PDA

View Full Version : Qu for those who've ridden ToT

Pages : [1] 2

BJW
04-19-2004, 02:21 AM
Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question, it wasn't really my idea but my grandmothers. She wanted me to get your opinion on something. We will be going to the AP previews of ToT this month and she wanted to know your opinion on how bad the ride is. She is 72 years old but enjoys riding moderate thrill rides and wanted me to tell you the thrill rides she does ride:

DL: Pirates, Star Tours, Indiana Jones, Space Mtn (once, didn't enjoy jerkiness on some turns), Splash Mtn
DCA: Soarin, Sun Wheel, Orange Stinger, Golden Zephyr
SFMM: Gold Rusher, Ninja
USH: Tram Tour
SFMW: Wave Swinger, Jambo
PGA: Drop Zone Stunt Tower, Psycho Mouse
BG: Mushroom Swing, Quicksilver Mine Coaster (similar to Big Thunder)

Thanks for taking the time to read this and we would both appreciate your opinion.

ToursbabeC3po
04-19-2004, 03:58 AM
There is no Jerkiness but there is what I call a "shock factor" That is, the drop is not when you expect it. So if she has any heart conditions I would not recommend it.

Cadaverous Pallor
04-19-2004, 08:11 AM
This isn't a stupid question, it's a very smart one.

This is not a violent ride. Like ToursBabe said, it's more about the surprise. There were kids on it.

I'd say, if she can do Indy without a problem, she can do Tower. And if she likes the camel humps on Soarin', she'll love the air time on Tower.

I hope I'm still hitting the rides like this when I'm 72! How cool is that?! :fez:

MontanaKC
04-19-2004, 08:19 AM
I absolutely agree with CP above. If she can do Indy and Space Mountain, she can certainly handle ToT.

sediment
04-19-2004, 08:50 AM
I say, put her on the Maliboomer. That'll be the test.

Cadaverous Pallor
04-19-2004, 09:11 AM
I say, put her on the Maliboomer. That'll be the test.Not a bad idea, even though the rides differ a lot. The physical affects are somewhat similar, as well as the surprise factor, and the Maliboomer is very short, so if she HATES it, it wouldn't be a problem.

Just please remind her on the Maliboomer to keep her head back against the headrest when anticipating blast off. I've watched many people get their heads jerked forward (and experienced it myself, ouch) and it's not a pleasant experience. While ToT does go up and down, it doesn't do that to your head, which is why there's no need for headrests on that ride.

dude
04-19-2004, 09:13 AM
Maliboomer is jerkier than Tower. Tower is nice and smooth, but they do the drops when they aren't expected.

And of course, it wouldn't be Disney if they didn't deposit you into a gift shop afterwards...$13 for a 5x7 picutre, outrageous, but we got one anyway.

BJW
04-19-2004, 03:49 PM
Thanks for the responses, if anyone has anything else to add feel free to chime in. I really appreciate the help.

CarlieB
04-19-2004, 03:57 PM
How about if you're nervous around heights? I do Splash, Big Thunder and Matterhorn okay (and Soarin'), but you won't get me on the Sun Wheel or Screamin'. Would I be okay on ToT?

JenGood008
04-19-2004, 04:24 PM
[QUOTE=dude]Maliboomer is jerkier than Tower. Tower is nice and smooth, but they do the drops when they aren't expected.QUOTE]

This is very true. I HATE rides like Maliboomer, but I loved ToT. I think it's the whole feeling safe because you are in an enclosed space, as opposed to feeling like you are going to fly out of the Maliboomer.

Also, Indy is much jerkier than Tower, so if she is ok on those two, she would definitely have no problem. I think that it's worth going on once just to see the great effects even if you hate the drop sequence so much that you never go again :)

AP2CM
04-19-2004, 04:30 PM
I would say that as long as your grandmother is FREE of heart problems, neck problems, and claustrophobia she will be fine. She should also be able to cope with the good startle she will get from the first drop. It happens as you are looking at one of the effects and STILL catches me off guard (even though I've been on the ride 11 times)!!! Also, as with any elderly guest, always check the safety signage located in the attraction queue to make sure she's free of all conditions listed.

