PDA

View Full Version : Smoking banned, Stroller size limits, other rule changes for parks

daveywest
03-28-2019, 08:24 AM
https://www.sltrib.com/news/nation-world/2019/03/28/disney-is-banning-smoking/

In park smoking areas will be eliminated. No loose ice in cooler bags or dry ice allowed. (I assume this means frozen ice packs are still ok.)

Strollers limited to 31" wide and 52" long and no more wagons after May 1.

daveywest
03-28-2019, 08:26 AM
Another link specifically about stroller sizes: https://www.ocregister.com/2019/03/28/disneyland-tightens-stroller-size-restrictions-ahead-of-star-wars-galaxys-edge-grand-opening/

olegc
03-28-2019, 10:31 AM
MousePlanet has extensive writeups as well on no-smoking, strollers, Stardust updates, Batuu updates, etc.

sjhanksaz
03-29-2019, 06:06 PM
It's about time, some of the strollers that have shown up there have been on shall I say larger size.

I am a tall guy and sometimes it's tough to see them, or shall I say parts of them. Almost tripped a few times over them.

Tinker44
03-30-2019, 08:10 PM
The smoking ban is way WAY overdue and I am so glad it's FINALLY being put in place. I'll admit that I have not read the write-ups, but I do hope it includes e-cigarettes and vaping products as they can smell kust as bad (and be just as dangerous) second-handas actual cigarette products.

JeffG
03-31-2019, 11:40 AM
The smoking ban is way WAY overdue and I am so glad it's FINALLY being put in place. I'll admit that I have not read the write-ups, but I do hope it includes e-cigarettes and vaping products as they can smell kust as bad (and be just as dangerous) second-handas actual cigarette products.

It does include vaping as well.

cstephens
03-31-2019, 05:03 PM
I'll admit that I have not read the write-ups, but I do hope it includes e-cigarettes and vaping products as they can smell kust as bad (and be just as dangerous) second-handas actual cigarette products.

I've found that most if not all places that have some kind of restriction on smoking include e-cigarettes and vaping products, though some who use the latter two often argue that those products are not included.

Berry Princess
03-31-2019, 07:41 PM
When the vaping fad started up it was said those that did it would have to do it in the smoking only sections. So it would have to keep to it. Sadly though we all know not everyone follows these rules. I know we have seen it happen a few times in the parks in different areas it shouldn't. Just like the "stroller" wagons. Just because it says stroller doesn't mean it is allowed. More so when it really is a wagon. :eyeroll: Never will understand the need for that or the giant oversized strollers that have been the fads at times. No one really needs to pack as much as some think they do for the day. I've done it with 3 kids, regular sized stroller and never overpacked. Didn't want to drag around more then I knew we needed. Now if they would do something with the people that are obviously bringing in their pet dog and not a real service animal that would be great. We have seen more and more as the years have gone on (some pushed in strollers, ones barking at the ducks, etc).

1claire
03-31-2019, 10:32 PM
Thank you for sharing this information, it is necessary for as to know the rules and regulations of the theme park.

Kikdenn
04-01-2019, 06:28 AM
Today’s update mentions that glider boards attached to strollers will be prohibited beginning May 1st. I didn’t see any mention of this in the Disney announcent, Disney Mom’s Panel page, or any of the news outlets. Does anyone know the source for this?

Berry Princess
04-01-2019, 08:09 AM
Today’s update mentions that glider boards attached to strollers will be prohibited beginning May 1st. I didn’t see any mention of this in the Disney announcent, Disney Mom’s Panel page, or any of the news outlets. Does anyone know the source for this?

I think I have just read it here in the updates on rules last week. Yet it makes perfect sense. They are saying anything that extends the size of strollers and ECVs are not allowed if I read it all right with the updates. If someone has any sort of item on either strollers or ECVs it will make it longer in length or wider then the rules state. I trust Mouseplanet with what the rules will be over some of the news sources out there. I haven't seen the site put anything up unless its legit...unlike some sites and news sources when it come to Disney.

Malcon10t
04-01-2019, 08:16 AM

It is there. You can't have anything "towed" behind the stroller. This covers the glider boards. https://disneyland.disney.go.com/park-rules/

cstephens
04-01-2019, 10:40 AM
Never will understand the need for that or the giant oversized strollers that have been the fads at times. No one really needs to pack as much as some think they do for the day.

Not a parent, and I've seen the explanation for why some people want the wagon-like strollers is that it's easier for their kid(s) to nap than in a regular stroller because they can actually lay down. I get that it makes it easier for the parents but it seems that it's at the expense of more crowded walkways because the parents don't want to stop and give their kids a nap break. When I had friends with small children, it was definitely a different day in the parks than when there were no kids in our group. But we understood that. We did have the benefit of being APs though, and parents on day tickets are trying to get the most out of their visit, but I do think there's a balance between doing as much as you can and not over-stressing yourself and over-stimulating the kids and not bringing a portable closet/bed with you.

Berry Princess
04-01-2019, 11:49 AM
Not a parent, and I've seen the explanation for why some people want the wagon-like strollers is that it's easier for their kid(s) to nap than in a regular stroller because they can actually lay down. I get that it makes it easier for the parents but it seems that it's at the expense of more crowded walkways because the parents don't want to stop and give their kids a nap break. When I had friends with small children, it was definitely a different day in the parks than when there were no kids in our group. But we understood that. We did have the benefit of being APs though, and parents on day tickets are trying to get the most out of their visit, but I do think there's a balance between doing as much as you can and not over-stressing yourself and over-stimulating the kids and not bringing a portable closet/bed with you.

I have 3 kids so I know how it is with strollers. Mine have never had issues with napping in strollers that had the seat lay back. Toss a blanket over it and they were shaded completely as well. IMO its excuses some will use on why its needed. I know we always had the regular sized strollers that were light in weight, easily fold-able and to maneuver around any place we used it in. As a parent it makes life easier when its like that and not following the latest fad in strollers since most of those never allow for any of that. I get wanting to make the most of the day when one is on a day ticket or some other ticket that isn't an AP but at the same time I think some make it so much harder on themselves in using things that are bigger then need be for strollers and overpacking too. It can be a learning experience though for some in this area.

deedee73
04-01-2019, 06:11 PM
What confuses me is those strollers that have the glider board built in...I know my friend had one when their kids were smaller - I think it was called the sit and stand. Are these types also now banned. As I recall it was very compact.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

AnotherJenny
04-01-2019, 07:23 PM
I was just there today. It seems like many of the larger strollers are occupied by older kids. If there is a medical need that's met by a stroller and not a wheelchair then maybe Disney can tag the larger strollers and allow some. Or if a family has several small children and few adults maybe their double stroller can be tagged and allowed on a case by case basis.

Berry Princess
04-02-2019, 08:18 AM
I was just there today. It seems like many of the larger strollers are occupied by older kids. If there is a medical need that's met by a stroller and not a wheelchair then maybe Disney can tag the larger strollers and allow some. Or if a family has several small children and few adults maybe their double stroller can be tagged and allowed on a case by case basis.

I think Disney already said they would make exceptions on a case by case when it came to the medical needs on those larger ones. Which most of those are little different then normal strollers at times. Yet with double strollers some of those are just beyond insane in size because many get side by side style ones. Which I can't imagine its easy to maneuver. I am sure there will some way to work things out as needed but just hopefully we don't see many try to take advantage of things.

cstephens
04-02-2019, 01:28 PM
I think Disney already said they would make exceptions on a case by case when it came to the medical needs on those larger ones. Which most of those are little different then normal strollers at times. Yet with double strollers some of those are just beyond insane in size because many get side by side style ones. Which I can't imagine its easy to maneuver. I am sure there will some way to work things out as needed but just hopefully we don't see many try to take advantage of things.

I've seen a stroller at the resort that's a triple stroller, all the seats in a row, like stadium seating. The triplets were cute. I would think they'd make an exception for something like that. It was still a stroller and there was a clear necessity for one, and I think that might be the difference - it's still a stroller rather than being a wagon or SUV-type contraption.

Berry Princess
04-02-2019, 01:49 PM
I've seen a stroller at the resort that's a triple stroller, all the seats in a row, like stadium seating. The triplets were cute. I would think they'd make an exception for something like that. It was still a stroller and there was a clear necessity for one, and I think that might be the difference - it's still a stroller rather than being a wagon or SUV-type contraption.

Agree. I think they would in cases like that. Especially since its in a row and not going across so width on it would be taken out of the equation. But families that totally need the longer extended ones like that, I can see some exceptions here and there for them. Its understandable I think.

NickP
04-02-2019, 02:58 PM
Since this announcement smokers have been way more tolerant and understanding about their rule vs. mothers about the stroller/wagon rule, sheesh.

candles71
04-02-2019, 04:24 PM
We have seen a 5 in a row and a 2x3 row one. With kidlets. We were discussing them specifically. I was hoping they'd get an exception, Whistler is more of the exceptions open the door to other people breaking the rules because so and so did it.

Actually Nick, I've noticed the same thing on FB. There were kust a few smokers complaining but the stroller crowd (Keenz Wagon)....yeesh.

Berry Princess
04-02-2019, 05:09 PM
We have seen a 5 in a row and a 2x3 row one. With kidlets. We were discussing them specifically. I was hoping they'd get an exception, Whistler is more of the exceptions open the door to other people breaking the rules because so and so did it.

Actually Nick, I've noticed the same thing on FB. There were kust a few smokers complaining but the stroller crowd (Keenz Wagon)....yeesh.

I am not surprised that the "stroller" wagon crowd is more in uproar on this. They all bought into a trend and paid a lot of money to be one of those that had it. Yet they should have been told from the get go no on bringing them because they are nothing more then an overpriced wagon that someone slapped the word stroller to. So now they have to go buy a new stroller that will fit the requirements in size or they will have to rent a stroller (doubt most of them will do that). If they want to go use the wagon they can go to Knotts where it has always been welcome instead....unless they have changed that rule.

AnotherJenny
04-02-2019, 05:55 PM
Most people will have no clue that their wagon has been banned until they show up with it in May.

Berry Princess
04-02-2019, 06:33 PM
Most people will have no clue that their wagon has been banned until they show up with it in May.

And how many will claim they didn't know but actually did trying to get away with it? :p:eyeroll: