PDA

View Full Version : The Guerilla Entertainment Project

KeithOfTerror
04-14-2004, 08:51 PM
To all residents of CA that can be at Disneyland in July:
This was originally an idea by G-Hawk. Much of the experience of many rides, particularly Indy, is lost by the dawn of the fastpass. Therefore, he proposed that a group of improvisational actors, each with a time-appropriate character, dress and all, go to the park and wander about inciting interest in the ride. They would talk about the amny riches of the Temple, the bravery of Dr. Jones, etc. all this would lead up to an "archaeology expedition" in the queue that will hopefully entertain people and fill them in on the great backstory of Indy. If the hawk has the paper he wrote up, maybe he could post it? Anyway, anybody who is interested should post here with a character idea and any ideas. If this works G-Hawk will be a fighter ace and I will be his humble assistant Habib. :fez:

MCComposer
04-14-2004, 08:58 PM
This sounds really cool, but I don't think I quite get it. But what ever it is, I'll be there if I can!

Captain Josh
04-14-2004, 08:59 PM
first rule of GEP:

Don't TALK about it.

Anyways, the GEP is different now, ever since they reconfigured the line queue. Since they force the line the watch the filmstrip in the altar room, our storytelling role has been reduced in the storyline aspect.

...but that doesn't mean I can't tell you about how the poison dart hole mechanisms work, or how we got rid of the bats in the bat cave.

and correction: I am NOT a fighter ace, I am a pilot for hire turned amateur archaeologist, whose primary study is the Temple of the Forbidden Eye. Ask me a question about anything in line, from the tire tracks from when the truck was backed in, to the suspension bridge, or ask me to translate the hieroglyphics, I can still do that. But, I don't need to explain the whole deal about the eye of Mara safety spiel. But, I *could* rationalize an explanation of why the eye thing was so important to the Maranese culture. </ramble>

I have also changed the name of the project to "Spirit of Adventure Tours". In other words, you should wait until I get the official "Spirit of Adventure" webpage up.

TP2000
04-15-2004, 01:11 AM
Somehow I keep picturing images of a few Disney Security Officers and a token manager or two bringing this little thing to a very quick ending before it even really begins.

Captain Josh
04-16-2004, 10:33 AM
Somehow I keep picturing images of a few Disney Security Officers and a token manager or two bringing this little thing to a very quick ending before it even really begins.
well, they didn't figure me out last week....:p

Not Afraid
04-16-2004, 10:35 AM
well, they didn't figure me out last week....:p
Well, they will. Then we'll get to have another round of "those annoying APs". :rolleyes:

Captain Josh
04-16-2004, 10:40 AM
...because talking in line, or screaming on a ride is against policy now, is it? I mean, that's the extent of it. ;)

MCComposer
04-16-2004, 11:12 AM
I still think this is a great idea in spite of security or whatnot. It's something that I think DL should be doing. The project is merely adding another layer to the all encompassing stroy of the attraction. The CMs are in constume and stuff, but they don't really work to perpetuate the story of the ride, which is a really good one.
For a long time, I never even knew what the second room was (the flying to the Gates of Doom) and that's sort of important that you know.

I think it's really fun to play along. But if you don't know the story, you can't. Last time I went to the park, I went on the ride and as we pulled out of the station I looked back at my fellow riders and reminded them not to look into the. Half of them nodded with an "I know" and the rest were like "what eye?"
I just think that it's more fun when you and the other guests can play along.

cstephens
04-16-2004, 11:34 AM
I think it's really fun to play along. But if you don't know the story, you can't. Last time I went to the park, I went on the ride and as we pulled out of the station I looked back at my fellow riders and reminded them not to look into the. Half of them nodded with an "I know" and the rest were like "what eye?" I just think that it's more fun when you and the other guests can play along.

I think it's fun to play along as long as you don't necessarily intrude on other people's experience, especially if you don't know how they'll react. While it might be helpful and fun to some, it can also be intrusive and annoying to others. If I were to ever ride Indy again, and someone made that comment to me, I think I'd just be mildly annoyed. I've been in the position of being near a stranger in line who is intent on showing me how much knowledge they have about a particular ride. OK, well, that's fine that you want to show off, and it might be interesting for someone who doesn't know this stuff, but I really don't need a tour guide, thanks anyway.

Captain Josh
04-16-2004, 11:41 AM
Of course I understand that people might not like it.

The idea was to be unobtrusive at all times, after all. I would like to see it as a voluntary audience sort of thing. It's never MY intention to get into anyone's face. I only talk to my players, and if anyone is interested in what we talk about, well they're free to come along.

Dominguez Grove
04-16-2004, 01:29 PM
...as we pulled out of the station I looked back at my fellow riders and reminded them not to look into the. Half of them nodded with an "I know" and the rest were like "what eye?"
I just think that it's more fun when you and the other guests can play along.

Just an FYI for supporting the idea...

Last time I went, I ended up in the "Driver's Seat" (left hand, front row). I felt a couple of stares at me, as I was the last one seated, and I got the best seat on the transport. After the ride was over, most of the people in the front row glanced over at me (as if I was the one who was really driving). I said to them, "What you looking at? If you think that was bad, you should ride with me as I'm driving on I-5". They all busted up laughing. I don't think it was obtrusive, and I think it lent a touch of realism (if not surrealism) to the ride, and the response was positive.

Anyways, your idea sound really cool, and I'd so go for it.

KeithOfTerror
04-16-2004, 03:41 PM
As Hawk mentioned, obtrusiveness ruins the whole thing. We just always felt that that backstory's lack of attention was a crime, and we were just the geeks to ressurect it.

PsychDoc
04-16-2004, 05:45 PM
I consider myself a Disney geek, so I don't want to sound ignorant with my question. However, this is has really been bugging me. I have seen the Indy movies, but it has been a while. Is the "back story" to the Indy ride the movies? Or is it in the que? (ie the "movie room"). I like knowing the history of the rides as I belive that it adds to the experience.

Captain Josh
04-16-2004, 05:51 PM
the filmstrips in the darkened altar/movie room in the line will explain all you need. Everything else that would come out of my mouth is fan-lore, and therefore very subjective, and sometimes just a personal theory.

sleepyjeff
04-16-2004, 05:57 PM
Well, they will. Then we'll get to have another round of "those annoying APs". :rolleyes:

Well, you gotta admit, some APs are going too much if they got to create their own entertainment.

:D

David R
04-16-2004, 06:16 PM
I think it'd be cool to have streetsmosphere people outside of some rides to talk to people, using the backstory of the ride and as if they are encouraging them to ride. Granted that most rides do not need to be sold to people, but it may be something different and fun. They can change to a different attraction on different days, or through the day. No need to have people inside the lines, just outside providing some entertainment.

Indy, Pirates, HM, Star Tours, etc. No known characters (we don't want a line of people with cameras and autograph books) - a couple archeologists for Indy, a pirate talking about treasures untold for Pirates, etc.