't count as their "waterways" were mostly hidden in show buildings.