PDA

View Full Version : Autopia - love it or hate it?

Pages : [1] 2

AB Born
04-13-2004, 12:57 PM
What is your opinion on Autopia? I've read that some people think it should have been gone long ago and is a waste of space.

sediment
04-13-2004, 01:03 PM
Kids get to drive cars with a parent.
If only the signs changed more often, so repeat visits wouldn't be so boring to the older person in the car.

Hey: DL is not just for you. It's for everybody. No one's making you go on it, except possibly an adorable little child.

04-13-2004, 01:05 PM
Love it!

The exhaust fumes, the noise, the glare of sun on concrete, the crazy drivers - where else in SoCal can you find all that?

DigitalLizard
04-13-2004, 01:10 PM
I used to love it before I got my license!

My ex room mate, funny story, a few years
back thru an illegal "incident" lost his license!
So, because of that and not having his own
car, I would NEVER allow him to drive my car...

So.... we went to DLR... I told him, oh cool,
Autopia is open again (actually on a dry run
weekend right before the grand reopening)
I said, cummon let's ride it, I'll let you drive!

That has been a standing joke to all who have
gone to DLR with me/us since! :fez:

Disneyphile
04-13-2004, 01:13 PM
The exhaust fumes, the noise, the glare of sun on concrete, the crazy drivers - where else in SoCal can you find all that?Don't forget about people like me who ride it while talking on their cellphone, just to make it even more "authentic". ;)

The old man
04-13-2004, 01:20 PM
Love it!

The exhaust fumes, the noise, the glare of sun on concrete, the crazy drivers - where else in SoCal can you find all that?

Sorry for my first post not being about Disneyland, but the best car ride for kids is at Legoland. There is a large course, for kids 6 - 13 years of age, with NO track guides or rails. The cars are electric, so no fumes, but they are able to sincerely bump and bash into each other! (Though of course they're not suppose to).

happyhaunts999
04-13-2004, 01:26 PM
My wife loves this ride, I like it but, it is much more fun to watch my wife bang back and forth on the track. It's a classic ride.

Zigen
04-13-2004, 01:45 PM
Sorry for my first post not being about Disneyland, but the best car ride for kids is at Legoland. There is a large course, for kids 6 - 13 years of age, with NO track guides or rails. The cars are electric, so no fumes, but they are able to sincerely bump and bash into each other! (Though of course they're not suppose to).

But legoland doesnt let children under 6 on. My 2.5 yr old can drive autopia with me pushing the gas. It feels like bumper cars when shes in control. I love it, my girl loves it, its great. I just wish they would expand it even longer, maybe make the track where the people mover used to me.

Also another drawback to legoland is I can't drive/ride in it. How boring for me!

jswtsang
04-13-2004, 01:50 PM
I didn't even enjoy them as a kid b/c inevitably some kid would ram the whole queue of cars as we'd wait to get out of our cars. Also now that I have a license the mystique of 'driving' really isn't there. However once I was at another theme park w/a non driving friend and I told him to try to drive w/o bumping the railing....i'm not sure if he could do it or not

jt
eta, i did love those boats though, no bumping and you could spin the wheel as much as you wanted and fool your parents, just like in mr toads :)

my favorite mr. toad moment was when i was spinning the wheel to make it look like i was driving like I was crazy and my mom said loudly from the car behind me "SLow down!" just as her car began to do crazy movements :)

mad4mky
04-13-2004, 01:52 PM
Hate it.

Loved it as a kid. Hate it as an adult.

My younger kids love it though...because they haven't gotten their DL's yet though. :rolleyes:

But, our Autopia...is much, much better than that at WDW. So...in that respect...I like it. :|

Cancer Norm
04-13-2004, 01:52 PM
Though I prefer the old version I think Autopia is great. The kids love it!! Besides where else can I slam at full speed into the back of my wife and get away with it. :~D

SzczerbiakManiac
04-13-2004, 02:12 PM
Hate it because my 6'5" body can't comfortably get in the car.

disneydreams
04-13-2004, 02:30 PM
I love Autopia! The only thing I don't like about it is that sometimes the car that's ahead of you or several cars ahead of you is just really slow and messes up the whole ride.

It isn't as fun as go-karts but still :)

Gemini Cricket
04-13-2004, 02:31 PM
Hate it because my 6'5" body can't comfortably get in the car.In the car? I say sit on the hood and wave. Have someone else behind the wheel. :D

Cancer Norm
04-13-2004, 03:10 PM
Posted by Gemini Cricket
In the car? I say sit on the hood and wave. Have someone else behind the wheel.

Yeah.....You can pretend you're Miss Rose Parade on New Year's Day!

DigitalLizard
04-13-2004, 03:31 PM
Hate it because my 6'5" body can't comfortably get in the car.

then you probably don't feel like you can fit in MOST of the rides then...
when we went last month my honey hadn't been there since he was
a teenager (and SHORT) now 33 & 6'3" he had a hard time with the bars coming
down - trying not to hit his knees on every ride except like haunted mansion!
I think the tightest fit we experienced was Mullholland tho! That was a miserable
few minutes in that tiny car!

NirvanaMan
04-13-2004, 04:54 PM
I like it...though I think I only did it once or twice....and once I was trying to get a girl to make out with me...

MCComposer
04-13-2004, 05:14 PM
I'd like if the line wasn't so long! THen I could ride it over on each of the different tracks. The wait is just not worth it. I know, fastpass, but I'll use that on something more fun. I am happy that they expanded it though, it makes it more fun.

Kevy Baby
04-13-2004, 05:39 PM
Don't forget about people like me who ride it while talking on their cellphone, just to make it even more "authentic". ;)Oh, I've done that :eek: The main reason I went on it was because I was looking for a CM for someone still at home waiting for said CM.

I rode Utopia recently after not having done so in a while. I was in a right hand drive vehicle, so gas was controlled with my left foot. The springs were so tight (on the accelerator) that my leg was sore by the end of the ride. But it was fun none-the-less

SzczerbiakManiac
04-14-2004, 10:25 AM
In the car? I say sit on the hood and wave. Have someone else behind the wheel. :DWell, if Techie7 will let me....

danyoung
04-14-2004, 01:00 PM
I have so many fond memories of the Autopia as a child ("This is Autopia Control Central with an Autopia Freeway Alert!") that it's still fun to get on early in the day with little or no line. It's not a must do, but I still enjoy it from time to time.

danny417
04-14-2004, 01:15 PM
My 8-year old daughter and I both love it. We must be lucky because the last 3 visits we rode the ride my daughter has "CONGRATULATIONS" on the
back of her Autopia license that they pass out. So we turn the license in to
get a free Autopia model.

lisap
04-14-2004, 01:41 PM
We ride it a lot, so I guess we like it. :|

Actually, I don't mind it when:
-We have a fastpass (or can talk a sympathetic CM to overlook our lost fastpasses...)
-It's not so hot that our legs melt to the seat.
-My kids give me a big hug for taking them on it.
-We have fastpasses.
-We have fastpasses.

;)

Disneyphile
04-14-2004, 03:01 PM
I can think at least one way to make it more "fun":

Buy a Thumper plush, remove the stuffing from the main body, paint a tire track on its back, lay it on the "road", and just stand back and watch riders' facial expressions. ;)

Cancer Norm
04-14-2004, 03:12 PM
Posted by Disneyphile
I can think at least one way to make it more "fun":

Buy a Thumper plush, remove the stuffing from the main body, paint a tire track on its back, lay it on the "road", and just stand back and watch riders' facial expressions.

That's the greatest thing I have ever read!!!!!!!!! :fez: I love it!!

Can we try the same thing only with Eisner? :D