PDA

View Full Version : Tortilla Jo's is open, somewhat

Pages : [1] 2 3

AVP
04-14-2004, 08:19 PM
I stopped by the park tonight and Tortilla Joes was open. The take-out counter was open to the public, while the sit-down restaurant and patio were open only to invited guests for a private party hosted by the owners.

The restaurant will NOT be open tomorrow, as someone mentioned in another thread. They decided to take the day to read the feedback cards completed by tonight's guests, and make training / menu changes as necessary before they open to the public on Friday. The counter may be open tomorrow - they had not made that decision when I was there.

The building is still without a sign. But they were packed anyway - the tables and planters around the counter were crammed with diners.

Adrienne

Promo-Man
04-15-2004, 03:52 PM
I was lucky enough to be able to try out Tortilla Jo’s for lunch on Monday. :) They were doing mock reservations were you get to go have lunch and they work out the timing of the service. It was the first time they had people in for a real meal service. The food was really tasty I liked it a lot. Some problems but that was to be expected and they will have them worked out by the time they open. I would highly recommend this new restaurant.

zapppop
04-15-2004, 04:09 PM
Interesting.

Between yesterday evening and today, the restaurant's web page @ patinagroup.com has been updated, claiming it is opening tomorrow.

We'll find out soon enough I guess.

Lani
04-15-2004, 04:33 PM
Interesting.

Between yesterday evening and today, the restaurant's web page @ patinagroup.com has been updated, claiming it is opening tomorrow.
Wellhp, I guess since AVP posted her info on Wednesday night and she said they would be closed on Thuday, what you saw at their Web page might very well be true, opening tomorrow (Friday).

MotorBoat Cruiser
04-15-2004, 05:08 PM
Just curious as to what the walk up prices are like? I heard that the restaurant was going to be pretty reasonable.

While I don't expect the walk up to be as cheap as your average hole in the wall, I'm wondering if it is more reasonable than, say, the mexican place in Frontierland. (I can never recall the name, I guess it will always be Casa De Frito to me:))

JeffG
04-15-2004, 05:10 PM
While I don't expect the walk up to be as cheap as your average hole in the wall, I'm wondering if it is more reasonable than, say, the mexican place in Frontierland. (I can never recall the name, I guess it will always be Casa De Frito to me:))

I expect that the prices will be a bit higher than at Casa De Zocolo, but the quantity and quality of food will also likely be considerably better.

-Jeff

Ghoulish Delight
04-15-2004, 05:12 PM
I expect that the prices will be a bit higher than at Casa De Zocolo, but the quantity and quality of food will also likely be considerably better.

-JeffWell, what I wouldn't be surprised to see is more choice, including some less expensive choices. At Zocolo, it's a meal or nothing. I would suspect that at TJ, you'll be able to get stuff a la carte.

BTW, it's "Tortilla Jo's." There's no "e"

cstephens
04-15-2004, 05:33 PM
Just curious as to what the walk up prices are like? I heard that the restaurant was going to be pretty reasonable.

Here's the menu for the taqueria/walk-up window (http://www.colddeadfish.net/tjs/tjstaqueria.html), and here's the menu for the inside downstairs section (http://www.colddeadfish.net/tjs/tjsinside.html).

CarlieB
04-15-2004, 06:10 PM
cstephens, you didn't happen to see a dessert menu for the downstairs section did you? I'm keen to hear what they're offering (though I guess it might be much the same as the taqueria...)

Hakuna Makarla
04-15-2004, 06:23 PM
oh boy!!!! I printed out the menue and will be going there for sure!! I even wrote the number down so I can call in my reservation early and we will be going the day after we get to California!
Some one please, tell us what its like, if you get good portions and so on ok

cyberRoo
04-15-2004, 07:05 PM
I got to go to mock service on Tuesday for dinner, and it was yummy. Portions are certainly generous and the chips and salsa are even fabulous.

The dessert menu includes flan, an Oaxacan banana bread pudding, hot fudge brownie sundae, a tres leches cake, and ice cream and sorbet. The churros are not on the dining room dessert menus.

The cantina also has it's own menu, with a combination of items from the taqueria and the dining rooms, plus, I think, a few other items. The cantina also has a tequila list of over 100 items.

And yes, they'll soft-open tomorrow (friday)...

cemeinke
04-15-2004, 07:54 PM
BTW, it's "Tortilla Jo's." There's no "e"
And don't forget the appropriate Spanish pronunciation :fez:

MotorBoat Cruiser
04-15-2004, 08:15 PM
Thanks for the menu links. :)

Pretty high price for mexican food, especially considering the surrounding area, but still, a nice to alternative to the other choices around the park and DTD.

cstephens
04-17-2004, 08:42 AM
FYI, contrary to what the official site says, Tortilla Jo's does not take reservations.

cemeinke
04-17-2004, 08:47 AM
FYI, contrary to what the official site says, Tortilla Jo's does not take reservations.
We were told they would start taking resies on the 5th.

They were open to walk ups yesterday, so we gave it a try for a late lunch (unfortunately missing the dinning room). The food was great, I'd especially recommend the Mexican brownie for dessert. Apparently an AP will get you a free dessert with two entres. I have a feeling we will be dinning here quite a bit this Summer.

cstephens
04-17-2004, 09:28 AM
We were told they would start taking resies on the 5th.

How weird. I specifically asked the woman on the phone if they just weren't taking them right now because the restaurant had just opened. She said they weren't planning on taking them. I told her that was odd because the website indicated "reservations" and then listed a phone number. She said, "What website?" I told her the official one, on the patina group page. She said that was weird and that they ought to fix that.

Oh, well, no biggie for the moment.

NirvanaMan
04-17-2004, 09:45 AM
And don't forget the appropriate Spanish pronunciation :fez:
Ha ha...nice!

:D

tracilicious
04-17-2004, 09:52 AM
it's rancho del zocalo. that's just been bugging me.

Kevy Baby
04-17-2004, 12:20 PM
And don't forget the appropriate Spanish pronunciation :fez:tor-TEE-ya hoe-sazs?

AVP
04-17-2004, 01:02 PM
We have added Tortilla Jo's to the fabulous MousePlanet Hotel and Restaurant Review System (http://www.mouseplanet.com/cgi/reviews/do/find.cgi), so be sure to share your thoughts about these three new dining options with our Review System users once you've had a chance to dine there.

AVP

MonorailMan
04-17-2004, 01:10 PM
it's rancho del zocalo. that's just been bugging me.
Huh? Were taking about Tortilla Jo's. :confused:

tracilicious
04-17-2004, 01:18 PM
]

MM, i was refering to the post above that compared the two. sorry for the confusion. :fez:

FoodLover
04-17-2004, 02:38 PM
At Zocolo, it's a meal or nothing. I would suspect that at TJ, you'll be able to get stuff a la carte.

Just FYI, you can order a la carte at Zocalo (and other counter service restaurants throughout DLR). It's not advertised and the menu boards make it look like you have to order a combo meal, but in reality you can simply buy the entree and leave off the sides. They'll knock $1.50 or so off the price.

This is also true at WDW, just to go wayyyyy OT. :)

Mary
MouseSavers.com

Forbin
04-17-2004, 04:34 PM
How is this place different than Yrivva Yrivva (Yah I spelled it wrong) didn't the old restaurant also do al'lacarte dining?

cstephens
04-17-2004, 04:40 PM
tor-TEE-ya hoe-sazs?

How do you get "hoe-sazs" from "Jo's"?

How is this place different than Yrivva Yrivva (Yah I spelled it wrong) didn't the old restaurant also do al'lacarte dining?

Y'Arriba Y'Aribba wasn't a la carte dining per se - they served tapas, which are appetizer portion dishes. I expect TJs to be VERY different - we ate at Y'Arriba Y'Arriba once and didn't care for it at all and pretty much warned away everyone we knew as well.