PDA

View Full Version : Goofy's Kitchen - brunch review - April 11, 2004

cstephens
04-15-2004, 10:06 PM
For anyone who's interested, I've posted a review of our Easter brunch at Goofy's Kitchen. Here's the link: http://www.colddeadfish.net/dlrrests/goofyskitchen041104.html. Thanks.

ChipmunkStar
04-15-2004, 11:55 PM
Wow... Sorry you didn't have a fan-terrific time this time around :(

Anyways, about Pluto, he couldn't be at Goofy's that morning as he was attending to the Easter Brunch in the Grand Ballroom across the way. It was actually a very nice buffet with some very tasty looking desserts in there as well. Lots of characters to be visited too (Alice and Mad Hatter, Donald and Daisy, Chip and Dale, Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum, The Queen of Hearts and the White Rabbit, Pinocchio and Jiminy Cricket [who was later replaced by Geppetto], and Minnie with Pluto).

I was just helping out with the photo locations, but the choclate fountain dessert thing looked AMAZING!!! I think I may try to get in there next year. All that food for $52? The desserts alone looked to be worth it....

cstephens
04-16-2004, 10:08 AM
We've thought about going to the Easter brunch at the Disneyland Hotel grand ballroom, but we've been going to the Mother's Day brunch there every year, and since as I understand it, the menus are the same, it would be a bit much to do the same thing twice in two months. If Easter comes very early one year, we might consider it if there's an almost-two-months' break between the two.

As for the desserts, they had the cascading chocolate fountain (http://colddeadfish.net/images/mothersday03/md03-15.jpg) at the Mother's Day brunch (http://www.colddeadfish.net/dlrrests/mothersday2003.html) last year.

pisces
04-16-2004, 10:33 AM
Does Goofy's Kitchen serve brunch everday, weekends only, or just on holidays?

In other words, If I was there on a normal weekday at 7:00 am, when they opened, would they have the pizzas and enchiladas at that time, or just breakfast foods?

Can you tell us a bit about the food quality and freshness: Did the meat lasagne taste absolutely fresh and made from scratch, or was it just Stouffer's frozen? Are most of their desserts made on the premises, that day, or are a lot of them store bought? Was the pizza freshly tossed? I heard something about a make your own pizza bar.

Cindy: I saw on your site, that you have never been to Storytellers for lunch/dinner........that you only like it for breakfast. Is there a specific reason for that, foodwise? Is the Storytellers lunch/dinner not as good as their breakfast foods?

Thank you so much. I'm planning a visit to both Storytellers and Goofy's soon, but I might not want to pay all that money if I felt that the food wasn't made from scratch, and just frozen, store-bought items that they set out.

cstephens
04-16-2004, 11:48 AM
Does Goofy's Kitchen serve brunch everday, weekends only, or just on holidays?

They serve brunch every day. Monday through Friday, brunch is served from 7am to 1pm, and Saturday and Sunday, brunch is served from 7am to 2pm.

In other words, If I was there on a normal weekday at 7:00 am, when they opened, would they have the pizzas and enchiladas at that time, or just breakfast foods?

I believe the non-breakfast items are available all during the brunch, but as I've not been there at 7am, I can't be sure. Perhaps someone who's been there early will answer your question.

Can you tell us a bit about the food quality and freshness: Did the meat lasagne taste absolutely fresh and made from scratch, or was it just Stouffer's frozen? Are most of their desserts made on the premises, that day, or are a lot of them store bought? Was the pizza freshly tossed? I heard something about a make your own pizza bar.

I thought the food quality was fine. The times when I went back to get something else, I noticed that they replenished stuff a lot. I didn't have the lasagne, so I can't speak to how it tastes, and I don't know whether they make it themselves, or with regard to the origins of the desserts either. The pizza was fresh - I saw them bring out new ones regularly. I don't remember anything about a "make your own pizza" bar. I think they used to have something like that for kids at PCH Grill, but I don't know if they still do.

I saw on your site, that you have never been to Storytellers for lunch/dinner........that you only like it for breakfast. Is there a specific reason for that, foodwise? Is the Storytellers lunch/dinner not as good as their breakfast foods?

It's not that I've not been to Storytellers for lunch or dinner - I just didn't write reviews about them. I think I went before I was doing reviews, and sometimes, I just don't get around to it. I've had lunch there once and dinner there twice, and it just didn't impress me. I thought the food choices were rather bland - OK, but just OK. I'll go for lunch or dinner if absolutely dragged, but otherwise, I wouldn't choose to go there. I know others like it, and I've even read where people have said it's their favorite place. That always seems a bit odd to me, but then again, everyone has different preferences, and I know some people hate the restaurants I really like, so there you go.

pisces
04-16-2004, 12:30 PM
Well, I can tell the difference between store-bought and freshly made from scratch, at least I think I can. I have a pretty discerning palate, though.

Anyway, thank you so much for your review and thoughts!

mrs_toad
04-16-2004, 02:03 PM
I'd like to jump in here and add my thoughts.

I have been to the brunch at Goofy's Kitchen several times and find the food to be well above average. I am in the catering business so I feel that I know quality food by sight and taste pretty well. At $19.99 per adult, I also feel the buffet is quite a bargain. You may also use a AAA card for a 10% discount.

pisces- Goofy's is not just about the food, it is a Character Breakfast. There will be many families and lots of children, with characters playfully dancing about and wandering the dining room. I'm not sure what you are expecting for $19.99, but like I said, the food is very good. I, like Ms. Stephens, cannot guarantee you that everything is made "from scratch" on the premises. But I'm willing to bet that most of it is.

However, since you do have such high standards and a very discerning palate, perhaps Goofy's Kitchen is not the place for you.

pisces
04-17-2004, 04:51 PM
I wasn't trying to be mean or nasty. I like the characters and charming theme. I know what to expect in terms of the delightful ambience and atmosphere. I was just wondering what the good entrees were, and if some were better tasting than others. That's all. I'm sorry if anyone was offended.

For instance, I'd read in other threads that the bread basket, and breads at DCA is made from scratch, and fresh daily. Yet, the bread, at the original Park is yesterday's.

I just wanted to be aware of ---- if there were certain foods not to be missed, and others to be avoided at all costs. Dishes served do vary at buffets. And, like Cindy said, some people like one dish, but other people can't stand that same one.

I now realize it's all a matter of perspective, I'll just have to see for myself, and again, I'm sorry if I offended anyone!