PDA

View Full Version : Souvenirs for first time visitors

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
04-13-2004, 09:29 PM
My little boy, who will be 10 months when we go in May, is going to have his first trip to DL. When we went in Oct. 2001 when my now 2 1/2 year old was 13 months, we had a friend make buttons for our whole party that had his picture on them with the Disney logo, copyright problems oh well, and said my first trip to DL. I would like to get him at least something that would show his first trip, for a memory. I read somewhere that someone said there were t-shirts. Suggestions as to where to find them?

Also, my uncle has decided to go with us. He was diagnosed with lymphoma 2 years ago. He hasn't been to DL since 1976!! Other than getting him some mouse ears, any suggestions? Thanks!

NirvanaMan
04-13-2004, 10:22 PM
Gotta go with the Mickey ears. What says disneyland more than that?

There are also some nice fun plush characters that are quite a good deal. I have a pirate goofey I bought a few years ago on my first trip to the park while I was in town on business.

04-14-2004, 05:03 AM
Also, my uncle has decided to go with us. He was diagnosed with lymphoma 2 years ago. He hasn't been to DL since 1976!! Other than getting him some mouse ears, any suggestions? Thanks!

Would your uncle consider writing a trip report for the Pad to read? It'd be fun to hear his impressions after almost 30 years.

My main suggestion is to take it easy. You'll be with small children and someone who isn't feeling well. The main thing is to avoid becoming overtired and hungry.

-For your uncle, a wheelchair might help. If he doesn't have his own, one can be rented by the entrance.

-Put together a mental list of quiet(er) places in DL for him to sit and peoplewatch while he waits for you.

-Your kids will enjoy ToonTown but he may not. It's loud and, well, annoying. If he's waiting for you there, he'll soon grit his teeth as irritating noises go off at regular intervals. That's probably not the reaction you're going for. (Can you tell this is based on my real life experience? :crying: )

I'm sure others will chime in with lots more good ideas. Have a great trip!

Zigen
04-14-2004, 08:14 AM
You can always take a digital camera with Mickey in toontown then upload that picture to one of many web sites that can create a custom T-shirt for you. I don't know of any place in DLR that does this... Maybe someone here will know.

If you dont have a digital camera, they might be able to sell you a CD with the mickey picture on it. You can then upload that to an online picture web site and have them make the shirts. You can also make calenders, mugs, just about anything with the pictures.

adriennek
04-14-2004, 10:25 AM
It sounds like you're asking about souvenirs that you can prepare in advance but as my family's historian I would encourage you to take lots of pictures and be sure to put the people IN the pictures. Don't take a picture of the castle. Take a picture of your family in front of the castle. Don't take a picture of the Mark Twain. Take a picture of the family standing by the Rivers of America with the Twain behind them.

The pictures will mean so much more to you and your family and when you return in 30 years, you'll be able to compare and contrast the stories! My family rarely put people in our vacation pictures growing up. Carlsbad Caverns is BORING without me and my sister IN the picture! My dad has hundreds of pictures of Ayres Rock. Yawn. I can look at pics of Ayres Rock in a book. Where's the picture of the day(s) he climbed it?

My parents have stories about my first trip to DL when I was 5 but I've never seen pictures of it :(

Preserve those precious memories!

Adrienne- woah! This soapbox is getting QUITE a workout this week!

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
04-14-2004, 02:41 PM
Wonderful ideas! I love the t-shirt one. I have a digital camera and a good printer, I have seen those iron on transfers, but never used them. Do you recommend going with an online company to make them so that they are good quality.
I will be sure to ask my uncle about writing for the Pad. Let me know what he needs to do. I am sure he would love to.
He, my uncle, will be taking a ton of photos, as will I, along with video. I always have to stop and think to add someone to the photo, but I had been told that years ago, thanks again for the reminder. It will be a great memory maker for my boys to have their pictures with Mickey when they were babies.
As far as my uncle goes, thankfully he is still pretty healthy, that is why he is doing a lot of traveling while he still can. He went to Australia for a month in October and spent 10 days out at hunting camp with my husband last September. He does tire easily, part of the reason why he won't be there all week with us, so I will keep the wheelchair idea in mind as he does not have one of his own. And I will remember to not have him sit and rest in Toowtown. I remember it being rather loud there and am hoping to hit it first thing one morning, and Fantasyland another morning. My kids do better in the morning than trying to do those things just before the park closes.
Thanks again for all the tips and ideas. I will probably do the buttons again, so that my 2nd little boy doesn't feel left out in 10 years going through his memory box.
And as far as the ears go, if I can just talk my husband in to wearing them, we will all get a pair. I am sure he will do it for a photo. What a memory!

kkmickey
04-14-2004, 10:54 PM
I have three boys, now ages 11, 13, and 15. Whenever we go anywhere, we always buy a Christmas ornament to remember our trip by. Each boy has his own box of ornaments, and he can take it with him when he moves on his own. There is a great Christmas shop in NOS, and there are ornaments scattered here and there in some of the other stores. The great thing about getting an ornament at Disneyland is that you can find ornaments you will not find anywhere else. And each year when you are trimming the tree, you can remember your trip.

JenGood008
04-14-2004, 11:29 PM
Oooooo! Here you go! There are "My First Trip to Disneyland" shirts in the Emporium. They may also be over at Chester Drawers - I'm not sure about that. Anyway, there is a Mickey version and Minnie version and they have a very cute baby Mickey/Minnie in front of the castle with a bit of spilled popcorn. They are SO CUTE, and they come in his size. You may be able to get one through DelivEARS (800.362.4533) if you would like to get it before your trip or before they sell out. Hope this helps, and have a great trip! :D

Tigertail777
04-15-2004, 02:51 AM
we had a friend make buttons for our whole party that had his picture on them with the Disney logo, copyright problems oh well

By the way... just FYI... there are no copyright problems as long as you are using this stuff for your own personal use and not selling them. Despite what many big businesses may want you to think, you can make as many copies of copyrighted characters you want to as long as they are for personal use only.

As for first time souvineers, I hear they have buttons that look liek cast member buttons that you can get your name engraved on, this might be a neat first time souvineer. I would recommend making a pirates doubloon in the pieces of eight shop... but that machine has been broken more often than not lately.
Dont forget the power of paper pieces for scrapbooking: old used fastpasses, maps etc. A wonderful scrapbook piece to use is the fortune cards from the fortune telling machines: esmerelda on main st., shrunken head ned in adventureland bazaar, and the fortune red cards in pieces of eight shop.
Also I personally love bringing audio recording devices, like a tape recorder and having "audio parties" on certain rides... in years to come audio memories are a great thing to have, and take far less attention than a video camera so you can pay more attention to having fun. One of the newest scrap booking fads is in fact, to put audio memories such as these onto cd's and mounting the cd's in paper envelopes directly onto the pages of a scrapbook. Audio can really bring back memories... especially if you have a cd to play as you look at pictures you took on the same trip.

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
04-15-2004, 01:04 PM
Thanks for more great ideas! I love the scrapbook ideas, I need to start doing those kinds of things, I save everything! LOL
And I am definetly going to call about the shirts. That would be perfect!
As far as the copyright thing, what my friend did, and she sold the buttons to the group of us that went, was she used the ears and then put the kids pictures, we went with a group of 8 other 1 year olds, in the "face" part of the ears. The only thing that would have possibly been a copyright problem was the word Disneyland, she stole it, the exact way that Disneyland uses it. We got MANY compliments on them!