PDA

View Full Version : Jazz Kitchen is off my list.

nightdesigns
04-16-2004, 08:41 AM
I had eaten at the Jazz kitchen a couple of months back and enjoyed it, although it's nothing too special. I decided to give it another try since I was in the area and hungry.

On both occasions, there was a long line out front, but the wait for 2 wasn't more than 10 mintues. On both occasions the seating was crampt, very crampt, and if you're in one of the dining rooms expect to be bumped into by the waiter/waitress a few times.

This second time, the service just plain sucked. We were on the balcony and we seemed to have gotten the new guy. There were a lot of problems with our service/order, but none were his fault. He only had 4 tables and they sat all 4 of them within 5 mintues of each other. That's a BIG no-no for obvious reasons. Between the 4 tables there were 16 people. It took 15 mintues before our order was taken. He was a little slow, but very appoligetic. We order our meal with an appetizer. The waiter has a server helping him by bringing out the food. She brings out soup a few mintues later. I think to myself "I didn't order soup, maybe they forgot to give it to me last time ..." So i dig in, figuring if it's an error, i'll deal with it later. I get about 3 bites in, and the server comes back out says "sorry these weren't meant for you" and snatches the bowl away from me in mid-scoop. I'm like, what the heck, at least leave the thing, no one else can eat it. So our appetizer arrives, and then dinner. The server just dumps the food on table and leaves. My girlfriend looks at her meal and says "i don't think this is the chicken i ordered" and takes a bite. It's not, it's fish. Wait 5 mintues trying to get attention of our waiter who double checks the computer and takes it back to the kitchen and at least came walking right back out with the right order.

Dropped off a comment card, of course haven't heard anything back.

In short, $60 w/ tip for 2 w/out drinks. Appetizer is required otherwise you won't be full. Food is okay, nothing special, atmosphere is good. Not worth the $60.

For a quick comparison. Cheesecake factory (if you go late enough, short wait) $40 w/ tip and dessert, no appetizer required because the portions are huge. Much better menu selection.

I'll stick to the latter.

adriennek
04-16-2004, 08:44 AM
Our very first meal at Jazz Kitchen was amazing. After that they've been more along your description. At best, I've had a couple of fair meals there but for the price, I think there are better options at DTD.

Try Catal or even Napa Rose.

Adrienne

nightdesigns
04-16-2004, 08:49 AM
Try Catal

I did, firealarm went off for half an hour and they couldn't turn it off. They weren't apollegetic at all, was told this "happens all the time."

-ja

cstephens
04-16-2004, 09:41 AM
I did, firealarm went off for half an hour and they couldn't turn it off. They weren't apollegetic at all, was told this "happens all the time."

-ja

Hmmm, that's odd. We eat there a lot, and the fire alarm has never gone off any of the times we've been there.

I agree about Jazz Kitchen. After having one less-than-great dinner there, we're not figuring on going back. We have enjoyed Sunday brunch there a few times, though, and we're likely to do that again.

MotorBoat Cruiser
04-17-2004, 11:25 AM
Do you know the details of the sunday brunch, such as times and price? Was it a good selection of items? Good quality? I'm going tomorrow and that sounds like a possibility.

cstephens
04-17-2004, 04:24 PM
Do you know the details of the sunday brunch, such as times and price? Was it a good selection of items? Good quality? I'm going tomorrow and that sounds like a possibility.

Here's the menu from the official website (http://www.rbjazzkitchen.com/menus_brunch.php#specials). I can't guarantee that it's accurate, though. According to the website, brunch is served on Sundays from 11am to 4pm. Here's a review that I did of brunch (http://www.colddeadfish.net/dlrrests/jazzkitchen092902.html) from about a year and a half ago.