PDA

View Full Version : First look: Galaxy's Edge food, toys, & shops

daveywest
02-28-2019, 12:06 PM
Gizmodo has photos of the food offerings expected to open in Star Wars land later this year along with a huge list of fascinating tidbits and things to look for when the land officially opens later this year.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/star-wars-galaxys-edge-the-77-most-fascinating-things-1832883014

olegc
02-28-2019, 12:17 PM
basically the embargo was lifted. Several sites have the same images and descriptions based on their visits to Imagineering last week and the Dland site this week. Entertainment Weekly has descriptions of two major attractions in detail. I wont talk about the details save for one. And here goes - the Rise of Resistance ride is 28 minutes long. That is CRAZY! The throughput will be so slow.

My only 2 comments on all of the information were 1) with all of the costumes that guests can buy and wear on site - I think some guests will have some trouble discerning cast members from other guests. Hopefully everyone will be OK with it. 2) in all of the stories I have read - the writers have all said something like "disney has no comment on how they plan to control crowds". or did not offer information, or whatever. Its one of the biggest question most have and nothing. I feel like they don't want to tell anyone so that they can keep maximum control. I think that's a silly position if true.

Dave1313
02-28-2019, 01:17 PM
basically the embargo was lifted. Several sites have the same images and descriptions based on their visits to Imagineering last week and the Dland site this week. Entertainment Weekly has descriptions of two major attractions in detail. I wont talk about the details save for one. And here goes - the Rise of Resistance ride is 28 minutes long. That is CRAZY! The throughput will be so slow.

Possible thought on your spoiler content below.

This may have been just fans theorizing, but I came across the concept somewhere that the 28 minutes might include some pre-ride elements, similar to how Flight of Passage and Dinosaur have pre-ride movies you watch. If so, that may not make it as bad as it seems.

And yeah, I'm sure the crowds will be epic for quite a while. I have a friend currently planning a trip with his family in July sometime for his 20 year anniversary, and while he has reasonable expectations (realizing he may not be able to go on the rides), he's hoping to be able to at least get into the land just to browse around and see it. (this of course assumes it is open by then.... I'm pretty sure no official date has been revealed yet, right?) I suggested even that might be a challenge, if rumors of lines for hours just to get into the land may come true (which seems likely).

tea4two
02-28-2019, 01:41 PM
... (this of course assumes it is open by then.... I'm pretty sure no official date has been revealed yet, right?)...
No official date, but Iger did say June would be the official month, unless that gets changed between now and then.

olegc
02-28-2019, 02:05 PM
To me - the central entrance is big enough to support switchbacks and the other two can be used as exits - but without knowing the plan it's all speculation.

And note that this crowd may be worse than HP since the Play Disney app will have games and activities where you earn points for actions u do and interactions you have in the land, not to mention some of the interactive things planned with gadgets and toys.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Berry Princess
02-28-2019, 06:56 PM
My only 2 comments on all of the information were 1) with all of the costumes that guests can buy and wear on site - I think some guests will have some trouble discerning cast members from other guests. Hopefully everyone will be OK with it. 2) in all of the stories I have read - the writers have all said something like "disney has no comment on how they plan to control crowds". or did not offer information, or whatever. Its one of the biggest question most have and nothing. I feel like they don't want to tell anyone so that they can keep maximum control. I think that's a silly position if true.

I am with you on this. I read about the one shop and was wondering how this will end up in the end. Hopefully its similar to how some of the things are now (HM shirts come to mind) where one can tell its not a real costume but you are just dressed to fit in the land like one might but honestly there could be issues if they don't watch some coming with costumes/bounding.

With the crowds, I honestly don't think they will know how to really deal with it when the time comes. If they do not have plans in place for it there will be MAJOR issues and complaints. I feel bad for the cast members that will be on the front lines to deal with it all.

And yeah, I'm sure the crowds will be epic for quite a while. I have a friend currently planning a trip with his family in July sometime for his 20 year anniversary, and while he has reasonable expectations (realizing he may not be able to go on the rides), he's hoping to be able to at least get into the land just to browse around and see it. (this of course assumes it is open by then.... I'm pretty sure no official date has been revealed yet, right?) I suggested even that might be a challenge, if rumors of lines for hours just to get into the land may come true (which seems likely).

Do they know there is the risk of not even getting into Disneyland that may come with it as well? Wishing them luck on getting lucky enough to at least walk through.

To me - the central entrance is big enough to support switchbacks and the other two can be used as exits - but without knowing the plan it's all speculation.

And note that this crowd may be worse than HP since the Play Disney app will have games and activities where you earn points for actions u do and interactions you have in the land, not to mention some of the interactive things planned with gadgets and toys.

Yea setting up that app to go with it will not be any help at all in getting people in and out of the land so more can get in to see things. Toss in the shops and food places...I wonder how many Disney honestly thinks they will be getting in the land each day and how many will be left disappointed they weren't able to get in at all? Its really sounding like more of a nightmare then anything we have seen in the past. :eek:

olegc
02-28-2019, 07:32 PM
Some definite reasons to have considered a third gate... But they needed more to fill out the offering.

olegc
03-01-2019, 08:02 AM
I'm being EXTREMELY cynical here - now that guests can get dressed in costumes, with their own name tags, all purchased on site at SWGE, they will be encouraged to interact with other guests and with cast members who will have their own back stories and remain "in character" during interactions. This according to a story in the LA Times. So - its wonderful for Disney cause when a guest has a poor experience with someone - they wont really know who it was and when and if they complain to management or City Hall (if they travel that far and remember why they were mad) Disneyland can just blame it on a guest in costume. Brilliant!

Berry Princess
03-01-2019, 08:34 AM
I'm being EXTREMELY cynical here - now that guests can get dressed in costumes, with their own name tags, all purchased on site at SWGE, they will be encouraged to interact with other guests and with cast members who will have their own back stories and remain "in character" during interactions. This according to a story in the LA Times. So - its wonderful for Disney cause when a guest has a poor experience with someone - they wont really know who it was and when and if they complain to management or City Hall (if they travel that far and remember why they were mad) Disneyland can just blame it on a guest in costume. Brilliant!

I foresee many, MANY issues with all this. Like I said before, I don't want to see a bunch of adults in costumes in the parks. It will be a REALLY bad thing if guests confuse who is a cast member and a regular guest in the park if/when something goes wrong or they are expecting to be ONLY interacting with cast members. SMH

Promo-Man
03-01-2019, 08:47 AM
I foresee many, MANY issues with all this. Like I said before, I don't want to see a bunch of adults in costumes in the parks. It will be a REALLY bad thing if guests confuse who is a cast member and a regular guest in the park if/when something goes wrong or they are expecting to be ONLY interacting with cast members. SMH

I believe everything is going to be fine, Disney already experimented with guest interaction cosplay in Frontierland a few years ago

daveywest
03-01-2019, 08:59 AM
Some definite reasons to have considered a third gate... But they needed more to fill out the offering.

That's been my #1 Disneyland question for a few years now. Why didn't they use Star Wars and Marvel to anchor a 3rd Anaheim gate? DL already brought in capacity crowds.

Part of me also wonders how they are going to handle the current policy that if you are in line at park closure, then you get to ride when the line is 8 hours long.

Berry Princess
03-01-2019, 10:42 AM
I believe everything is going to be fine, Disney already experimented with guest interaction cosplay in Frontierland a few years ago

I don't remember that being cosplay at all but just an interaction experience. Which is really a lot different then what SWGE is and could end up. Fan bases for the areas are like comparing apples and oranges. JMO

That's been my #1 Disneyland question for a few years now. Why didn't they use Star Wars and Marvel to anchor a 3rd Anaheim gate? DL already brought in capacity crowds.

Part of me also wonders how they are going to handle the current policy that if you are in line at park closure, then you get to ride when the line is 8 hours long.

I don't think a 3rd gate was needed but I do think they used the wrong park and area for this. I've said it before that it should have been put in DCA. They could have rethemed Paradise Pier Hotel to SW and a special entrance into that area IF they had stuck it over it over in the parking lot next to it. Had a special themed covered bridge going from the one part of DCA to get into SWGE. Walkways are bigger in the park there for people to move around as well. Yet instead its where they stuck it in Disneyland. SMH

olegc
03-01-2019, 11:01 AM
It wasn't a cosplay and it wasn't heavily promoted. Folks who participated had a name tag and maybe a bandana. And the interest in doing so was not coupled with the opening of a brand new land AND the inclusion of a gaming app to perform challenges.

cstephens
03-01-2019, 11:12 AM
So - its wonderful for Disney cause when a guest has a poor experience with someone - they wont really know who it was and when and if they complain to management or City Hall (if they travel that far and remember why they were mad) Disneyland can just blame it on a guest in costume. Brilliant!

No, not so much wonderful for Disney because it won't matter if it was actually a guest or a CM who caused the problem - the affected family will still blame Disney for it. People already do that - they have a bad interaction with someone who is clearly not an employee but they complain to Disney anyway and want Disney to compensate them for it. And if anything really bad happens, Disney will likely be held liable even if it's not a CM since they would have been the ones who have allowed the lines to blur, and Disney has a very long track record of limiting costumes in the parks so they'd have to explain their reasoning for the policy change.

I foresee many, MANY issues with all this. Like I said before, I don't want to see a bunch of adults in costumes in the parks.

You would also have the issue of people dressed to be on Batuu but who are roaming around Fantasyland or Toontown or Main Street USA instead.

I don't think two properties is enough to sustain an entire park. That would have very limited appeal, though granted to a large fan base, but it's not just the fan base that you need. You need the mildly interested people as well. There are lots of people who would never consider going to a theme park that only had Marvel and Star Wars properties, but they would make the trip if they had regular Disney attractions in the park as well.

As for wait times, when Radiator Springs Racers opened, I think for at least the first week, the wait time at closing was probably 6 hours long. I've heard stories of people who were coming into work for early morning shifts, and guests and cast members were just leaving Radiator Springs. I don't remember what the wait times for Flight of Passage at Animal Kingdom were when that opened but I expect that was pretty long too. So there's already precedent for this. But they could also just restrict entrance to the land itself to help with that problem. I don't know what the queue space for the attractions looks like, but that many people waiting in line has to take up a lot of space in the land.

I don't think a 3rd gate was needed but I do think they used the wrong park and area for this. I've said it before that it should have been put in DCA. They could have rethemed Paradise Pier Hotel to SW and a special entrance into that area IF they had stuck it over it over in the parking lot next to it. Had a special themed covered bridge going from the one part of DCA to get into SWGE. Walkways are bigger in the park there for people to move around as well. Yet instead its where they stuck it in Disneyland. SMH

By "the parking lot next to it", do you mean Simba (I think it's called)? That's Downtown Disney parking, and I'm not sure how that spacing would work, whether that's even enough space for Galaxy's Edge, given that you still need places for people to park to go to Downtown Disney. And building another bridge over Disneyland Way causes a lot of site-line problems as well and would entail a whole lot more permits and such. Not a fan of that idea.

Berry Princess
03-01-2019, 12:18 PM
Yes the Simba lot. Sorry I was blanking out on the name as well for that one. I get what you are saying on site lines and such but I think it could have been done. It would have taken some of the crowding off Disneyland by doing it in DCA but no matter what it is in Disneyland and we are stuck with it there.

The last time we had ever used that lot we were parked over there for the parks. Its been awhile since we have been over to that side of things but isn't the DTD lot still the same as it was before since there is no hotel being built in the area now or is it moved because of construction going on in the area for the 2nd parking structure?

cstephens
03-01-2019, 07:07 PM
The last time we had ever used that lot we were parked over there for the parks. Its been awhile since we have been over to that side of things but isn't the DTD lot still the same as it was before since there is no hotel being built in the area now or is it moved because of construction going on in the area for the 2nd parking structure?

It's the same but remember that at the time they were planning Galaxy's Edge, they had also planned for the new hotel so that wasn't space they could use. And for all we know, they could still build some form of the hotel. Aren't they still permitted to build the hotel, as long as it's where they originally said it was going to be as opposed to the revised location that the city council denied? I have to admit I haven't followed that whole story.

olegc
03-01-2019, 07:26 PM
I believe u r correct - they can still build it on the original location (north end of DtD parking lot). However I think the plan requires them now to accept the tax break (and the $15 min wage) which they did not want. I don't remember what happened in the election regarding the city wide min wage

Berry Princess
03-01-2019, 09:13 PM
I believe u r correct - they can still build it on the original location (north end of DtD parking lot). However I think the plan requires them now to accept the tax break (and the $15 min wage) which they did not want. I don't remember what happened in the election regarding the city wide min wage

Which the min wage thing is silly because the union and Disney negotiated and that is what CMs get now. If they made more then that they got a raise as well. So I didn't understand why that was a make or break part of things...I know there was other reasons to but this one was just odd. I honestly don't know if they an build at this point. I thought when Disney decided to pull out of the deal and drop the hotel that if they wanted to build it down the line that they would have to go back through the city to be approved again? Maybe I am wrong on that but I would assume that even if they were to go back to the original spot they would have to go back to the city to ok it.??

Malcon10t
03-02-2019, 03:33 PM
I thought when Disney decided to pull out of the deal and drop the hotel that if they wanted to build it down the line that they would have to go back through the city to be approved again? Maybe I am wrong on that but I would assume that even if they were to go back to the original spot they would have to go back to the city to ok it.??Yes. But also remember, this hotel plan was a hotel the City of Anaheim wanted, not Disney. City of Anaheim is looking to become a "Convention City", but they lack 4 Diamond hotels. Disney agreed to build another 4 Diamond hotel using subsidies. City of Anaheim pulled out of the subsidies, and Disney said "Sorry, we won't build the hotel you wanted then..." So, it is going to be difficult for the City of Anaheim to get decent conventions (other than the cheer and dance ones) when they are known as a theme park town.

cstephens
03-06-2019, 03:00 PM
I noticed they're building a Westin resort nearby. They're usually high-end hotels, right? Are they not going to be a 4-diamond hotel?

GrumpyGoofyGuy
03-06-2019, 06:06 PM
I know they are building an Element Hotel by Westin just north of the Country inn & Suites, but I don't think the Element's are 5 star.

cstephens
03-06-2019, 10:09 PM
I know they are building an Element Hotel by Westin just north of the Country inn & Suites, but I don't think the Element's are 5 star.

I'm talking about a fairly large plot of land that says they're building a Westin resort - I think it's on Katella.

GrumpyGoofyGuy
03-06-2019, 10:35 PM
I'm talking about a fairly large plot of land that says they're building a Westin resort - I think it's on Katella.

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en&pb=!1s0x80dcd7df31eaaaab%3A0x1f25ec226c8cd274!2m22 !2m2!1i80!2i80!3m1!2i20!16m16!1b1!2m2!1m1!1e1!2m2! 1m1!1e3!2m2!1m1!1e5!2m2!1m1!1e4!2m2!1m1!1e6!3m1!7e 115!4shttps%3A%2F%2Flh5.googleusercontent.com%2Fp% 2FAF1QipPZ9m70McAi4koIlwB56h0TSHd6MkQlfaOSGHxn%3Dw 286-h160-k-no!5swestin%20hotel%20anaheim%20-%20Google%20Search&imagekey=!1e10!2sAF1QipNOdVOez-zsh1IIA_uSGBLIyDQqJLC-GskFG0vu&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiNr7Tuwe_gAhUQQK0KHbsyAtcQoiowCnoECAYQB g

Shows coming in 2020.

Berry Princess
03-07-2019, 06:17 AM
That is where the Anabella Hotel was. It was said that was going to be a 4 diamond hotel when it was announced it would be closing.