PDA

View Full Version : Fantasmic Quandary

Werner
04-16-2004, 10:27 AM
OK all, I need to get a grip here.

In an earlier post, I'd asked for opinions on the Fantasmic Balcony experience -- how's the sound, do you feel "removed" from the action up there, etc?

Thanks for all of your feedback! Overall it sounds like the way to go, but I can also appreciate the drawbacks:

- Projectors are aimed directly at you so there's that somewhat annoying "hot spot" of light semi-blinding you

- You miss out on the heat of the flames and the feeling of being "in" the show

- The sounds is less "heart-stopping"

OK, so much for the "cons".

Now, I'm planning the balcony thing as a surprise for my parents. They're in their late 60's and don't do well with crowds. I'm afraid the whole "fight-like-salmon-upstream-sit-on-cold-hard-cement-for-two-hours" thing would be their undoing.

My Dad saw F! once about ten years ago, although we just kinda came across it at the last minute and were back by the Pirates bridge. Couldn't see a lot.

My Mom has never seen it.

For both of them, our upcoming visit will most likely be their very last, as they live out of state and this visit to SoCal is a very rare occurence indeed.

So -- I'm thinking the balcony is the way to go for them. But I just want some validation!

Thanks!

Not Afraid
04-16-2004, 10:34 AM
Go with the balcony! In your situation, with your parents and their limitiations, the Balcony would be such a nice environment.

Yeah, it's great to camp out on the hard stones for 4 hours, but, once you get to a certain age, it isn't possible or even fun.

You're making the right choice.

Werner
04-16-2004, 10:41 AM
Thanks Not Afraid! I just needed to hear that! Thanks again, Werner

Kevy Baby
04-16-2004, 10:54 AM
Based on the circumstances, the balcony is the absolute correct decision.

Regardless of which show you get (first or second - although I would especially recommend the first for this trip), probably the best way to get there is through "the back way": take the train to the NOS station and head through the "town section" (as I call it) - past the Blue Bayou to get to the Gallery.

Plan on arriving about 30-45 minutes before the show - that will help you avoid some of the crush, especially for the second show. You can use the extra time ot peruse the Gallery.

Also, I am not sure if you knew this, but there is a staircase going up to the Gallery (I am not sure if there is an elevator). I mention this only because of your parent's age and I do not know their condition.

cstephens
04-16-2004, 11:29 AM
- Projectors are aimed directly at you so there's that somewhat annoying "hot spot" of light semi-blinding you

I've only done the balcony thing once, but I don't recall that being a problem. One of the really cool things I remember is that because the middle water screen is designed to be viewed from the balcony, during the Evil Queen scene, you actually see her through the Magic Mirror, which is awesome.

I do think the balcony choice makes perfect sense for your situation. Have fun!

Werner
04-16-2004, 11:45 AM
Thanks Kevy and CStephens!

I will definitely try the "back way" which sounds like a great way to avoid the Adventureland bottleneck -- and the Evil Queen scene sounds very cool!

Thanks again!
:)