PDA

View Full Version : Downtown Dining

MCComposer
04-16-2004, 11:20 AM
I was just reading a post complaining about the Jazz Kitchen and it made me think...I've only eaten once DTD and I wondered what everyone's favorite restaurants are. It also happens that I'm meeting my sister (who lives 300 miles away) at DTD for dinner tonight. (I was thinking about Napa Rose, just cause I love the design at the Grand Californian.) What's good, what's not? Thanx!

cstephens
04-16-2004, 11:54 AM
I've got reviews posted of various DTD restaurants (http://www.colddeadfish.net/dlrdining.html), if you're interested. My favorites are Catal (upstairs restaurant or downstairs uva bar) and Napa Rose. I've got reviews of both locations. I haven't done a review recently, but I've been to both places within the last few months, and they're still as good as usual. I've got menus posted for those locations as well, if that makes a difference.

I like Rainforest for what it is, but we don't eat there very often. I've got a review up of that.

I've also done a review of Hook's Pointe that I haven't had a chance to put on the site yet, but you can read the review here (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showpost.php?p=377370&postcount=1) if you're interested.

Hope that helps. Have a good time, and please do let us know where you end up going and how it went.

MCComposer
04-16-2004, 11:58 AM
Thanx for the response.
I had a few other things I just thuoght of:
Should I /can I make reservations?
If I can't, will the wait be long tonight around 8pm?
Where can I get parking validated?
Waiting for more responses...

Not Afraid
04-16-2004, 12:02 PM
My favorite nice restaurants in DTD are Napa Rose and Catal. I like La Brea for more casual sandwiches/salads and stuff. I'm not really a big fan (they are just alright) of Rain Forrest, Hooks Point, Napels - although Napolini is good.

stan4d_steph
04-16-2004, 12:05 PM
If I can't, will the wait be long tonight around 8pm?
Where can I get parking validated? If you eat at Napa Rose, you get free valet parking at GCH with your validation. One thing you can do there if you don't have a reservation is eat in the lounge area. They have an abbreviated appetizer menu for that area. We had a cheese and garlic flatbread that was very tasty along with the cheese sampler plate. Both were about $11-13 I think.

Not Afraid
04-16-2004, 12:12 PM
Call for ressies, though. The number is 714.781.DINE.

cstephens
04-16-2004, 12:18 PM

Yes, you can, and yes you should, especially for a Friday night.

For upstairs at Catal, call 714-774-4442. The downstairs uva bar doesn't take reservations though. If you want to eat there, you may have a bit of a wait, but I don't recall it ever being longer than 30 minutes or so.

For Napa Rose, call 714-300-7170.

I don't have the direct number to Hook's Pointe, but if you call the DLR dining reservation number at 714-781-3463, they can help you.

I don't know whether you can make reservations at Rainforest this late in the day. If you have the Safari Card (membership card), that will help, but if you don't, I think you would have had to make reservations 24 hours in advance.

Oh, and I forgot to mention - the newest restaurant at DTD just officially opened today - Tortilla Jo's. Here's their menu (http://www.colddeadfish.net/tjs/tjsinside.html). You can call them at 714-535-5000 for reservations.

Where can I get parking validated?

If you park at the Downtown Disney parking lots, you get three hours of free parking, extendable to 5 hours if you get the ticket validated wherever you eat. Or if you have a PAP, you can just park at Mickey & Friends if you're going to be spending more time in the park and don't want to have to watch the clock.

tjrj
04-16-2004, 12:23 PM
My $.02:

Rainforest-concept was fun; my kid's loved it. Food was :shrug:-just ok and the I thought the bill was outrageous for what one received.

I liked ESPN Zone-I'm sports obsessed, I'll admit it. Portions were pretty big-you could split it.

Hook's Pointe was great-interesting menu, good service.

Storyteller's Cafe: excellent corn chowder. I liked the look of the restaurant. Service has been slow every time we've been here.

Favorite GCH restaurant? WhiteWater Snacks-but that's probably not what you're looking for for dinner :)

cryan71
04-16-2004, 07:26 PM
Its all about the ESPN Zone.

CoasterMatt
04-16-2004, 07:43 PM
I wouldn't eat at Storyteller's Cafe again if you paid me to... I had some of the worst service at ANY restaurant, much less one that's supposed to be a Disney restaurant.

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
04-17-2004, 01:27 PM
We are planning on leaving the kids with my mom at the hotel, on Friday night of our trip, and heading over to DTD for some adult time. This thread really helps with dining decisions. THANKS!

kkmickey
04-17-2004, 01:54 PM
Any suggestions for good but not-too-expensive Chinese food in the Anaheim area? I am especially interested in a restaurant that might deliver to area hotels. (And in a perfect world, it would be a restaurant that doesn't put peas and carrots in its fried rice :) )

CarlieB
04-18-2004, 01:08 PM
I really enjoy the Uva Bar. We eat there at least once every time we visit. The atmosphere is great, and the food is yummy. Last year we went there for breakfast one morning, and it was great too.

We had a great meal at Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen a couple of years ago, but from what I've heard over the last few months, it's gone downhill a bit, which is a pity:(

We tried the Rainforest Cafe a couple of times last November, and while we enjoyed breakfast there, dinner wasn't so great. The bar was good though, and the atmosphere is fun.

I'm looking forward to trying ESPN Zone later this year, and hopefully Napa Rose & Catal too.

Btwm, if you want a good coffee, I recommend the cafe at the Compass Bookstore:)