Sorry if I sound preachy, but after working for 3 years in City Hall, the politically correct "rules & regulations" stuff (for safety) is pretty much ingrained into me. :D

millionairegirl
04-19-2004, 04:43 PM
How about if you're nervous around heights? I do Splash, Big Thunder and Matterhorn okay (and Soarin'), but you won't get me on the Sun Wheel or Screamin'. Would I be okay on ToT?

You'll be fine CarlieB. I'd say it's more of a 'Splash' kind of drop. You don't know you're that high up until it's too late....

(Why does Screamin bother you? You're perfectly strapped in, and don't feel exposed like on maliboomer? But I guess no one can second guess other peoples fears)

CarlieB
04-19-2004, 04:48 PM
(Why does Screamin bother you? You're perfectly strapped in, and don't feel exposed like on maliboomer? But I guess no one can second guess other peoples fears)
It's mainly the upsidedown bit that worries me...I know it's over really fast, but it still worries me. I also tend to get motion sick sometimes (the only ride that's bothered me at DL though is Star Tours - I won't ride that again in a hurry!:p )

I'll have to wait and see about ToT. Part of me really wants to ride, and part of me is chicken:D How long does the drop part of the ride last for? If you really hated it, it would be over quite fast, right?

lisap
04-19-2004, 04:54 PM

I would have to disagree with millionairegirl a bit. I have a fear of heights, and can still stomach the sun wheel and Screaming--but I've tried the Maliboomer once, and TOT in Fla once and that was quite enough for me. However,I think you should steel yourself and give it a try at least once, Carlie--it's a very cool show experience, and like someone above said--it's over very quickly.

People with a fear of heights don't enjoy that insecure, "air time" feeling, no matter how cool the rest of the ride is, and that usually doesn't fade with repeat tries ( at least it does not for me. I still get a bit panicky on the last Splash drop after many years.) Bring someone in the queue that will encourage and cheer you on. Then you can say "dang, I'll never do that again, but hey--now I know what everyone's talking about!" :)

cstephens
04-19-2004, 05:07 PM
BJW - Don't know whether this is a concern for your grandmother, but thought I'd mention it. There are two loading platforms in the attraction, one which is on ground level and one which is accessible after you climb a flight of stairs and then after the ride, you have to climb back down the stairs. If it's a concern, you might ask to be allowed to use the loading platform that doesn't involve stairs. I rode it once using the stairs side and once using the non-stairs side, and since stairs can be a bit of a problem for me, it was definitely easier using the non-stairs side. I expect I'll be asking to use the non-stairs side on future visits.

In case anyone thinks it's a spoiler, I'll include in spoiler tags which side is which.

When you're in the lobby area, you'll reach a podium. If they send you left, that'll lead to the stairs platform. If you go to the right, though, that's the non-stairs side.

CarlieB
04-19-2004, 05:07 PM
People with a fear of heights don't enjoy that insecure, "air time" feeling, no matter how cool the rest of the ride is, and that usually doesn't fade with repeat tries ( at least it does not for me. I still get a bit panicky on the last Splash drop after many years.)
I couldn't agree more. I always have to make myself go on Splash for the first time, to remind myself it's not that bad...and even when I remember, that final climb in Splash always makes me nervous. I understand you are somewhat enclosed in ToT, which might make it easier. I could never do the Maliboomer, because of not feeling entirely enclosed in the ride while being up high.

Actually, the things I'm worst on are long escalators (or escalators which are high above the ground). They really freak me out:(

AP2CM
04-19-2004, 05:56 PM
I'll have to wait and see about ToT. Part of me really wants to ride, and part of me is chicken:D How long does the drop part of the ride last for? If you really hated it, it would be over quite fast, right?

The drop sequence lasts about...90 seconds. The current profile (that's WDI- speak for "drop sequence") has 5 drops and two STRONG climbs from what I can remember from my 11 times on the ride.

WARNING!! SPOILERS BELOW IF YOU HAVENT BEEN ON THE RIDE!!

It starts out with one suprising drop, then another almost immediately. Then you climb to the top, shake a bit, then drop again after your picture is taken (about twice as far as the 1st two). You then climb a bit and drop a third time. From here, you do a POWERFUL climb, do another drop, then you climb again POWERFULLY to the very top (nice view!). Hang there for about 3 seconds, the elevator shakes a bit, and then you plummet to the bottom (the famed "13 story drop"). After that, the ride is done.

All of this takes about 90 seconds or so and is wicked fun. :) I hope this helps you decide.

By the way, I DO NOT like freefall rides at all (I WILL NOT GO ON SUPERMAN at Six Flags, not will I ride Free Fall or anything like it). However, after being rediculously nervous in line while waiting to ride ToT for the first time last Friday, I can tell you that I went from VERY nevous to having a smiling, screaming time by the second drop. Now, I'm happy to say, the Tower has me hooked! :)

MonorailMan
04-19-2004, 07:57 PM
Feels like mom is in the same boat, but she wants to suck in the rich theming and details of the lobby, and boiler room!

Any chance that a bellhop will let her use the exit before boarding?

donatello3000
04-19-2004, 08:01 PM
And if she likes the camel humps on Soarin'

Wha? :eek: When did they add this? Woohoo! I was waiting until they made the ride a bit more turbulent like the other simulator rides. :D

Sorry, I just had to. ;)

DCACM
04-19-2004, 08:28 PM
Of course they'll let you exit before boarding, they can't force anyone to ride. Just let them know ahead of time so they can properly load their elevator.

sjcivilady
04-19-2004, 08:38 PM
Perhaps the shorter falls get you ready for the long one at the end?
I was able to force myself to go on Splash Mtn, because I watched it and counted the seconds it took to get to the bottom - figured I could handle two seconds (I hate that kind of drop - but also hate being a wuss). So I'm looking forward to ToT - thanks for all the comments comparing it to rides like Space Mtn, etc.- helped me decide to try it for sure.

leota's necklace
04-19-2004, 10:35 PM

I feel much the same way: hated the Maliboomer (due to the exposure) and feel pretty yammy on the Sun Wheel. My ride on the Tower made me brave enough to try Screamin' :) (Although I was only able to do it at night, and had to concentrate very hard on not looking at the ride vehicles zooming overhead as I waited in line.)

You really don't feel like you are "up high", that much. You do get a glimpse of the Parks from the top of the ride, but the thrill is in zooming up and down the elevator shaft.

It scared the beejezus out of me, but in a good way. I might ride it again, on a brave day :)

BJW
04-20-2004, 06:50 PM
Thank you all again for the comments and for the tremendous response to this thread! Every little bit helps.

MeganPierce
04-20-2004, 07:02 PM
I rode TOT in WDW not DL on 2 different occassions. The first time there was only one drop. The next time I went back there were multiple ups and downs in the ride. To tell you the truth I love everything about the TOT but the ride. I scares me to death!! I do not like the type that "shot you up" like the Big Shot at the Statosphere in Las Vegas (I am guessing the Maliboomer is similar to this). I however am a huge roller coaster junkie though. I don't think that this ride would interfere with most minor health problems except if you have a bad back or a "bad ticker" because it is really scary when the "elevator" drops. I get that feeling like my heart is in my throat! If I remember correctly at WDW there was a "chicken exit" near the loading zone so if she decides not to ride at least she can go through what I think is the neatest part of the whole ride, the que.

Hope this helps.

Megan
DL first timer in May 2004
WDW 1991, 1996, 1999

Cadaverous Pallor
04-20-2004, 09:28 PM
Wha? :eek: When did they add this? Woohoo! I was waiting until they made the ride a bit more turbulent like the other simulator rides. :D

Sorry, I just had to. ;)Oops. :fez: