PDA

View Full Version : Wot no Rocket Rods ?

blondiemouse
04-17-2004, 02:06 PM
We have just watched a really interesting video of said attraction over at Visions Fantastic (great site guys-keep up the good work) .What happened to this attraction ? ,are there any plans to use the track ? - Along with the subs surely this area should be used for something .Having seen also the people mover video you start to realise just how cool Tomorrowland was ,these attractions or at least something deserves to be in their place. :rolleyes: :D

Forbin
04-17-2004, 02:12 PM
I will make the assumption that you don't follow this board a lot as like every 10 threads are about Rocket Rods...hehe

Rocket Rods were poorly thought through and built on a very flimsy platform. The upper management pushed this attraction through even though it was going to be very expensive to maintain.(It broke down every 3 days) They ran for a total of 6 months before they finally just shut the whole thing down.

They are planning to replace it with Buzz Lightyear's Adventure but that won't be at least for another year. Right now Tommorrow land is a veritable ghost town because 2 E-Ticket rides are down (Rockets and Space Mountain) and another e-Ticket sorta just sputtered (Innoventions).

blondiemouse
04-17-2004, 02:28 PM
Actually its more the case that having finally visited the place in the last month the discussions here are finally making sense.Believe it or not in its present state Tomorrowland slaughters Discoverland in Paris (yes I REALLY do mean that ) but it does seem odd to have a large track doing nothing.Honestly on our trips to Paris we spend little time in Discoveryland (after the first time like zero time) , some bright spark even made our Space Mountain a big mean ride that the kids can't even go on,Tomorrowland we naturally assumed therefore would not be for us but I felt it could be really cool with these other closed things up and running or something in their place.

Ace
04-17-2004, 03:18 PM
THIS IS A NEW AND EXCITING THREAD

hehe ;-) ;-) ;-O :-0

Not Afraid
04-17-2004, 04:21 PM
Believe it or not in its present state Tomorrowland slaughters Discoverland in Paris (yes I REALLY do mean that ) but it does seem odd to have a large track doing nothing.
Our Tomorrowland - I mean the sad, sad, place at Disneyland - pales in comparison to Discoveryland.

No. It is nonexistant compared to Discoveryland.

There are things to do, places to go, attractions to experience at DLP. TL in DL has NOTHING except HISTA, Auto, ST and Astro (and I will NOT count Innoventions as an attraction):mad: . It is a ruined shell of it's former self.

Heck, DLP has a Submarine attraction and, while different than our long lost suba, it's really cool and beautiful.

It is inconceivable that anyone could fine Disneyland's Tomorrowland even the same as DLP's Discoveryland, let alone better.

:confused: :confused:

sleepyjeff
04-17-2004, 06:31 PM
Our Tomorrowland - I mean the sad, sad, place at Disneyland - pales in comparison to Discoveryland.

No. It is nonexistant compared to Discoveryland.

Hear, Hear!!

The sad, sad, place at Disneyland used to be(IMHO) the best place. What happened? It was murder I say. Someone decided to close the Submarine Voyage and replace it with nothing. Someone decided to close the skyway and replace it with nothing. Someone decided to close Mission to Mars and replace it with a restuarant of questionable quality, someone decided to close down not one, but two attractions(Circle vision and Peoplemover) in order to open a single attraction(rocket rods) which in turn was closed down itself less than two years later :eek: .

But wait it gets worse. This same somone, in his infinite wisdom thought, why not move the central ride, the ride in which all others surround, why not spend millions of dollars moving it to Main St. USA. .......The sad, sad place at Disneyland was murdered........beyond recognition.

:crying:

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
04-17-2004, 09:05 PM
After reading the responses to this thread, I am scared to even enter Tomorrowland when we go next month! :eek:

Forbin
04-17-2004, 10:15 PM
Why? The rides that are left are good...but yah they had to move The rocket ride to main street so that rocket rods had a loading ramp...

We all know who's fault Rocket Rods is......hehe...the one guy who took all the credit for it when it opened......hmmm...who can it be?

blondiemouse
04-17-2004, 11:09 PM
Its inconceivable (to you ) yet true that somebody prefers Tomorrowland to Discoveryland , but I'll try and tell you why .Now before I go any further I'm not trying to say "Tomorrowland it rules" or even "Tomorrowland its okay",I just found it had like 3 things for us to do whilst Discoverland had like 1.We can't ride Star Tours (motion sickness-done it once never again),Honey I Shrunk The Audience I wouldn't bother repeating alot,the Visionarium or whatever its called - wouldn't bother repeating ,I've been to Paris 3 times at different times of the year and the Captain Nemo sub thing (that isn't a ride ) has never been open (unless it just sits there doing nothing),Paris Autopia - never been open, Space Mountain - the children can't ride it their too short.That leaves one attraction for us Astro Orbitor.Your Tomorrowland has also Autopia (I apologise to Paris if theirs is now open but it never did when I was there) and the Monorail -there you go ,not by much but the ghost town beats the ghost town

zapppop
04-18-2004, 02:11 AM
The Autopia in Discoveryland is seasonal. If you go to Marne La Vallee in the summer, you'll get to ride it. I don't understand how you get motion sickness on Star Tours and not on Autopia & The Monorail since both move you around side to side and bounce quite a bit.

blondiemouse
04-18-2004, 05:47 AM
Believe me, the motion sickness is for real and that's for all 4 of us. It really made me enter Soarin' with real trepadation 'cos I thought "If we can't do Star Tours this must be a bad idea". It's nothing against Star Tours either,I think it's great fun, but we managed it twice as a family and I went on once on my own I came off both times sweating, shaking thinking "whoops' oh dear gonna hurl chunks". Went back to Paris 2 more times, didn't wanna repeat the experience and didn't bother with it the other week in Anaheim-makes me feel a little unsure about Back To The Future when we go to Universal next year :rolleyes:

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
04-18-2004, 12:41 PM
Driving a car (Autopia) or riding on the monorail is no comparison to Star Tours as far as motion sickness goes. I can ride Screamin', all the other E-tickets, but I cannot do things as simple as Star Tours or the Tea Cups.
The rockets were already moved just outside of Star Tours when I was there last. My 2yo loved them, he was 13 months at the time and rode it with my husband. I am sure that will be a hit again this visit.

Forbin
04-18-2004, 07:38 PM
, Space Mountain - the children can't ride it their too short.

Just a note, you should be glad that you didn't ride the Paris Space Mountain....it has 3 times more g-force buffering you than DLR. (Must be those paris safety laws are looser)

I've rode the DLR Space Mountain at least 30 times......I've rode the Paris one once....ONCE...and I came out with so much pain from Whiplash that I decided to not ride that one again....I think the clue was the seats that lock your head in place.

lazyboy97O
04-18-2004, 07:56 PM
Just a note, you should be glad that you didn't ride the Paris Space Mountain....it has 3 times more g-force buffering you than DLR. (Must be those paris safety laws are looser)

I've rode the DLR Space Mountain at least 30 times......I've rode the Paris one once....ONCE...and I came out with so much pain from Whiplash that I decided to not ride that one again....I think the clue was the seats that lock your head in place.

I think Space at DLP is just rougher because it is a Vekoma. And I don't think the difference in Gs has to do with laws. Big coasters tend to pull around 3 Gs. But Disney may want to consider closing Space at DLP if its getting rough and replace it witht he new Vekoma track they are using for Space at DLR and Everest.

The Jazzman
04-18-2004, 08:15 PM
Bored and surfing the net, so... my two bits.

Discoveryland = :)

Tomorrowland = :crying:

9oldmen
04-18-2004, 08:40 PM
I don't understand how you get motion sickness on Star Tours and not on Autopia & The Monorail since both move you around side to side and bounce quite a bit.

Do Autopia and the Monorail have warning signs at their entrances, letting you know about the turbulant movements? Are expectant mothers advised not to ride? I didn't think so.

SCUBAbe
04-18-2004, 09:27 PM
I get quaesy riding Star Tours also. I find it's not so bad if I'm in the middle, but the sides are very bad for me. I do not feel sick on any other ride at the park. Well, one other time I felt sick, but that was my fault. DCA had just opened and it was raining. Hardly anyone was there. So, we rode CA Screamin about 5 times in a row (and there were no waits) and then went on the sun wheel. Nobody was waiting for the sun wheel so they didn't make us get off. They just asked if we wanted to go again. Well, the fourth time around we got off...LOL...but that was our faults.

LSPoorEeyorick
04-19-2004, 07:25 AM
What is Vekoma?

And also, those of you who are queasy on Star Tours should avoid Mission:Space in Orlando (and god forbid if it ever come to Anaheim)... since the G-Forces are stronger than anything I've *ever* felt, and even I, the girl with the iron tummy, got a little queasy and claustrophobic.

CoasterMatt
04-19-2004, 10:32 AM
Vekoma is a Dutch ride manufacturer that Disney has a long standing relationship with. They have a reputation in the amusement industry for providing good rides at low cost - but they also have a reputation for PAINFUL looping coasters. The biggest culprit though is actually ride maintenance, a well maintained Vekoma coaster CAN be quite smooth (for an example, see Rock N Roller Coaster at WDW).

150cc
04-19-2004, 10:36 AM
After reading the responses to this thread, I am scared to even enter Tomorrowland when we go next month! :eek:

Just stay away.

Sadly enough it really isn't worth your time. Once you've seen Honey I Shrunk The Audience once, you've seen it enough. Star Tours maybe has a little bit of re-rideability. Autopia, I think, is less fun as it used to be (because of how much they try to watch you and slow you down and crack down on people bumping each other- and bumping each other is the best part of that ride, everybody knows it). Innoventions is dying off as we speak, with less and less to do each time you visit. Space is closed. Redd Rocket's isn't very good food- at least Club Buzz will have good bands every once in a while and has ok funnel cake.

Stick to the better parts of the park!